Music You Love No Longer

kidmoon

This is weird: I used to like a band called The Silencers (80s pop rock) esp a song called "Illegal", but all of a sudden they disappeared from the scene only to come back later with the same name but WIMPY music.....I found so little info on the new band and their music that I'm thinking its another band all together. Any help appreciated.

Rob

Are you sure you really liked them?!

yes i did,at one time, i have the 1st album" pronounced lenard skinard",and one more for the road, and street survivers,( yes, the collectable original cover). i guess the line in "sweet home albama" "neil young should remember, a southern man don't need him around any how." pissed me off. i guess the more i heard it, the more i didn't like it. it was two fold. one, it was a responce to neil's "southern man", and two, i thought that it was racest, and i have black friends. it took a few years, but it just started to make my blood boil. this doesn't mean i don't see the talent. but i really don't like the Sound, any more. i do not like other bands like them. like molly hatchet. ond others

neil young is waaaay more talented then ls ever was or could be.

yes i did,at one time, i have the 1st album" pronounced lenard skinard",and one more for the road, and street survivers,( yes, the collectable original cover). i guess the line in "sweet home albama" "neil young should remember, a southern man don't need him around any how." pissed me off. i guess the more i heard it, the more i didn't like it. it was two fold. one, it was a responce to neil's "southern man", and two, i thought that it was racest, and i have black friends. it took a few years, but it just started to make my blood boil. this doesn't mean i don't see the talent. but i really don't like the Sound, any more. i do not like other bands like them. like molly hatchet. ond others

If you think Sweet Home Alabama was "racist" or that there was actual feud between Skynyrd and Neil, well, you may have a little reading up to do...

Ronnie%20Van%20Zant.jpg

Ronnie Van Zant sporting his Neil Young Tonight's the Night t-shirt

Neil vs. Lynyrd Skynyrd

"I wrote this song to tell of the misunderstood friendship between Ronnie VanZant and Neil Young, who were widely believed to be bitter adversaries, but were in truth very good friends and mutual admirers... I also used it as a personal way of writing for the first time about my hometown's musical and cultural legacy. (Muscle Shoals AL. was the town where many of the finest R&B and Soul records ever made were created, with whites and blacks working together during the height of the civil rights movement in the 60's)."

-Patterson Hood of the Drive-By Truckers on "Ronnie and Neil" from Southern Rock Opera.

Church blew up in Birmingham

Four little black girls killed for no Goddamn good reason

All this hate and violence can't come to no good end

A stain on the good name.

A whole lot of good people dragged threw the blood and glass

Blood stains on their good names and all of us take the blame

Meanwhile in North Alabama, Wilson Pickett comes to town

To record that sweet soul music, to get that Muscle Shoals sound

Meanwhile in North Alabama, Aretha Franklin comes to town

To record that sweet soul music, to get that Muscle Shoals sound

And out in California, a rock star from Canada writes a couple of great songs about the

Bad shit that went down

"Southern Man" and "Alabama" certainly told some truth

But there were a lot of good folks down here and Neil Young wasn't around

Meanwhile in North Alabama, Lynyrd Skynyrd came to town

To record with Jimmy Johnson at Muscle Shoals Sound

And they met some real good people, not racist pieces of shit

And they wrote a song about it and that song became a hit

Ronnie and Neil Ronnie and Neil

Rock stars today ain't half as real

Speaking their minds on how they feel

Let them guitars blast for Ronnie and Neil

Now Ronnie and Neil became good friends their feud was just in song

Skynyrd was a bunch of Neil Young fans and Neil he loved that song

So He wrote "Powderfinger" for Skynyrd to record

But Ronnie ended up singing "Sweet Home Alabama" to the lord

And Neil helped carry Ronnie in his casket to the ground

And to my way of thinking, us southern men need both of them around

Ronnie and Neil Ronnie and Neil

Rock stars today ain't half as real

Speaking their minds on how they feel

Let them guitars blast for Ronnie and Neil

Well, I see your valid social point, but strictly musically speaking, LS had talent to sell!! I share your same feelings about a band called Manowar (highyl racist and biased!!!)....but then again, I NEVER liked them from day 1!! :)

I decided not long ago to put classic rock behind me. I've heard all those songs hundreds of times and love them all, and they all have a special place in my heart, but its time to move on.

That does't mean I don't like it anymore, or that I'm selling all my old cds, or that I won't crank up an occsional old tune. It just means that i'm going to be thinking more outside of my comfort zone when it come to finding new music.

