Queen (Under Rated?)

ZoSo88

It's subtle, and it's hard to explain in a post. If you listen to someone who is Indian but speaking English, and then listen to Freddie, you can hear some similarities. Ah, like I say, it's hard to explain in this format.

It's ok, I know what you mean.... I just don't really agree.. :P

In terms of being a "comedy band", I think some folks just don't get Queen's "tongue in cheek" style. And that's ok. Spinal Tap and Bad News are comedy bands. Queen just has a wonderful sense of humor. :)

So all that talk about Stonehenge, Tonight We're Gonna Rock You Tonight, and Big Bottom, those were just jokes... :'(

You didn't start anything, your opinion counts.

I think it's funny when people will dismiss albums like News of The World saying "oh that's the one with We Will Rock You and We Are The Champions on it", because those are the so called "hits".

Those two would be my least favorite on the album because of the constant airplay and what Crab

said about the sports arena anthems.

It's my favorite Queen album, I just really like the different moods it has, it takes you hard against the wall, then brings you back.

I could put this CD on anytime and listen straight through.

Here is the track listing, no fillers for me.

1 We Will Rock You (2:01)

2 We Are the Champions (2:59)

3 Sheer Heart Attack (3:24)

4 All Dead, All Dead (3:09)

5 Spread Your Wings (4:32)

6 Fight from the Inside (3:03)

7 Get Down, Make Love (3:51)

8 Sleeping on the Sidewalk (3:07)

9 Who Needs You (3:07)

10 It's Late (6:27)

11 My Melancholy Blues (3:29)

All your points are valid, I even think that Sick Again is a filler on PG !!!! and feel that there were many beter songs on PG that they could of done live alongside Kash, Tramp and Dying. I think Custard pie is by far a better track than Sick Again !! anyway thats off topic so I will stop.

I will however dig out my copy of News of the World sometime and listen to it again and see if it has fillers in :D . If there isn't then I will be big enough to come back on here and go back on what I say (although I did say on an Earlier post that Queen II hasn't any fillers), Maybe it is the fact that we hear the singles soooo much that we tend to forget or I do that they did do some great album tracks like Dragon attack on The Game.!!!

Bit of a comedy band? Please... They were all supremely competent musicians performing complex musical arrangements and harmonies..

Still doesn't negate that they were a bit of a comedy band in my opinion. I didn't say they were only a comedy band. They were generally too fun, lightweight, poppy and comedic for my tastes. Even with a lot of their harder non commercial stuff I still get that feeling (can't quite explain it).

I'm sorry, I'm all for accepting people simply not having a taste for their style, but to call them a comedy band not to take seriously is a bit too much for me!

Sorry, just don't try and pop a blood vessel. Not as if I said they were sh!te is it? I did clearly write "for my taste".

I seriously think that some people can't seem to comprehend when a band has more than more weapon in their arsenal. When more than one facet can come to the fore...

Wooooooooooooo. This is a LED ZEPPELIN board. There weren't many (any?) bands with more varied weapons in their arsenal than Zeppelin. You cannot use that accusation. That's bollocks quite frankly.

Black Dog to Battle Of Evermore? On the same album? Hmmmmm, Queen were not the only band with more than one weapon in their arsenal. :rolleyes:

Lightweight and poppy? I'd have to seriously doubt you've heard all of their material from that statement, and if you have, I'd like to hear an explanation to understand better...

I said generally. Not all. I stand by that.

And to Mangani, Van Halen and one million other bands have self titled their first few albums.

LOL, and Van Halen were not also hugely influenced by Zeppelin then??? If you don't think Eddie van Halen was trying to be Jimmy Page, well then????? If you don't think Diamond Dave was trying to be Robert Plant, well then??????????????? :D

Look, it's no secret. Queen were very enamoured with Led Zeppelin. Plant was one of Mercury's fave singers (and it shows), Bonzo was Taylor's fave drummer, May was a big fan of Page. Queen were four piece band that liked to hard rock and then explore other territories? Naming their first album Queen then their second album Queen II. Queen were not in the slightest trying to be Led Zeppelin in the early days????? Hmmmmmmmmmm.

