Jethro Tull

JethroTull

cool, thanks for all the pictures. as I said before, Google only shows the CD release versions of the TAAB cover, but I think I can crop that label from the 8-Track that someone posted. Thanks.

I do have another question though, concerning Jethro Tull's summer tour. This is the 40th Anniversary tour, and according to the band's website they'll be doing mostly material from the first 3 or 4 albums. I've never heard Tull live, but have heard they've basically been doing the standard "greatest hits" deal for the past few decades. They're coming pretty close to where I live and I was wondering if anyone thinks they'd be playing good enough to warrant grabbing a ticket and sacrificing a chance to see a couple other bands I like. I figure 40th Anniversary tours only come once, but I'd hate to get to the show and have it be a rather mediocre affair... glad to hear what anyone thinks.

Don't go. Ian's voice is questionable. It IS tempting to hear songs from the first 3-4 LP's, but some of those songs will be converted into instrumentals. What is being called Jethro Tull today, is Ian, Martin and a revolving list of people you've never heard of. It's a sad state of affairs. Oh, the flute is usually more prominent in the mix than the ELECTRIC GUITAR. Probably not what you wanted to hear, but I'm just trying to keep it real. BTW, I'm not going.

Edited by JethroTull

ok, thanks for the opinion Mr. Tull. :)

I'm seeing them in a few weeks - I'll let you know. I slightly disagree with the other poster though; whilst Ian's voice isn't what it was (although it does vary depending on how long he's been on the road) and live they are a different proposition these days (most gigs are pretty much 'unplugged' and usually have guest artists -violinists etc - on stage most of the time) I do still enjoy seeing them. I certainly wouldn't advise for you not to see them - as long as you aren't expect them to be as they were. It'll be interesting to see what they do for this 40th tour though - no violinists on this tour, and hopefully Martin will get the chance to plug in an electric guitar or two.

I'm seeing them in a few weeks - I'll let you know. I slightly disagree with the other poster though; whilst Ian's voice isn't what it was (although it does vary depending on how long he's been on the road) and live they are a different proposition these days (most gigs are pretty much 'unplugged' and usually have guest artists -violinists etc - on stage most of the time) I do still enjoy seeing them. I certainly wouldn't advise for you not to see them - as long as you aren't expect them to be as they were. It'll be interesting to see what they do for this 40th tour though - no violinists on this tour, and hopefully Martin will get the chance to plug in an electric guitar or two.

As I've stated before, Ian sounds better on the early blues based tunes. So that could be good on this 40th anniv. tour. I saw them last in Oct. 2005 and just grew tired of hearing Bouree for the 30th time. Although John Evan(keyboards) and Jeffrey Hammond(bass) from the classic lineup no longer play their respective instruments, it would be nice for Ian to bring them along on the tour and let them introduce the band or something else the fans would appreciate.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the 40th Anniversary tour is under way - here is the setlist from the 1st night at Swindon on Sunday:

-SPOILER-

My Sunday Feeling, Living In The Past, A Song For Jeffrey, One For John Gee, So Much Trouble, Love Story, Nursie ('A Little Light Music' version), Up The 'Pool, Serenade To A Cuckoo, Beside Myself, A New Day Yesterday (incl. Kelpie), Bourée - [interval] - We Used To Know/Witches Promise/With You There To Help Me, Sossity: You're A Woman/Reasons For Waiting, Heavy Horses, Dharma For One (w. drum solo), Farm On The Freeway, Thick As A Brick, Aqualung (standard version), Locomotive Breath

That'll do me! :D

• 3 weeks later...

First time I ever heard Jethro Tull was a short 45rpm version of Thick as a Brick, which will have been in about 1978 - I liked it, and almost nobody else did in my circle of mates. :lol: Maybe a year later a gig was shown on Icelandic TV, I think it was a then recent Madison Square Garden show, and it was amazing. :thumbsup: Wish they would release that on DVD - I have Nothing Is Easy from the 25th anniversary and Isle of Wight, and don't think any others with stuff from the 70's are available (or are there?).

Didn't have much money as a kid, of course, so it was only in about 1980, at fifteen, that I started to buy more records. I got most of the old Tull records in a few years, and Aqualung, War Child and Too Old were some of the studio albums I liked best - but the double live album Bursting Out was my single favorite Tull album. I still favor the mid-70's line-ups of the band, Jeffrey and then John Glascock on bass, Barriemore Barlow on drums, John Evan, etc. and of course Martin and Ian. I think Barlow is one of the best drummers in the history of rock & roll - and certainly very different to Clive from the early days.

I thought it was pretty strange when most of the members of the band suddenly disappeared around 1980, later heard Broadsword and didn't like it, and years then went by before I got interested in any new stuff from them. I finally bought Crest of a Knave and Rock Island when they came, of which I still like the first one a lot.

