LZ Memorabilia Exhibit at Knebworth House

PageAngel

...well, here I am again with yet another project, and again I am hoping many of you Zeppelin fans will be willing to help. :)

I got to thinking that I would love to do something special for the 40th anniversary of the formation of the band this year, and I thought a charity event would be good, seeing as Zeppelin gave us so much, giving something back in their name sounded just the thing!

I love looking at people's memorabilia they have collected over the years, and I thought the public would enjoy it to, so I called Knebworth House and asked if they would be willing to donate the use of a room for an exhibit of Zeppelin memorabilia for charity, and they said yes! So now me and the people who have agreed to work on this project with me are all busily seeking out memorabilia to display and working on the event.

It will run from August 1st until September 3rd. It will be open every day to the public, so everyone who comes to the house will see it. We are looking for just about anything (except bootlegs) that you have collected of Zeppelin that you might be willing to loan us for the period of the exhibit. Our space is not a huge one, so we may not be able to use everything that is kindly offered, but please let us know what you have. All the details of insurance, storage, handling and security will be sent to you on request.

The exhibit will be held in the library of Edward Bulwar Lytton, of whom the owner of the house tells me Jimmy is a fan. It's a beautiful room and I feel very privileged to have the use of it, so if any of you would like to have your memorabilia in residence at Knebworth this summer, please contact me or harlequin, who is also working on this with me. You can ask here in the thread or send private messages if you'd rather. It is not just memorabilia we need, all donations toward the event expenses, ideas, or any other way you feel you might contribute will be greatly appreciated!

There will be a private reception in the house prior to the event opening to the public for all those who helped in any way, and I really look forward to meeting some of you there.

Thanks! :D

...well, here I am again with yet another project, and again I am hoping many of you Zeppelin fans will be willing to help. :)

I got to thinking that I would love to do something special for the 40th anniversary of the formation of the band this year, and I thought a charity event would be good, seeing as Zeppelin gave us so much, giving something back in their name sounded just the thing!

I love looking at people's memorabilia they have collected over the years, and I thought the public would enjoy it to, so I called Knebworth House and asked if they would be willing to donate the use of a room for an exhibit of Zeppelin memorabilia for charity, and they said yes! So now me and the people who have agreed to work on this project with me are all busily seeking out memorabilia to display and working on the event.

It will run from August 1st until September 3rd. It will be open every day to the public, so everyone who comes to the house will see it. We are looking for just about anything (except bootlegs) that you have collected of Zeppelin that you might be willing to loan us for the period of the exhibit. Our space is not a huge one, so we may not be able to use everything that is kindly offered, but please let us know what you have. All the details of insurance, storage, handling and security will be sent to you on request.

The exhibit will be held in the library of Edward Bulwar Lytton, of whom the owner of the house tells me Jimmy is a fan. It's a beautiful room and I feel very privileged to have the use of it, so if any of you would like to have your memorabilia in residence at Knebworth this summer, please contact me or harlequin, who is also working on this with me. You can ask here in the thread or send private messages if you'd rather. It is not just memorabilia we need, all donations toward the event expenses, ideas, or any other way you feel you might contribute will be greatly appreciated!

There will be a private reception in the house prior to the event opening to the public for all those who helped in any way, and I really look forward to meeting some of you there.

Wow....this sounds wonderful. Unfortunately, I don't have any memorabilia to share....I wish I did because I would be more than happy to donate.

However, I'm sure you will get more than enough contributions for this latest project.

Even if you don't own any memorabilia, I could still use ideas...we have to fill a program with interesting things to read, we could use all the help we can get to spread the word far and wide so we can get really good pieces to display, and even if you thought what you might like to see at an exhibit would be fun to know.

I am setting up an account for the exhibit soon, so even a donation to help with the cost of setting it all up would be fantastic. I have an artist who is donating a painting of the band to raffle, and the man who made Jimmy's book is donating some leather notebooks to sell in the shop - we want to raise a really nice sum for the ABC!

I should mention we are on Knebworth's website if you want to have a look:

http://knebworthhouse.com/events/events.html

And the ABC Trust is here: http://www.abctrust.org.uk/

This is thrilling. Absolutely terrific! I'm willing to provide an extensive amount of material

pertaining to their 1979 Knebworth Festival performances, to include an interview Robert

and John Paul Jones conducted inside Knebworth House following the festival. I do have a few Sir Edward Lytton items, but nothing the Cobbold's wouldn't already have themselves. Jimmy is most certainly an enthusiast of Sir Edward, taking the time to gaze into good Sir

Edward's crystal ball in the library whilst visiting in '79.

Steve A. Jones

Even if you don't own any memorabilia, I could still use ideas...we have to fill a program with interesting things to read, we could use all the help we can get to spread the word far and wide so we can get really good pieces to display, and even if you thought what you might like to see at an exhibit would be fun to know.

I am setting up an account for the exhibit soon, so even a donation to help with the cost of setting it all up would be fantastic. I have an artist who is donating a painting of the band to raffle, and the man who made Jimmy's book is donating some leather notebooks to sell in the shop - we want to raise a really nice sum for the ABC!