I'm sure LZ weren't the first to do it

Don't know. You might be right. Can't think of any others that did it before them however. Led Zep for sure were the ones that inspired Queen to do likewise. I'm sure Queen didn't get the idea off Val Doonican II.

and I know Queen weren't the only ones to follow :P

Yeah but ya gotta admit...it's a bit sus. :D

I definitely hear the Indian in Freddie's speech, though.

For those who don't know, Freddie was born in Zanzibar, schooled in India, and then moved to England in 1964.

I agree. At times when Mercury spoke there was something 'foreign' that I could detect as well. You have to listen hard though. It's not bang in your face evident.

Still doesn't negate that they were a bit of a comedy band in my opinion. I didn't say they were only a comedy band. They were generally too fun, lightweight, poppy and comedic for my tastes. Even with a lot of their harder non commercial stuff I still get that feeling (can't quite explain it).

Sorry, just don't try and pop a blood vessel. Not as if I said they were sh!te is it? I did clearly write "for my taste".

Wooooooooooooo. This is a LED ZEPPELIN board. There weren't many (any?) bands with more varied weapons in their arsenal than Zeppelin. You cannot use that accusation. That's bollocks quite frankly.

Black Dog to Battle Of Evermore? On the same album? Hmmmmm, Queen were not the only band with more than one weapon in their arsenal. :rolleyes:

I said generally. Not all. I stand by that.

I'm only arguing a point with you, mate... Did you just expect everyone to agree with what you said... :rolleyes: There were never any vessels poppin' either, you may be sad to hear.. :lol:

I still don't agree with anything you've said. Yes, this is a Zeppelin board, but it's also a Queen discussion... So, I really don't see how emphasizing that makes a point any stronger. Seeing as I never compared Queen to Zeppelin in the first place, or, for that matter, stated that Queen were the only band with more than one weapon in their arsenal... (Not sure how you interpreted it that way)

I respect your opinion, and that Queen are obviously not to your tastes, but that's not going to stop me defending what I see to be unfair remarks about them.

I'm only arguing a point with you, mate... Did you just expect everyone to agree with what you said... :rolleyes:

Not at all. But when somebody doesn't much care for a certain band it's not really fair to start saying words to the effect of "well it's because you don't understrand when a band are multifaceted".

You wrote the following

:

""I seriously think that some people can't seem to comprehend when a band has more than more weapon in their arsenal.

My not loving Queen has got nothing to do with them having more than one weapon in their arsenal. Led Zeppelin had pea shooters, caterpults, bow and arrows, machine guns, tanks and nukes all in the same arsenal and they could use each and every one of them whenever they liked. :D

There were never any vessels poppin' either, you may be sad to hear.. :lol:

:D

Yes, this is a Zeppelin board, but it's also a Queen discussion... So, I really don't see how emphasizing that makes a point any stronger.

The point had to be made that Led Zeppelin were multi faceted with various weapons in their musical arsenal, so it wasn't that reason why Queen are not really to my taste....as you were theorising. I was just putting you straight on that.

Seeing as I never compared Queen to Zeppelin in the first place, or, for that matter, stated that Queen were the only band with more than one weapon in their arsenal... (Not sure how you interpreted it that way)

See above. You theorised that people can't understand when a band is varied. Most people here are Led Zep fans so that would argue the point automatically.

I still don't agree with anything you've said.

You don't agree with any of it? What, not even that the media in England adored them and that Queen were shoved down our throats quite a lot??

I respect your opinion, and that Queen are obviously not to your tastes, but that's not going to stop me defending what I see to be unfair remarks about them.

I'm not trying to do that. You go for it and praise Queen all you like. However, this is a forum for Led Zeppelin, not Queen or any other band so there are also going to be people who don't like the bands that others like and will come into these threads and say so.

That's all really. As I said, I haven't said I hate them or that they are crap etc etc.

Wow. I always understood that May liked Cliff Richard and he and Taylor were big on Hendrix. I think that the whole band were pretty into The Beatles to be honest with you. I'm not trying to completely deny that there was some sort of LZ influence on Queen, but they had all started playing instruments and in bands before LZ were known.