They finally played in this country in 1992, which I will always remember, because I wanted to go so much, but alas, was lying in a hospital at the time of the gig, so I missed it. :(

I saw them last September, in a small venue, and got a great seat. B)

2008-04-25-1718-53.jpg

It wasn't terrible, of course, and Ian's banter was funny. But Martin Barre wasn't there! There was a young German guitarist playing with them, not a bad player, but totally lacking the sense of style Martin has (more of a metal-style player), so that part of it destroyed much of the fun for me. No disrespect to Mick Abrahams, but Martin for me is just essential to the Tull sound. :)

Yesterday a friend makes me hear This Was . My favourite song was A Song for Jeffrey. So I wanna hear more about Jethro.

This Was(their 1st LP released in 1968) is probably NOT the best way to introduce somebody to Tull's music. I love that release, but things changed quite a bit when Mick Abrahams left the band in December 1968 and Ian Anderson took control. The very next release Stand Up released in 1969 shows Ian in full control and has stood the test of time. Buy the remastered Stand Up with bonus tracks. Oh, if I remember correctly, the remastered Stand Up is dedictated to none other than Led Zeppelin for allowing Tull to be the opening act on Zeppelin's 1969 tour.

Edited by JethroTull

Do you know that jethri tull is about to release none less than two dvds?

First one is called jack in the green live in germany and features parts of concerts from 70, 71, 82, 86 and 93. Many clips allready available on youtube Release date is 20 may.

Sewcond one is a biographical 2 dvd set with extensive booklet and suposed to have many unseen interviews and concert footage. release dat is june 2.

Both of the are officuial! Very good news for tull fans eh?

Do you know that jethri tull is about to release none less than two dvds?

First one is called jack in the green live in germany and features parts of concerts from 70, 71, 82, 86 and 93. Many clips allready available on youtube Release date is 20 may.

Sewcond one is a biographical 2 dvd set with extensive booklet and suposed to have many unseen interviews and concert footage. release dat is june 2.

Both of the are officuial! Very good news for tull fans eh?

Wonderful news indeed. :thumbsup:

I also hope they release that MSG show from 1978 (or something like that) - films of the whole show exists somewhere. Parts of 'Thick as a Brick' on the 25th anniversary DVD come from there, I think. B)

This Was(their 1st LP released in 1968) is probably NOT the best way to introduce somebody to Tull's music. I love that release, but things changed quite a bit when Mick Abrahams left the band in December 1968 and Ian Anderson took control. The very next release Stand Up released in 1969 shows Ian in full control and has stood the test of time. Buy the remastered Stand Up with bonus tracks. Oh, if I remember correctly, the remastered Stand Up is dedictated to none other than Led Zeppelin for allowing Tull to be the opening act on Zeppelin's 1969 tour.

So what is the best album to start with Jethro?

I like This Was, but I want to hear more, so tell me...

I saw them recently on the 40th anniversary tour and I must say they are on good form - best I've seen them for years. Mostly electric, no violinists in sight, and concentrating mainly on the early stuff, including some obscurities. Apart from obvious staples like Thick as a Brick, Aqualung, Living In The Past etc, they did some rocky stuff like For A Thousand Mothers, My Sunday Feeling, Dharma For One along with a few acoustic gems like Nursie and rarely performed songs such as One For John Gee.

The This wAS ALBUM WILL BE REISSUED WITH MANY BONUS TRACKS. dOES ANYBODY KNOW IF ANY OTHER TULL ALBUM WILL HAVE A SIMILAR TREATMENT IN THE NEAR FUTURE?

With the exception of I believe Aqualung, EVERY Tull studio release has been remastered with bonus tracks. This Was was given EXTRA SPECIAL treatment as a 2 CD release with an assortment of live and mono song versions, since it represents the 40th anniversary celebration. The official site just posted an update with a US sale date of June 10. I'm going to probably buy it. My current version of This Was is not remastered and I don't like the artwork.

Hopefully they don't give the EXTRA SPECIAL treatment to everything. That would amount to milking all the hardcore fans for all that they are worth.

With the exception of I believe Aqualung, EVERY Tull studio release has been remastered with bonus tracks. This Was was given EXTRA SPECIAL treatment as a 2 CD release with an assortment of live and mono song versions, since it represents the 40th anniversary celebration. The official site just posted an update with a US sale date of June 10. I'm going to probably buy it. My current version of This Was is not remastered and I don't like the artwork.

Hopefully they don't give the EXTRA SPECIAL treatment to everything. That would amount to milking all the hardcore fans for all that they are worth.

And the sad part is we would give it to them or at least I would

I love listening to Tull, but I went watching them the other year in Liverpool and was soooo disappointed. I don't know if it was the sound system or his voice, but it was all up and down and no consistency. It hasn't made me not listen to them anymore, I think they are fantastic, I'm just not in a hurry to go and watch again...

"Meanwhile back in the year, one......" Genius!

I love listening to Tull, but I went watching them the other year in Liverpool and was soooo disappointed. I don't know if it was the sound system or his voice, but it was all up and down and no consistency. It hasn't made me not listen to them anymore, I think they are fantastic, I'm just not in a hurry to go and watch again...

"Meanwhile back in the year, one......" Genius!

It was the voice.