American Revolutions: Southern Rock

Jahfin

During it's first run this special dropped the segment they had devoted to the Drive-By Truckers. Not sure if they've corrected that but it would be nice, especially since they're still listed in the description. Either way, there's a heart wrenching acoustic version of the Truckers' Angels and Fuselage that accompanies footage of the Skynyrd plane crash.

------------------------------------

http://www.cmt.com/shows/dyn/american_revo...ode_about.jhtml

Tue., Jan. 29 11:00 PM ET/PT

American Revolutions: Southern Rock, a CMT original 90-minute documentary, explores the roots and legacy of Southern rock by tracing the rise of its greatest artists and their music from the late 1960s to the present. As a young white South looked to redefine its identity after the Civil Rights movement of the 1960s, Southern rock gave a voice (and driving backbeat) to that struggle in the 1970s -- and had a pretty damn good time doing it. The Allman Brothers Band, Lynyrd Skynyrd, the Marshall Tucker Band, Wet Willie, Charlie Daniels and other artists made Southern rock -- a tag that began as a record label marketing ploy -- into something real.

Meeting the devil at the crossroads with a devil-may-care attitude, these bands took what British rockers like the Rolling Stones and Cream had gleaned from Southern music and brought it back home with authenticity and authority. Classics like "Whippin' Post," "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed," "Ramblin' Man," "Can't You See," "Freebird," and "Sweet Home Alabama" were born, and music hasn't been the same since.

Featuring interviews with band members, producers, managers, friends and family, this documentary gives viewers a backstage pass to the birth of a movement. American Revolutions: Southern Rock pays tribute to pioneers like the Allman Brothers, celebrates newer bands like Drive-By Truckers who have inherited the Southern rock mantle and sincerely applauds the first bands, like Skynyrd, who are still rockin' in the free world.

All great classic songs mentioned here. In memory of Elizabeth Reed is one of my favorite instrumentals of all time. And when you think of Skynrd, you wonder what greatness they could have achieved had they not met this tragedy. They did so much in a short time. I will try and catch it. But if I cant, I think Rossington and Collins (surviviing members) are the ones that made 38 special?

No, they weren't but they did decide on Dale Krantz being the lead vocalist for The Rossington-Collins Band because of some of the work she'd done with .38 Special, particularly her backing vocals on Money Honey from their Rockin' Into the Night album.

Correct me if Im wrong. Wasnt it also Van Zandts brother?

Donnie Van Zant fronts .38 Special. He and Johnny Van Zant also have a group called Van Zant. In addition, Johnny sings lead for the current version of Lynyrd Skynyrd (which shouldn't at all be confused with the pre-crash version of the band which was fronted by Ronnie Van Zant).

Thanks. Doesnt he sound quite alot like Ronnie??

Yes, he does, as does Johnny.

I loved 38 special. Hold On Loosely-great song. I know that Steve and Cassy Gaines were tragically killed in the crash as I have seen specials on Skynrd in the past. Didnt Steven Gaines play the main lead in Free Bird?

I have no idea, perhaps one of the musician types here can help fill you in. I'm sure he played some lead on the song but I always figured Allen Collins played the lion's share.

Would you say him and Rossington did about eqaul guitar work?

Again, I have no idea. I had to guess at who was playing what on the Skynyrd records for years but it wasn't until I saw the Tribute Tour in 1987 that I ever saw Skynyrd in any form. Then, Ed King seemed to be playing a lot of Gaines' parts, as was Randall Hall. As for Rossington, he seemed to be doing a lot of the rhythm stuff but also took the occasional lead.

I never got to see LS but did see 38 Special.

Which reminds me of the Drive-By Truckers lyric:

"And I never saw Lynyrd Skynyrd but I sure saw Molly Hatchet

With .38 Special and the Johnny Van Zant Band."

I never saw the original Lynyrd Skynyrd either but I did see .38 Special, Blackfoot, the Johnny Van Zant Band and many, many others back in the day.

Yes, he does, as does Johnny.

I have no idea, perhaps one of the musician types here can help fill you in. I'm sure he played some lead on the song but I always figured Allen Collins played the lion's share.

Again, I have no idea. I had to guess at who was playing what on the Skynyrd records for years but it wasn't until I saw the Tribute Tour in 1987 that I ever saw Skynyrd in any form. Then, Ed King seemed to be playing a lot of Gaines' parts, as was Randall Hall. As for Rossington, he seemed to be doing a lot of the rhythm stuff but also took the occasional lead.

Which reminds me of the Drive-By Truckers lyric:

"And I never saw Lynyrd Skynyrd but I sure saw Molly Hatchet

With .38 Special and the Johnny Van Zant Band."

I never saw the original Lynyrd Skynyrd either but I did see .38 Special, Blackfoot, the Johnny Van Zant Band and many, many others back in the day.

I wonder if Molly Hatchet is still together. I would love to see them. I know that way back they played at a bar here called the "Penny Arcade" known to be a bikers bar. Very small venue for a band as big as them. I didnt get to see it as I found out too late. I love "Dreams Ill Never See". One of the best songs I have ever heard. Love it.

I wonder if Molly Hatchet is still together. I would love to see them. I know that way back they played at a bar here called the "Penny Arcade" known to be a bikers bar. Very small venue for a band as big as them. I didnt get to see it as I found out too late. I love "Dreams Ill Never See". One of the best songs I have ever heard. Love it.

Molly Hatchet are still together but only include one member of the original band. For the longest time they toured without any original members. Actually, more original members of Hatchet can be found in the band Gator Country than in Molly Hatchet itself. You can read about the whole assorted affair here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molly_Hatchet

I enjoyed watching it again myself, it had been a while. No matter how many times I've seen it I still get choked up when the plane crash footage starts and that acoustic version of Angels and Fuselage kicks it.

Looking out the window, the trees are getting closer it seems.

Thinking bout you Darlin'

Adding up the cost of these dreams.

Strapped to this projectile, just a blink ago I was back in school.

Smoking by the gym door, practicing my rock-star attitude

And I'm scared shitless of what's coming next.

I'm scared shitless, these angels I see in the trees are waiting for me.

The engines have stopped now. We all know we are going down. Last call for alcohol.

Sure wish I could have another round.

And I'm scared shitless of what's coming next.

Scared shitless, these angels I see in the trees are waiting for me.

Waiting for me.

Friends in the swamp.

Friends on the ground, in the trees.

Angels and fuselage.

Can't get it! Do they stream any of the shows?

I'm not sure. Try checking CMT.com

I was looking forward to seeing the Drive By Truckers in Nottingham on Monday just gone but it was cancelled. :angry:

I hated to hear that myself but according to Patterson's recent interview with Flagpole magazine it was for good reason, they simply couldn't afford to tour overseas at this time.

I'm not sure. Try checking CMT.com

Thanks. I tried and no joy. Maybe it's to early yet to have it on-line. I'll keep checking.

I hated to hear that myself but according to Patterson's recent interview with Flagpole magazine it was for good reason, they simply couldn't afford to tour overseas at this time.

Their supposed to be coming over to play later this year, so fingers crossed. :)

I'm guessing the interviews were conducted around the same time the special first aired, which I believe was 2-3 years ago.

I wondered if you realized Dreams (I'll Never See) was an Allmans original. It's such a signature song they even named their box set after it. I love the original but also like what Hatchet did with it.

BE6ACB8252D04F5D9B6383CBF105202D.jpg

Archived