Most Under-rated Zep Track

Nobody`s Fault But Hers

I see that most of my opinions has been said already.. :P

Anyway, I think Hey Hey What Can I Do would be one of their least known songs, probably partly because it wasn't released on an whole album until Coda on CD. In fact, I think that if it hypothetically had been released on the second album it would have become a hit. However, I don't think the third album would have made it a hit, since the third album is, in my opinion, the most underrated album in music history :( It's full of beauty but still its reception was far from what the album deserved.

The Rover is their most underrated song ever IMO. One of their best and heaviest songs ever. Never played in concert, never present on a "Best of" compilation. Never mentioned in interviews. Never released as a single. Never (well, almost) played on the radio. First written as an acoustic piece in 1970, but never released. Then recorded as an electric track in 1972 but not included in the studio album for which it had been recorded (Houses of the Holy). Only released in 1975 on PG.

No idea why they never performed it live (apart from the one famous soundcheck).

QIA, the closest we got was the intro in '77

Also agree with The Battle Of Evermore, two Zep classics..

Maybe The Wanton Song too, despite Plant's raspy vocals, i still like the song...

Candy Store Rock is absolutely great, I like that more and more with every passing year.

Battle of Evermore would be in my top ten Zep tracks ever, as would their version of Robert Johnson's Travelling Riverside Blues.

• 7 months later...

Hard to say what's an underrated Zeppelin song as most Zep heads love all their songs. However, for me, I really think Houses of the Holy, Bring It On Home, Night Flight, Custard Pie, Boogie with Stu, Friends, Out On The Tiles, The Wanton Song, The Crunge, and Four Sticks are all underrated. I know that's a lot, but I don't often see many of these songs mentioned on top five or top ten lists

Hi Kiwi

I would agree with that, and I think even Zepp under-rated these songs and lots of other things on Graffiti. From the boot-legs I heard , they never played much from the album. In My Time, Trampled, Kashmir, Ten Years (but not until 1977 :slapface: ) , Wanton (only a few times, why?), Black Country Woman (again not until 77), and Sick Again. Oh and they played Bron y Aur too back in 1970.

But why not The Rover, In the Light, Houses of the Holy, Custard Pie, Boogie With Stu, Night Flight? These are all great songs. You would think, with a double album to tour in 1975, they would maybe play some new songs each night and rotate them. Why did they have to make three songs last about 2 hours? I'm talking about Dazed and Confused, No Quarter and Moby Dick here. If they didn't do that, made them shorter maybe, they would had time to play 4 or 5 other songs. Maybe even 6.

Toni

You would think, with a double album to tour in 1975, they would maybe play some new songs each night and rotate them. Why did they have to make three songs last about 2 hours? I'm talking about Dazed and Confused, No Quarter and Moby Dick here. If they didn't do that, made them shorter maybe, they would had time to play 4 or 5 other songs. Maybe even 6.

Toni

Let's see, D&C allowed all but Jimmy to have a long break backstage, NQ all but JPJ, and MD all but Bonham. ROBERT got to take a break through ALL the extended solo's !! Why'd his voice sputter ? Doesn't make sense to me. :huh:

More time to pick up the flu mingling with backstage guests ?

Hats Off to (Roy) Harper

I have to admit, at first, I really didn't like this song much, but it grew on me so much! I think it could be easily one of my many favorites :).

+1

It's the most underrated for me because it's hated by most people, so there is the biggest gap between the general opinion and my opinion.

The Crunge would be the second.

Down By The Seaside would be the third.

Hi Kiwi

I would agree with that, and I think even Zepp under-rated these songs and lots of other things on Graffiti. From the boot-legs I heard , they never played much from the album. In My Time, Trampled, Kashmir, Ten Years (but not until 1977 :slapface: ) , Wanton (only a few times, why?), Black Country Woman (again not until 77), and Sick Again. Oh and they played Bron y Aur too back in 1970.

But why not The Rover, In the Light, Houses of the Holy, Custard Pie, Boogie With Stu, Night Flight? These are all great songs. You would think, with a double album to tour in 1975, they would maybe play some new songs each night and rotate them. Why did they have to make three songs last about 2 hours? I'm talking about Dazed and Confused, No Quarter and Moby Dick here. If they didn't do that, made them shorter maybe, they would had time to play 4 or 5 other songs. Maybe even 6.

Toni

Wow Toni! I'm really shocked that Led Zep didn't perform "In The Light", "The Rover", "Houses of The Holy", "Custard Pie", "Night Flight" and "Boogie With Stu" during their shows! Such amazing songs! Gosh! Such a shame! They could have made their set list brilliant with a capital B with all these wonderful songs! Anyway, that was just a thought! Gosh! But I'm still just stunned! :blink: :blink: :blink:

It's not really that shocking when you consider the fact that by the time PG came out, Zep already had a very long list of songs to include in their live set lists. Their first album came out in what, 1968? So that's 7 years of albums to cull from even before looking at the current release. Including nearly half of Zep IV. They couldn't do everything. I think the fact a lot of those songs weren't done live is what makes them so underrated and special to fans.

It's not really that shocking when you consider the fact that by the time PG came out, Zep already had a very long list of songs to include in their live set lists. Their first album came out in what, 1968? So that's 7 years of albums to cull from even before looking at the current release. Including nearly half of Zep IV. They couldn't do everything. I think the fact a lot of those songs weren't done live is what makes them so underrated and special to fans.

Yeah! I guess they had so many great songs to chose from! Its impossible to cover each of them...And I guess these songs are extra special just because they weren't played live....I guess that's one way of looking at it....but I still can't get over it though! :blink:

It's not really that shocking when you consider the fact that by the time PG came out, Zep already had a very long list of songs to include in their live set lists.  Their first album came out in what, 1968?  So that's 7 years of albums to cull from even before looking at the current release.  Including nearly half of Zep IV.  They couldn't do everything.  I think the fact a lot of those songs weren't done live is what makes them so underrated and special to fans.

January 18th 1969 to be precise good sir

Archived