ELP Thread

xmas

I know I'm threadshitting at this point, but another board had this...totally cosmic timing:

straight dope bbs

The scene: a top recording studio in London in the early 80's. My buddy is getting one of his first big engineering assignments - Asia's second album. His job? Setting up and doing the engineering prep for the legendary Carl Palmer, drummer for ELP, Asia, etc.

My friend showed up for work hours early and used all of that time tuning Carl's kit, placing mic's, checking all the effects associated with each mic - you name it. And since Carl has a kit the size of, well, a huge freakin' drum kit, my friend had to crawl underneath a few rack toms to get in and out, so this was a physical, hectic, stressful situation for our first-time engineer. But it was worth it because he was doing it for the legendary Carl Palmer.

After all this, the Producer (my buddy's boss on the project) comes in, sees all the excruciating work my friend has done on this, his first job, and kind of snickers to himself, but at the time my buddy doesn't put 2 + 2 together. They both remain up in the control booth, finalizing settings for that day's recording. Later, the legendary Carl Palmer comes in, blithely gets behind the kit (not sure how he did it blithely, but my friend assures me he looked smooth), picks up the sticks and....proceeds to rip off a drum fill that sounds like a cat falling into a stack of cookware. My friend looks up at his Producer, who says something along the lines of "well, that pretty much shatters your fantasies, don'it?"

Apparently it was common knowledge that Carl couldn't keep proper time and was all about the fills -- which couldn't sound great if you can't keep time!- nice time to tell my friend! Weeks later in the session, my buddy was playing the kit to check a mic set-up he had changed and Geoff Downes and Steve Howe both came in and tried offer my buddy the job playing drums since they found Palmer's timekeeping so bad. I doubt they were serious, but it was a way to get under the legendary Carl Palmer's skin - and there was so much infighting that they couldn't pass up the chance...

I'm primarily a Keith Emerson fan ... which of course ends up including ELP and the Nice.

I've actually got a young .... desperately in need of members .... especially members who will talk to one another .... forum, based around Keith, which ELP pages in need of talk ...

You'll find me at Tarkus forum

Please come and join and talk all things ELP ... I need talkative people!!!! :)

I'm married to a prog rocking keyboard player ... so my listening tends to swing between my first love .... Jimmy Page (hence you find me on this board) and my second love Keith Emerson, who doesn't seem to have anything by way of forums, so I started one!

Fave ELP album - I'd probably go Tarkus.

Hope to see some of you at Tarkus ...

Edited by Imagescapegirl

• 2 weeks later...

"I know I'm threadshitting at this point, but another board had this...totally cosmic timing:

straight dope bbs

QUOTE (WordMan)

The scene: a top recording studio in London in the early 80's. My buddy is getting one of his first big engineering assignments - Asia's second album. His job? Setting up and doing the engineering prep for the legendary Carl Palmer, drummer for ELP, Asia, etc.

My friend showed up for work hours early and used all of that time tuning Carl's kit, placing mic's, checking all the effects associated with each mic - you name it. And since Carl has a kit the size of, well, a huge freakin' drum kit, my friend had to crawl underneath a few rack toms to get in and out, so this was a physical, hectic, stressful situation for our first-time engineer. But it was worth it because he was doing it for the legendary Carl Palmer.

After all this, the Producer (my buddy's boss on the project) comes in, sees all the excruciating work my friend has done on this, his first job, and kind of snickers to himself, but at the time my buddy doesn't put 2 + 2 together. They both remain up in the control booth, finalizing settings for that day's recording. Later, the legendary Carl Palmer comes in, blithely gets behind the kit (not sure how he did it blithely, but my friend assures me he looked smooth), picks up the sticks and....proceeds to rip off a drum fill that sounds like a cat falling into a stack of cookware. My friend looks up at his Producer, who says something along the lines of "well, that pretty much shatters your fantasies, don'it?"

Apparently it was common knowledge that Carl couldn't keep proper time and was all about the fills -- which couldn't sound great if you can't keep time!- nice time to tell my friend! Weeks later in the session, my buddy was playing the kit to check a mic set-up he had changed and Geoff Downes and Steve Howe both came in and tried offer my buddy the job playing drums since they found Palmer's timekeeping so bad. I doubt they were serious, but it was a way to get under the legendary Carl Palmer's skin - and there was so much infighting that they couldn't pass up the chance..."

