Over The Hills And Far Away on TSRTS DVD extras ROCKS!

Tunderfoot77

I always liked OTHAFA but the version that's on The Song Remains The Same Disc two kicks ass! The performance of it from NYC '73 is amazing and I can't believe it was cut from both the movie and the original soundtrack! It just sounds better IMO than the record and even the version on the "How the West Was Won" live album. The jam at the middle with Jimmy's guitar solo seems more in sync with John Paul Jones' killer bass line. The best part of all is the drum roll bit that Bonham does around the three and a half minutes. I keep replaying it over and over when I watch the video! That creativity is one of the reasons he was one of the best drummers who walked the earth.

Over the Hills and Far Away did sound better on HTWWW but I still like the TSRTS better because of the way it was filmed. Its my preference, when watching live performances, to not have special effects. I want something that looks like it would if I was actually there.

I don't think Plant's vocals are thatt strained on the TSRTS version. The main difference I hear when I compare it to other versions of OTHAFA is that this one is slower than usual. The record and the "How The West Was Won" performance is at a faster speed. On the TSRTS one, Plant takes his time singing the verses, which I actually prefer. I like that he and the band aren't barreling through the song.

Funny that they would ahve gone to the bother to do this just to wind up cutting the song out in the end.

The additional filming was done because the intention was to put the film out in 1974. However when the band viewed the footage they felt that as a whole it was substandard. It was only after Plant had his car accident that left him badly injured that the film was ressurected and released as a stop gap measure due to the bands inactivity at this time.

• 4 weeks later...
Wait, so some of the footage isn't even live??? :o:o:o Wow, you learn something new everyday. What parts of the MSG stuff is actually from a studio. And how can you tell??

It's hard to tell, but you can see that a lot of the footage is out of sync with the audio, even on the new release. Whether that was because the footage they used was from different nights than the audio used, those particular bits were from Shepperton, or they just didn't edit the film very well, I don't know.

Jimmy, Bonzo, and Jonesy were trying to mine their improvisations, which was probably damn near impossible to nail completely. Also, Robert had his teeth fixed and Jonesy was wearing a wig to cover his haircut.

I always liked OTHAFA but the version that's on The Song Remains The Same Disc two kicks ass! The performance of it from NYC '73 is amazing and I can't believe it was cut from both the movie and the original soundtrack! It just sounds better IMO than the record and even the version on the "How the West Was Won" live album. The jam at the middle with Jimmy's guitar solo seems more in sync with John Paul Jones' killer bass line. The best part of all is the drum roll bit that Bonham does around the three and a half minutes. I keep replaying it over and over when I watch the video! That creativity is one of the reasons he was one of the best drummers who walked the earth.

Yeah, it's too bad though that both versions were probably cobbled together from 3 or 4 different performances...search out "the garden tapes" on this very forum and learn the sad truth about Jimmy's musical dishonesty...

Wait, so some of the footage isn't even live??? :o:o:o Wow, you learn something new everyday. What parts of the MSG stuff is actually from a studio. And how can you tell??

You can tell if it's studio footage if :

John Paul Jones has a wig on.

No flashes, if the footage is live you will see frequent flashes from cameras.

Unlogical camera work for a live setting, such as when the camera is obviously on a rail and closing in on robert at the end of The Rain Song.

A bit hard to spot, but when they were shooting the studio footage, Robert and Bonzo had both gained a few pounds.

Also, if the footage is live, you will see a lot of hanger-ons and stage hands standing on the sides of the stage.

Hope that helps! :)

Honestly, I think the HTWWW beats the TSRTS version, I like the video though, but I find its too edited, so many random clips put together it seems, many of them not even from OTHAFA probably.

That's true, I spotted that there are many shots of Robert singing that also appears in The Ocean. But they had to I guess, there were too many holes to make a true OTHAFA.

You can tell if it's studio footage if :

John Paul Jones has a wig on.

No flashes, if the footage is live you will see frequent flashes from cameras.

Unlogical camera work for a live setting, such as when the camera is obviously on a rail and closing in on robert at the end of The Rain Song.

A bit hard to spot, but when they were shooting the studio footage, Robert and Bonzo had both gained a few pounds.

Also, if the footage is live, you will see a lot of hanger-ons and stage hands standing on the sides of the stage.

Hope that helps! :)

Thanks for the info. I will keep an eye for those things next time i watch.

Yeah, it's too bad though that both versions were probably cobbled together from 3 or 4 different performances...search out "the garden tapes" on this very forum and learn the sad truth about Jimmy's musical dishonesty...

What's sad about it? Even the Garden Tapes guy doesn't care about all of the editing Jimmy has done (with the exception of The Song Remains the Same remaster) and tells everybody to forget all of the edits he pointed out and just enjoy the music. Jimmy's just trying to make all of the live releases sound great, so he edits the shit out of them to get the best parts of each performance.

What's sad about it? Even the Garden Tapes guy doesn't care about all of the editing Jimmy has done (with the exception of The Song Remains the Same remaster) and tells everybody to forget all of the edits he pointed out and just enjoy the music. Jimmy's just trying to make all of the live releases sound great, so he edits the shit out of them to get the best parts of each performance.

Point taken. I have no ill will towards him for wanting to put his best foot forward, so to speak. I never used to know about the "original" soundtrack, the one I used to listen to constantly when I was an idealistic teen...the one that, in retrospect, had quite a chop job itself!

I do think it should be termed musically dishonest, though. I was embarrassed to find out, after all these years, about the "slight of hand" Jimmy had a part in regarding the "soundcheck" from the Royal Albert Hall (I Cant Quit You Babe) and the "studio version" of "We're Gonna Groove"...As a Zeppelin Fanatic in the late seventies, who just missed them in '77, I was in the service for about 6, 7 months when "Coda" came out. I believed everything that was written in the liner notes. These were my heroes, they wouldn't, well, lie...in fact, the thought never even crossed my mind. It wasnt until the nineties that the truth came out. While the cleaned up "versions" on Coda sound exellent, I couldn't believe that Jimmy would involve himself in such chicanery...

Archived