FAVORITE HISTORICAL EVENT

No Soul Man

Hi all,

You guys had so many great suggestions. I will let you know next week what my final decision is. I have another month before the paper is due.

They are.

Please let us know and I'd like to read it,.....if you don't mind(?)

KB( get an A+ or how ever the #$^!!! they grade it! :D )

I breezed thru the thread and I didn't see it mentioned, if it was forgive me but my historical event would be the fall of the Berlin wall and the end of the cold war.

Seems like it has sparked more events in a shorter period of time than any in recent memory.

Good Luck :thumbsup:

Well, historically speaking, guess on what side of the political spectrum (a word forgotten by historians too ;)) were all the sh*th*ads who started wars on????? YOU BE THE JUDGE!! :) :)

The Nazis and Italians in World War II were leftists, no matter what you may think. They started the greatest war the world has ever seen. Lenin was leftist and look at what he did to Russia. Mao was leftist and 100 million people died under his regime. Stalin was leftist, he destroyed Russia further. Castro was/is leftist, same with Kim Jong Il. So was Truong Nhu Tang and Ho Chi Minh of North Vietnam. How many wars did these men start altogether, and notice that they were all leftist.

And thats only in the last hundred years. You don't think each side has equal skeletons? Guess again

edited: I had to post Ho Chi Minh on the list because I forgot to add him when I was looking for his name in correct spelling

And when the announcement was made to the audience at the '69 Newport Folk Festival that July day....the crowd....(it's documented on film)

BOO'ed.

They didn't like it. :blink:

Joel... I cheered and I think.... you probably did too :D

• 3 years later...

Hi all,

Hi, i am a new member. I am 16 and a big fan of the mighty LED ZEPPELIN! I need your help. For my World History class i need to write a detailed report on any historical event i choose. I can't narrow one down since there are too many! Can i get some suggestions, PLEASE? Thanks guys, and ROCK N ROLL!!!

I would like to here what you wrote report on.

KB

I'm glad you didn't say 24 August 1814 :D

The Battle of Bladensburg, a small victory for the British, nothing compared to the Battle of New Orleanson January 8,1815, now that really kicked arse.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_New_Orleans

I'm a Historian, not a Sentimental Patriot Brad, i know that a line of British Redcoats was no match for a bunch of Backwoodsmen with the latest Rifles, you can be proud of Andy and his men though, but i wonder the outcome if Wellesley had been in charge?

Kind Regards, Danny

Jackson would have fought to the death. From Jackson's point of view, the British had annihilated his family. He did not hesitate to kill; the man was resolute like flint. When I studied this part of United States history in high school, I couldn't eat lunch that day. It's not easy reading. I wouldn't call it my favorite historical event, but it was an unforgettable one.

George IV (12 August 1762 – 26 June 1830), Prince of Wales, was the monarch in Britain in 1815, when he served as Prince Regent during the period of the British Regency.

Jackson was born on the border between North and South Carolina. His father died a short time before his birth. At the age of 14, Jackson lost his mother to cholera while she was nursing American soldiers being held by the British. As a boy of 13, during the Revolutionary War, Jackson took part in the Battle of Hanging Rock. He was taken prisoner by the British, and when one of the British officers demanded that he clean his boots, Jackson refused. The officer hit him with the dull side of his saber, leaving a scar Jackson bore for the rest of his life. After the war Jackson studied law and became a prosecutor. For one year he was Tennessee's representative in Congress and for five months he was a member of the Senate. From 1798-1804, Jackson served as Judge on the Tennessee Supreme Court. In 1812, Jackson was appointed Major General in the Volunteer Corps.

In October 1813, after the Creek Indian uprising, Jackson led a 2,500 strong Tennessee force against the Creeks, defeating a force of 1,000 Indians. In May 1814, Jackson was promoted to Major General in the regular army. In October of that year he invaded Florida and captured Pensacola. He then marched north and west to New Orleans, where he undertook the defense of that city.

On January 8, 1815 (after the treaty of Ghent had been signed), Jackson led his troops to a stunning victory over the British regulars who were attacking New Orleans. There were 2,000 British casualties and 21 American casualties. The stunning victory made Jackson a national hero.

historycentral.com/Bio/presidents/jackson

Jackson was the only member of his family to survive the war. Many believe that his harsh, adventuresome, early life developed his strong, aggressive qualities of leadership, his violent temper, and his need for intense loyalty from friends.

notablebiographies.com/Ho-Jo/Jackson-Andrew

George IV (George Augustus Frederick; 12 August 1762 – 26 June 1830) was the King of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland and also of Hanover from the death of his father, George III, on 29 January 1820 until his own death ten years later. From 1811 until his accession, he served as Prince Regent during his father's relapse into mental illness.

