Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
GibsonGirl

What are you playing right now?

the last thing i tried playing was black mountain side last night. i've never tried to play that before. interesting picking and fingering...

Misty Mountain Hop

I was screwin around with that one the other day is the timeing a little tricky for you or is it just me!!

I was screwin around with that one the other day is the timeing a little tricky for you or is it just me!!

try counting it out in 2's & 3's

ya know that acutally helped but please change your avatar i fell like im getting my ass kicked by a pussy cat :D

ya know that acutally helped but please change your avatar i fell like im getting my ass kicked by a pussy cat :D

haha no way..the biffbonk kitty is legion, and the only thing in the universe feared by chuck norris

It isn't hard to do, when you practice...

I like to hear it when i'm in love... It is Very romantic really! Some people don't like It, but I think It is one of the best songs on HOTH...

I agree on it being one of the best tracks, I love D'Yer Mak'er!! Well, if its not that hard then I might give it a go :D . It has awesome drums too

ya know i once heard that one tear from chuck norris could cure cancer the problem is chuck norris never cries!!! :D

ya know i once heard that one tear from chuck norris could cure cancer the problem is chuck norris never cries!!! :D

:hysterical: :hysterical:

I was fortunate enough to take some lessons from him years ago...he really helped me with my picking. One of the things he stressed is to be aware of whether you should start with up or down strokes, and be consistent in that approach(it basically comes down to moving in the right direction when moving to another string...it really eliminates excess motion and cleans up your technique)

Yeh I just did the picking thing and hey presto I notice that difference already on Technical Difficulties :)

Yeh I just did the picking thing and hey presto I notice that difference already on Technical Difficulties :)

It takes a little work and forces you to really focus on what you are doing. If you take the time to apply it to everything you play it starts to become automatic and makes a world of difference

I agree on it being one of the best tracks, I love D'Yer Mak'er!! Well, if its not that hard then I might give it a go :D . It has awesome drums too

Oh about the drums, and Zep songs are almost all of these ones very good. And D'yer Ma'ker sounds like a Reggae, very good! And is a nice Plant performance too!

Right now im in a DADG tunning on my bass and im learning the fab four of tool. Schism, Sober, Reflection, and Forty six to two.

Interesting. I play the guitar. Didnt know bass players used that tuning.

I just found out all about this and i been playing for 10 years. The tunning of a bass is kinda weird. in a 5 string it could mean a (B)EADG (metal) or a Jazz tunning EADG© which is weird because a guitar goes EADG(B)E, but then again i thought you skip 4 semi note for each string so a guitar should go like EADGCF which is also the tunning for a 6 string bass, not EADGBE. I'm also led to believe that when 5 string basses go to the metal (B)EADG not Jazz EADG© it's to get the notes deeper, but usually to prevent a Sloppy B,(string is too loose) the neck must go to a 34in to a 35in, in which a 35in neck length makes the notes deeper anyway.(JPJ went to a 35in scale for O2). If the guitarist goes dropped-D then the bass usally goes the same.

some notable tuning's that i know

No quarter has a EBDG which is that deep bass note in the beginning. My book states +8tave (?)

Another one bites the dust for queen goes EbADG

Now i could be wrong because there is no information on this anywhere. so if anybody has info please post.

No quarter has a EBDG which is that deep bass note in the beginning. My book states +8tave (?)

Now i could be wrong because there is no information on this anywhere. so if anybody has info please post.

Standard music notation often writes very low or very high parts up or down an octave to make it easier to read

But wouldn't the norm/standard tuning for a bass be the same as the first four on guitar (low to high) so EADG????? I wonder how JPJ tuned his for the O2?

Yes i believe so. JPJ still did EADG, but with the longer neck the pitch(?) is lower. I made the mistake of saying a 6 string goes EADGCF but normally it goes BEADGC, the tunning JPJ runs on his six string. His 10 string is a double stringed EADGC and his twelve is triple stringed EADG. Guitars players play chords and bassist plays notes so the retunnig of a bass is only for certin effects. which leads to the next point

Standard music notation often writes very low or very high parts up or down an octave to make it easier to read

That what i thought also, but i read somewhere else that is was this E(B)DG but i may got that wrong because E(D)DG or E©DG makes more sense to me. This only for that one note. and to get that lower octave on a bass, which i think you may could do on a BEADG 5 string.

as i said before im just starting to learn all about this so i may be wrong.

While Ive got you on the subject of tuning. I havent picked up a 12 string in years. Used to know the tuning but have forgotten. Isnt it an octave higher on 4 of the 6 strings or all 6?? So ie EADGBE in standard tuning and you would tune the second string an octave higher?

there are many variations, the most common being to tune the lower 3 courses in octaves and the higher ones in unison. A very cool variation is to only double the low strings, you get the jangly sounding chords on the low strings and the freedom of single strings on the high ones

Yeah I think JPJ owns that kind of a Six (or a 7) string bass also. The top two strings are doubled. and the bottom two (or three) single strung (EADG©). When i first heard Jonsey used a 8 string bass for Achillies Last Stand, i was pissed i couldn't find a pic of it. I oringnaly thought it was one of those 1 foot wide fretboard one's, but it was double up like a twelve string guitar. I never new they made basss like that. I just played a Schector 8 string, it was nice and only 450, once i figured out my next No.1 (Im debating between a Washburn and the Fender 24) i may go buy that 8 string.

I'm no Chili Peppers fan but after hearing 'Can't Stop' again I've been picking out that riff.

So funky. So good.

Do you mean classical or classic rock?? And I get out some but how can I when I have to worry about the younger generation learning that the best music, especially Led Zeppellin, was created so long ago. There is never going to be another Led Zeppelin. Face it. They are the peak of all music ever created. I have no doubt. And Page is the master!!!!

classical as in 19th century Norwegian composer kind of classical. I've never actually played much classical but this song is fun and great for warming up. You'd know it if you heard it.

and it's actually Grieg, not Greig :blush:

Edited by GibsonGirl