Page Interview in Japan

stairway71

Songbird, I know that there are more than a few of us on this board from back in the LZ days who are not surprised that Jimmy said that.

The original title for Early Days/Later Days was Blast Off! Atlantic changed the title just prior to release but not the cover art. I don't think Jimmy was ever thrilled by this turn

of events. Mothership took flight to right the slight.

You're welcome, EBD! I actually woke up my husband early this morning so I could read about Jimmy's press conference and, hopefully, see some recent pics of him. I wasn't disappointed! :D

Here's another one for you (this one squeezes my heart a bit b/c I clearly see back to the Jimmy of 35 years ago):

JPTokyoIVJan08.jpg

I just realized why he looks better than he has in years thanks to this photo and the one at the bottom of your first post. JIMMY HAS HIS CHIN BACK. YAY!!!

What news? He's promoting Mothership - that's all.

Asked if loyal fans who had bought Led Zeppelin product in various formats over the years should buy "Mothership," Page replied, "Please don't -- I don't want you to buy it."

It amazes me how people are interpreting this as an announcement. :blink:

He noted that Zeppelin vocalist Robert Plant "also has a parallel project running [with Alison Krauss], and he's really busy with that project, certainly until September. So I can't give you any news on anything at the moment."

I interpret parallel track to mean one of two tracks, perhaps of equal dimensions. What do you think the other track is? My read of the tea leaves is Zep is doing something, if not later this year, early next.

Here's a bit of an addition to the interview with Page. It was in Daily Telegraph today. Just wondering what it could be. This part of the interview comes from one of Jimmy's PR people, Chris Goodman

From Dailytelegraph.uk.

Led Zeppelin 'considering world tour'

By Sophie Borland and Richard Alleyne

Last Updated: 1:10pm GMT 28/01/2008

Led Zeppelin have given the strongest hint yet that they are planning a world tour, likely to be the biggest in the history of rock music, following the success of their one-off concert last year.

In full: The band that redrew the rock and roll rule book

Lead guitarist Jimmy Page has said that the band are ready to reunite and prepare for a series of events as soon as they have tied-up their individual projects.

The tour would not take place until next Autumn at the earliest

Since the group performed a hugely successful reunion concert in front of 22,000 fans at London’s O2 centre in December, speculation has been mounting that an announcement of a series of world dates is imminent.

Page, who is now 64, described the event as “exhilarating” and fantastic” and said that it proved that the band are ready to perform more live events.

He did add that it would not be happening until next Autumn at the earliest as singer Robert Plant is touring with the US country and western singer Alison Krauss.

Speaking to promote the band’s Mothership Greatest Hits album in Japan, he said: “We did the show and it was great.”

advertisement

“It was exhilarating, fantastic, every week was a week to look forward to.

“I can assure you the amount of work that we put into the O2, for ourselves rehearsing and the staging of it, was probably what you put into a world tour.”

“Robert Plant also had a parallel project running and he’s really busy with that project, certainly until September, so I can’t give you any news.”

Chris Goodman, from The Outside Organisation, who look after the band’s PR, said: “Jimmy has said that the band will be meeting up in August to talk about it.

“The band meet all the time.

“There is something in it but I can’t give you any more news at the moment.”

Last week Robert Plant suggested that a tour was on the cards by saying “you never know what’s round the corner” when asked about a possible reunion at a basketball match.

The group, who’s original members included Page, Plant, bass guitarist John Paul Jones and drummer John Bonham, formed in 1968 and became arguably the world’s biggest rock groups.

Their fourth album, released in 1971, included their most famous song, “Stairway to Heaven”, while the band has sold an estimated 300 million albums worldwide.

But when Bonham died suddenly following a drinking binge in September 1980 the remaining members decided the band had died with him and they went their separate ways.

Until last year the trio’s only other reunions had been a disappointing performance at the 1985 Live Aid concert and their 1995 induction into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame.

More than 22,000 fans watched their performance at the O2 concert on December 10 in which the three remaining band members unite within Bonham’s son Jason on the drums.

Since the O2 concert on December 10, sales of the group’s best of album Mothership have soared and it is now on course to become one of the biggest albums of all time.

He noted that Zeppelin vocalist Robert Plant "also has a parallel project running [with Alison Krauss], and he's really busy with that project, certainly until September. So I can't give you any news on anything at the moment."

I interpret parallel track to mean one of two tracks, perhaps of equal dimensions. What do you think the other track is? My read of the tea leaves is Zep is doing something, if not later this year, early next.

I was thinking the same thing. "Parallel project" certainly implies that Zep is up to something.

