The honeydrippers

catkind

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...
On 2/10/2008 at 7:45 PM, SteveAJones said:

Robert Plant and The Honeydrippers, so far as I know, never performed in NYC. Their August 5th 1985 Madison Square Garden concert was cancelled.

How certain are you about where you saw them?

I was there. Robert Plant performed with the Honeydrippers at the Hard Rock Cafe in nyc the night before they were on Saturday night live. My local radio station mentioned they would be there (Philadelphia) and my best friend and I went. It was a free show. The above poster is 100%! Great show!

On 4/14/2021 at 5:49 PM, Tangerine1978 said:

I was there. Robert Plant performed with the Honeydrippers at the Hard Rock Cafe in nyc the night before they were on Saturday night live. My local radio station mentioned they would be there (Philadelphia) and my best friend and I went. It was a free show. The above poster is 100%! Great show!

I acknowledge your input, which is also your first post, with a huge grain of salt. Hopefully a photo, recording or some other irrefutable proof will surface. 

Edited by SteveAJones

I am perplexed. Saturday Night Live Brian Setzer played guitar, but Robbie Blunt was nowhere to be found. So who actually besides Plant

was in this "Honeydrippers"? I know on Plant's tour there was a "Honeydrippers" set, with his band mates partially at least. But the two shows mentioned, wasn't that kind of "house band" stuff ?

On 4/16/2021 at 4:28 PM, Mithril46 said:

I am perplexed. Saturday Night Live Brian Setzer played guitar, but Robbie Blunt was nowhere to be found. So who actually besides Plant

was in this "Honeydrippers"? I know on Plant's tour there was a "Honeydrippers" set, with his band mates partially at least. But the two shows mentioned, wasn't that kind of "house band" stuff ?

Pretty sure the SNL appearance was just Plant + Setzer + the SNL band + the Harlem Youth Choir. Maybe they went to a bar the night before to rehearse?

15 hours ago, Mr. Snrub said:

Pretty sure the SNL appearance was just Plant + Setzer + the SNL band + the Harlem Youth Choir. Maybe they went to a bar the night before to rehearse?

Pretty much. The person claiming to have seen Robert perform at the Hard Rock Cafe in NYC was a loyal, credible follower of his so I can't dismiss their recollection entirely. That said, one would think a photo or news item would have surfaced by now. I've double-checked my notes for this time frame and all I show is that Robert and Brian Setzer did sign autographs for fans at their hotel the same day as their SNL performance. It could be they went to the Hard Rock that night, or the night before. It seems we may never know for certain, but come to think of it I can ask Brian Setzer if he remembers.

Rockin' At Midnight (Audio) - New York City 1984 - YouTube 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
10 hours ago, zeppcollect said:

Hi and 1000 thanks for the great Honeydrippers shows - had been looking for them for decades, since I lost my audio-cassettes!

You bet zeppcollect! They are not my recordings though, they were just recently uploaded to YouTube by username Phred Zeppelin.

• 2 weeks later...