Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
GibsonGirl

What are you playing right now?

Did play Burn earlier, love the way Blackmore combines half a blues type solo with a neo classical solo and pieces them together, then I played my own stuff !!

Update, I just came across a song for the guilty pleasures thread, which was a song i loved that had no guitar in it, just bass keys and drums in 1980, it was OMD Enola Gay !! I knowe my rock credentials are taking a dip lol !! any how i loved hearing it again after 20 odd years that I decided to play the keyboard bit on guitar and its a nice little riff !!

I find alot early 80's songs where there are no Guitar or very little are actually good songs and putting and playing the keyboard bits on guitar turns them into great rock songs !!

A good example is the riff to Cars by gary numan, works so well on distorted guitar !!

Edited by leddy

I have been recently doing a cover of a song called 'Wedding Nails' by Porcupine Tree. That along with a loada Zeppelin songs. I don't really do many covers, I stick to original stuff I have written.

Dusted off the Strat and turned up the delay for a night of U2's Where the Streets Have no Name and Bad.

I'm not a keyboardist ... but I got a Casio WK-3300 for about 300 dollars ... AND I LOVE IT!

You can downlaod tones, MIDIS and rhythms from the Casio site ... and customize your keyboard with all sorts of downloadable effects, too.

It has touch sensitve keys and all sorts of other features I have no idea about. (like I said, I'm not a keyboard player).

But it has a SD card port to save recordings ... and all sorts of other stuff. I'm having fun learning.

Anyway ... it's WAY more than I ever expected or needed. I basically got it to help teach music theory to my guitar students.

I am SO going to learn piano now.

I have so much fun with this thing!

-0-

Highway to Hell! by the wonderful Acca Dacca

Mildly attempting Ramble On too, but I'm way out on the timing, its seriously out of whack! (or at least thats my excuse :P )

Highway to Hell! by the wonderful Acca Dacca

Mildly attempting Ramble On too, but I'm way out on the timing, its seriously out of whack! (or at least thats my excuse :P )

Are you playing Ramble on with an acoustic? Bar chord in the 7th fret (E)?

I'm trying to learn acoustic guitar. Learning the fingering and movements isn't especially hard, but I'm having trouble picking up reading music. Anyone have advice on a good learn-to-read music book or technique?

Sheet music? Like, staff? If that's what you're talking about, you should start off with tabs, they're way quicker to learn, and it's better when you're first getting started.

Sheet music? Like, staff? If that's what you're talking about, you should start off with tabs, they're way quicker to learn, and it's better when you're first getting started.

Depends how far you want to take things. For tabs to work you have to know the music. A lot of classical stuff you really have to hunt around for recordings so in theory from a score you dont need to have heard the piece.

My advice to any guitarist is learn the scales, major, minor, harmonic minors etc, bit boring but its good fingering practice and if you want to go electric and start fret wanking with the best of them its a great start.

I didn't think there was a bar chord of E, apart from the octave, (F pattern at 12th fret) I just play a normal e chord and a bar at the 7th, doesn't seem right

Nope, I don't have an acoustic. But yes, I am playing the bar chord on the seventh fret, so at least it sounds like I have something right.

I am playing D'yer M'aker. Very nice guitar... B)

oh, I wish I could play that!

It has a very 'jolly' sound :). It sounds kind of romantic too.

I have done the first part of Technical Difficulties..Racer X....Since You been gone ..Rainbow, what a fantastic outro solo, Blackmore at his melodic best , the phrasing is so cool !! and some of my own !!

Edited by leddy

I have done the first part of Technical Difficulties..Racer X....Since You been gone ..Rainbow, what a fantastic outro solo, Blackmore at his melodic best , the phrasing is so cool !! and some of my own !!

I've been playing around with technical difficulties too, from watching this:

Technical difficulties

main problem I've had with it is Pauls pinky is longer than my arm, some of those stretches are freakin ridiculous

oh, I wish I could play that!

It has a very 'jolly' sound :). It sounds kind of romantic too.

It isn't hard to do, when you practice...

I like to hear it when i'm in love... It is Very romantic really! Some people don't like It, but I think It is one of the best songs on HOTH...

I've been playing around with technical difficulties too, from watching this:

Technical difficulties

main problem I've had with it is Pauls pinky is longer than my arm, some of those stretches are freakin ridiculous

LOL yes he does have a very long pinky !!!! I have done up to 2.07, I have to say I have it in time but not up to his speed. I just find it such a good practice piece to do. I do however in the intro bit where he does the 3 note per string thing before going back to main riff use hammer ons and not pick them as he does (not good enough) also when it comes to the diminshed arpeggio up at the 17th fret (14th and 11th) I pick them when he pulls off, but gain my hand aint that big and i am afraid I can't do it so its picking there for me !!..his picking is incredible. One of my fave shredders !!!

Edited by leddy

LOL yes he does have a very long pinky !!!! I have done up to 2.07, I have to say I have it in time but not up to his speed. I just find it such a good practice piece to do. I do however in the intro bit where he does the 3 note per string thing before going back to main riff use hammer ons and not pick them as he does (not good enough) also when it comes to the diminshed arpeggio up at the 17th fret (14th and 11th) I pick them when he pulls off, but gain my hand aint that big and i am afraid I can't do it so its picking there for me !!..his picking is incredible. One of my fave shredders !!!

I was fortunate enough to take some lessons from him years ago...he really helped me with my picking. One of the things he stressed is to be aware of whether you should start with up or down strokes, and be consistent in that approach(it basically comes down to moving in the right direction when moving to another string...it really eliminates excess motion and cleans up your technique)

IMTOD on slide in C tuning :P

:D hey i am just passing on whats in 2 books of music and what I found on the net !! they all say open A, but mate if you can do it in C tuning then cool !! Just go and ask Jimmy :) !! I like to think i know it all and can play well, but in all honesty I don't know it all and amjust ok at playing lol !!

Edited by leddy

I was fortunate enough to take some lessons from him years ago...he really helped me with my picking. One of the things he stressed is to be aware of whether you should start with up or down strokes, and be consistent in that approach(it basically comes down to moving in the right direction when moving to another string...it really eliminates excess motion and cleans up your technique)

Thats very cool having a lesson by him !! thanks for the advice on picking !!!