The 80's...

eagle87

The year 1989?

LOL, didn't you know Jahfin, 1989 was a bad year for rock and roll.. LOL

A lot of great music were made in the 80's, allthough, sometimes the production can be hard on the ears.. especially from mid- to late 80's.

LOL, didn't you know Jahfin, 1989 was a bad year for rock and roll.. LOL

A lot of great music were made in the 80's, allthough, sometimes the production can be hard on the ears.. especially from mid- to late 80's.

Yeah, there was some bad production back then (particularly the prevalence of drum machines) but it may be even worse now because of compression.

If you have a favorite band from the '80's you may not have been listening or then again you may of had to be listening very closely because no one comes to mind on this one.

Probably one of my favorite musical decades with artists like Los Lobos, Stevie Ray Vaughan, R.E.M., the Cure, the Replacements, Peter Tosh, Bob Marley, the Itals, Lone Justice, X, Dwight Yoakam, Steve Earle, Nanci Griffith, Black Uhuru, the Blasters, 10,000 Maniacs, the Church, etc. I discovered most of them by simply listening to FM radio and from my tenure at a college radio station. In other words, I didn't have to look hard to find any of them.

Probably one of my favorite musical decades with artists like Los Lobos, Stevie Ray Vaughan, R.E.M., the Cure, the Replacements, Peter Tosh, Bob Marley, the Itals, Lone Justice, X, Dwight Yoakam, Steve Earle, Nanci Griffith, Black Uhuru, the Blasters, 10,000 Maniacs, the Church, etc. I discovered most of them by simply listening to FM radio and from my tenure at a college radio station. In other words, I didn't have to look hard to find any of them.

Out of those you mentioned, I like Stevie Ray Vaughan and Dwight Yoakam but I loathe Steve Earle. I just hope he doesn't become Allison Moorer's "Yoko".

The decade that I think sometimes gets a bad rap is the '70's. !971 is my favorite year for music.

The decade that I think sometimes gets a bad rap is the '70's. !971 is my favorite year for music.

NOT on this board. Here people seems obsessed by it. LOL

Agree that '71 was a great year though.

Great 80's bands and artists: Lords Of The New Church, B52's, Depeche Mode, Tom Verlaine, Mötley Crüe, Chesterfield Kings, The Cult, Danzig, The Long Ryders, Diamond Head and Iron Maiden. Then we have a bunch of bands that formed in the late 70's but did release many great albums in the 80's too, such as Blondie, U2, The Boys, The Undertones, UK Subs etc etc.

Aerosmith

Iron Maiden

Pink Floyd

AC/DC

ZZ Top

Metallica

Ozzy Osbourne

Van Halen

Guns N' Roses

Def Leppard

Judas Priest

Queen

Bon Jovi

Scorpions

U2

Michael Jackson

Foreigner

Whitesnake

Alice Cooper

Just to name a few bands and artists. I liked the 80s. :)

Fvourite bands in the 80's:QUEEN,QUEEN,QUEEN,QUEEN.

Many Americans on this forum, because nobody mentions them.IMO, it's difficult to forget them

Queen gets mentioned here very often. And I don't understand the slam against Americans (or more accurately North Americans?). BTW, we've had this discussion many times before but Queen got lots of airplay here and media exposure via the late night music shows in the 70s. If you want to continue to believe they are underappreciated here (or the baseless claim that "nobody mentions them") then cling to that but it's not true.

I can't say I have a favorite '80's artist (OK, maybe GNR - I still love them). More like favorite songs. At them time I was leaning to the metal/hair metal. Now, I dig the cheesiness of some '80's songs:

- OMD- So In Love, Electricity, Enola Gay

- A-HA - Stay On These Roads

- Robert Plant - Sea Of Love

- Everything but the girl - I don't want to talk about it

etc etc

Queen gets mentioned here very often. And I don't understand the slam against Americans (or more accurately North Americans?). BTW, we've had this discussion many times before but Queen got lots of airplay here and media exposure via the late night music shows in the 70s. If you want to continue to believe they are underappreciated here (or the baseless claim that "nobody mentions them") then cling to that but it's not true.

Indeed. I get the feeling that Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and Queen are the bands that is mentioned the most frequently on this board..

I thought Queen began their career in the 1970s???!! :blink:

Indeed. I look at them as a 70's band.. That's when it all started.

Strangely enough, I had just heard this Freddie Mercury segment on NPR prior to reading the post about Queen's supposed "underexposure" in the U.S.

Freddie Mercury: Rock 'N' Roll's Humble Showman

They were, and still is HUGE. If Queen is underexposured, I wonder how it would be if they were OVER EXPOSURED! :o

Indeed. I look at them as a 70's band.. That's when it all started.

They were, and still is HUGE. If Queen is underexposured, I wonder how it would be if they were OVER EXPOSURED! :o

I view Queen as a 70s band too and I am really trying to figure out why they are being frequently mentioned in the 80s thread! :blink: Sheesh! :wacko: And Queen getting OVER EXPOSED is indeed a scary thought! :o

I view Queen as a 70s band too and I am really trying to figure out why they are being frequently mentioned in the 80s thread!

Because someone mentioned them that believes they never received enough recognition, particularly in the U.S.

Because someone mentioned them that believes they never received enough recognition, particularly in the U.S.

I think Queen had great potential. but I just did not like alot of their song writing. Mercury had such a great voice too. The first concert I ever saw in my life was Jeff Beck. Saw him at the old dome in Rochester, NY back in about 1970. I walked away just amazed but later on I felt that he could have really done far more for himself if he had found a Robert Plant and done more classical rock in the same type of material that the big bands of the day were doing. Take nothing away from Jeff, he is great, but he could have been even more wide spread in his popularity if he had done things differently in my opinion.

I think Queen had great potential. but I just did not like alot of their song writing. Mercury had such a great voice too. The first concert I ever saw in my life was Jeff Beck. Saw him at the old dome in Rochester, NY back in about 1970. I walked away just amazed but later on I felt that he could have really done far more for himself if he had found a Robert Plant and done more classical rock in the same type of material that the big bands of the day were doing. Take nothing away from Jeff, he is great, but he could have been even more wide spread in his popularity if he had done things differently in my opinion.

I think Jeff Beck chose the path he did for a reason. Some don't want the widespread notoriety that comes with being famous, he's a shining example of that.

Archived