Sorry...having seen Palmer numerous times over the years, I'm calling absolute bullsh!t on this fairy tale, lol.

;^)

Growing up I heard mostly classical music in my parents' house. I liked it, and when I got into rock music at the age of 10, I was still often listening to classical music. I've never seen a reason to stop doing that, and still love both classical music and different varieties of popular music. So I guess prog was an obvious thing for me to get into, and I did, very early. Gabriel and early Collins-era Genesis was and remains my fave prog band, with Gentle Giant not too far behind. Focus was another band I used to like a lot, but when I listen to them now their legacy seems not as fertile as I used to think.

As for ELP, I used to listen to them quite a bit as a kid, until I was about 17 or 18. Never got all their albums, but did have Tarkus, Pictures at an Exhibition, Brain Salad Surgery, Welcome Back My Friends, Works I and Works II. Eventually I thought it was just too much pomp, meaning that given how immensely talented players they all were (and are), I thought by comparison their music lacked a more genuine sense of purpose, and their mode of expression just seemed too focused on sheer technicality of playing. That more or less is how I still see them.

To me Brain Salad Surgery is their finest moment. I think Mussorgsky's piece just sounds better when played by an orchestra, or on two pianos. But the cover of Ginastera's Toccata was a much better idea, and it still sounds great. They included a good live version of that on Welcome Back My Friends, too. Emerson's virtuosity just comes into its own there - everything falls into place. B)

Hey! Don't be afraid, ELP will survive their generation! I'm 15 and I know other students who are fans!

I used to dance in the living room when I heard pirates together with my dad when I was really small... :chickeddance:

I admire Emerson. he is a genius and he made the keyboard an erotic instrument for me. To see them perform on my DvD is magic.

No one mentioned Karn Evil 9 yet. This one is good!

• 2 months later...
Trilogy was a great and underated album by them.

Underrated? You sure? I love Trilogy. It's my second favorite ELP album after Brain Salad Surgery (can't get enough of Karn Evil 9).

I never heard that Trilogy was underrated...

Brain Salad Surgery is an all time classic rock album and should be heard by all rock fans, it's the peak of ELP's career. Too bad the band was so anti-bootlegging, there's prescious little live stuff available from their finest years (72-74).

• 1 year later...

Emerson Lake And Palmer will headline the High Voltage Festival,

the UK’s new flagship classic rock event, on Sunday, July 25, 2010.

The launch of the High Voltage Festival was announced by Classic

Rock’s Editor In Chief, Scott Rowley, at the Classic Rock Roll Of

Honour at London’s Park Lane Hotel this past Monday (November 2).

The High Voltage Festival is a joint venture between Classic Rock

magazine and The Mean Fiddler organisation.

Forty years after ELP opened the legendary Isle Of Wight Festival,

what better band to celebrate what will surely become Britain’s

biggest and best ‘adult rock’ festival?

According to ELP, fans can expect “cannons, pyrotechnics and a

supreme production alongside the stunning musicianship and songs

that made ELP the legends they truly are”.

I was really into ELP as a teenager and had Brain Salad Surgury on 8 track. Got to see them at CAL Jam 1 in 1974.

They were the last act of the day and I was shocked and amazed when Emerson and his piano elevated and started twirling around on stage. Hearing Karn Evil 9 brings back those happy memories for me.

• 10 years later...
  • 5 months later...
On 8/26/2008 at 10:00 AM, chef free said:

Brain Salad Surgery is an all time classic rock album and should be heard by all rock fans, it's the peak of ELP's career. Too bad the band was so anti-bootlegging, there's prescious little live stuff available from their finest years (72-74).

I admit as much as I love Prog I'd more or less written ELP as a bunch of self indulgent instrumental wankery for decades until I decided to do the work on Freezer's March 1 1974 Baton Rouge recording (cleaning up the sound, patching together two different versions of his recording to get the complete show- I put it up at Trader's Den as part of my "Freezer Flood" there in June) and actually listened to the thing. Those three lunatics could fuckin' play, that's for sure, probably overplay, even, with good and bad results. "Tarkus" is a fucking brilliant piece, probably my favourite of theirs. All respect to the departed Greg Lake, though, I have no use for his wide eyed balladeering...Keith Emerson, though, was a stoned goddamn genius. Palmer comes across like a less precise Neil Peart sometimes. I like 'em, just keep 'em off of Love Beach...😅

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...