the FOOTBALL thread

Hermit

They sure did...I haven't seen that kind of luck since the Cowboys of the 70's. I see some cracks in that amour though...I think they can be had.

There sure seem to be some cracks in the "D", hopefully Bill will get that fixed.

Between last week's game (which I was at) and last nights showed how opposing defenses are trying different strategies and formations against Brady, thats why I commented earlier we need to get Maroney going. Next week should be interesting.

It was nice to see all the Mothership tracks being played!

Hi all,

I'm not sure what your saying about {I'd send someone after Brady} :blink:

When I played ball back in the Dark Ages coaches had "kamikazes"...usually DB's, that they would send into games with the sole purpose of knocking out a player at any cost. Not a starter, mind you, because after a late hit or nasty lick the guy would usually get thrown out of a game (trust me, I know first hand.) All the NFL teams in the 70's had a player like that, now I'm not saying it's very sportsman like, the last team that I know of to do this was the Eagles under Buddy Ryan, one of Buddy's "enforcers" was Andre Waters ( God Rest His Soul) . Coaches always told me "No Knees and No spearing in the back" but everything else was fair game. When I was in my first year of JC, I didn't start because even for junior college ball I was too small, I played in mostly nickel packages and special teams, in one game we had a receiver who seemed to be burning all our DB's so our Secondary coach asked me to see if I could "take him out." On a running play just before the whistle blew the wide out was running along side the play, not sticking his nose in mind you, most wide outs don't look for contact ( another reason to dislike them) , anyway the guy was almost at a complete stop and I zeroed in on the ear hole of his helmet and with a full head of steam put the crown of my hat right on his ear. Needless to say he went down like a ton of bricks and was out for the rest of the game, funny thing was, I knocked myself out as well. I woke up on the sidelines, amonia cap waving under my nose and my coach telling me "I just got a fifteen yarder for unsportsman like conduct" with a smile on his face.

I SO wanted Baltimore to win last night...I HATE N.E. ...... I'm old school, I'd send someone after Brady, but the game is so CIVILIZED these days....

When you said that, the first person that came to mind was Lester Hayes of the Oakland Raiders but he was known for stickum right? I should say the image of the old Oakland Raiders come to mind.

Hi all,

When you said that, the first person that came to mind was Lester Hayes of the Oakland Raiders but he was known for stickum right? I should say the image of the old Oakland Raiders come to mind.

I was think more like Jack Tatum,.. :blink:

Football is violent enough without trying to 'take someone out.' :o

Hi all,

You ever play football ? Please don't kid yourself, it is violent as it is, yes...but if you think guys aren't looking to take off someones head, you better think again. The rules these days make the game safer, geared for big plays and high scores. It's more like "football based entertainment" to me. Give me the NFL circa 1965 -1975, That's real football. Before big contracts, back when a rookie, even a number one pick had to MAKE the team first and talk contract later, before videos and shoe endorsements.

Hi all,

You ever play football ? Please don't kid yourself, it is violent as it is, yes...but if you think guys aren't looking to take off someones head, you better think again. The rules these days make the game safer, geared for big plays and high scores. It's more like "football based entertainment" to me. Give me the NFL circa 1965 -1975, That's real football. Before big contracts, back when a rookie, even a number one pick had to MAKE the team first and talk contract later, before videos and shoe endorsements.

Yes I have and other even more violent activites. You still haven't explained your statement about Brady,....yet.

KB

Hi all,

Yes,please as I am numbnut.

I doubt that ! :lol: ....I'd have someone knock him out of the game, nothing career ending, no knees, just ring his bell, put him on the bench for the day. The Pat's aren't the type of team that would function well with out him. They have great wide outs, but you gotta get them the ball, the running game isn't to the point where a 2nd string QB could just hand the ball off the whole game and expect to win. The Pat's O is what wins their games obviously, the D is good, but they can be run on. Without Brady in there to put up the points, the D would spend more time on the field and that would spell trouble for the Pats. Brady is a hell of QB, all due respect, he is the core element in their O, with out him, they go from being a stellar team to a just a " good team". What position do \ did you play.....I smell offense :D

Hi Bilbo,all!

