Who's That Bloke With Percy?

Knebby

I would have assumed it was at the show where Robert performed with them around 1991???

Robert did perform with Brian May & Roger Taylor at the Freddie Mercury Tribute at Wembley Stadium in London (4/20/92). However, this photo seems to have been

taken well prior to that.

Note the heavy jackets and sweaters. If that is actually Roger "Andy" Taylor of Duran Duran in the middle than I'm going to say it was taken on or around 12/30/87, when Robert performed a warm-up date for his upcoming UK tour at the Stourbridge Town Hall. Andy Taylor of Duran Duran joined for an encore of 'Gambler's Blues' and

'Johnny B. Goode'

Edited by SteveAJones

I know they performed together at the Tribute show and I've also seen rehearsal pictures, too. This one just doesn't look like from that time.

But of course I could be very wrong. :unsure:

Edit: oops just see you've edited the post. Thanks for the information but I've never thought it was the Roger Andy Taylor from Duran Duran.

Still very unsure. :unsure:

Edited by glicine

Robert did perform with Brian May & Roger Taylor at the Freddie Mercury Tribute at Wembley Stadium in London (4/20/92). However, this photo seems to have been

taken well prior to that.

Note the heavy jackets and sweaters. If that is actually Roger "Andy" Taylor of Duran Duran in the middle than I'm going to say it was taken on or around 12/30/87, when Robert performed a warm-up date for his upcoming UK tour at the Stourbridge Town Hall. Andy Taylor of Duran Duran joined for an encore of 'Gambler's Blues' and

'Johnny B. Goode'

It's Roger "Roger" Taylor of Queen. There's no doubt. And besides, we still have heavy jackets and sweaters now, never mind back in '87 (or '92).

We still have heavy jackets and sweaters now, never mind back in '87 (or '92).

No shit. Scraves too. My point was they are more likely to be worn in December than in April. Robert did not wear a jacket/cold weather clothing onstage when he performed at the Mercury Tribute. The next real question is when were the rehearsals held.

Edit: Bray Studios site says "April '92".

Edited by SteveAJones

A-ha! So there were what appears to be at least two rehearsal sessions for the Freddie Mercury Tribute. This (circa Apr '92) could well be the answer, glicine.

I have those pictures (and more) at my hand as well. But as I said, it just doesn't look from that time.

But what do I know. It could very well be the answer. Thank you all. :)

Hammersmith Palais July 31, 2005

Jimmy, Brian May & Dan Hawkins from Darkness judge the ABC Trust's Riffathon Live Final (2005) featuring ten guitarists. Jimmy presented a 1957 Gibson Les Paul Gold Top to winner Martin Tomkins

riffathon2005.jpg

According to http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermo...ewsitemID=39863 (and apparently led-zeppelin.com) the date was a week earlier, on July 24, 2005.

Edited by dazedjeffy

I have those pictures (and more) at my hand as well. But as I said, it just doesn't look from that time.

But what do I know. It could very well be the answer. Thank you all. :)

I've gone thru my notes again. Robert was in Morocco with his girlfriend over the Easter holiday in '92 making an effort to learn Queens 'Innuendo' lyrics. It makes sense they

then got together to rehearse the next month (Apr).

riffathon2005.jpg

According to http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermo...ewsitemID=39863 (and apparently led-zeppelin.com) the date was a week earlier, on July 24, 2005.

Thanks, Jeff! Correction noted. I must have overlooked the parenthetical reference. So this was two days after Jimmy signed those 'Led Zeppelin IV' limited edition fine art prints for Rockoptic (Fri, 7/22).

I've gone thru my notes again. Robert was in Morocco with his girlfriend over the Easter holiday in '92 making an effort to learn Queens 'Innuendo' lyrics. It makes sense they

then got together to rehearse the next month (Apr).

Then obviously he should have tried harder. <_<

Then obviously he should have tried harder. <_<

:hysterical:

I think he said he was going for a rockabilly vibe and 'Crazy Little Thing Called Love' fit.

Here's his full set:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eCcldu9O_I...feature=related

Getting back to those photos. I don't have the dvd which supposedly has the rehearsal

footage so don't know for certain if they were taken at rehearsals, soundcheck or both.

:hysterical:

I think he said he was going for a rockabilly vibe and 'Crazy Little Thing Called Love' fit.

Here's his full set:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eCcldu9O_I...feature=related

Getting back to those photos. I don't have the dvd which supposedly has the rehearsal

footage so don't know for certain if they were taken at rehearsals, soundcheck or both.

I've always wondered the date and location of those rehearsals. I've found zero info on them.

No shit. Scraves too. My point was they are more likely to be worn in December than in April. Robert did not wear a jacket/cold weather clothing onstage when he performed at the Mercury Tribute. The next real question is when were the rehearsals held.

Edit: Bray Studios site says "April '92".

You point was obviously wrong, then.

You point was obviously wrong, then.

How do you figure? I said jackets and scarves are more likely to be worn in December than April. That is not to say they are not worn in April. Regardless, the date of the

photo remains unconfirmed.

Edit: Rehearsals commenced in mid-March at a studio near Shepherds Bush in London. The three Queen members spent the first week sifting through and playing material, deciding which tracks to perform themselves and which to offer to the other acts on the bill. When the setlist is established, the other performers attend to rehearse alongside Queen. Each arrival is eagerly observed by the world's press.

