Led Zeppelin - Straight from Hell!

It´s really obscure how much of evilness and satanism this people try to put into a song. They even don´t understand a iota of what the songs of Led Zeppelin are about; but one simple line of a song is enough to declare their whole music and the whole band as straight from hell. Where have those people left their brains??? I mean, you can´t be born that incredibly stupid!

Is there really someone believing that stuff? I know some americans are some kind of...er...strange with their religion (no offence meant) but THIS?!?!?

Shit, you have no idea. But you'll even see evidence of it in the posts in this forum somtimes :chickeddance:

First of all,I don't wish to offend anyone.I am only printing my experience.

Sorry for the lenght!

I come from a non religious family, but in 1981,my older brother,whom I love and look up to, became a "Born Again" Christian.

This is what he told me in 1983.when I was 15.Word for word.

I have a long memory,trust me!. :)

"Led Zeppelin play music very well!.Too well!. They play with a skill that obviously doesn't come fom the Lord, and have been very successful.Anybody who is popular and has followers that do not exhalt God are of Satan.they use backward masking on thier records to entice young people to Satan, and glorify sex as a thing of lust rather than for procreation.The guitarist is a follower of the Great Beast Crowley -a leader of Satanism!.Every time you hear him play a guitair solo, it is a siren calling the the souls of the damned to Hell!"

My brother was serious, and still is, but I think you have to put things in perspective.

His words were inflamatory and full of hate,something you would more expect these days from the mouth of a fanatical suicide bomber perhaps.I put that very thing to him recently and he denies it!.He's much more mellow these days, but I suspect him of endlessly pinching all of my Iron Maiden Records (to Protect me).

But that is the nature of HIS passion and world view, not mine!.

I have always loved music, although have never competently been able to play it myself.I take solace in my knowledge of who, what where and when and even why.My study of music has told me that what my brother said is nothing new.Even from the earliest times in the West, music has been acknowleged and damned for its power;feared,ignored, and even banned!.

This has gone on for centurys and it usually effects the best of music because of the very reason that it is so good!.

One well known example is the 19th century composer/violin virtuoso Paganini who was denied his own burial on holy ground because his playing was mesmirising, and he looked funny to boot! (It didn't stop many young woman swooning at his feet though!).Paginini was never a threat to God,just like Led Zep,but the church, for there own arcane reasons thought/thinks them a threat!.

Really, I would say to the starter of this thread, that to be a lover of great and important music,you have to trust your own judgment,your own ears,and most of all your own heart!.If you look to others to tell you what is great, poor or "safe" music,then you are truly lost to yourself!

Your brother needs a bong hit! :wacko:

Shit, you have no idea. But you'll even see evidence of it in the posts in this forum somtimes :chickeddance:

Where do you get the chickens and the hippies and all the little inserts? I wont even waste my time reading the main topic in this thread. If anyone was ever accused of this type of shit it was Ozzie or Alice Cooper, not Led Zeppelin.

if I were satan... and I contracted Led Zeppelin to spread my satanic message... I would have fired them after 1970 and moved on to some band like Black Sabbath or King Crimson (who did a better job at that, dispite NOT selling their souls) :whistling:

I saw this months ago and completely blanked it out of my mind until now.

I'm surprised these losers didn't mention the 666 burned onto the back of Jimmy's left earlobe, thus the reason for having kept his hair long all these years, along with the lock of Crowley's toe hair hidden in his favorite amulet, which obviously gave Jimmy the power to move like Elvis whilst on stage. Give them time...

<_<

Evening or the Fall of Day depicts the god Apollo rising from the earth at sunset — pretty much everyone who sees it seems to think it's Icarus, an angel or various christian devils.

—Steven William Rimmer

Why would the Sun god rise at sunset? Sun=day. Fall=set.

Furthermore, all depictions I've seen of Apollo have genitals. Angels, on the other hand, lack...definition. And show me a picture of Apollo in any classical setting having wings. A lyre yes, but wings??? Greek gods weren't winged.

