Music You Love No Longer

kidmoon

I'm sure everyone has a band they really enjoyed when they were younger, but, for some reason or another, that band has lost its appeal...What bands/songwriters did you used to love? And why do you think they've lost your interest?

For my part, I used to love Lynyrd Skynyrd and Jethro Tull. When I was a teenager, their music couldn't be topped (excepting Zeppelin, of course). Perhaps it was the accessibility of it? I remember playing Skynyrd before every baseball game to liven me up a bit (I guess it worked -- I hit .387 that season!)... There are still some songs I very much like, e.g., "Mr. Banker" and "Thick As A Brick", but, largely, I don't listen to either of the bands remotely near the amount I once did.

What I think is mostly responsible for the decline in appeal is my discovery of better bands. I do think it's that simple of an explanation. Why listen to Skynyrd when I can listen to the Allman Brothers and the Black Crowes? Why listen to Jethro Tull when I've got Bob Dylan and Radiohead?

Yes, Black Sabbath, ELP.

I never owned a lot of Yes. Around 1977 I purged about 20 LP's from my collection. Mostly Yes, Black Sabbath and ELP. I kept Paranoid and Close to the Edge. I wish I kept those 20 LP just for a listen once in a while because I have no interest in buying any of those on CD. Correction, about 2 years ago I bought ELP's Tarkus. It's a fun listen, but musically it seems bland. I've been tempted to buy Sabbath's first LP, but I would rather it be remastered with some bonus tracks(doubt that will happen).

For some reason when I was 12 I could not get enough of the Doors. Now I cringe when I hear anything by them. Maybe it is because at that time I knew the words to the songs better then old Jim did that I cannot bare to hear them anymore.

I've been tempted to buy Sabbath's first LP, but I would rather it be remastered with some bonus tracks(doubt that will happen).

This AllMusic writeup on the Black Box says that not only have all the discs in the collection been remastered but that all of Sabbath's albums have been remastered at one point. Not sure about the bonus tracks though.

http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&s...jvfyxqwaldhe~T1

I wouldn't say I didn't like the bands anymore but there are a TON of classic rock songs I can't stand anymore because most of the classic rock stations play the the same hits over and over (when there is so much more out there by these great bands)....the ironic part is that they rag on the pop stations but they are no better!!

I wouldn't say I didn't like the bands anymore but there are a TON of classic rock songs I can't stand anymore because most of the classic rock stations play the the same hits over and over (when there is so much more out there by these great bands)....the ironic part is that they rag on the pop stations but they are no better!!

Oh wait, that made me think of an omission: GUNS N ROSES.

I LOVED em when Appetite For Destruction appeared, but afterwards it became apparent that it was the name of an army of musicians led by an egomaniacal clown.

Wow, finally a thread where i can come clean and expose all my warts...

I started buying records in early '78...this was the beginning of my discovery...of real music. Of course, you have to remember it was the late seventies and i was 14...

For some reason, I ended up having ELP-brain salad surgery, just for "Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends..." and yeah, I know that's not the actual title. I cringe when I hear it now. Also, Billy Thorpe "Children of the Sun" (which was great to me then) but now hear it at least twice a day on 'classic rock' radio...and i change it every time...

Ted Nugent "Double Live Gonzo", Black Sabbath "We sold our souls for R n R", Lynyrd Skynrd -that live one...forgot title. I guess sabbath and Lskynrd still hold up...but I've never re-purchased any of these on disc ('cept a used cd of we sold our souls)

oh yeah, i owned a bunch of yes albums...i really appreciated Steve Howe's skill in those days...but after seeing them Sept. 25th, 1980 at the St.Louis Arena...none of them had the COMMON DECENCY to even mention Bonzo's passing...they lost me as a fan forever.

I still pretty much love all the artists I grew up listening to but there may be some I love a little less. I was a huge Kiss fan up to the solo albums but they completely lost me with Dynasty. They are also one of the few artists I have records by on vinyl but have never purchased a CD by. That may change someday with Alive! but that most likely will be it. As for the rest such as Aerosmith, Skynyrd, Foghat, Grateful Dead, Alice Cooper, Cheap Trick, Sabbath, ZZ Top, Zep, Rush, etc. I still revisit those artists fairly often as well as the other music I grew up listening to back then: John Prine, Jimmy Buffett, Commander Cody, Pure Prairie League, Goose Creek Symphony, Steve Goodman, Waylon, Willie, David Allan Coe, etc.

^You don't want to know who he is. He says that Jimmy Page is a drugged out no good guitar player.

I listen to the same music now I as I did when I was a little kid. (Or younger, some here might still consider me a little kid.)

While I'm not fond at all of Ted's comments he wasn't nearly as outspoken politically back in the 70s, at least that I remember. He has always been the Motor City Motor Mouth though. I still like some of his old solo records but having seen him in concert a few years ago (with Kenny Wayne Shepherd and ZZ Top) I can his show was closer to a pro George Bush, Jr. rally. He even took to the stage wrapped in the U.S. flag so you wouldn't mistake where he was coming from. Requests hollered out for Dixie Chicks tunes fell on deaf ears.

I must confess I don't know a single Nugent tune, but, having read some stuff about his personality, I don't think I want to either.

You should at least listen to 'Stranglehold'. It's the only one I've heard so far of his that I like and it's great. I actually think you'd like it.

Anyway, I'm like Jahfin in the sense that I still love these bands, I just don't listen to them a whole lot anymore. The only bands that really applies to for me are Led Zeppelin and Nirvana.

I've been tempted to buy Sabbath's first LP, but I would rather it be remastered with some bonus tracks(doubt that will happen).

Actually it has been remastered as an album release on the Castle Communication ? label in the UK. I have that copy and it was released sometime late 90s....It has ONE bonus track "Evil Woman".

This is the one I have....notice the different back cover...

blacksab-blacksab.jpg

Not positive but I think Black Box doesn't have the entire first album...but I'm not sure...

Why do you need bonus tracks? :huh:

Probably because I am not too motivated to buy it. Although I see below there is a foreign remastered version floating around. I know a lot of purists don't like the original released changed. If I am going to buy an old classic, I prefer some bonus tracks with maybe a booklet of sorts talking about the original release etc, etc.

I decided not long ago to put classic rock behind me. I've heard all those songs hundreds of times and love them all, and they all have a special place in my heart, but its time to move on.

That does't mean I don't like it anymore, or that I'm selling all my old cds, or that I won't crank up an occsional old tune. It just means that i'm going to be thinking more outside of my comfort zone when it come to finding new music.

Like a lot of you I'm old enough to remember when what we now call "classic rock" was new rock.

Anything I really liked years ago I still lke today>I might not play them as often,but when I pull them out and play them I still like them.Cant say there was something I really liked that I cant stand today.

Even some old disco songs I would still be all right with ,probably because they have memories attached to them.

I don't even want to get started on what I used to listen to. It's too embarrassing. Let's just suffice it to say that at one point, I had enough Enrique Iglesias Spanish CD's to fill my CD player...

If it's any consolation, I do speak Spanish relatively well, so at least I understood the lyrics featured in the bad music?

I don't even want to get started on what I used to listen to. It's too embarrassing. Let's just suffice it to say that at one point, I had enough Enrique Iglesias Spanish CD's to fill my CD player...

If it's any consolation, I do speak Spanish relatively well, so at least I understood the lyrics featured in the bad music?

So did I! Still have them, just haven't heard them in years. I actually learned Spanish from listening to him sing. Oh, and the Backstreet Boys :ph34r: ! I really should have a yard sale and get rid of all the guys I thought were so hot and could sing so incredibly well when I was 15!

Archived