Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
GibsonGirl

What are you playing right now?

QUOTE (redeyedrichard @ Feb 12 2008, 06:49 PM)

I decided to learn "Crazy Train" by Black Sabbath the other day....did it in about an hour. Piss easy.

Great riff.

You mean by Ozzie from the Blizzard of Oz album I assume? As for easy do you mean the opening hamering riff and main rythym? Then there is the lead where he opens with a "trill" hammering with the right finger and the left ring finger and then moving up before picking? I play it too, but wouldnt classify it as easy for a beginner or intermediate player. The lead that Rhodes plays is very clever. Very differant than many typical leads. The song is a classic. I would call a song like Smoke on the Water easy. So it depends on what you are talking about. the rythim or the lead.

Yes to say its piss easy, maybe for an advanced player but to a beginner know, and i hope as he have started teching he doesn't make his beginners feel like oh this should be piss easy !!

I play this song and do love playing it, its got some interesting bits to work thru even for more experienced players, if played correctly ! Also to play like the original greats like rhoads takes musicality and years of being able to play it with the feel , thats something you cannot teach, it comes from the heart !

Edited by leddy

I agree. This is not in the easy category like Smoke on the Water for Gods sake. sounds like he is bragging. Many guitar players have probably never used a "trill" technique and some one showed me how to play it years ago. Not one of those thats easy to figure out by ear. The part that starts out the lead after Ozzie screams out yeah yeah yeahhh.

Yeh the riff to Smoke is a nice one to start as a beginner, but the solo takes a little more effort and is wonderful !!

Cream - Steppin' Out

Pretty awesome song, love the opener

other day i was working on my picking skills to Michael Angelo Batio :coffee: pretty tough

Yeah Leddy. Of course Ive played the main riff (what guitar player hasnt). I have only fooled around with the lead. Never really got it down perfect, but its not one of those leads that is as signature as lets say the one in Stairway for instance. You may not agree as I see you are quite the puple fan. i used to be back in the 70s. Still love Machine Head the best. But I havent owned any Purple in so long. Their keyboard player (Lord) i have always said was second only to Emerson.

Yeh if it hadn't been for Zep then Purple would have been number one one for me !!

Just been playing Joe Satriani Always With You Always with me, well been learning it, I have done up to and after the tapping bit and reprise, just the last outro lead lick to do !!!Once thats done I will attempt it with the backing track i have !!

Edited by leddy

Well Ive heard alot of this Satriani guy. but cant say I know much of his music. After your post yesterday I got the urge to play smoke on the water and looked up the lead tabs. Mosty between frets 12 and 15 and improvise. Good stuff, classic song. Been changing tuningns like crazy. Back and forth. I think that Smoke on the Water and Iron Man are two of the first real riff songs the old timers like us really went after.

Smoke riff was the first ever thing I did on Guitar lol !!

Here is the great Joe Satriani and Always with you

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=F4fPv450OYM

yeah he's good, i'll give him that, but im not really a fan.

I prefer Michael Angelo compared with him, just based on how impressive they play.

I won't give you a tube link because you guys will probably say im crazy

actually i will

early days

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7348121519212763390

latter days

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=UiT6qtM09tI

I play Bron-Y-Aur Stomp in DGDGAD, thats what Jimmy uses to play it live....although I think on the record he uses an entirely different tuning. It is way better live and a great tune to learn. We play it live all the time as part of our set...good one for the audience to clap to.

Do you have a tab for that ?

Well Ive heard alot of this Satriani guy. but cant say I know much of his music. After your post yesterday I got the urge to play smoke on the water and looked up the lead tabs. Mosty between frets 12 and 15 and improvise. Good stuff, classic song. Been changing tuningns like crazy. Back and forth. I think that Smoke on the Water and Iron Man are two of the first real riff songs the old timers like us really went after.

So how would you like the sound of Joe Satriani playing Smoke on the Water? :D

I seriously can't find a good video though.

Prelude, Siciliano and Rondo- Malcom Arnold

I like the Deep Purple conection there with Mr Arnold !!

Well anyone with a few weeks of playing or days should I say can play the main riff to Smoke on the Water. dont need to be a big name guy to do that. Just ask my neighbors who heard me blasting it yesterday. They are probably ready to throw me to the wolves.

Yes I think he ment that Satriani did some touring with Deep purple in the 93 era when black more quit just a few days or weeks after i saw them, so Satriani filled his shoes to the end of the tour !!

Thing is though people should go and learn the solo from Smoke, not doodle but learn it as it was as its so great !!

Edited by leddy

Hey, I bought a Bougharabou some weeks ago! I try to play several rhythms with open hands and floating hands and open hands and floating hands..... Great fun.... yeah - at least sometimes.....!

At the moment I'm struggeling with the "Sofa", a Malinke rhythm which is traditionally drummed when a highly regarded person is entering the szene in order to show common respect... Didn't know that it can be really hard to manage eight simple beats with two hands!

And here is the "Tumbao": bass tip slap tip bass tip open open....... :rant:

Any traditional djembe people here on the board?

My current list of songs I'm working on.

Death Letter-Son House

Sweet Home Chicago-Robert Johnson (done his way)

Killing Floor-Howlin' Wolf

Everybody's Got To Change Sometime-Taj Mahal

I think Ive got the general lead down but I doutb its EXACTLY the same as Blackmore/ But it isnt really signature. Mayeb Im wrong. Dont have the record any more. Need to go get the CD. I think it ends with him doing a major bend on one note and then just kind of hammering it as he gradually realeases the bend-if you know what I mean. I think alot of the lead is played between 12-15 frets? Being such a big Purple fan, isnt Lazy mostly Keyboards? I havent heard it in years. I think that was the one that really impressed me with Lord. Maybe Im thinking of a differant song? But Machine Head to me was there best album,. I also had Purple Passages which had greatest hits from their early stuff. Later

Yeh Lazy has a big solo keyboard intro, but then in the song itself Blackmore has 2 0r 3 great solos in it too, Its a great Purple jam song live !!

I am playing YYZ by Rush, what a great intrumental and the time changes in it keep you on your toes !!

You mean XYZ from Moving Pictures. Nice lick. I used to fiddle with it. Biggest problem I have sometimes is just with memory. That is why I like tabs. I had the tab to this before and used to play it. Its been a while. Limelight and Tom Sawyer also. Been playng a little Ted Nugent lately. Much as I cant stand the man, I like some of the licks like Hey Baby.

No mate its YYZ !!! and I play all the song , not just the lick !! the solo is almost all legato and is lifeson at his original best !! Ted Nudgent as you say is an arsehole lol !!!

Smells Like Teen Spirit, if you can believe it! I know its so simple, but I just never bothered with it before. I know I'm backtracking a bit, but for my age group, playing that song is like a rights of passage :) .

I'm going to a Music School and I'm playing professionally the Flute, but I love to improvise on my Flute to "No Quarter"... I can only say - MAGIC... ;)

"Won't Get Fooled Again" on keyboards.

It's very fun to play solo, but even better with a drummer.