I should mention we are on Knebworth's website if you want to have a look:

http://knebworthhouse.com/events/events.html

And the ABC Trust is here: http://www.abctrust.org.uk/

Will do. Thanks!!! :)

Wow that sounds terrific Steve, thanks so much for being willing to contribute. I just knew the Zep collectors would help out, and if you're going to ask people to borrow their fabulous Zep stuff, it deserves the grandest setting you can get!

They invited me to come look at the library a few months ago, and it was so cool to be in it, especially because the house was closed and I could have a really good look with no one else around. I'm fan of Sir Edward's too. But even though I was in this really posh setting, I had to have a little fan girl squeal knowing that Jimmy had been in there, but no one minded... :blush:

Thanks for the ideas myledzep - that's exactly the kind of things I need people to help me think of. Dave Lewis (His site is Tight But Loose) has kindly put us in his magazine this month, and is going to meet with us and help out. He's just a super guy. I posted on FBO, and so did another friend who I think is on this board too, and he has had some response. But it may be time to remind everyone again, as the 02 Show was taking up everyone's attention before now - mine included!

What a cool idea, PA! Bulwer-Lytton is great--I didn't know Jimmy was fan (though I suppose I might've guessed). I taught Zanoni last year in my 19thC occult lit class and we all had the best time with it. Hope I can make this event as I'd love to see the library as well as all of the memorabilia, and anything that helps ABC is always a really good thing. :thumbsup:

AllisonAdler I love Zanoni - hope you can make it over. Chatting to someone else that has read it woud be fun. I've never met anyone who has read it. A few have read Vril.

It is a really grand setting Steve, when were you there? Are you in the UK? It was great walking up to the front of the house - the day I went the sky was clear blue and the sun was out, and I stood there waiting for the doors to be unlocked thinking that the band had stood right where I was for a photo. B)

Where did you take your pics eternal light? We'd have to have them by the 31st of July at the latest if you decided to let us borrow them, as the space is limited and nothing can be added after the exhibit is put in place.

What a fabulous idea, PageAngel!

I don't have any memorabilia myself, I'm afraid, but what I will do is make the trip down to Knebworth to visit the exhibition - I might even make a weekend of it!

Please keep us all posted (especially if Jimmy agrees to be there for the opening ceremony) B)

I hope you do make down and enjoy it! :) But, there is no opening ceremony, the exhibit simply opens to the public on August 1st. The reception the night before opening is just a thanks for people who have helped with the exhibit and there are no celebrities involved in this at all.

It is a really grand setting Steve, when were you there? Are you in the UK?

August 1996. Radiant sunshine and a clear blue sky all day long. I never wanted to leave! Sir Edward's crystal ball was still on display in the library at that time.

Unfortunately, I no longer reside in the UK but have often returned to visit.

It was just the same when I was there, it's a magical place, and then when you add the Zep connection it feels even more magical. I hope you can come for the exhibit. :)

I should have the information packs ready soon for anyone that might loan something. Still waiting on an insurance quote - chasing people for quotes is so dull....I seem to spend half my life on the phone or computer after one thing or another.

It was just the same when I was there, it's a magical place, and then when you add the Zep connection it feels even more magical. I hope you can come for the exhibit. :)

I should have the information packs ready soon for anyone that might loan something. Still waiting on an insurance quote - chasing people for quotes is so dull....I seem to spend half my life on the phone or computer after one thing or another.

But that aspect is important if you'd like to include THE shirt Jimmy wore at the 1979

Knebworth Festival. If you haven't already received the details concerning that item,

just PM me and I'll put you in the right direction. Thanks for the contributions your

making in direct support of the charity.

If we are talking about the person who owns that shirt, yeah, we've been in touch.

Yes, and glad to hear it. I seem to recall he was very gracious in lending items for

display within Miller Genuine Draft's 1995 Page/Plant North American tour exhibition.

It's framed in a glass case, so I don't think he's gonna let you...

Anyway...thanks to people who have been contacting me about loaning things - and please don't be shy! I do get folks who think we wouldn't be interested in their stuff if it isn't Jimmy's shirt or something, but that's just not the case. The more things we have to choose from the better.

You are amazing. Do you know that?

I wish I had some memorabilia.

All I have are my old records, cd's and a swan song tapestry. NOthing special at all.

Wish I could be there. It's a long swim from here to the UK. ;)

Er no I don't think he will!!

But as Page Angel said there are a load of other collectors who are offering items - this is gonna be a BIGGIE!! What I'm seeing at the moment we've got quite a lot of expensive larger items but we seem to missing the smaller stuff - like old mags paper covers badges,buttons that sort of thing which are still very nice to show - which leads me to a question. What sort of stuff would people like to see? Space is the main constraint but if we had an idea that might be able to be considered you know? (AND if we can get it of course!!)

I really wish I had some good memorabilia to contribute also. All I have though are my CD's basically. But I can't miss this opportunity so I will try to think of something!! PageAngel, let me know if you can think of something else that might be good.

I really wish I had some good memorabilia to contribute also. All I have though are my CD's basically. But I can't miss this opportunity so I will try to think of something!! PageAngel, let me know if you can think of something else that might be good.

I will let you know - your such a star, thanks for being willing to help. :)

Archived