As April 20 loomed closer, the rehearsals moved on to Bray Studios near Windsor, Berkshire where the significantly larger sound stage provided a more realistic simulation of Wembley Stadium. The final soundchecks took place at Wembley on Sunday, the 19th.

Edited by SteveAJones

How do you figure? I said jackets and scarves are more likely to be worn in December than April. That is not to say they are not worn in April. Regardless, the date of the

photo remains unconfirmed.

Edit: Rehearsals commenced in mid-March at a studio near Shepherds Bush in London. The three Queen members spent the first week sifting through and playing material, deciding which tracks to perform themselves and which to offer to the other acts on the bill. When the setlist is established, the other performers attend to rehearse alongside Queen. Each arrival is eagerly observed by the world's press.

As April 20 loomed closer, the rehearsals moved on to Bray Studios near Windsor, Berkshire where the significantly larger sound stage provided a more realistic simulation of Wembley Stadium. The final soundchecks took place at Wembley on Sunday, the 19th.

How do I figure? Well, as I live in the country, I'll know that April's have been known to be harsher than December's, therefore your assumption isn't all together correct. Between Feb-April we often get our heaviest snowfall. Added with the fact that 17 years ago, the temperature wasn't as warm as it is now. Oh, and you had to edit your post to confirm that it was in April.

Besides, your original post was about Roger Taylor/Andy Taylor. You assumed that it had to be Andy Taylor because of supposed date and by what they were wearing. Anyone with eyes can clearly see that it's Roger Taylor, and despite being in April, it can often be cold enough to still wear winter clothing. It's not that hard to understand.

Edited by longdistancewinner

How do I figure? Well, as I live in the country, I'll know that April's have been known to be harsher than December's, therefore your assumption isn't all together correct. Between Feb-April we often get our heaviest snowfall. Added with the fact that 17 years ago, the temperature wasn't as warm as it is now. Oh, and you had to edit your post to confirm that it was in April.

Besides, your original post was about Roger Taylor/Andy Taylor. You assumed that it had to be Andy Taylor because of supposed date and by what they were wearing. Anyone with eyes can clearly see that it's Roger Taylor, and despite being in April, it can often be cold enough to still wear winter clothing. It's not that hard to understand.

Let's get you sorted (again).

Average temperatures for England SE & Central S from 1971-2000:

December - Max 8.1 C, Min 2.4 C, Days of Frost 8.5, Sunshine 48.6 hours

April - Max 12.5 C, Min 3.9 C, Days of Frost 3.7, Sunshine 159.7 hours

I said it is more likely for scarves and jackets to be worn in the month of December than

in the month of April. The statistics above support my position. Your position that it is warmer now than 17 years ago is not only patently false but irrelevant -we know the photo in question was not taken this year.

Insofar as Andy/Roger Taylor I made no assumption, I said "if" it is actually Andy then

there is another possiblity to be considered. I'm not an avid fan of Queen or Duran Duran

so I wouldn't know at a glance whom it was, particularly as he is bundled up.

I edited my post to reflect the fact rehearsals for the Mercury Tribute were held in late

March and on into April. We can speculate the photo was taken during that time, and it

is quite likely so, but it remains unconfirmed.

...temperatures frequently reach heights in the UK these days that were unheard of when I was growing up there. Just a fact.

This does not necessarily mean you will see an increase in the average annual temp.

Even if you did, a year, let alone 17 or 30, are infitesimal values in this matter.

Let's get you sorted (again).

Average temperatures for England SE & Central S from 1971-2000:

December - Max 8.1 C, Min 2.4 C, Days of Frost 8.5, Sunshine 48.6 hours

April - Max 12.5 C, Min 3.9 C, Days of Frost 3.7, Sunshine 159.7 hours

I said it is more likely for scarves and jackets to be worn in the month of December than

in the month of April. The statistics above support my position. Your position that it is warmer now than 17 years ago is not only patently false but irrelevant -we know the photo in question was not taken this year.

Insofar as Andy/Roger Taylor I made no assumption, I said "if" it is actually Andy then

there is another possiblity to be considered. I'm not an avid fan of Queen or Duran Duran

so I wouldn't know at a glance whom it was, particularly as he is bundled up.

I edited my post to reflect the fact rehearsals for the Mercury Tribute were held in late

March and on into April. We can speculate the photo was taken during that time, and it

is quite likely so, but it remains unconfirmed.

You think a few degrees higher or lower is about to make much of a difference? April is in spring, four months on from December, yet is only about 4 degrees higher than the maximum average of December; 1 degree higher than the minimum of December. Three less days of air frost; and we have more sun, considering we change our clocks to lengthen the days. You got me - you're more likely to wear your winters warmers in December... :rolleyes:

And my 'position' that it's warmer now than it was 17 years ago is not 'false'. Global warming, anyone? The point I made was that if it can get colder now, how much colder could it have been back then? For someone who often lists their location as various parts of the country, you'd think you'd know about our climate - but, wait, you don't actually live here...

I'm not a particularly big fan and I barely even remember either act when they were at their pinnacle. Still, it doesn't take a genius to know that, with glasses on, it's Roger Taylor.

And, thank you, Aqua.

Global warming is crackpot theory masquerading as science but to each their own. I do know a little about the climate because I am living around the world, to include the UK.

Sentence doesn't quite make sense, but, whatever.

Nonetheless, experiencing the UK climate all my life will put me a little ahead of you when it comes to the speaking about it.