Roger Taylor:

""""The greatest Rock'n'Roll drummer of all time was John Bonham who did things that nobody bad ever even thought possible before with the drum kit. And also the greatest sound out of his drums - they sounded enormous, and just one bass drum. So fast on it that he did more with one bass drum than most people could do with three, if they could manage them. And he had technique to burn and fantastic power and tremendous feel for rock'n'roll "When the levee breaks" is the archetypal heavy drum sound - it's never been bettered - it's like a steamroller, enormous bass drum. Simple but takes feel..........The interplay between the guitars and drums was wonderful on that. He used to use 4 microphones on the drum kit - quite inexpensive microphones just placed properly, drums tuned properly, played properly sounded great and the first time I saw Led Zeppelin, Bonzo just walked on the stage and just warmed up for about 10 seconds. Freddie and I nearly fell over we just couldn't believe the power and the sound. People are still today trying to imitate Led Zeppelin, America is full of drummers trying to play like John Bonham.""

]http://queen.musichall.cz/en/interviews/roger-taylor-bbc-radio-1-93.html

Roger Taylor on Led Zeppelin (video...U.K Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame):

""...influenced thousands of bands to come. I know because we (Queen) nicked quite a bit from them""

Freddie Mercury:

""Back in the old days, we were often compared to Led Zeppelin. If we did something with harmony, it was the Beach Boys. Something heavy was Led Zeppelin. Robert Plant was always my favorite singer-and he's said nice things about me, you know.""

http://www.queenzone.com/queenzone/article_show.aspx?Q=55

Brian May:

""... it would be impossible for my life to exist without Led Zeppelin, I think.....It was - yeah I went to see them many times and I think with a tinge of jealousy, because we were trying to get our group together at the time now I remember.....But I gotta say, Zeppelin were a model to us, not just musically but also business-wise. You know we were in awe of the way they handled themselves and kept themselves kind of apart from the pop scene and they never put out a single. You know, their management was always very powerful, you know - the great Peter Grant - had that all together and, yeah, just a no compromise kind of thing. I really admired that.....""

http://www.brianmay.com/brian/briannews/briannewsjan06.html

Reading between the lines...........I can see that in the early days Queen kinda, sorta.....wanted to be Led Zeppelin, or at the very least be like them. They were very enamoured with them and the various band members.

:)

Wow. I always understood that May liked Cliff Richard and he and Taylor were big on Hendrix. I think that the whole band were pretty into The Beatles to be honest with you. I'm not trying to completely deny that there was some sort of LZ influence on Queen, but they had all started playing instruments and in bands before LZ were known.

Yeah, I think maybe too much is being made of LZ being a Queen influence here. There's no doubt at all that Zep is very influential. They're a powerhouse. But I'm starting to get a sense that folks are implying that Queen were what they were because they stole ideas from Zep, that they didn't think for themselves, and that's not true at all.

I can see what you're saying, Mangani, me ol' mucker... but I still don't agree.. :lol:

Queen weren't shoved down my throat.. and, yes, they had a good relationship with the media for the most part, but they courted that kind of thing... especially Freddie. (I don't see how that's necessarily a bad thing anyway?)

I can accept the Zeppelin point being brought up... but i'd really like to think that's been dealt with now and we can go on discussing Queen and their own merits (or lack of, depending on opinion)..

Yeah, I think maybe too much is being made of LZ being a Queen influence here. There's no doubt at all that Zep is very influential. They're a powerhouse. But I'm starting to get a sense that folks are implying that Queen were what they were because they stole ideas from Zep, that they didn't think for themselves, and that's not true at all.

Ouch. Before you carry on, read my post just above yours.

By the way, I only ever said in the early days that Queen clearly wanted to be Led Zeppelin. Roger Taylor himself said they nicked stuff of Zep. You DON'T have such an affection for a band and NOT want to be them, or like them. It's human nature to want to be like those you adore. Cleary Mercury, May and Taylor adored Zeppelin and Zeppelin were a model for them eary on.

Sure, later on Queen became their own force and their own band but there was some wanting to be like Led Zeppelin in their early days at least.

I can see what you're saying, Mangani, me ol' mucker... but I still don't agree.. :lol:

That's ok. Disagreement is fine.LOL.