Like a lot of you I'm old enough to remember when what we now call "classic rock" was new rock.

Do you listen to new music? I've not found any bands that I really like. Don't get me wrong, there a alternative bands I like but most of the new stuff in my opion is pop, not rock.

Do you listen to new music? I've not found any bands that I really like. Don't get me wrong, there a alternative bands I like but most of the new stuff in my opion is pop, not rock.

Where are you going to seek out new music? If it's commercial radio there's your first problem right there.

In general, over the last 7 months, I have nearly stopped listening to music, and don't enjoy the music I used to. My current life situation may be responsible, or it could be something else.

I am a firm believer that great music can never be outgrown. You might get sick of it, but eventually you'll reintroduce it to yourself, and love it close to the way you loved it initially.

I always liked to see big bands mention other big bands in their music. Like Gator Country by Molly Hatchet.

That's cool but is there any need to quote the entire post just to let me know that?

As for the DBTs being "big", they're far from it but they are well on their way. The reason Ronnie and Neil are mentioned in that song is because it's part of a bigger whole called Southern Rock Opera which tells their tragic story against the backdrop of the 70s. If so inclined, you can read more about it at the links below:

disc_sro.jpg

http://drivebytruckers.com/writeup_sro.html

http://drivebytruckers.com/lyrics_sro.html

Metallica, Ozzy Osborne, Motley Crue, The OffSpring, Kiss- as I got older I realized they all really sucked and there were bands out there that were a lot better.

There will always be bands that are better than the ones before....the ones before....the ones before.....the ones before........... :) :)

Took THAT for granted, hehheheheh :)

My point isn't that "music will never be as good as it was in the 70s!!" bla bla etc.

My point is that there's been both fantastic and terrible popular music (and the whole spectrum in-between) ever since popular music began.

Oh wait, that made me think of an omission: GUNS N ROSES.

I LOVED em when Appetite For Destruction appeared, but afterwards it became apparent that it was the name of an army of musicians led by an egomaniacal clown.

If you have never gave the Use Your Illusion albums a real chance, I suggest you do. While what you say is true, it's Axl's ego that pushed them to new heights and made them play more progressive tunes. GnR is amazing, but you can't deny when Axl's big ideas would come to fruition, there were amazing results.

Band that I used to love? Hmm, I dunno if there is anybody that I used to love. I mean, true love lasts forever. I love several bands, but only after a few years of quite incessant listening does a band get my love. Otherwise, it aint love.

Thank goodness you finally gave that whiner up! I hope you DO still love The Cure. Their music has always been neglected by America, such a shame.

Which whiner, you :rolleyes: ? Never. As far as the Cure... kind of. I don't know, I listen to a lot of Ray Charles, 60's - 70's Motown, & for some reason 70's Disco. I don't know what happend to myself.

Wow, finally a thread where i can come clean and expose all my warts...

I started buying records in early '78...this was the beginning of my discovery...of real music. Of course, you have to remember it was the late seventies and i was 14...

For some reason, I ended up having ELP-brain salad surgery, just for "Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends..." and yeah, I know that's not the actual title. I cringe when I hear it now. Also, Billy Thorpe "Children of the Sun" (which was great to me then) but now hear it at least twice a day on 'classic rock' radio...and i change it every time...

Ted Nugent "Double Live Gonzo", Black Sabbath "We sold our souls for R n R", Lynyrd Skynrd -that live one...forgot title. I guess sabbath and Lskynrd still hold up...but I've never re-purchased any of these on disc ('cept a used cd of we sold our souls)

oh yeah, i owned a bunch of yes albums...i really appreciated Steve Howe's skill in those days...but after seeing them Sept. 25th, 1980 at the St.Louis Arena...none of them had the COMMON DECENCY to even mention Bonzo's passing...they lost me as a fan forever.

Karnevil # 9 i believe

i CAN NOT STAND lynyrd skynyrd!, used to like them alot. have a few albums. saw 'em live '77. good show. but my infatuation only went a couple years. and then, don't know why, actually started to hate the music. HATE IT... it actually gets on my nerves. if it comes on the radio, i change the station..... now i'm so annoyed, i have to go smoke a number, just to melow out for the super bowl.

Now look what you have done . You have annoyed me and thousands hell millons of Skynyrd fans everywhere.Skynyrd rocks :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

oh what the heck you cant help it if your taste buds are broke :D

Archived