Q+A Robert Plant

Cat

Q+A Robert Plant

Sports Illustrated - January 12, 2004

Author: John Clarke Jr.; Robert Plant ; Edited by Kostya Kennedy and Mark Bechtel

Robert Plant, 55, the Led Zeppelin frontman and avid tennis player, recently released a compilation of his solo work, From Sixty Six to Timbuktu.

SI: You've said that Jimmy Connors--who's about your age--inspired you to pick up a tennis racket? When was that?

Plant: About 15 years ago I just started knocking the ball about and realized what a beautiful game it is.

SI: It's been reported that you're an "advanced-intermediate" player at your club in Worcestershire, England. What's your game like?

Plant: I'm a baseliner. I can't move that fast. I play a lot of league matches, but I must tell you that I'm awful. My tennis kills me. Sometimes I see God, and sometimes I'm in a huge abyss.

SI: But don't you get to mix it up with some of the world's best players?

Plant: Once I was doing a gig in Sydney, and a kid came up and asked me to play. I met the guy the next morning, and we had a knock. I said, 'Wow, he's pretty good.' Someone told me he ought to be, he won Wimbledon. It was Pat Cash. But I didn't know him from a hole in the ground. When I was on tour, I would hook up with the best facilities and players. But in truth, it's a lot like letting some tennis star up on the stage to play in the band.

SI: Who is your favorite player?

Plant: I am always pleased to see Andy Roddick do well. I like watching Federer. A lot of the Spaniards are starting to look great. But the serenity of Andre Agassi's game and the way he seems to approach things is something I really admire. He has it down so good. It's superb.

SI: How's Jimmy Page 's tennis?

Plant: [Laughs.] Who? No, no, no. Jimmy's not a tennis player. I love the thought of that. We could play against that Guns N' Roses singer, Axl Rose. He looks like he'd be a good player. I can hold my own against other musicians. I played the guitarist from Judas Priest once. It was fun. But I had to beat him.

SI: When you play, do you wear the famous golden locks in a ponytail or let them fly?

Plant: Not only in a ponytail but clipped and buttoned right back up so nobody would know me. I'm just a guy there with a pair of aviator Ray Bans staring into the faraway sun. --John Clarke Jr.

SI: Who is your favorite player?

Plant: I am always pleased to see Andy Roddick do well. I like watching Federer. A lot of the Spaniards are starting to look great. But the serenity of Andre Agassi's game and the way he seems to approach things is something I really admire. He has it down so good. It's superb.

Boo! Vamos Rafa! Sorry, had to put that in! Thanks for the interview tho. And brspled, the more places that picture is posted, the better!

Archived