Methinks great greaat great nephew is mistaken. Must be Arnold J. Rimmer. :beer:

Since the members here determined in the "Will I see the boys in Heaven" thread (or something similar to that) there was no Heaven and Hell (although we know there is because they will be here in SoCal at the end of August) this is kind of a mute point, isn't it? :D

After further review, I agree it's not Apollo, Greek god, or Icarus. I think it's Hawkman!

P.S. I love it when newbies get mad!

Why would the Sun god rise at sunset? Sun=day. Fall=set.

Furthermore, all depictions I've seen of Apollo have genitals. Angels, on the other hand, lack...definition. And show me a picture of Apollo in any classical setting having wings. A lyre yes, but wings??? Greek gods weren't winged.

Methinks great greaat great nephew is mistaken. Must be Arnold J. Rimmer. :beer:

evster-no one ever painted the christian Gods' buttocks-

until michelangelo painted the sistine ceiling.

and since we are not discussing a classical work of art (19th century american with a classical theme), it's hard for me to agree with that argument.

there are many pictures and sculptures that don't show apollo's genitals. this seems to be an important point for you but i don't put much stock in it. many greek items do-they were done in the classical era: almost 1500 years ago.

as for apollo with wings-yes, that's a good tough one. i can say that apollo has been pictured buttressed by wings or surrounded by wings or riding on wings since he flew across the horizon (according to some depictions)on a gryps (or a gryphon). so apollo airborn in a painting with wings is not an unknown image. here's one here: http://www.theoi.com/image/K5.7Apollon.jpg

and since rimmer is a 19th century american, and not exposed to all the images of apollo that the europeans take for granted, it is very possible this was his intent.

by the way, apollo wasn't just a greek god, remember-he was adopted (and adapted) by the romans. and what attributes did the romans endow apollo with? whatever sounded (or looked)good at the time.

greek gods weren't winged? without google, i can say hermes off the top of my head.

to me, linking the image to the sun lends itself to the apollo argument, or possibly even icarus. but, you and i both know that angels, or heavenly beings with wings are not just a christian or jewish image.

this all boils down to opinion, of course. since the artist made no designation in public, we only have his body of work and his relative-who at least is privy to unpublished works, notes, other family members, and blood relation that gave him that access. i wouldn't discount him out of hand, even if we don't agree with his grammer. were i researching a book about this subject, it would be very difficult to discount him, unless he exposed me to some unpublished material that differed from his statements.

you and i can post thousands of "opinions" that we both can google up right now, but we both know they don't mean much more than our own, especially since we all have access to the same sources.

so-whatever you say it is, that's fine with me.

although i don't know for sure myself, i'm not inclined to agree....

It`s kinda odd to assert that Rimmer would be devoid history of classical knowlegde or art Images since he lived in America in the 19th century( they had books back then ! ) . My question is What did the symbolism of that Image intend to represent at the time it was created for Led Zeppelin. It has wings apenged to itself, unlike the image of apollo clearly riding a winged creature in above image,it also appears to be falling downward thrust , I would say like Icarus ,as the Heavens, the Sun, The Sea , Boats , Mermaids ,Sirens etc. Have been very much present in both Led Zeppelin songs as well as Plants solo works .

not devoid (i don't believe i said that) because yes, you are right-they did have books. and some people owned art from europe (i would estimate that percentage small, wouldn't you?) do you own any books from the 1840's? the amount (number of pictures) and quality of the graphic printing is a little to be desired(images being mostly engraved). not to mention, had he lived in europe at the same time, he would have had museums in britian, france, spain, amsterdam, and many more within a managable travel scenario where he could have seen both ancient and contemporary masterpieces.

btw, rimmer was born in liverpool.

your opinion of icarus is valid-the only problem i have with that is Icarus moved downward due to the wax wings melting-which is not part of rimmers' visage. (that doesn't mean you're wrong, though)

apollo was said to ride the sun as a chariot across the sky. but we have an ancient image of apollo on the gryphon. that was my point, btw. one or two steps away from the original myth and apollo could wear a tuxedo if that was someone's artistic vision.

most paintings from the renaissance and before showed lucifers' fall with the him being driven by a spear from the archangel Michael. there are exceptions to everything that has gone before-that is what art is: a different perspective.

if it were lucifer, that would be a more romantic image as far as some of zeppelin's audience is concerned. and hey, if that's what you prefer, nobody really knows for sure, so knock yourself out.

the point you mention about what led zeppelin wanted the image to represent is definitely the more compelling question....

a good local resource may be steve jones. i'm sure he has some files in his archive that document the launch of swan song and possibly more clues to what zeppelin intended with the logo. too bad this question isn't in the "mysteries" thread.

that's funny, right there!