Queen weren't shoved down my throat.. and, yes, they had a good relationship with the media for the most part, but they courted that kind of thing... especially Freddie. (I don't see how that's necessarily a bad thing anyway?)

Oh no it's not. Alls I was saying that (being in England) no way were Queen underrated here. Never.

I can accept the Zeppelin point being brought up... but i'd really like to think that's been dealt with now and we can go on discussing Queen and their own merits (or lack of, depending on opinion)..

Okeydokey, fair enough. I'll say no more on the subject. I think I have proven my point. You are free to wax lyrical about Queen without my oar being stuck in it hehe.

That's ok. Disagreement is fine.LOL.

Oh no it's not. Alls I was saying that (being in England) no way were Queen underrated here. Never.

Okeydokey, fair enough. I'll say no more on the subject. I think I have proven my point. You are free to wax lyrical about Queen without my oar being stuck in it hehe.

I don't mind people 'sticking their oar in' as you so eloquently put it, mate... Makes for an interesting discussion!

Ok Mangani, you've proved your point. I believe you that Queen liked LZ and looked at them as a source of influence but I still think that they are two very different bands. Maybe all the bands were trying to be like that at the time, and Queen just managed to do it the best. The reason why Queen made it a lot further than other bands is because they had talent, and that wasn't something that Led Zeppelin could give them.

Cheers. :beer:

Ok Mangani, you've proved your point. I believe you that Queen liked LZ and looked at them as a source of influence but I still think that they are two very different bands. Maybe all the bands were trying to be like that at the time, and Queen just managed to do it the best. The reason why Queen made it a lot further than other bands is because they had talent, and that wasn't something that Led Zeppelin could give them.

Well said! B)

Wow! Two of my favorite singers admired each other! I'd just like to know some of the "nice things" Robert said about Freddie.

(And Queen DID nick alot from ZEp in the early days. Ever hear "Son and Daughter" from the first album? Or the B-side "See What a Fool I've Been"? Pure Zeppish!)

If Queen wanted to sound like Led Zep, they should've had Taylor as their singer. I know this sounds hypocritical of me, but it's not to do with Queen as a band; check this out:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mc250FLwwl4

If you try not to focus on the video too much, I think you can hear the similarities in Taylor and Plant's voices. And I do think it is just a coincidence.

I didn't think much of that performance... but I absolutely adore 'I'm In Love With My Car'!

Great live song with Rog singing! B)

Oh, I'm not exactly trying to praise the performance either. I think it was just a case of Roger being backstage and they asked him to do it, and he did. You can tell he must have spent a lot of time listening to the song though :D .

I'm In Love With My Car is great! How he can put so much effort into singing and still play the drums is beyond me. That song really suits his voice.

I love singing along to that song too!

Oooh

The machine of a dream, such a clean machine

With the pistons a pumpin', and the hubcaps all gleam

When I'm holding your wheel

All I hear is your gear

With my hand on your grease gun

Mmm it's like a disease son

I'm in love with my car, gotta feel for my automobile

Get a grip on my boy racer rollbar

Such a thrill when your radials squeal

Told my girl I'll have to forget her

Rather buy me a new carburettor

So she made tracks saying this is the end now

Cars don't talk back they're just four wheeled friends now

When I'm holding your wheel

All I hear is your gear

When I'm cruisin' in overdrive

Don't have to listen to no run of the mill talk jive

I'm in love with my car (love with my car), gotta feel for my automobile

I'm in love with my car (love with my car), string back gloves in my automolove

A great band. They are very, very popular here in Brazil. I saw them live back in 1981 and 1985. Amazing concerts. Freddie Mercury was the best frontman ever (sorry, Robert)

Where in brazil was the show ?? the 81 gig was the time of Hot Space album, I really liked that although I know a few who didn't !!

I found some more of my memorabilia of when I saw them at Freds last gig 1996!!

queen3.jpg

meatkneb86th.jpg

The weather for this years Knebworth was great; unlike 85's mud bath. When I woke in the camp site on the morning of the gig, I was greeted with a big biker bloke having a pee on someones tent (lovely !!).

