ELP Thread

xmas

I am kinda new here,seen all the threads for different bands.Didnt see one for ELP .anyone want to discuss? I know some people hate them but I always liked them.

favorite album -Brain Salad Surgery

most underrated album -Tarkus.

In my opinion ELP did the best job of mixing cassical elements with rock.

I am kinda new here,seen all the threads for different bands.Didnt see one for ELP .anyone want to discuss? I know some people hate them but I always liked them.

favorite album -Brain Salad Surgery

most underrated album -Tarkus.

In my opinion ELP did the best job of mixing cassical elements with rock.

They were a good band. Carl Palmer was amazing live. Only got to see them once. "From The Beginning" still get's played in this house

ELP is my 2nd favorite band behind Zeppelin. I've seen them several times. The last time was at Radio City Music Hall back in '94 (Black Moon tour). They put on one of the best live shows. Carl Palmer is, by far, the best drummer on the planet (IMO). Greg Lake is an excellent singer/guitarist/bassist. Keith Emerson is dynamic. The guy knows how to put on a show. I've also seen each member with different bands. I saw Greg Lake's solo tour back in 1982 with Gary Moore on guitar. That show was at the Palladium in NYC. I Carl Palmer with Asia several times during their heyday in the early 80's. One of the best shows I saw was in a little club in Ft. Lauderdale. It was the band "3" with Keith, Carl and Robert Berry. Excellent show. The small venue made it that much better.

Simply put, ELP was the first concert I ever attended in August 1972. It was at Convention Hall in Asbury Park, NJ. I saw them at Madison Square Garden in 1974 with Stray Dog as the openers. By 1976 I lost interest and got rid of all their LP's. About ten years ago they toured with Jethro Tull as the opening act. I really enjoyed hearing Knife's Edge. Couple years ago I re-bought Tarkus. It's a fun listen, but that's about it for me.

I saw ELP in 1973 in Dallas on their Brain Salad Surgery Tour. It was a Quad concert ( BIG speakers in front, and in the back of the auditorium).

I recommend their Live CD "Welcome Back My Friends" to anyone curious about what all the talk is about ELP.

ELP_Welcome_Back_My_Friends.jpg

I got my UK copy new from Half-Bay for a Good Price.

• 1 month later...

I saw them on their last tour (1998) and they were excellent.I listen to some of their albums and bootlegs for over 20 years.For all these years i am looking for another band that plays such music and the only one that comes close is NIACIN with Billy Sheehan on bass.Anyone knows this band folks ?

personally, i dont care for them...

my prog loyalty lies with King Crimson and it doesnt help that ELP robbed crimson of Greg Lake!!! :angry:

I love "From the Beginning" and "The Barbarian" is ok... but that's about it...

on an semi-releated note... the opening in "From the Beginning" sounds like the opening from "Roundabout"

my prog loyalty lies with King Crimson and it doesnt help that ELP robbed crimson of Greg Lake!!! :angry:

on an semi-releated note... the opening in "From the Beginning" sounds like the opening from "Roundabout"

Well the harmonics type part in fret 12 is about the same. As I play both on guitar. But the true musical great behind ELP is Keith Emerson. He is the best keyboard player in rock and roll history in my opinion. Others that deserve mention Elton John, Billy Joel, Lord, Wakeman, Preston, JPJ, and I dont know their names but the guys from Styx, Manfred Mann, and Allman Bros, Kansas, and sorry but I know Ive missed some other important ones.

The same way that Crimson "robbed" Yes of Bruford?.

The same way that Crimson "robbed" Yes of Bruford?.

:blush:

well... more like Crimson lost Greg Lake and Yes lost Bruford to the respective bands they went to...

its more along the lines that King Crimson was the best band that could have been... the first two and best two albums (In the court of the crimson king and in the wake of poseidon) were with the origanl line-up with Greg lake...

Fripp made that crimson, no question... but that line-up with Fripp, Lake, McDonald and Glies (not counting Sinclair) was absolutly amazing...a nd it was sad thay couldnt go on to do so much more

I saw ELP in 1973 in Dallas on their Brain Salad Surgery Tour. It was a Quad concert ( BIG speakers in front, and in the back of the auditorium).

I recommend their Live CD "Welcome Back My Friends" to anyone curious about what all the talk is about ELP.

ELP_Welcome_Back_My_Friends.jpg

I got my UK copy new from Half-Bay for a Good Price.

What he said, I thought it must have been overdubbed to hell until I got some of the bootleg series and realised they really were that good live.

I tried out ELP a few years ago but I just couldn't get into them, although I love Lucky Man. I'm into Prog but, at the time, ELP didn't push my buttons. However, this thread has inspired me to have another go. So, what's the album I should go for, for the second chance? Brain Salad Surgery seems to be getting a lot of nods in this thread...

My first concert in 1972. I was going with two friends. One friend (the driver) didn't like the other and bailed out. My father drove me and the other friend down the shore to see a 10 pm ELP show. My sister came for the ride and hung out with dad during the show. It was Asbury Park so there was plenty to do.

I'm sorry about these scans, tinypic is very slow and I tried something diff. I'l get it fixed.

103g5lv.jpg

Edited by JethroTull

Miss Honeydripper

If you buy a compilation (there are lots) make sure it has Fanfare for the common man (full version) and Pirates, because it sure as hell is not worth buying Works for anaything else.

Otherwise Brain Salad Surgery, Tarkus or Trilogy..............in that order.

The live one would be a good place to start as it contains all of Tarkus and Karn Evil 9 and some serious wigging out in Aquatarkus.

ELP live

Edited by Northern Monkey