Queen (Under Rated?)

Oh, I'm not exactly trying to praise the performance either. I think it was just a case of Roger being backstage and they asked him to do it, and he did. You can tell he must have spent a lot of time listening to the song though :D .

I'm In Love With My Car is great! How he can put so much effort into singing and still play the drums is beyond me. That song really suits his voice.

I love singing along to that song too!

Oooh

The machine of a dream, such a clean machine

With the pistons a pumpin', and the hubcaps all gleam

When I'm holding your wheel

All I hear is your gear

With my hand on your grease gun

Mmm it's like a disease son

I'm in love with my car, gotta feel for my automobile

Get a grip on my boy racer rollbar

Such a thrill when your radials squeal

Told my girl I'll have to forget her

Rather buy me a new carburettor

So she made tracks saying this is the end now

Cars don't talk back they're just four wheeled friends now

When I'm holding your wheel

All I hear is your gear

When I'm cruisin' in overdrive

Don't have to listen to no run of the mill talk jive

I'm in love with my car (love with my car), gotta feel for my automobile

I'm in love with my car (love with my car), string back gloves in my automolove

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A great band. They are very, very popular here in Brazil. I saw them live back in 1981 and 1985. Amazing concerts. Freddie Mercury was the best frontman ever (sorry, Robert)

Where in brazil was the show ?? the 81 gig was the time of Hot Space album, I really liked that although I know a few who didn't !!

I found some more of my memorabilia of when I saw them at Freds last gig 1996!!

queen3.jpg

meatkneb86th.jpg

The weather for this years Knebworth was great; unlike 85's mud bath. When I woke in the camp site on the morning of the gig, I was greeted with a big biker bloke having a pee on someones tent (lovely !!).

They had to let people in from about 9am to the arena, we made our way down to near the front where a big tree was (just right of the mixing desk) surrounded by board to protect it and the Lights that were erected. It was a good place as you had somewhere to lean against when sitting down(had to look after that spot as it was sought after).

Quo were good value and got the crowd going. I think they were playing another gig that night in Europe. I remember the singer of Big Country taking a pic of us lot for his scrapbook. They are not a band that I like much and I am afraid seeing them live did not change my mind.

Queen were professional and slick, great songs(every one a classic) and Freddie was just as Freddie is, a total showman from beginning to end. They came on playing "One Vision" which was a great opener.

The crowd was huge(120,000 plus). I remember thinking how wonderful the whole crowd looked as it went dark and they shone the light over us. It still sends shivers down your spine.

When Queen came on I remember being asked to pass a message on up to the Guys on the lighting rig to radio for help as someone had been stabbed just a few metres away from us. I remember the ambulance having to slowly wade its way through the crowd at snails pace).

Edited by leddy
Yea I know this isn't about LZ directly .............. in my personal opinion, I'd rank Queen as seconds best (if its at all possible to try to rank), but they are at least my second favorite. But when mentioningb bands right there along with LZ, only one other person metioned Queen, but many mentioned The Beatles, The Who, The Stones, Nirvana, etc...So this beggs the question to me at least, is Queen underrated? I'll tell you why I'm so high up on them..

Alot of people say The Who, and i really like them myself. But in all fairness, how many Who songs to most people really know? Also compare lyrical content...Queen is the only band in the songwriters hall of fame for a reason, i wouldnt know how to stright up compare quality of lyrics..you'd have to extensivly listen to both, and certainly no knock on the Who, i just thing Queen is something totally else. But i'll let the rest of the discussion go one with you guys...what do you think?

Hi again Zoso88!

You are on Queen again .... ;-) Yeah, you know my personal opinion and so I'm glad that the two of us now found their KFC finally!

Heya, I am indeed a great Who-Fan! Maybe they are not really shooting stars in writing lyrics but they are just amazing in their drive! Their music is fun, they make me always feel like dancing and I'm on my feet at once when they are on air! I love the energetic guitars, the powerful bass slides and the lively jittering of the keyboards in the background! It was always amusing reading of Pete Townsend when he again have smashed his guitar on stage! The Who represent a complete different kind of style compared to Led Zeppelin (.... and Queen :D .......). The Who are a sort of chaos babes, their spirit is a kind of juvenile uproar in a very sophisticated England - just think on Tommy, The Kids Are Alright or simply the Brighton Burn Up-Inferno Quadrophenia. They were and are very critical and their music somehow "advanced" further on the timeline.

Their lyrics talk about "My Generation", about the "Kids Are (Al)right" and about "Teenage Wasteland". Their themes discribe the deep gap between the older and younger generation which grew very wide in the seventies. Who-sound is a growling of this timewarp - it is street sound (which was later progressed from bands like The Clash) and the Who are one of the first announcing it.

