Live Cuts Enhance Carole King's 'Tapestry'

Jahfin

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/articl...t_id=1003703610

king_carole_01l.gif

Carole King

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

A new edition of Carole King's iconic 1971 album "Tapestry" will arrive April 15 via Epic/Ode/Legacy, bolstered by live versions of its tracks recorded in 1973 and 1976.

The first disc of the two-CD set includes the original album in remastered form plus the bonus studio cut "Out in the Cold." Original producer Lou Adler also supplies track-by-track commentary in the liner notes.

Disc two rounds up album tracks in sequence, taped in 1973 in Boston, Columbia, Md., and New York's Central Park, plus at a 1976 show at the San Francisco Opera House.

"Tapestry" spent 15 weeks at No. 1 on the Billboard album chart and has sold more than 22 million copies worldwide, according to Sony Music. Its hits include "You've Got a Friend," "It's Too Late" and "I Feel the Earth Move."

She was like the Association....

Looked at as either the most hip, straight person.....or the straightest, hip person.

Great tunes...and some rocking for sure...appealed across a broad range of folks, hence..she was hard to categorize, imo.

I tend to think she was a straight, hip person....B)

• 2 weeks later...

king_carole_01l.gif

Carole King

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

A new edition of Carole King's iconic 1971 album "Tapestry" will arrive April 15 via Epic/Ode/Legacy, bolstered by live versions of its tracks recorded in 1973 and 1976.

The first disc of the two-CD set includes the original album in remastered form plus the bonus studio cut "Out in the Cold." Original producer Lou Adler also supplies track-by-track commentary in the liner notes.

Disc two rounds up album tracks in sequence, taped in 1973 in Boston, Columbia, Md., and New York's Central Park, plus at a 1976 show at the San Francisco Opera House.

"Tapestry" spent 15 weeks at No. 1 on the Billboard album chart and has sold more than 22 million copies worldwide, according to Sony Music. Its hits include "You've Got a Friend," "It's Too Late" and "I Feel the Earth Move."

this was one of my mom's faves back in the early to mid seventies. I heard it frequently around our house, along with many other flavors of the era...definately respect her voice and talent. I remember she was big at the time...

king_carole_01l.gif

Carole King

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

Forgot to mention that a while back, maybe a couple of years, they re-released/remastered Marivin Gaye's classic album "What's Going On" (hope that's the name of the lp, cant remember, but it is the one with that song on it) using the same appealing format (i think anyway). That is, in addition to the lp having been cleaned up, every song on the lp was represented with a live counterpart. In the case of this album, I believe the live stuff comes from a single show were he performed all the songs off his new (at that time) lp. I dont have it, but it is on my wish list!

That sure brings back some great memories. Every girl I knew had that album. She's a wonderful songwriter and performer. I'll be looking for that one :)

I was going to say the same thing ally! Every girl I knew, plus most of the guys, had that album....it's a great one, to be sure.

She was like the Association....

Looked at as either the most hip, straight person.....or the straightest, hip person.

Great tunes...and some rocking for sure...appealed across a broad range of folks, hence..she was hard to categorize, imo.

I tend to think she was a straight, hip person.... B)

I never realized that the Association had that reputation, Joelmon. They were my oldest brother's favorite group. So how do his other favs -- the Four Seasons, Hollies, and Beach Boys -- rate on the hip/straight meter??

^ I personally thought that the albums after that were even hipper.....Sunflower for instance and Surf's Up. Pet Sounds gets all the accolades though....

As for the Hip/Straight factor Angel w/BrokenWings....I rate the Four Seasons as a cocktail and martini shoeshined group...The Hollies were totally HIP afterall they had Graham of Hash as a member.... and the Beach Boys were Hip, even in their days of that clean look and All American image. Then something happened as they started dying and freaking out....and when Mike Love took over....they became nerdy in my view.....<_<

You asked....:D

The hippest album to like by the Beach Boys is Pet Sounds.

^ I personally thought that the albums after that were even hipper.....Sunflower for instance and Surf's Up. Pet Sounds gets all the accolades though....

As for the Hip/Straight factor Angel w/BrokenWings....I rate the Four Seasons as a cocktail and martini shoeshined group...The Hollies were totally HIP afterall they had Graham of Hash as a member.... and the Beach Boys were Hip, even in their days of that clean look and All American image. Then something happened as they started dying and freaking out....and when Mike Love took over....they became nerdy in my view..... <_<

You asked.... :D

Graham of Hash! :lol: That is "fall off my chair" hilarious! :hysterical: But I somehow knew you would agree w/me that the Hollies were totally HIP.

OK, so my brother gets one point for the Hollies and half a point each for Association and Beach Boys (am just counting 60s music for all). Voila! He scores a Cool Factor of 2 out of 4! Wow, much higher than I'd expected, LOL, will have to share this news with him.

Archived