"How The West Was Won" or "BBC Sessions" ?

Elliott Douglas

Hi all. My son is turning 16 next week, and he's a huge Led Zeppelin fan. So I'm trying to decide what CD I should buy him for his birthday. He already owns all their albums, but does not have any of the official Live releases. I've narrowed it down to either "How The West Was Won" or "BBC Sessions." Can anybody tell me if one of these is better than the other (even if only slightly)?

They seem relatively similar in terms of sound quality and song selection, so maybe it's really just a question of preference and subjectivity. At any rate, if anyone could offer their thoughts and opinions on this matter, it would be a great help to me. The more detail the better, as I currently do not have much info to go on. I'd like to base my decision on sound quality and most importantly, the quality of performance. Thanks.

-Elliott

Hmm, tough question. How The West Was Won (or HTWWW as I will call it) was culled from 2 performances, on June 25 and June 27 1972. The best bits from those 2 nights are turned into one cohesive concert. Being from '72, you get songs from Houses Of The Holy, while the BBC Sessions include stuff up through Led Zeppelin IV. The BBC Sessions are a compilation of several sessions...disc 1 is made up of various 1969 BBC sessions, while disc 2 is a 1971 concert. You get several versions of songs like You Shook Me and Communication Breakdown, and you can see the evolution of those songs just over a few months in 1969.

Both albums have great sound, and show great performances by the band. If you're looking for one album that really reflects a live Zep show, with them at the top of their game, I'd go with HTWWW.

Don't get me wrong ... I truly appreciate you taking the time to submit the same response, again. But do you think there's anyway you can give me a little bit more information? You're obviously very knowledgeable about Zep and their discography. It would be extremely awesome if you could take a look at which songs are duplicated on both "How The West Was Won" and "BBC Sessions," and then tell me which performance offers the superior version to it's counterpart on the other disc/album. I hope this isn't asking to much, but this is really what I'm trying to figure out here. Thank you very much for your help and expertise.

-Elliott

Hmm, tough question. How The West Was Won (or HTWWW as I will call it) was culled from 2 performances, on June 25 and June 27 1972. The best bits from those 2 nights are turned into one cohesive concert. Being from '72, you get songs from Houses Of The Holy, while the BBC Sessions include stuff up through Led Zeppelin IV. The BBC Sessions are a compilation of several sessions...disc 1 is made up of various 1969 BBC sessions, while disc 2 is a 1971 concert. You get several versions of songs like You Shook Me and Communication Breakdown, and you can see the evolution of those songs just over a few months in 1969.

Both albums have great sound, and show great performances by the band. If you're looking for one album that really reflects a live Zep show, with them at the top of their game, I'd go with HTWWW.

Don't get me wrong ... I truly appreciate you taking the time to submit the same response, again. But do you think there's anyway you can give me a little bit more information? You're obviously very knowledgeable about Zep and their discography. It would be extremely awesome if you could take a look at which songs are duplicated on both "How The West Was Won" and "BBC Sessions," and then tell me which performance offers the superior version to it's counterpart on the other disc/album. I hope this isn't asking to much, but this is really what I'm trying to figure out here. Thank you very much for your help and expertise.

-Elliott

Just get him both....seriously.

The BBC sessions is absolutely fantastic, cd 1 containing a variety of sessions from their early career ZepI to ZepII then CD 2 - WOW! - you get to experience Led Zeppelin at thier tightest during the ZepIV stage of their career. BUT, what makes this so special is the intimate environment they are playing it, you can hear everything - all the subtleties that you miss in a big stadium gig you gain here - very reccomended

HTWWW - is just pure 72 zep on the way to world domination, playing their hearts out in an amalgamation of two great concerts. The Kevin Shirley mix down is a powerhouse and you get a real sense of what it must have been like to hear the mighty zep rocking in a stadium.

Once you have both, then you need to start getting him some good boots!! - No better place than to ask here, or just check the various topics which frequently get discussed.

The first disk of the BBC sessions has alot of interesting material(Travelling Riverside Blues, Early WLL with longer solo etc) but HTWWW definately beats the 71 BBC recording which sounds very weak and isnt anywhere near the standard of the bands typical shows that year(I don't think Page would ever have released it if it had been up to him).

The first disk of the BBC sessions has alot of interesting material(Travelling Riverside Blues, Early WLL with longer solo etc) but HTWWW definately beats the 71 BBC recording which sounds very weak and isnt anywhere near the standard of the bands typical shows that year(I don't think Page would ever have released it if it had been up to him).

