5 songs not played at the O2 you think Plant can/cannot still be able to pull off

What other songs that were not played at the O2 do you think Plant can/cannot still sing.

Can still sing.

1. Achilles Last Stand

2. Heartbreaker (After hearing him sing rock n roll i definately think he could do this one)

3. Over the hills and far away (my favorite song by Led Zeppelin and was actually really dissappointed this was left out of the set)

4. Celebration Day

5. The rain song

Cant sing anymore.

1.Communication Breakdown (As much as i love this song theres no way in hell he could still sng it without it being tuned way down and coming out like ramble on. :(

2. The Ocean

3. Immigrant song

4. Living Loving Maid (even though they would never play it because Page hated it)

Not another Plant-bashing thread. Why not a thread on what songs you think Jimmy couldn't play anymore or that JPJ couldn't play anymore or what Jason would fuck up on?

THIS IS NOT A THREAD TO BASH PLANT. I think he did incredible at the O2 and he has an amazing voice. Im just curious to see what songs people think he would and wouldn't be able to sing. I could easily make one on Jimmy JPJ or Jason.

I have a thought! I think that Plant can sing any and all songs from Zep's catalog. Perhaps some of would have to be performed in a different key than the original - BUT - and hear me out on this - it is possible that this "retuning" could add another dimension to the song! It is possible that, like so many times before, we could actually discover something new and interesting about our old favorites thanks to this subtle change! How often have each of us said that no matter how many times we listen to Zep, we always discover something new? I say it all the time! Perhaps what we need to focus on is how the songs could evolve even further with some key changes!

WHO'S WITH ME ON THIS?! ANYBODY?

I have a thought! I think that Plant can sing any and all songs from Zep's catalog. Perhaps some of would have to be performed in a different key than the original - BUT - and hear me out on this - it is possible that this "retuning" could add another dimension to the song! It is possible that, like so many times before, we could actually discover something new and interesting about our old favorites thanks to this subtle change! How often have each of us said that no matter how many times we listen to Zep, we always discover something new? I say it all the time! Perhaps what we need to focus on is how the songs could evolve even further with some key changes!

I'm with you!!! :cheer: Well said :cheer: I think it's great when bands rework their songs to add a new twist on them. With Zep, it's certainly what they were about. Change is good :D

Thank you for such a refreshing post :D

Actually, I chatted with some of the lucky few that got to see the rehersals the day before the show and they said "Communication Breakdown" was one of the songs they practiced.

Judging from the songlist used at the O2 and seeing how similar it was to the Knebworth list (minus one and a half hours), I wonder if they intended to play it as a thrid encore, but time wouldn't permit (the O2 had a noise curfew ordinance). Obviuosly, Robert would have no problem singing that song!

Even if Zepp played about 5 more songs, there's still some that we would see threads bitching about what songs they left off. You can't please everybody with the library Zepp has. At least they played a live show. Hopefully they'll do a few more next year.

What other songs that were not played at the O2 do you think Plant can/cannot still sing.

Can still sing.

1. Achilles Last Stand

2. Heartbreaker (After hearing him sing rock n roll i definately think he could do this one)

3. Over the hills and far away (my favorite song by Led Zeppelin and was actually really dissappointed this was left out of the set)

4. Celebration Day

5. The rain song

Cant sing anymore.

1.Communication Breakdown (As much as i love this song theres no way in hell he could still sng it without it being tuned way down and coming out like ramble on. :(

2. The Ocean

3. Immigrant song

4. Living Loving Maid (even though they would never play it because Page hated it)

I'm not so sure about Over the Hills...if he did it like he did from '73 onwards then he could do it (but I'm not particularly fond of it...) But in the original melody, no way.

Also, Communication Breakdown isn't necessarily an impossibility. He often changed it around on nights where he couldn't quite hit the high notes anyway

Take the way he sings it here for example:

It's not the same melody that's on the album, but it still sounds pretty cool and this kinda melody is definetely within his reach these days I think...

Even if Zepp played about 5 more songs, there's still some that we would see threads bitching about what songs they left off. You can't please everybody with the library Zepp has. At least they played a live show. Hopefully they'll do a few more next year.