Knebby---yestarday I was going to respond to a coment you made on another thread-----you said something about the Klaxons on nme ,said "The Mothership" was the worst album of the year

I remember the Klaxons (whoever they are) dissing the Who before they played at Glastonbury last year. Obviously their tactic is to slag off the world's best groups in a sad attempt to try and get noticed. Who cares? In a couple of years they will no doubt be consigned to the dustbin of history.

I think people will still be aware of the Stones, the Who and Led Zep at the end of the century.

It's not cynicism, it's a reality check for anyone who believes they're playing five nights at Giants Stadium, the summer festival circuit, World Tour t-shirts are being produced in Asia... The man can't give a press conference without a million people feeling entitled to say what it meant. He has spoken but few seem to have heard what he said.

OK steve , I relize you have a vast resouce of archives on LED ZEPPELIN previous info to your credit& thank you for that-Now tell us when was the last time you and Jimmy Page spoke personally ? Does he call you every week? Did he call you or speak to you in person and tell you his plans? I can guarentee you and any one who reads this forum all the members of Led Zeppelin would be supportive of my postive encouragement in believeing for more shows from them ,Robert Plant Chiefly ! (by the way they have my IP--and Know who I am) I am not making any attempt to annouce any offical dates etc. merely a postive expression of possiblity thingking!

I remember the Klaxons (whoever they are) dissing the Who before they played at Glastonbury last year. Obviously their tactic is to slag off the world's best groups in a sad attempt to try and get noticed. Who cares? In a couple of years they will no doubt be consigned to the dustbin of history.

I think people will still be aware of the Stones, the Who and Led Zep at the end of the century.

CLARIFY___My point in the post was Not The Klaxons themselves it was the song gravities rainbow ---what I said is excatly what happened ,it was a spontaneous sharing ---(not contrived ) nor with any intent other then being supportive of LED ZEPPELIN, other post on this site I`ve lauded on the visionary brillance that ultimately Robert Plant has released through some of his lyrics.Gravities Rainbow --is not an original concept from the klaxons--you may or may not be aware of that .AS for the other two bands you mention yes, they are important ---I am all for an entire Rock-n-Roll-RE-vival ! More LED ZEPPELIN !

OK steve , I relize you have a vast resouce of archives on LED ZEPPELIN previous info to your credit& thank you for that-Now tell us when was the last time you and Jimmy Page spoke personally ? Does he call you every week? Did he call you or speak to you in person and tell you his plans? I can guarentee you and any one who reads this forum all the members of Led Zeppelin would be supportive of my postive encouragement in believeing for more shows from them ,Robert Plant Chiefly ! (by the way they have my IP--and Know who I am) I am not making any attempt to annouce any offical dates etc. merely a postive expression of possiblity thingking!

Completely irrelevent to the point I am making: everyone heard him speak today yet

few seem to have heard what he said. While your thanking me, be sure to remember who in fact announced today's press conference on this site a week ago.

Led Zeppelin concert off until at least September

Mon Jan 28, 2008

By Dan Sloan

TOKYO (Reuters) - British rock band Led Zeppelin enjoyed jamming together again last year in a charity concert but won't have another session before September at the earliest, lead guitarist Jimmy Page said in Tokyo on Monday.

A successful reunion show in London in December rekindled hopes of a world tour, but Page said that singer Robert Plant's tour with U.S. country singer Alison Krauss is keeping him busy for now.

"I can assure you the amount of work that we put into the O2 (concert), for ourselves rehearsing and the staging of it, was probably what you put into a world tour," Page said.

But, "Robert Plant also had a parallel project running and he's really busy with that project, certainly until September, so I can't give you any news."

Page, in Tokyo to promote a greatest hits release, painted a happy picture of the reunion.

"It was exhilarating, fantastic, every week was a week to look forward to," he said. "We did the show and it was great."

The band, formed in 1968 by Page, Plant, bass guitarist John Paul Jones and drummer John Bonham, became arguably the world's biggest rock group by the early 1970s.

Their fourth album, released in 1971, included their most famous song, "Stairway to Heaven," while the band has sold an estimated 300 million albums worldwide.

The group decided to break up shortly after Bonham died in September 1980, although Page and Plant collaborated at times over the years.

Plant, Page and Jones performed together in London before about 20,000 fans on December 10, with Bonham's son Jason on the drums.

When the concert was announced, the Internet site selling tickets crashed with applications, while the possibility of a new world tour had fans around the globe excited.

Page said after many years the song indeed remained the same.

"That is what was so thrilling really -- to come together after all this time and find that there was so much chemistry and so much electricity involved in these four characters."

http://www.reuters.com/article/musicNews/i...lBrandChannel=0

:rolleyes: What we already knew.

