Page Interview in Japan

stairway71

Led Zeppelin concert off until at least September

Mon Jan 28, 2008

By Dan Sloan

TOKYO (Reuters) - British rock band Led Zeppelin enjoyed jamming together again last year in a charity concert but won't have another session before September at the earliest, lead guitarist Jimmy Page said in Tokyo on Monday.

A successful reunion show in London in December rekindled hopes of a world tour, but Page said that singer Robert Plant's tour with U.S. country singer Alison Krauss is keeping him busy for now.

"I can assure you the amount of work that we put into the O2 (concert), for ourselves rehearsing and the staging of it, was probably what you put into a world tour," Page said.

But, "Robert Plant also had a parallel project running and he's really busy with that project, certainly until September, so I can't give you any news."

Page, in Tokyo to promote a greatest hits release, painted a happy picture of the reunion.

"It was exhilarating, fantastic, every week was a week to look forward to," he said. "We did the show and it was great."

The band, formed in 1968 by Page, Plant, bass guitarist John Paul Jones and drummer John Bonham, became arguably the world's biggest rock group by the early 1970s.

Their fourth album, released in 1971, included their most famous song, "Stairway to Heaven," while the band has sold an estimated 300 million albums worldwide.

The group decided to break up shortly after Bonham died in September 1980, although Page and Plant collaborated at times over the years.

Plant, Page and Jones performed together in London before about 20,000 fans on December 10, with Bonham's son Jason on the drums.

When the concert was announced, the Internet site selling tickets crashed with applications, while the possibility of a new world tour had fans around the globe excited.

Page said after many years the song indeed remained the same.

"That is what was so thrilling really -- to come together after all this time and find that there was so much chemistry and so much electricity involved in these four characters."

http://www.reuters.com/article/musicNews/i...lBrandChannel=0

:rolleyes: What we already knew.

:rolleyes: What we already knew.

Kind of. But, as with Plant the other day, I'm getting nothing but positive vibes from all four members of the reformed band. Plant will see through the project with Alison Krauss, and JPJ is doing work for the Grammys, but no one is saying that they're booked up after this Summer (as far as I know). I think the scale is tipping far over to the positive for a full-on world tour. None of them seem to have referred to new material, but surely no one can really doubt that either now.

I mean, exactly how negative do you have to be now to think that we won't see more from Zeppelin within the next 12 months?

Remember the post-Live Aid near-reunion that ended before it began almost. That's all I'm saying on any chance of it happening or not. It's all speculative at this point.

Also, if they were to do anything more, it won't be until winter. You saw what Jimmy said - for the one show they did, the rehearsals were the scale of a world tour. I'd expect at least a month or so of rehearsals before they tour IF THEY GET BACK TOGETHER.

I mean, exactly how negative do you have to be now to think that we won't see more from Zeppelin within the next 12 months?

I hope they're keeping a list of the doubters and make them go to the back of the queue for tickets.

This isn't doubting - it's being realistic. Here's why: We've been through this before. Robert was on board in 1986 when they rehearsed with Tony Thompson on drums following the Live Aid show. Then Thompson got in an accident, and Robert called it off and walked away.

Clearly, what's going on now is as promising as those rehearsals 12 years ago this month. But things happen. Until I see official concert dates and Robert, JPJ and Jimmy all saying, "We're going on tour from Date X to Date Y. We'll see you all at the shows," then I'm going to keep a realistic yet hopeful view of everything.

Kind of. But, as with Plant the other day, I'm getting nothing but positive vibes from all four members of the reformed band. Plant will see through the project with Alison Krauss, and JPJ is doing work for the Grammys, but no one is saying that they're booked up after this Summer (as far as I know). I think the scale is tipping far over to the positive for a full-on world tour. None of them seem to have referred to new material, but surely no one can really doubt that either now.

Err...and exactly how blinkered do you have to be to have put two and two together here and have made 25? None of the members have said there will be ANYTHING from Zeppelin in the next 12 months - not before the O2, show or since. I'm not even a tiny bit negative about it - I just see it for what it is.

Oh and Croquet - they didn't keep a list of 'doubters' about the O2 - many of the people who said I was talking shite about a reunion and that it WOULD be shite anyway, still ended up with tickets.

This isn't doubting - it's being realistic. Here's why: We've been through this before.

Sure. And they got together three times in public. They didn't carry on after two of those events, but we all know how negatively they felt about Live Aid, and how late they went on stage at the Atlantic anniversary. It went wrong both times. The O2 vibe is very different, from initial try-it-and-see get together, to regular and serious rehearsals, to the actual show, to the aftermath.

They've all been really positive about the whole experience this time, including Robert Plant. He obviously enjoyed it, feels great relief that it went right, and hasn't repeated his "it's a one-off show" mantra since.

I'm just getting good vibes this time, and I don't mind saying it.

[p.s. As I'm sure you know, I was joking about witholding tickets from doubters! :rolleyes: ]

Jimmy Page has spoken and made all the Zep to play Tennessee, Glasto and the world

speculation look rather stupid. Hopefully we'll get a six month hour or more reprieve from it.

Here, Steve, I edited this for you :D

And croquet...what Knebby said. I've said all along that none of the band members had said anything. All this speculation was nothing more than industry people (agents/promoters/venue managers) trying to hype it up to see if the din was loud enough that the band would give in right away. But once again, their song remains the same as it was going into the O2 show: It was a one-off show to honor Ahmet Ertegun.

Jimmy Page has spoken and made all the Zep to play Tennessee, Glasto and the world

speculation look rather stupid.

All that any of them have said is that Robert has to finish his project with Alison Krauss. I don't see how the speculation has been made to look stupid at all. Sure, they won't be playing this year's Glastonbury, but I don't suppose many of us thought they'd play Glastonbury anyway, ever. We all knew that Robert was committed to an extensive tour with Alison. It's what comes after that which we (fans rather than media) need to watch out for, and to me the comments all seem positive.

Robert Plant could very easily say, "No, I'm really sorry everyone but I just don't think it would be right to do more Led Zeppelin shows". He's been interviewed twice on television since O2 and he has not taken either opportunity to say that. Neither has Jimmy Page, nor John Paul Jones, and Jason is chomping at the bit!

Maybe you're all just sick of speculation from uninformed people, which is completely understandable. But my cup is half full, not half empty.

English rock band Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page poses for photographers during a press conference to promote the new Zeppelin release "Mothership" in Tokyo Monday, Jan. 28, 2008. Page says that after burning up the stage in London last month with a one-night reunion concert he is ready to take the legendary band out on a world tour. But, he said, it's not going to happen anytime soon - the singer has other plans. (AP Photo/Koji Sasahara)

JPTokyoIIIJan08.jpg

JPTokyoIIJan08.jpg

JPTokyoJan08.jpg

Led Zeppelin Guitarist Wants World Tour

By ERIC TALMADGE – 1 hour ago

TOKYO (AP) — Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page said Monday he was ready to take the iconic band on a world tour after burning up the stage at last month's reunion concert in London. But it probably won't be before September.

"The amount of work we put into O2 was what you would normally put into a world tour anyway," Page, 64, said of the intense rehearsing the band did for the Dec. 10 concert at London's O2 Arena.

The band's three surviving members — Page, singer Robert Plant and bassist-keyboardist John Paul Jones — were joined at the sold-out benefit show by the late John Bonham's son Jason on drums.

Page, who was in Japan to promote the new Zeppelin release, "Mothership," said the two-hour-plus concert was proof that Led Zeppelin can still perform at its best.

He said the band, which formed in 1968, was ready musically to get back together and take it out on a wider run, but it was not clear when it would go on tour as the singer had other plans.

"Robert Plant has a parallel project and he is busy with that until September," Page said.

Plant and bluegrass star Alison Krauss will begin their world tour with a run of shows in the southern U.S. this spring. The two released an album in October called "Raising Sand" that debuted at No. 2 on the Billboard chart in the U.S. The duo will tour Europe in May before returning for North American shows still to be announced for June and July.

Page said the band set their standards very high before agreeing to do the reunion, their first in 20 years. Led Zeppelin broke up in 1980 after the elder Bonham's death.

Page said they rehearsed for weeks, apprehensive that the cohesion they had in the 1970s when they were at their peak might be hard to rediscover.

"We wanted people who might not have even been alive in 1980 when we finished to understand what we were," he said.

Page said all went well until he broke a finger in three places, forcing the band to postpone the show for several weeks.

"But we did the show, and it was great," he said. "It was instant in terms of chemistry."

Well, this was a predictable outcome. Jimmy calls press conference to make sure impatient Led Heads won't show Ms Krauss anything but the warmest hospitalities. He did however bait us with the key words we were waiting for. World tour, chemistry,electricity still there... and implies indirectly that Jason Bonham is a member. 10 months gives JP plenty of time to heal, get the O2 DVD together, work on his chops a bit more and review every unused riff he's got. Things are going really well. What we have not heard is NO!

Now we have to do our part. Go enjoy Plant-Krauss and show them a good time!

I'm not gunna get involved in the big will they or won't they debate...until I see the dates and have the opportunity for a ticket then I will believe it. However....I only popped in here to say that I think he looks great in those photos. :thumbsup: I think he's still got a lot of Rock and Roll left in him.

For the record....

Sept. 7, 2008 marks the 40th anniversary of Led Zeppelin's first concert in Gladsaxe, Denmark.

I'm not saying...I'm just merely pointing out the fact.

A 40th anniversary tour...sounds good to me! If it happens, the frenzy for tickets will be insane.

Great news to start my week out on! Great pix's of Jimmy to start my day out on!! He is looking better all the time! :D Let's go rock'n in the states, Jimmy!! :P

What news? He's promoting Mothership - that's all.

It amazes me how people are interpreting this as an announcement. :blink:

:D Wishful thinking... sometimes it does get the better of people. I've definitely been guilty of it. :lol:

Positivity is to be comended, as long as you don't get carried away.......looking on this forum you'd think Pagey had just announced more dates. B)

Archived