They were wild childs in their early time - maybe the first soft breeze of the punkrock aera ever.

So - We won't get fooled again!!!!!!

PS:

At the moment I'm listenig to FAUN, an energetic mediaval band from Munich, Germany. They are also my friends and part of my "artists in stock" - I booked them this autumn for an event I organized here in an ancient churchyard. They are very famous in the mediaval scene and had recently an improvisation concert in Munich together with the UK-band SIEBEN and IN GOWAN RING from the USA (..... and I had a ticket and was INSIDE.... :-)

The song I'm listening at the moment is named "Serena" from the album "Renaissance". For more infos I'm happy to recommend their website http://www.faune.de where an English version is also provided!

Merin sa halyalye alasse!

Tinkerbell

-------------------------

The wind is rustling in the forests ............ much more far outside....

Heya, I am indeed a great Who-Fan! Maybe they are not really shooting stars in writing lyrics but they are just amazing in their drive!

Granted this is personal opinion, but if there is a better lyricist than Pete Townshend I haven't found him.

Their music is fun, they make me always feel like dancing and I'm on my feet at once when they are on air! I love the energetic guitars, the powerful bass slides and the lively jittering of the keyboards in the background!

On that we can agree B)

Allow me to clear up a few things...

1: Queen being a comedic band?

They were not funny, and usually took themselves seriously 99% of the time, knowing when to throw in a little fun of course. Things like singing "Fried Chicken" in their song One Vision are the very rare times they strayed from being serious.

Listen to songs like "Who Wants to Live Forever" or better yet "The Show Must Go On", here you have a guy in Mercury singing about his own mortality very close to right before he passed, yet he's singing his heart out! I dare people to find music of a more serious and less comedic tone. They were brilliant musicians, great song writers (being the ONLY band in the Song Writers HOF for a reason), 4 individually talented people, dynamic showman, especially mercury, and the only other band I know who played venues as large as the mighty Zeppelin.

2: Popularity Confusion

Yes I do believe they were under appreciated in the States, but as stated before they did stop touring here early. Buy what i hate is people's misinterpretation of popularity. I heard someone say that the spice girls are more known then pink floyd? No they are not, not even close. Spice Girls are a great example of a fad, sell many records (although not in comparison to floyd/zeppelin level) and get forgotten. I've heard someone say Hanna Montana is popular, so i guess she's great? Being sarcastic because I often believe popularity and musical brilliance go hand in hand. Listen people, Hanna could not sell out 140,000 to save her life, we are talking different degrees of popularity. The level i speak of is beyond these spice girls, hana montana, etc...its something totally different.

And some have proven my point about Queen being underrated. And to a degree...yes they are underrated cause they are not ranked with the Stones and Who. No offense to those two band who i like alot. Queen (overall) was simply better. And the proof is in the music. Dont tell me that i have not listened to enough of the who for instance because i have and i like them alot as well. Queen's sold about 200 million to Who's 40 million but that doesn't make them better. Music overall does.

I hope people dont think i like bashing the who cause nothing could be further from the truth! Just in comparrison to these two bands, Zeppelin and Queen that knocks them down a few notches.

I hope people dont think i like bashing the who cause nothing could be further from the truth! Just in comparrison to these two bands, Zeppelin and Queen that knocks them down a few notches.

I think in light of the "Led Zeppelin, just a cut above the rest!" thread, it's clear you just prefer Led Zeppelin (and in this case Queen) over the Who, and are not bashing them.

Granted this is personal opinion, but if there is a better lyricist than Pete Townshend I haven't found him.

I didn't want to say that Townsend was a poor songwriter. His words are not as elaborated as e.g. Jimmy Morrison worked out his messages - but both cases were a necessity and have their own style. Pete Townsend is awesome in saying much more with less effort - The Who were streetfighters in the 70s (....and I'm fond of reading between the lines). This is my personal opinion, of course.

And I also love Jimmy's lyrics ..... And before I fall into the big sleep I wanna hear the scream of the butterfly..... . (I miss you, Jimmy...)

PS: Sometimes it is not too easy describing opinions in English, especially in questions about music which always are connected with deep emotions. Sorry for that. B)

I think in light of the "Led Zeppelin, just a cut above the rest!" thread, it's clear you just prefer Led Zeppelin (and in this case Queen) over the Who, and are not bashing them.

Thank you...and i'll stray out of character for a moment and say Go Who!!!

I didn't want to say that Townsend was a poor songwriter. His words are not as elaborated as e.g. Jimmy Morrison worked out his messages

Morrison's lyrics are hit or miss, but that's besides the point.

Townshend is one of the best writers in all of rock music not just in the music department, but in the lyrics department. No one is better at explaining a feeling, opinion, or thought than Townshend. His words are well thought out and brilliant.

