page/plant '95 - authorized taping?

I seem to recall at the time that it was ok to tape Page/Plant shows on the 95 tour. I heard this on the local rock radio station. They stated at the time that (cassette) taping stations were going to be made available at the shows to fans who wished to tape, free of charge...Does anyone know if this is true? At the time I remember hearing that P/P were allowing this, possibly as an experiment to cut out the bootleggers...Any thoughts?

I seem to recall at the time that it was ok to tape Page/Plant shows on the 95 tour. I heard this on the local rock radio station. They stated at the time that (cassette) taping stations were going to be made available at the shows to fans who wished to tape, free of charge...Does anyone know if this is true? At the time I remember hearing that P/P were allowing this, possibly as an experiment to cut out the bootleggers...Any thoughts?

Yes. That is true. There are a number of great recordings out there to be found because of it.

Yes. That is true. There are a number of great recordings out there to be found because of it.

I was caught taping the 2nd of two nights at the Old Boston Garden. They wanted to throw me out AND take my tape deck (wonderful Sony Pro Walkman cassette). Made me so mad, it took a couple of songs to get back into the gig. I've never heard a recording of this show. Mine would have been about half the gig long...and boy it was a good one for Robert Plant, who in a green blouse shirt looked every bit like the guy from 1975. I fight authority, authority always wins.

I was caught taping the 2nd of two nights at the Old Boston Garden. They wanted to throw me out AND take my tape deck (wonderful Sony Pro Walkman cassette). Made me so mad, it took a couple of songs to get back into the gig. I've never heard a recording of this show. Mine would have been about half the gig long...and boy it was a good one for Robert Plant, who in a green blouse shirt looked every bit like the guy from 1975. I fight authority, authority always wins.

I saw the show in 95 and they provided a place to record the show. It was totally accepted and actually seemed to be encouraged. I have beautiful videos of the 95 and 98 shows that I attended.

Thanks everyone for your replies! This begs a few more questions, though. Why was rockarolla treated so harshly? Was he not in the 'authorized' area or were those Boston shows not on the first leg of '95 tour? Also, anyone know what the original intent behind this was and why was it cancelled? I would have LOVED to have copies of my shows, STL '95 an STL '98, just for sentimental reasons AND for the awesome music, to say the least!

I remember reading back then, that there were -taping sections...

I'm guessing they dug how the Dead allowed their fans to do it...they were at a MSG show I was at....Jimmy probably put a end to it

I have both nights.

Taping was only allowed on the first leg of the 1995 North American Tour and tickets for the taper's section(s) were somewhat limited.

I had a floor seat at the Meadowland Arena on this part of the tour and the taping section was next to me, so I can confirm this.

I have both nights.

Robert was so into the 2nd night that at the end of Gallows Pole he announced "I Like This"!! We liked it too, and said so. If Robert's voice had sounded that good in San Jose, they would have been able to make a record out of the show.

Ledded1 you've been PM'd

Like a lot of Page/Plant era decisions, so far as I know they've never stated publicly what

their intentions were concerning the taper's sections and why it was halted. If I had to

guess I'd say it was permitted on the first leg to combat the inevitable bootleg releases.

I'd say it was abandoned because it became obvious that taping was being conducted

throughout the arenas regardless, making authorized taper's sections irrelevant and

the bootlegs were still being produced and selling out.

Robert was so into the 2nd night that at the end of Gallows Pole he announced "I Like This"!! We liked it too, and said so. If Robert's voice had sounded that good in San Jose, they would have been able to make a record out of the show.

Not sure if you are aware or not, but i have a cassette i recorded off the radio which was a program like "Westwood One" or "King Biscuit Flower Hour" of the San Jose Page/Plant show. The only thing i cant remember is the year...I think it was the '95 tour, though...anyone?

Not sure if you are aware or not, but i have a cassette i recorded off the radio which was a program like "Westwood One" or "King Biscuit Flower Hour" of the San Jose Page/Plant show. The only thing i cant remember is the year...I think it was the '95 tour, though...anyone?

Thats the one I'm refering to. I listened to that live in San Fransisco on the radio at a friends' house (have the cd silvers now), and it was embarrassing for how worn out Robert sounded. The roomates didn't understand what I was on about, but I preservered and listened to the whole show.

My point being the pro decks are never rolling when these guys are on fire. Love the Shake My Tree from this show though, and Calling to You was rockin as well. If only they recorded the 2nd Boston Garden show, you would here Robert doing the best he could on a scale of 1 to 10.

I'm not sure what Ledded1's point was. Obviously I wasn't in the tapers section. Not sure if the Garden staff got paid enough to give a damn about tapers or sections.

Sat, May 20th 1995 San Jose Arena 525 West Santa Clara Street 95113

Professionally recorded and has aired on Westwood One's nationally-syndicated radio program 'Superstar Concert Series' at least four times:

Nov 13th 1995 / Jun 10th 1996 / Dec 1996 / Jul 27th 1998

The original Westwood release is on two cds, as are the many silver cd bootlegs.

Is there any reason that they've never released any of these shows officially? Apart from the Unledded material, of course.

Define officially. To me, if they allowed Westwood One to professionally record and air

this concert, as they did, it constitutes an "official" release. Perhaps you meant to say

commercially, as in a retail sales release? If so, I would say it's because the demand is

not there (from a corporate business decision standpoint).

Thats the one I'm refering to. I listened to that live in San Fransisco on the radio at a friends' house (have the cd silvers now), and it was embarrassing for how worn out Robert sounded. The roomates didn't understand what I was on about, but I preservered and listened to the whole show.

Yeah, I didn't wanna mention that, but you jarred my memory...I also listened to this (and taped it) during the broadcast...cant remember if it was broadcast "live" or not, that is during the show...

the performance (and Robt) did sound, well, tired...

Define officially. To me, if they allowed Westwood One to professionally record and air

this concert, as they did, it constitutes an "official" release. Perhaps you meant to say

commercially, as in a retail sales release? If so, I would say it's because the demand is

not there (from a corporate business decision standpoint).

Yes, I meant commerically. It's a pity, really, that there isn't a demand. After watching numerous performances on youtube, I thought that maybe there were limited releases of these shows that were available for short periods of time and I had missed out.

My tape of the 2nd New Orleans show in 95 may be somewhat marred in that everyone was screaming so loud that you can't hear House of the Rising Sun too well and that my friend and I were signing REALLY off key with the "ahh ahh" replys to Robert during Black Dog... but it makes for one hell of a souvenir.

Beats the hell out of any T-shirt!!!

My tape of the 2nd New Orleans show in 95 may be somewhat marred in that everyone was screaming so loud that you can't hear House of the Rising Sun too well and that my friend and I were signing REALLY off key with the "ahh ahh" replys to Robert during Black Dog... but it makes for one hell of a souvenir. I loved the taping section concept.

Beats the hell out of any T-shirt!!!

My first post and I'm up on my soapbox:

I was at the San Jose show and one of the highlights was Robert Plant calling us "Santa Fe", It was a great show to see and hear though even if Robert didn't know where he was, it was also after this show when Jimmy had his smoking in the bathroom incident.

I also have both nights in Atlanta from the tapers section and it is so unfortunate that they dropped Achilles Last Stand, the shows lacked that intensity after it was gone and

even though The Song Remains The Same kicked !@# it wasn't Achilles.

Oldtimingman

Did the authorized taping include video as well as audio? I just found out that a (partial) video exits of the 5/22/98 Miami show that I'm searching high & low for...

Hey, could someone explain Jimmy's San Jose "smoking in the bathroom incident"?! Thanks :)

Archived