Now that I've been all edumacated on the artsy fartsy/historical stuff, I must throw another two cents in and say that I prefer the one WITH the pee pee.

Books Bookish Bookworm A Ship came a sailing across the sea from Europe and Landed upon I believe it was 1620 on the American soil. Yale Americas Oldest University was founded 1701, I am sure there were plenty of schools,churches & libraries as well as individual homes furnished with Books.

I don`t know I could be wrong .

oh, yeah-books! no problem! books with accurate art reproductions(i.e. photo's).

not so much....

maybe yale?

so, "books bookish bookworm"...that's a poem, right?

or, perhaps "books, bookish bookworm"...maybe you meant that?

dammitt!!!!@

did i post in a newbie thread again?

sonavabitch.....

i need to get edjumacated....

William Rimmer's painting (read the commentary below)

File0158.jpg

RimmerText.jpg

:

Sorry for the repost, but...

"Rather than being a pessimistic image, this work is an expression of spiritual life that endures and transcends the limitations of the physical".

not devoid (i don't believe i said that) because yes, you are right-they did have books. and some people owned art from europe (i would estimate that percentage small, wouldn't you?) do you own any books from the 1840's? the amount (number of pictures) and quality of the graphic printing is a little to be desired(images being mostly engraved). not to mention, had he lived in europe at the same time, he would have had museums in britian, france, spain, amsterdam, and many more within a managable travel scenario where he could have seen both ancient and contemporary masterpieces.

btw, rimmer was born in liverpool.

your opinion of icarus is valid-the only problem i have with that is Icarus moved downward due to the wax wings melting-which is not part of rimmers' visage. (that doesn't mean you're wrong, though)

apollo was said to ride the sun as a chariot across the sky. but we have an ancient image of apollo on the gryphon. that was my point, btw. one or two steps away from the original myth and apollo could wear a tuxedo if that was someone's artistic vision.

most paintings from the renaissance and before showed lucifers' fall with the him being driven by a spear from the archangel Michael. there are exceptions to everything that has gone before-that is what art is: a different perspective.

if it were lucifer, that would be a more romantic image as far as some of zeppelin's audience is concerned. and hey, if that's what you prefer, nobody really knows for sure, so knock yourself out.

the point you mention about what led zeppelin wanted the image to represent is definitely the more compelling question....

a good local resource may be steve jones. i'm sure he has some files in his archive that document the launch of swan song and possibly more clues to what zeppelin intended with the logo. too bad this question isn't in the "mysteries" thread.

Here's another possibility. The first time I saw the label on the poster I thought of the fairy tale about seven brothers who turned into swans by a witch. Their sister needed to knit sweaters for them to wear which would change them back into humans. She had a limited amount of time to make the sweaters. She made six and a half sweaters so the seventh brother was left with wings and a human body. Much later I saw the name swan song and remembered the poster and the story.

Here's another possibility. The first time I saw the label on the poster I thought of the fairy tale about seven brothers who turned into swans by a witch. Their sister needed to knit sweaters for them to wear which would change them back into humans. She had a limited amount of time to make the sweaters. She made six and a half sweaters so the seventh brother was left with wings and a human body. Much later I saw the name swan song and remembered the poster and the story.

very interesting, m2b.....worth investigating.

evster, what is the title of the book you scanned? do you own that or find on the web? i need to see if i have that. btw, i would love to check your personal library out one day. i'm sure it's impressive.

oh, and another groovy avatar....

Archived