I didn't want to say that Townsend was a poor songwriter. His words are not as elaborated as e.g. Jimmy Morrison worked out his messages - but both cases were a necessity and have their own style. Pete Townsend is awesome in saying much more with less effort - The Who were streetfighters in the 70s (....and I'm fond of reading between the lines). This is my personal opinion, of course.

And I also love Jimmy's lyrics ..... And before I fall into the big sleep I wanna hear the scream of the butterfly..... . (I miss you, Jimmy...)

PS: Sometimes it is not too easy describing opinions in English, especially in questions about music which always are connected with deep emotions. Sorry for that. B)

No offence, but I'm not even sure that Jim Morrison actually wrote half the songs he has been credited with. He was good and all, but in my opinion he wasn't half the poet people hailed him to be.

queen were a great singles band, there albums suck though, all apart from 'a night the the opera' which is very good.

Have you heard News Of The World, that's one fine album. There were others too, but you're right, nothing really came close to A Night At The Opera.

Wasn't everyone camp in the '70s? I don't want to sound mean, but how can you be embarrassed wearing a Queen t-shirt when you have a signature as 'camp' as that?

Edited by GibsonGirl
Have you heard News Of The World, that's one fine album. There were others too, but you're right, nothing really came close to A Night At The Opera.

Wasn't everyone camp in the '70s? I don't want to sound mean, but how can you be embarrassed wearing a Queen t-shirt when you have a signature as 'camp' as that?

that's american psycho, very un-camp, 2 seconds later that guy on the chair get's beaten to death with an axe lol..

but as far as albums go, i tried 'news of the world' it did nothing for me, strangely enough though 'queen live at wembly' which i think has stuff from 'news of the world' is one of my favourite live albums/dvd's..a very good live band, and freddie is the greatest front man ever

Edited by jpj4eva-jb-rip
that's american psycho, very un-camp, 2 seconds later that guy on the chair get's beaten to death with an axe lol..

:o Ok, sorry :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: That's just not what it looked like. Forgive me for my ignorance (or rather innocence)

I see exactly where you're coming from with the album and singles thing. Led Zep are a kind of band you would to have all the albums of. Queen are a band that's Greatest Hits would prove to much more satisfying. I have a few of the albums though.

queen were a great singles band, there albums suck though, all apart from 'a night the the opera' which is very good.

Also yeah, they were quite campy, which makes me want to never go around with a queen t-shirt or even tell anyone i like them.

There's a lot of gold in them there albums if you take your time to look... Also, I don't think anyone should be scared of being emasculated for liking Queen... I mean, FFS.. <_<

:o Ok, sorry :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: That's just not what it looked like. Forgive me for my ignorance (or rather innocence)

I see exactly where you're coming from with the album and singles thing. Led Zep are a kind of band you would to have all the albums of. Queen are a band that's Greatest Hits would prove to much more satisfying. I have a few of the albums though.

I totally disagree with the Greatest Hits comment... Have you got Sheer Heart Attack? What an album that is!

Brighton Rock, Killer Queen, Flick Of The Wrist, Now I'm Here, Stone Cold Crazy, In The Lap Of The Gods...Revisited... All classic Queen songs on one album!

Personally, I think that Queen I, Sheer Heart Attack, A Night At The Opera, News Of The World, Jazz & The Game are all essential classic rock albums for any collection... B)

(Of course, I'm incredibly bias..)

No offence, but I'm not even sure that Jim Morrison actually wrote half the songs he has been credited with. He was good and all, but in my opinion he wasn't half the poet people hailed him to be.

Yeah, who knows ...... But I like the work of the Doors anyway and so it does not really bother me much who wrote the songs actually.......

• 1 year later...

Also yeah, they were quite campy, which makes me want to never go around with a queen t-shirt or even tell anyone i like them.

Apparently you haven't listened to many Queen albums. Most (maybe all?) of their albums up through the early 80s were awesome. I will admit their 80s stuff didn't do much for me, but apparently millions of people all over the world disagree with me on that. Oh, and Innuendo was a masterpiece.

Part of their appeal is in the "horrible" stuff, like "Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon." I f*ckin' love that song! :rolleyes:

I totally agree. That song kicks a**. I remember listening to the Queen albums for the first time, I didn't know what to expect for the next song coming up. It was always a pleseant surprise. Their songs were really diverse. They sort of remind me of another band in that regard.... I can't quit remember their names.... hmmmmm ......:rolleyes:

Edited by timothy5151

I don't think Queen is underrated. They're pretty legendary actually for millions of people all over the world.

My personal opinion is they're overrated, but music is a personal thing. I guess for myself and my own tastes, whenever I want to play something from the "classic rock era"..........Queen hardly ever gets a thought.

Sorry.