Really? - I have always loved this show. But I will absolutely give it another listen under scrutiny. - I think its the intimate atmosphear that I like.

Really? - I have always loved this show. But I will absolutely give it another listen under scrutiny. - I think its the intimate atmosphear that I like.

Performance wise those comments are relative, its still a good show just not IMHO as good as pretty much ever other one from 71 or HTWWW. Its certainly interesting to hear Zep play in a relaxed intimate setting but I don't think it comes close to capturing what they were capible of in 71.

Get HTWWW first. Both are great, but HTWWW is the best live album of all time IMO. It's my favorite official LZ album of them all (studio and live).

Brief comparison off the top of my head:

Immigrant Song, Black Dog and Heartbreaker are very good on both albums, but I prefer the HTWWW versions of all three of them.

Over The Hills And Far Away is a killer version on HTWWW. Of course, it's not on BBC Sessions (song didn't exist yet in 71). Further great previews of the Houses of the Holy album like The Ocean and Dancing Days are available on HTWWW, but not on BBC Sessions.

Stairway to Heaven is better on BBC Sessions IMO. And Thank You on BBC Sessions is simply amazing (the drumming is unbelievable). On BBC Sessions you also get some rare covers (like Something Else or The Girl I Love), raw early versions of Whole Lotta Love, Communication Breakdown (3 different versions!) and a few other songs which all sound great.

Whole Lotta Love (medley) and Dazed and Confused are on both albums, but they are better (and much longer) on HTWWW IMO.

Great versions of Rock and Roll and Bring it on Home are only offered on HTWWW.

Plus, HTWWW is overall much better sounding than BBC Sessions.

So, all in all, I think HTWWW is no. 1.

HTWWW is best,you get a better rendition of Stairway,3 discs,a 25 minute take on D & C with great call and response technique and a cool bow solo,a 23 minute version of WLL with an amazing medley (Better than the BBC medley,Boogie Chillen to Let's Have A Party to Hello Marylou to Going Down Slow) a solo that wasn't in the Immigrant song,a 20 minute drum solo in Moby Dick (If your into that sort of thing,i am,but only if Bonzo or Jason does it) The Stuff on BBC is rarer,"The Girl I Love She Got Long Brown Wavy Hair" which is the songs only performance ever,and a few songs they didn't release on their albums,and the greatest solo of all time in "Thank You"

HTWWW,the band is at their best,they Jam Hard and give 2 of the best concerts ever done on 3 discs,the Jamming is amazing,for improv and heaviness fans

BBC,The band is on the rise,getting their identity,trying stuff that is now very rare,they stay more faithful to the originals but this is the only place you'll ever find most of them

BUT,Don't get him either of them,get him the Led Zeppelin DVD,2 discs,5 hours 14 mins,4 shows (1970 Albert Hall,1973 Madison Square Garden,1975 Earls Court,1979 Knebworth) many extended Jams that you find in HTWWW,and also extremely rare footage,interviews,TV shows and more,it's the Holy Grail of Zeppelin.

Does he have TSRTS?

I personally prefer HTWWW 1000000000000000000000000 x more (ok maybe not quite that much) than BBC Sessions, though I do like BBC Sessions. BBC Sessions to me is more of an interesting archival thing for the hardcore fan, but HTWWW is just in your face Led Zeppelin on top of the world mind numbing awesomeness. Course I haven't listened to HTWWW in a loong time since I completely lost the first disc a few years ago and the other 2 are scratched and skip!! :'( But anyways, IMO, HTWWW is better sound quality and a generally more powerful release. B) Though BBC Sessions has stuff like The Girl I Love and Travelling Riverside Blues etc... and it is neat to hear multiple versions of songs like Communication Breakdown and how they evolve and blahblah... so I dunno, get him both! Both are essential for the hardcore fan. B) Make sure he has Led Zeppelin DVD as well. :D

Okay, you're all gonna kill me. Yesterday I was trying to decide between "How The West Was Won" or "BBC Sessions" ... But after reading all your responses, and upod further investigation, I'd have to say that I'm now actually leaning towards "The Song Remains The Same." You see, I just found out that it finally got remastered, and in my opinion the sound quality may even sound better than "How The West Was Won." Please share your thoughts on this sound issue. To me, the guitar chords sound charper and Plant's vocals more spotlighted than on the new "TSRTS" than on "How The West Was One." The setlists are pretty dissimilar between these two releases, so it's hard to decide. Who can refuse rare perfomances of "No Quarter," "Misty Mountain Hop," and "Rain Song???" Of course, then I'd be missing out on that amazing version of "Over the Hills and Far Away."