If you look at the title it doesnt say 5 songs you wish were in the O2 set. Theres a whole other thread for that. Im not trying to bitch about the O2 set. I thought it was great and im realy praying for a tour. Im just asking for others opinions.

Can still sing.

1. Achilles Last Stand

4. Celebration Day

5. The rain song

Cant sing anymore.

2. The Ocean

3. Immigrant song

ACHILLES - yes

HEARTBREAKER - well, he has performed this in the 1990s. Not great

OVER THE HILLS - no, he would not be able to do this. He hasn't hit the right notes since 1972, and could do the modified version from 1973 onwards - which I hate.

CELEBRATION - he has performed the modified version of this - not the original version.

RAIN SONG - yes he could sing this.

COMMUNICATION - he could sing this - it's just a matter of screaming out the high parts in falsetto. It would sound something like the impromptu Knebworth 79 performance.

OCEAN - no way

IMMIGRANT SONG - the screams would be beyond him

LIVING LOVING MAID - he could definitely do this. I have a live version of Robert Plant doing this solo from the late 1980s...and it was note for note spot on.

The fact is, they brought down a lot of the songs in 02 - and transposed them to a key that Plant was comfortable singing. Once that happens, anything can happen, but the songs won't sound exactly the same.

my 2 cents...

Count me in! B)

• 2 weeks later...

Why bother going to a show if you want to hear note for note versions of songs off a record or some bootleg performance from 30+ years ago? Does that sound even remotely reasonable? I mean, there were people complaining that the 02 version of "No Quarter" didn't sound like the 6/25/77 version of "No Quarter"... are people even for real? STAY AT HOME & LISTEN TO YOUR RECORDS. I will take the chance & hear Robert hit the wrong notes to "Immigrant Song", "SIBLY", & even "Hot Dog" if need be this fall. Good luck dissecting "Listen To This Eddie" or "Electric Circus" for the millionth time while something great can be heard by people with open ears who can tolerate a wrong or several wrong notes.

THIS IS NOT A THREAD TO BASH PLANT. I think he did incredible at the O2 and he has an amazing voice. Im just curious to see what songs people think he would and wouldn't be able to sing. I could easily make one on Jimmy JPJ or Jason.

I agree, I think what heartbreaker is saying is that some pitches may be a little harder to hit. When you get older your vocal cords dont constrict as they did when he was younger. Im sure he can still sing the songs but not like he did 30 years ago.

They rehearsed with Communication Breakdown before the O2 show.

I think there's probably only really one or two he can't do.

Over the Hills and Far Away being the main one.

There's parts of other songs he couldn't do. He's played Immigrant Song live in his solo career and a couple of other songs mentioned in this thread. He played Heartbreaker in the 88 reunion also.

I think that He can sing The Rain Song, Over The Hills And Far Away. Why didn't They do it? Because they didn't want to play it.

His voice is fine but he can't sing that high as he could. I think it's only problem.

They picked the songs they wanted to do, plain and simple, not based on ability or difficulty. This is what they felt was the set that was the most enjoyable. Why do so many fans focus on ability being the deciding factor? It wasn't. They played many songs in rehearsals that they didn't do at the O2. They went with what felt good, not based on what was a physical stretch.

The fact of the matter is that Plant has always, ALWAYS gone for notes in the studio that he couldn't reproduce live, then or now. Only a handful of live versions of STH, RnR, Black Dog, Over The Hills, etc. even approach the notes he hit in the studio. And so it is completely unrealistic to expect him to hit those notes now that he couldn't hit 35 years ago. But so what? This isn't the high note Olympics.

Lynyrd Skynyrd had a policy of not putting anything on a record that they couldn't reproduce live every night of a tour, and this shows us the wisdom of that approach. But can you honestly say that you are sorry that Plant reached for the Himilayas of high notes on Black Dog, even though he was going to have to back off of that live? It's a monumental moment in recorded rock.

It's silly to expect cryogenically frozen Plant vocals. Live music isn't about that, it's about honesty, emotion, unpredictability, and energy in the moment. Plant can't hit the high notes on the records and never will again- but if that is what you really want out of an artist, find one who lip syncs and it'll sound like the record every time.

Archived