Awww, and all this time I thought he was going to Japan to give a lecture on the true meaning of Zoso. I hate being wrong all the time. shrug.gif

:rolleyes:

Since when have you been "many" people?

You're so vain, I bet you think this post is about you............

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::blush:

Back to the thread:

It always amazes me how the majority of people regard themselves more knowledgeable than the person who has made the statement. WHY can't we just take things at face value? Instead of interpreting, re-interpreting, re-re-interpreting and re-re-re-interpreting! If Jimmy had anything concrete to say about further concerts he would have said it. As it is, he's said it would be at LEAST September (if then)! I'm sure he's happy to do some (as are we), BUT he's only a quarter of the equation!

Furthermore

The Black Crowes couldn't get a record deal to save their lives

Steve, on what grounds do you say this?

Completely irrelevent to the point I am making: everyone heard him speak today yet

few seem to have heard what he said. While your thanking me, be sure to remember who in fact announced today's press conference on this site a week ago.

I read that release on the net,before getting on the forum ? many posters have been posting various press copies? Have a nice day Steve.

Maybe I'm missing the boat here but I still don't see how the comments Robert and Jimmy have made about feeling positive about their performance at the 02 (the electricity etc.) automatically get translated into they're hinting at more shows or a tour. I take it to mean they were really happy to have given such a great show in honor of Ahmet, and to have Jason as a part of it, particularly after two prior get togethers were not quite up to par.

Maybe I'm missing the boat here but I still don't see how the comments Robert and Jimmy have made about feeling positive about their performance at the 02 (the electricity etc.) automatically get translated into they're hinting at more shows or a tour. I take it to mean they were really happy to have given such a great show in honor of Ahmet, and to have Jason as a part of it, particularly after two prior get togethers were not quite up to par.

They don't. But for many, hope springs eternal with their positive comments about O2. And I don't consider myself an exception in those feelings. However, my mantra is until they make an official announcement, there's much adieu about nothing. As far as I'm concerned, the only member from that group touring at the moment is Robert Plant with Allison Krause and that's what I'm looking forward to :) Can't wait for the additional US tour dates to be announced so I can make plans. I'm looking into the NO Jazz Fest...we'll see how things go.

Steve, on what grounds do you say this (Black Crowes could not get a record deal)?

Columbia Records dropped them when they're 5th album, 'By Your Side', failed to sell. The V2 record label did not sign them until after they'd reaped the benefit of touring with Jimmy.

It was actually Ross who first suggested Jimmy work with them, way back in June 1999.

Jimmy needed a band for an upcoming charity gig on June 27 1999 at the Cafe du Paris

in London. The Black Crowes had just played Wembley, and readily accepted the offer.

They rehearsed the night before and performed a ten-song set at the charity gig.

Two months later, Black Crowes manager Peter Angelus called Jimmy and asked if he'd

be interested in a touring collaboration. Jimmy readily agreed, and they held two days

of rehearsals following the Oct 9th 1999 Net Aid benefit concert at Giants Stadium in

East Rutherford, NJ. This was followed by six shows in seven days (Manhattan, Worcester, MA and the Greek Theater in Griffith Park, Los Angeles).

February 29th 2000 saw the release of 'Jimmy Page & The Black Crowes Live at the Greek' available exclusively from MusicMaker.com. Extensive press and promotional

duties were fulfilled. (It was subsequently released on TVT Records July 4th 2000).

April 14th 2000 saw the announcement of North American tour dates in tandem with

The Who, whom were also managed by Bill Curbishley. A total of seven dates in July

and August were performed before the remainder were cancelled on account of a

back injury Jimmy sustained.

The Black Crowes were signed soonafter by V2 and released their sixth album in 2001.

There have been some very misleading reports of this story. For example, Yahoo is reporting it in terms of "when" they tour, but even they couldn't come up with a headline that could claim more than "Led Zeppelin guitarist wants world tour." Well, duh!

Very true Aqua! :yes:

They don't. But for many, hope springs eternal with their positive comments about O2. And I don't consider myself an exception in those feelings. However, my mantra is until they make an official announcement, there's much adieu about nothing. As far as I'm concerned, the only member from that group touring at the moment is Robert Plant with Allison Krause and that's what I'm looking forward to :) Can't wait for the additional US tour dates to be announced so I can make plans. I'm looking into the NO Jazz Fest...we'll see how things go.

It is understandable that hope springs eternal but for me, I can't see reading into things and trying to figure out some hidden meaning. Until such time (if there were to be), something is officially announced, I too am looking forward to seeing Robert and Alison on tour.

Archived