They had to let people in from about 9am to the arena, we made our way down to near the front where a big tree was (just right of the mixing desk) surrounded by board to protect it and the Lights that were erected. It was a good place as you had somewhere to lean against when sitting down(had to look after that spot as it was sought after).

Quo were good value and got the crowd going. I think they were playing another gig that night in Europe. I remember the singer of Big Country taking a pic of us lot for his scrapbook. They are not a band that I like much and I am afraid seeing them live did not change my mind.

Queen were professional and slick, great songs(every one a classic) and Freddie was just as Freddie is, a total showman from beginning to end. They came on playing "One Vision" which was a great opener.

The crowd was huge(120,000 plus). I remember thinking how wonderful the whole crowd looked as it went dark and they shone the light over us. It still sends shivers down your spine.

When Queen came on I remember being asked to pass a message on up to the Guys on the lighting rig to radio for help as someone had been stabbed just a few metres away from us. I remember the ambulance having to slowly wade its way through the crowd at snails pace).

Yea I know this isn't about LZ directly .............. in my personal opinion, I'd rank Queen as seconds best (if its at all possible to try to rank), but they are at least my second favorite. But when mentioningb bands right there along with LZ, only one other person metioned Queen, but many mentioned The Beatles, The Who, The Stones, Nirvana, etc...So this beggs the question to me at least, is Queen underrated? I'll tell you why I'm so high up on them..

Alot of people say The Who, and i really like them myself. But in all fairness, how many Who songs to most people really know? Also compare lyrical content...Queen is the only band in the songwriters hall of fame for a reason, i wouldnt know how to stright up compare quality of lyrics..you'd have to extensivly listen to both, and certainly no knock on the Who, i just thing Queen is something totally else. But i'll let the rest of the discussion go one with you guys...what do you think?

Hi again Zoso88!

You are on Queen again .... ;-) Yeah, you know my personal opinion and so I'm glad that the two of us now found their KFC finally!

Heya, I am indeed a great Who-Fan! Maybe they are not really shooting stars in writing lyrics but they are just amazing in their drive! Their music is fun, they make me always feel like dancing and I'm on my feet at once when they are on air! I love the energetic guitars, the powerful bass slides and the lively jittering of the keyboards in the background! It was always amusing reading of Pete Townsend when he again have smashed his guitar on stage! The Who represent a complete different kind of style compared to Led Zeppelin (.... and Queen :D .......). The Who are a sort of chaos babes, their spirit is a kind of juvenile uproar in a very sophisticated England - just think on Tommy, The Kids Are Alright or simply the Brighton Burn Up-Inferno Quadrophenia. They were and are very critical and their music somehow "advanced" further on the timeline.

Their lyrics talk about "My Generation", about the "Kids Are (Al)right" and about "Teenage Wasteland". Their themes discribe the deep gap between the older and younger generation which grew very wide in the seventies. Who-sound is a growling of this timewarp - it is street sound (which was later progressed from bands like The Clash) and the Who are one of the first announcing it.

They were wild childs in their early time - maybe the first soft breeze of the punkrock aera ever.

So - We won't get fooled again!!!!!!

PS:

At the moment I'm listenig to FAUN, an energetic mediaval band from Munich, Germany. They are also my friends and part of my "artists in stock" - I booked them this autumn for an event I organized here in an ancient churchyard. They are very famous in the mediaval scene and had recently an improvisation concert in Munich together with the UK-band SIEBEN and IN GOWAN RING from the USA (..... and I had a ticket and was INSIDE.... :-)

The song I'm listening at the moment is named "Serena" from the album "Renaissance". For more infos I'm happy to recommend their website http://www.faune.de where an English version is also provided!

Merin sa halyalye alasse!

Tinkerbell

-------------------------

The wind is rustling in the forests ............ much more far outside....

Heya, I am indeed a great Who-Fan! Maybe they are not really shooting stars in writing lyrics but they are just amazing in their drive!

Granted this is personal opinion, but if there is a better lyricist than Pete Townshend I haven't found him.

Their music is fun, they make me always feel like dancing and I'm on my feet at once when they are on air! I love the energetic guitars, the powerful bass slides and the lively jittering of the keyboards in the background!

On that we can agree B)

Archived