I know what you're all thinkin ... "this guy's a total crackpot!" or "just buy them both, damn it!" But please, I'm trying to make an informed decision here. Hey, you know what'd be a real help ... is there anyway somebody could hook me up with a compressed copy of the remastered "The Song Remains The Same," so that I can listen to all the songs before I buy? Then I'd really be able to make an informed decision. I know it's askin a lot, but I'll just pray you're feeling extremely generous. My e-mail's Edouglas23@aol.com if you wanna respond. Then again, maybe I ought to just quit while I'm ahead. Oh, and I use 128kbps ... all I'm sayin.

-Elliott

Honestly you need them all, because they all represent different things:

BBC disc one gives a representation of Zep in 1969 - not a huge repertoire yet, but full of youthful fire & energy.

BBC disc two captures them as they were in 1971 - four albums worth of material, more mature but still early days.

As the BBC recording were realtively small & intimate affairs, there's a "closeness" in these recordings.

HTWWW is another matter - this is them in 1972 in front of a huge crowd, the biggest band in the world. The size of the tour is refected in the performance - they're showing off & getting away with it, and still trying to hit that level of energy from the early days.

TSRTS is only a year later, but 1973 is a different Zep. They're into their "mid-period" now, lots of songs from HOTH, and while they're still exciting, the performances are more measured, more controled. This is a different band from 1969 - older, more mature, trying to project a range of different musics.

So you pay your money & you take your choice... but really you need them all... then get started into the bootlegs... B)

HTWWW has a better sound. Not just the Disks itselfs, also the band-members. I don't like the bass sound on BBC- Sessions Disc 2. But the performances on both (BBC + HTWWW) are incredible good. I especially like the blues- songs on BBC Sessions. But i don't think that one release is better than the other. Perhaps in 1972 Zep played the best. But 1971 all the IV pieces are so new and i like that feeling. Listen to the BBC Stairway version. And then listen to the HTWWW Version. It changed a lot, especially the solo part is much longer.

I like them both ;-)

I think this has probably been said before but I just skimmed;

HTWWW is, in my opinion, a broader representation of the band's music. It is, however, nothing more than a statement of where the band were at in 1972.

BBC Sessions is from sessions earlier than HTWWW, and therefore doesn't include many of their newer songs. This is not necessarily a bad thing, as their early stuff is great, but many of the songs on HTWWW are more original, more Zeppelin if you will.

If you want to give a broader sample of their live music - go for HTWWW. I would recommend TSRTS next and BBC Sessions 3rd, but they are all very worthwhile and special.

I am not going to get technical on you heres my opion buy them both the kid is worth it and zep is awesome.If i had to choose i would pick how the west was won but they are both great collections.the how the west was one set has familar songs but it just rocks. bbc sessions has 1.) the girl i love she got long black wavy hair 2.) travelling riverside blues 3.) something else

these songs live are hard to find unless you go bootleg but then in most cases you loose some quality.

i repeat buy them both sorry if that was not what you were looking for

Have you got him anything yet?The STH on TSRTS is legendary,but i reeat HTWWW!It rocks!!!It's got the medleys,the classic rock songs,the solo's and really it's just spectacular,TSRTS isn't shabby but HTWWW is best,more songs on it if that helps,most are longer too,look at the track-listings and see which is best suited to his tastes.

1 - DVD

2 - HTWWW

3 - Sessions

As for asking on here about boots, dont even try - your post gets deleted and noone wants to even remotely help you. Its like "HI EVERYONE I HAVE MILLIONS OF BOOTLEGS BUT IM NOT HELPING YOU GET ANY OR TELLING YOU WHERE TO GET THEM EITHER"

1 - DVD

2 - HTWWW

3 - Sessions

As for asking on here about boots, dont even try - your post gets deleted and noone wants to even remotely help you. Its like "HI EVERYONE I HAVE MILLIONS OF BOOTLEGS BUT IM NOT HELPING YOU GET ANY OR TELLING YOU WHERE TO GET THEM EITHER"

The secret revealed!

Abracadabara!

Archived