Queen (Under Rated?)

ZoSo88

I think Queen has the correct amount of praise and recognition. They deserve every bit of it. To me, they are one of my favorite bands of all time. Maybe second to Zeppelin. Freddie's voice may be one we never hear again. Maybe unmatched as well. I enjoy their music and that's all that matters to me. I loved their work a lot up until 1882's "Hot Space." After that, it's not great (still good IMO) but I still like it. Sometimes, over-analyzing the music kills it. I just enjoy them and that's what matters. I have always thought they were very talented and polished musicians too, though.

Some of the best music in my life has come from them. I will always hold my personal opinion that they are an awesome, talented, fun, and exciting group. Their longevity speaks for itself. I wish Freddie was still around.

My favorite album from them is "The Game." A lot of great songs on it and a really varied selection too. In my opinion at least.

• 2 months later...

From Uncut.com:

queen110311_W.jpg

The last five albums from rock giants Queen, will be reissued on September 5, the date that would have been late singer Freddie Mercury's 65th birthday.

Island Records will be re-releasing 1984’s 'The Works', 1986's 'A Kind Of Magic', 1989’s 'The Miracle' and 1991's 'Innuendo' as well as the band’s final album, 'Made In Heaven'. The latter album was released in 1995 following Mercury's death in 1991.

The releases come as part of the continuing celebrations of Queen's 40th anniversary, and the reissues will be accompanied by the third in the 'Queen: Deep Cuts' compilation series, showcasing the albums' lesser known material.

Each of the reissued albums went platinum in the UK and 'A Kind of Magic' and 'Made in Heaven' sold over one million copies. The band’s first ten albums were reissued earlier in the year.

Earlier this month, Queen drummer Roger Taylor announced his plans to rerelease his 1994 track, 'Dear Mr Murdoch', as a stand against the media tycoon.

The band's guitarist, Brian May also made the headlines recently, after he launched an attack on a golf club when one of its members clubbed a tame fox and left it for dead.

Animal rights campaigner May joined the protest against against the Peterculter Golf Club in Aberdeen. He called the actions of member Donald Forbes a "senseless piece of brutality".

Forbes, an oil boss, attacked the animal after it stole his Tunnock's caramel wafer biscuit.

• 5 months later...

AHH Queen...my third favorite band of all time! I read all the posts and I'm amazed at some of the opinions on the band. I'd say my sentiments echo Evsters almost to a "T". Those talking about "campy" shows, "filler" songs on albums and "comedic" band really are missing out on what Queen were all about!

In the early 70's, the show was the thing. Look at the Stones (inflatable penis anyone?), Genesis - with Peter Gabriel (complete stage show), David Bowie and Pink Floyd (you name it, they had it). Queen was described as a "glam" band back in the early days and embraced the costumes and make-up stage show that got your attention. I'd prefer paying to see that than the 90's jeans/flannel shirt standing on stage any day!

Their musicianship is unrivaled! Brian could play almost any stringed instrument as well as piano (as a matter of fact he WAS their piano player until he heard Freddie play). Freddie could play piano and guitar. Roger played guitar and drums...probably piano as well! John (much like our beloved John Paul Jones) was the quiet one that played an incredible bass and keyboards (when they got into them)! And Freddie's vocals? One of, if not THE greatest vocalist of our time! And the best front man of rock and roll. Robert collaborated with Allison, but Freddie collaborated with Montserrat Caballé - who really stretched the limits of their talents there? Three of their members were talented enough to sing the lead on songs!

Their songs? Try playing them! I've yet to learn an entire Queen song note for note - although i can play many Zep tunes. Complicated, over -dubbing guitars and vocals. Harmonies that could not be beat! And variety! Not the Beatles...not Zep...can match the variety of musical styles and influences Queen put on tape! Listen to any of the 70's stuff (and "A Kind of Magic" and "Innuendo"). Genius song writing and lyrics. What other band could come out with a second album that is basically a soundtrack for an unwriiten play/movie?

Of course Queen was influenced by Zep...and the Beatles as well. But they took those influences and made music that was uniquely their own! And unlike others on here, I can absolutely play their albums from beginning to end just like I can with Zep. I'll admit, the early 80's stuff is really lacking (even Brian May said "Hot Space was a mistake") , but even these contain gems in between the "hit" songs!

Filler? You have to be kidding? Tell me "Hats off to Roy Harper", Bron-Y Aur" and most of the tunes on "Coda" aren't filler? Doesn't mean they aren't good though - I love them! Each member of Queen wrote their material - each had a Top 10 hit!! Incredible song writers! But if you REALLY want to hear what Queen was about, don't listen to the dolt that suggested getting their "Greatest Hits" album! What a joke! Much like The Who or Led Zeppelin, Queen's best musical output was NOT "the hits".

Great King Rat, White Queen, Tenament Funster, The Prophet's Song, You Take my Breath Away, Sheer Heart Attack (amazingly like Zep's "Houses of the Holy" a brilliant song that didn't make it on the album of the same name!), Dead on Time, Who Wants to Live Forever, Save Me, Put out the Fire, Hammer to Fall, Scandal, These are the Days of Our Lives. One song that is incredible from each of their albums - and there are many more on each, I assure you! All incredible songs that never made the airwaves - never seen on a greatest hits album!

I was blessed enough to have seen them twice - and they still rank as the No.2 and 3 best concerts I've been to out of 84 (number 1 was Zep at the O2).

In my opinion, under rated in the States, their first 5 albums SORELY under rated, but I believe they rate in most polls as a Top 20 band of all times - and deservedly so!

(The opinions expressed in this post are soley the views of the author and they are just that MY opinion! Thank you!)

• 2 weeks later...

Wow..a guitarist thinks Brian May's playing is over-rated? Of course everyone is entitled to his/her opinion, but I find May's chord progressions and solos MUCH more difficult to master than Page's pentatonic scales. And that's leaving out all the production and effects that Brian used in the studio on their albums.

This is why the "overrated/underrated" discussions have always baffled me. I guess it all depends on who's doing the rating.

I wouldn't normally enter a discusion about Queen because, I'm not a fan but yeah, your right, it's all just a matter of personal opinion

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived