Why was Achilles Last Stand missing from the set list?

I just got a recording of the ahmet/o2 show today, heard it full for the first time and i guess they just played what they wanted to play in regards to playing together again. They were in good form to play -achilles thats for sure. I mean, that show definately makes you think what achilles last stand, the rover, immigrant song or wearing and tearing would have sounded like, a great night for -led zeppelin!!!!

I still think it was the rythm section,i think they could have handled it but they weren't confident,JPJ and Jason haven't played together enough yet (And let's not forget that Zepp are still a bit rusty) the song requires total discipline which the current line-up in their hitherto quite idle state just can't muster,Jimmy hadn't been active in years and shouldn't have been able to pplay as fluently as he did,Robert shouldn't have been able to hit the high-notes like he did,JPJ shouldn't have been able to play like that after being inactive for so long and JB shouldn't have played so well what with the pressure,but they did and could have done it,but didn't have confidence.

I still think it was the rythm section,i think they could have handled it but they weren't confident,JPJ and Jason haven't played together enough yet (And let's not forget that Zepp are still a bit rusty) the song requires total discipline which the current line-up in their hitherto quite idle state just can't muster,Jimmy hadn't been active in years and shouldn't have been able to pplay as fluently as he did,Robert shouldn't have been able to hit the high-notes like he did,JPJ shouldn't have been able to play like that after being inactive for so long and JB shouldn't have played so well what with the pressure,but they did and could have done it,but didn't have confidence.

They played Kashmir which may require more disciplined than Achilles. I think it wasn't played because they only had 2 hours and they just couldn't fit it in. If they had 3 hours they would have played it.

I think they were just trying to play it safe, given the disappointments in the past. Achilles is a really challenging song, both structurally and in terms of musicianship (the rhythm section especially) I suspect that they auditioned it but chose instead to craft a set that they were completely confident in so as to put them in the best possible position for success. Dazed and Confused was enough of a gamble and if you have to chose between the two Dazed was a centerpiece of their live show since the very beginning.

OK,the rythm section is faster than Kashmir,Kashmir is more repetitive hence it's easy to be "hypnotized" in the rythm,but ALS requires complete stellar musicianship and total devotion to the song and (IMHO) The vocals are EVEN harder than Kashmir,but the later highlights the vocals are better,the guitar part is insanely impossible on guitar,That's my take on it.

Archived