(Is the Ring still in your pocket?) :lol:

I doubt that ! :lol: ....I'd have someone knock him out of the game, nothing career ending, no knees, just ring his bell, put him on the bench for the day. The Pat's aren't the type of team that would function well with out him. They have great wide outs, but you gotta get them to ball, the running game isn't to the point where a 2nd string QB could just hand the ball off the whole game and expect to win. The Pat's O is what wins their games obviously, the D is good, but they can be run on. Without Brady in there to put up the points, the D would spend more time on the field and that would spell trouble for the Pats. Brady is a hell of QB, all due respect, he is the core element in their O, with out him, they go from being a stellar team to a just a " good team". What position do \ did you play.....I smell offense :D

Well I totally agree with your assesment of the Pats!Without Brady,they go no where! I think that he(Brady) is alot tougher than he looks. You see that blind side hit he took against the Eagles?And getting sacked six times in the last two games didn't look fun,....

I played nose tackle/end,...always liked chasing people,...broads too! :D

p.s. I take it your a Lord of the Rings fan,...

p.s.s. Frank Frazatta too?

Well, everybody agrees the Brady is a great QB but to say the Pats go nowhere without him!

The same can be said about most teams where would the Colts be without Manning? where would the Packers be without Farve? where would the Cowboys be without Romo? Where would the Giants be without Eli? (nevermind that one)

A team's QB and RB is usually your franchise player's

The Pats have not given their running game much of a chance, Maroney is a good back; needs to get the ball more.

Another good test for the Pats coming up

Hi Bilbo,all!

(Is the Ring still in your pocket?) :lol:

Well I totally agree with your assesment of the Pats!Without Brady,they go no where! I think that he(Brady) is alot tougher than he looks. You see that blind side hit he took against the Eagles?And getting sacked six times in the last two games didn't look fun,....

I played nose tackle/end,...always liked chasing people,...broads too! :D

p.s. I take it your a Lord of the Rings fan,...

p.s.s. Frank Frazatta too?

Ah, a man after my own heart :D A huge Tolkien fan here (being hobbit sized) and I do dig Frazetta. Nose tackles were always some of my favorite guys, you have to be a little crazy to play nose. Brady is pretty tough, for sure...Who is his back up anyway ?

Hi all,

Well, everybody agrees the Brady is a great QB but to say the Pats go nowhere without him!

The same can be said about most teams where would the Colts be without Manning? where would the Packers be without Farve? where would the Cowboys be without Romo? Where would the Giants be without Eli? (nevermind that one)

A team's QB and RB is usually your franchise player's

The Pats have not given their running game much of a chance, Maroney is a good back; needs to get the ball more.

Another good test for the Pats coming up

All true,but middle of the road QB= middle of the road team,IMHO.

Maroney had to start hitting the hole,not dancing around.Should be a good game Sunday!

KB

Hi Bilbo,all!

Ah, a man after my own heart :D A huge Tolkien fan here (being hobbit sized) and I do dig Frazetta. Nose tackles were always some of my favorite guys, you have to be a little crazy to play nose. Brady is pretty tough, for sure...Who is his back up anyway ?

Maybe we should start a Tolkien and/or a Frzatta thread! :D

Brady's back up is Matt Cassel:

Matt Cassel

Stats

KB

Hi Bilbo,all!

Maybe we should start a Tolkien and/or a Frzatta thread! :D

Brady's back up is Matt Cassel:

Matt Cassel

Stats

KB

A Tolkien thread would be great ! We had some Frazetta pics on on the old site in the Art thread. By the way...my cousin lost the ring, it turns out that it was a GOOD thing though, sadly he lost a finger at the same time. Back to football, What happened to Troy P., the Steelers SS ? is he out for the game ?

Hi all,

I'd like to point out for the record that the hit that Jack Tatum put on Daryl Stingley was a clean hit and he can't be held accountable for the unfortunate result. Jack could have handled it a lot better afterwards, but it was a clean hit.

As for the rest of his play, Jack Tatum was a similar player to Rodney Harrison and certainly no diritier.

If you want the REAL story on the Raider's secondary of the John Madden era, watch this video.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fEa7bqUD2ns&feature=related

Did they pay a price for playing the way they did? Sure they did. From the way people on this board are talking about Jack Tatum, is it any wonder he didn't get a fair shake from the Refs in the whole immaculate deception reception scenario? But take note of what Raymond Chester of the Colts says- he's someone who played against them, in one of the greatest games in NFL history, the "Ghost From The Post" game. He stands up for Tatum.

Hi Sam,all,

like to point out for the record that the hit that Jack Tatum put on Daryl Stingley was a clean hit and he can't be held accountable for the unfortunate result. Jack could have handled it a lot better afterwards, but it was a clean hit.

As for the rest of his play, Jack Tatum was a similar player to Rodney Harrison and certainly no diritier.

That is true,yet Mr. Harrison didn't put anyone in a wheel chair did he?

Handled it a lot better? That is an under statement,........ :blink:

Archived