Suddenly hip to not like Zeppelin?

Wolfman

Piers Morgan recounted in his column the other week how he had bumped into Bob Geldof during the week after the O2 and Geldof had spoken to him hilariously and at length about how useless he thought Led Zeppelin were. Which is funny because I walked past him after the last number and heard him tell Bill Wyman "That was fucking brilliant". Guess since then he had been distracted by planning the Boomtown Rats reunion gig in a shed at the end of the M23.

In this weeks NME Jamie from The Klaxons gives his vote for last year's worst album as "Mothership by Led Zeppelin". I worked for The Klaxons a while ago and they were all lovely guys with no desire to seem hip. Success has obviously changed them, because that was a stupid fucking thing to say.

And again - who cares? Well I have to admit I do a tiny bit, especially when I think these things are just being said in an attempt to somehow seem 'cool'. Of course, it could never possibly change my opinion, but <_<

Piers Morgan recounted in his column the other week how he had bumped into Bob Geldof during the week after the O2 and Geldof had spoken to him hilariously and at length about how useless he thought Led Zeppelin were. Which is funny because I walked past him after the last number and heard him tell Bill Wyman "That was fucking brilliant". Guess since then he had been distracted by planning the Boomtown Rats reunion gig in a shed at the end of the M23.

In this weeks NME Jamie from The Klaxons gives his vote for last year's worst album as "Mothership by Led Zeppelin". I worked for The Klaxons a while ago and they were all lovely guys with no desire to seem hip. Success has obviously changed them, because that was a stupid fucking thing to say.

And again - who cares? Well I have to admit I do a tiny bit, especially when I think these things are just being said in an attempt to somehow seem 'cool'. Of course, it could never possibly change my opinion, but <_<

I think for the very first time in my life, I'm glad I'm not from the "Old Country". I have never seen such open hostility towards Zep down here, at least not from anybody that matters.

Here if you like Led Zeppelin, you are called a Westie which used to refer to a part of Auckland, but now means a person that believes in the ideals of the Old World rather than considering oneself a part of Asia.

We do still retain an English word for people like Jamie and Sir Bob though.

......Wankers!

I think for the very first time in my life, I'm glad I'm not from the "Old Country". I have never seen such open hostility towards Zep down here, at least not from anybody that matters.

Here if you like Led Zeppelin, you are called a Westie which used to refer to a part of Auckland, but now means a person that believes in the ideals of the Old World rather than considering oneself a part of Asia.

We do still retain an English word for people like Jamie and Sir Bob though.

......Wankers!

I am trying to understand the part of your coment that states :Ideals of the Old World rather than considering oneself a part of Asia. (?) Led Zeppelins past was forward thinking ,Robert Plant was Visionary in his writting.........their music is right on target to address the global issues of Today.......(Jimmy Page going to Japan 1/27/08 ?) .......They`ve covered so much ground It is Remarkable ! I nearly want to call Robert Plant a prophet....he has modestly down played his presentation , stating things in the past that he didn`t know how to write about politics and such,but the relevant truth is:LED ZEPPELIN IS .....What is Happening ON the Global Scene Right NOW ! Those who experience them only as entertainment exclusively are entitled to that..................Some are aware of more.

Re: Led Zeppelin changing up the way songs were and making them their own

It's of no big deal to me, but on Bring It On Home, the opening part before they get to rocking sounds exactly like Sonny Boy Williamson's performance of the song. Just thought I would say that. But I the overall vibe of what you're trying to put across.

It's of no big deal to me, but on Bring It On Home, the opening part before they get to rocking sounds exactly like Sonny Boy Williamson's performance of the song.

...which is why I always fast-forward to the middle bit and then skip when it's over, cos I can make do with the original. Don't hurt me.

Anyhoo, I've noticed the sudden army of people wearing those '77 t-shirts and it makes me smile. More often than not, those people who wear the shirts, have all the badges, graffiti the band's name on everything, have mugs, posters, figurines all through the house, look a bit weird... I know they mean well, but....

I love Zep and don't own anything to do with them other than the records and DVDs, a few magazine articles and one badge that I bought for dress-up day at school. I went as a groupie, but thought if I wore some band badges more people would realise what I was, given that I couldn't exactly wear Pamela Des Barres attire to school. :D

And in my experience, liking Zeppelin is only cool to those t-shirt-wearing, mug-owning people, who aren't hip to anybody else at all. I keep very quiet about it...apart from that groupie costume.

You Know :o Zeppelin were never HIP. They bucked evey trend going in their day. Shotty Jimmy or not. They threw it all at us. All the detractors......they never saw the band live.... MSG, Steve, and everyone you know what I mean. We don't need anyone to tell us what we should like...we do what we want.... punk shmunk. Happy New Year MSG :) now that matters

Re: Led Zeppelin changing up the way songs were and making them their own

It's of no big deal to me, but on Bring It On Home, the opening part before they get to rocking sounds exactly like Sonny Boy Williamson's performance of the song. Just thought I would say that. But I the overall vibe of what you're trying to put across.

I am glad you got some of the vibe, artist prior to them were inspired by the African American blues musicians---that matters , however it doesn`t cover all of what I am pointing to.There is a broad range of things they drew inspiration from .The visionary aspect is more along the lines where the issues (not just the sexual expressions exclusively )are very much forefront on the scene in the world Today. As for a few other coments, the mugs teeshirts etc. if we need to use products as consumers why shouldn`t they be emblems with expressions that we enjoy.We like to have an affilation with the association of that which embodies what we can identify with.I am very much an individual I never would suggest someone do something blindly because of another is doing it.So ,do what thou will,in love with harm to none.

Back in the 80s in high school I'd show up to football practice with my Led Zeppelin t-shirt on. People would call me a freak and a burner. I would ask them politely if they ever heard a note of Led Zeppelin's music.