George IV led an extravagant lifestyle that contributed to the fashions of the British Regency. He was a patron of new forms of leisure, style and taste.

wiki/George_IV_of_the_United_Kingdom

The Regency era in the United Kingdom is the period between 1811—when King George III was deemed unfit to rule and his son, the Prince of Wales, ruled as his proxy as Prince Regent—and 1820, when the Prince Regent became George IV on the death of his father.

The term Regency era sometimes refers to a more extended time frame than the decade of the formal Regency. The period between 1795 and 1837 (the latter part of the reign of George III and the reigns of his sons George IV, as Prince Regent and King, and William IV) was characterized by distinctive trends in British architecture, literature, fashions, politics, and culture.

wiki/British_Regency

Britain sent between 11,000 and 14,450 troops under the command of Major General Sir Edward Pakenham to fight in the Louisiana campaign. These included army and navy men fresh from campaigns fought against Napoleon in Europe, as well as veterans of other theaters in the War of 1812. Vice-Admiral Alexander Cochrane had charge of the British navy in American waters and directed naval skirmishes in the gulf.

dot_clea.gif

dot_clea.gif Among the British forces were the First and Fifth West India Regiments, made up of about one thousand black soldiers from Jamaica, Barbados, and the Bahamas. Some of these units recruited and trained American slaves who escaped to British lines, attracted by the promise of freedom.

dot_clea.gif

dot_clea.gif United States forces at the time of the Battle of New Orleans were much smaller--somewhere between 3,500 and 5,000. This detachment was composed of United States army troops; Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi, and Louisiana militia; Baratarian pirates; Choctaw warriors; and free black soldiers.

dot_clea.gif

dot_clea.gif Major General Andrew Jackson, commander of the Seventh Military District, led United States forces in the Gulf campaign against Britain. An ardent expansionist and charismatic leader, Jackson inspired his men and the local populace to fight and defeat the British.

lsm.crt.state.la.us/cabildo/cab6

wiki.war of 1812

1. The Moon Landing

2. The issue of the Emancipation of Proclamation on the 1st of January, 1863

3. The fall of The Berlin Wall

4. The First Woodstock Music Festival :D

Hi Kiwi,

Britain beat that by 56 years.

Slave Trade Act 1807

Plate to commemorate the abolition of the slave trade in 1807. The Slave Trade Act was passed by the British Parliament on 25 March 1807, making the slave trade illegal throughout the British Empire. The Act imposed a fine of £100 for every slave found aboard a British ship. Such a law was bound to be eventually passed, given the increasingly powerful abolitionist movement. The timing might have been connected with the Napoleonic Wars raging at the time. At a time when Napoleon took the retrograde decision to revive slavery which had been abolished during the French Revolution and to send his troops to re-enslave the people of Haiti and the other French Caribbean possessions, the British prohibition of the slave trade gave the British Empire the high moral ground.

The act's intention was to entirely outlaw the slave trade within the British Empire, but the trade continued and captains in danger of being caught by the Royal Navy would often throw slaves into the sea to reduce the fine. In 1827, Britain declared that participation in the slave trade was piracy and punishable by death. Between 1808 and 1860, the Royal Navy's West Africa Squadron seized approximately 1,600 slave ships and freed 150,000 Africans who were aboard.[11] Action was also taken against African leaders who refused to agree to British treaties to outlaw the trade, for example against "the usurping King of Lagos", deposed in 1851. Anti-slavery treaties were signed with over 50 African rulers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abolitionism

Kind Regards, Danny

Last year we went to Jekyll Island on the coast here in Georgia, which is an incredible place with a lot of unusual history.

One of the most interesting events is the story of The Wanderer, the last documented ship to bring a cargo of slaves from Africa to the United States, a full 50 years after the United States outlawed the importation of slaves.

We went to the area of the island where the ship offloaded the slaves, and it was an extremely moving experience.

You could see why the spot was chosen (on the back side of the island) both for privacy and calmer waters.

It was so easy to imagine the event taking place, and I've never felt such a sense of "history coming alive".

Here are a couple of photos we took.

The view from under the large tree where the landing took place.

post-4573-0-22119500-1309053649_thumb.jp

The big tree.

post-4573-0-08442800-1309053654_thumb.jp

The view from the water towards the tree.

post-4573-0-66500300-1309053650_thumb.jp

It's a very isolated location.

post-4573-0-41549300-1309053656_thumb.jp

Very interesting / compelling stuff.

http://www.history.navy.mil/danfs/w2/wanderer-i.htm

Last year we went to Jekyll Island on the coast here in Georgia, which is an incredible place with a lot of unusual history.

One of the most interesting events is the story of The Wanderer, the last documented ship to bring a cargo of slaves from Africa to the United States, a full 50 years after the United States outlawed the importation of slaves.

I see. It's interesting that, in later years, the Wanderer served as a hospital ship in the U.S. Navy.

The United States officially outlawed the importation of slaves in 1808.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Wanderer reached Jekyll Island, Georgia on November 28, 1858 and delivered 409 slaves alive.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

During the next two years, ownership of the vessel changed several times. On one occasion, the ship was stolen and taken to sea on a piratical and slaving voyage. Near the coast of Africa, the first mate led a mutiny and left the pirate captain at sea in a small boat before bringing the ship back to Boston, Massachusetts, on 24 December 1859 and turning her over to authorities.

In April 1861, upon the outbreak of the American Civil War, the United States Government seized Wanderer to prevent her from falling into the hands of the Confederate States of America. She served in the United States Navy from then until June 1865, serving as a gunboat, a tender, and a hospital ship. Sold into mercantile service in June 1865, the Wanderer operated commercially until lost off Cape Maisi, Cuba, on 12 January 1871.

source: wiki

Not really my favorite historical event but one that changed the future of the United States of America and the whole World at the same time (and not necessarily for the better). Of course I am referring to September 11, 2001.

My most recent favorite historical event: May 1, 2011. The death of Osama bin Laden by American Navy SEALS.

Not really my favorite historical event but one that changed the future of the United States of America and the whole World at the same time (and not necessarily for the better). Of course I am referring to September 11, 2001.

My most recent favorite historical event: May 1, 2011. The death of Osama bin Laden by American Navy SEALS.

That ultimately turned into an hysterical event!

Mine is 29th April 1770 when Captain James Cook the greatest cartographer ever, landed on what would become the best island. continent and country in the world. Australia.

The LZ-129 Hindenburg disaster at Lakehurst, New Jersey on May 6, 1937 brought an abrupt end to the age of the rigid airship. After more than 30 years of passenger travel on German commercial zeppelins (during which tens of thousands of passengers flew over a million miles on more than 2,000 flights without a single injury) the era of the passenger zeppelin came to an end in a few fiery minutes.

airships.net/hindenburg/disaster

burning-with-mast.jpg

That ultimately turned into an hysterical event!

Mine is 29th April 1770 when Captain James Cook the greatest cartographer ever, landed on what would become the best island. continent and country in the world. Australia.

I did not know that they had cartoons way back in 1770 in the Outback. Is he the one who "mapped out" and drew the Tasmanian Devil?

Even more than the moon landing itself, I'd have to go for the first view of the earth from space via Apollo 8 on Christmas Eve 1968...The good earth :beer:

The LZ-129 Hindenburg disaster at Lakehurst, New Jersey on May 6, 1937 brought an abrupt end to the age of the rigid airship. After more than 30 years of passenger travel on German commercial zeppelins (during which tens of thousands of passengers flew over a million miles on more than 2,000 flights without a single injury) the era of the passenger zeppelin came to an end in a few fiery minutes.

airships.net/hindenburg/disaster

burning-with-mast.jpg

You sir, are one of the most intelligent people on this forum...I really enjoy reading your posts...thanx :):):)

Danny,

Now hold a minute there professor. Maybe, sort of.

No outside nation forced either the United States of the UK to end slavery. Each nation ended the practice on their own.

Cheers,

Brad

Hi Brad,

I was just stating that Great Britain stopped Slavery before the United States did, something overlooked by most so called Scollars.

Another overlooked fact is that it was Black Tribes that aquired the Slaves for the White Man and not the other way round, that the Slave Trade was established in West Africa by Muslim Slavers centuries before the Europeans got involved and that the Barbary Pirates from North Africa took millions of White Europeans as Slaves in the Centuries prior to the European Slave Trade. I in no way condone what any of those people did but we live in a very differend world today, a world where a Black Country called Mauritania STILL practices SLAVERY, I wonder how many people know that?

Kind Regards, Danny

I see. It's interesting that, in later years, the Wanderer served as a hospital ship in the U.S. Navy.

source: wiki

One of the most interesting comments I read referred to how although The Wanderer had such a relatively short life as a vessel, it affected so many lives.

I wrote a short article on our trip in our monthly magazine last year after we got back.

Archived