They would say..."Oh yeah...ummm..didn't they do the teenage wasteland song?"

I'd tell them "Yeah, they did." then I'd laugh my ass off. I didn't have the heart to inform them that Baba O'riley was a Who song.

People who let fashion dictate their tastes usually don't have the propensity for taste to begin with. I know Zeppelin isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea, but there's a huge distinction between those who dislike them and can give a reasoned justification for doing so, no matter how personal, and those who are simply being reactionary for the sake of it (often without having heard a note of their music).

People who let fashion dictate their tastes usually don't have the propensity for taste to begin with. I know Zeppelin isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea, but there's a huge distinction between those who dislike them and can give a reasoned justification for doing so, no matter how personal, and those who are simply being reactionary for the sake of it (often without having heard a note of their music).

A good way of putting it. How many wannabe's have Zeppelin stomped on in 40 years, and how many fads have come and gone giving bands like Zeppelin the finger on their way up, only to end up playing

Zeppelin numbers in cheap holiday camps because their transparent talent became all to apparent

with their off stage arrogance.

Seems lately more people are trying to be hip and not like Zeppelin....they usually say the same crap the haters say and of course have no substantial evidence to their argument...seems like Zep gets attacked more then any other classic rock band too..I guess some people think they are too cool for school and don't want to be part of the crowd...it's fine if you don't like them but their usual bitching is pathetic (Jimmy can't play, Robert has no voice left....nothing they wrote was their's,etc.)....anyone else notice this lately?

P.S. I totally shut this clown up the other day...he was rambling on about how great the Beatles were and what rip off artists Zep were....when I told him that the Beatles were successfully sued more times then Zep for song infringement, he had nothing to say....too funny!!

It's happened before, and I don't fucking care. That's all. B)

Seriously, I noticed it is hip not to like them. A lot of poeple choose not to like them because they assume that people who like Led Zeppelin just think omg they made stairway, or, omg listen to dazed and confused listen to the guitar solo its so sick! Nothing else but the guitar solo is sick! But honestly most Zeppelin fans are no where near that. My tech teacher was like everyone is either listens to bad music, Led Zeppelin, or good music, meaning that in a negative way and I was liek what the hell.

Even a music teacher at my school doesnt like Jimmy Page because he stole the show and tells everyone he is not a real musician, JPJ is and Page forced him to stay in the back and not to be a frontman type. sorry if im a little hard to understand I had a bit to drink, but a lot of musicians feel that Zeppelin isnt that good because they try to be cool and like other things than Page's solos, when there is so much more to Zeppelin, and i mean A LOOOOT more than just pages solos.

Seriously, I noticed it is hip not to like them. A lot of poeple choose not to like them because they assume that people who like Led Zeppelin just think omg they made stairway, or, omg listen to dazed and confused listen to the guitar solo its so sick! Nothing else but the guitar solo is sick! But honestly most Zeppelin fans are no where near that. My tech teacher was like everyone is either listens to bad music, Led Zeppelin, or good music, meaning that in a negative way and I was liek what the hell.

Even a music teacher at my school doesnt like Jimmy Page because he stole the show and tells everyone he is not a real musician, JPJ is and Page forced him to stay in the back and not to be a frontman type. sorry if im a little hard to understand I had a bit to drink, but a lot of musicians feel that Zeppelin isnt that good because they try to be cool and like other things than Page's solos, when there is so much more to Zeppelin, and i mean A LOOOOT more than just pages solos.

That person should not be a teacher.

This thread could be seen as a bit silly really.

Who actually cares if Led Zep are considered hip or evil,misguided,a bad influence on children,satanists,christians or whatever.

Has anybody here actually listened to their music?.

As I see it, you have but two paths that you can go by.Either except that rock music is dull and boring,or Rock music changes lives even if (because of/inspite of) Robert used to wear his grannys curtains.In other words It may not have been hip to like Led Zeppelin even in 1971.It may not be hip to like them in 2008.Fans won't be debating this 100 years from now.Is it really important?

You like what you like, and if it's hip or dorky, so what? Doesn't matter. As long as it makes you happy. I've listened to the mighty Zep since I was 12, and I'm not gonna change because someone tells me I shouldn't like them. In fact, it'd probably just inspire me to stage a really loud Zep-a-thon every moment I was around that particular person.

It is cool to like them, but i never took that into account. I heard "Kashmir" and it opened my eyes. I haven't looked back since. People can say what they want but they are going on 40 years of relevance in the music world. Critics ripped them (Rolling Stone) and then 35-40 years later come out with a article calling Zeppelin "The Heaviest Band of All-Time" and sucking up. Rolling stone isn't credible anyways......but......people will love, hate, and not care about Zep forever, but they are my favorite band for a number of reasons (too many to name at this time) and nothign will EVER change that. :notworthy:

well, from what I've seen, none of the songs that Led Zep supposedly "stole" sound anything like the originals, nor do the lyrics as a whole come close to the original lyrics. a chord or a line here and there isn't stealing, it's what bluesmen did all the time, it's how music evolved.

I could not agree more. what they did with any of the music they "stole" was exactly what it was intended for. to be re-thought and played from a different perspective. the original artists would be proud of what was done with their pieces. also people make it out to be like Zeppelin was the only group to do it.

Even a music teacher at my school doesnt like Jimmy Page because he stole the show and tells everyone he is not a real musician, JPJ is and Page forced him to stay in the back and not to be a frontman type.

Those who can't do teach.

This is completely false, as JPJ himself has talked about how he liked to stay close to the drums on stage and this is why he was never at the front of the stage. In fact Plant and Page used to encourage him to come up front, and he would for Rock'n'Roll, then go back for the rest of the show.

Archived