The KINKS thread

dragster

To be honest, I still have a lot to discover when it comes to their later catalog. I have only heard Come Dancing from that album. I am pretty curious about those later records though, and will check 'em out eventually.

I was working in a record shop :lol: when it came out, otherwise I wouldn't know anything except come dancing as well. It is worth a listen though.

Well, I had to do a little research of Kinks post-Mushwell Hillbillies era. By reading reviews and listening to song clips, my conclusion is that I have to get these albums:

Sleepwalker (1977)

j08366e1pvt.jpg

Misfits (1978)

j09131voz00.jpg

Low Budget (1979)

j09136rcziz.jpg

Well, I had to do a little research of Kinks post-Mushwell Hillbillies era. By reading reviews and listening to song clips, my conclusion is that I have to get these albums:

Sleepwalker (1977)

j08366e1pvt.jpg

Misfits (1978)

j09131voz00.jpg

Low Budget (1979)

j09136rcziz.jpg

I have Misfits on vinyl and it is fantastic. :) Haven't heard Sleepwalker or Low Budget yet. Must get them soon though as I am a huge Kinks fan. B)

Sleepwalker (1977)

j08366e1pvt.jpg

Misfits (1978)

j09131voz00.jpg

Low Budget (1979)

j09136rcziz.jpg

The Kinks would have been my third concert (back in 1979) except i got grounded for "sneaking" to see YES two weeks earlier. Was worth it, too! I did see the Kinks in 1981 with Foreigner at the JFK Stadium, an outdoor venue that held over 100,000 people (you may have heard of it from Live Aid!)... really great show and i still enjoy their music today.

Misfits is a great album, and that song is one of my all time favorites, period! Whatever album you get (The Kinks have good greatest hits albums, too) make sure one of them also includes "Victoria"...another fantastic song! and for Spats, lol :) "Low Budget"!

:D:D:D The Davies bros and the gang were farout in their day.....and even today!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kinks

My fave song (among many others!)......Waterloo Sunset

Dirty old river, must you keep rolling

Flowing into the night

People so busy, makes me feel dizzy

Taxi light shines so bright

But I dont need no friends

As long as I gaze on waterloo sunset

I am in paradise

Every day I look at the world from my window

But chilly, chilly is the evening time

Waterloo sunsets fine

Terry meets julie, waterloo station

Every friday night

But I am so lazy, dont want to wander

I stay at home at night

But I dont feel afraid

I am in paradise

Waterloo sunsets fine

Millions of people swarming like flies round waterloo underground

But terry and julie cross over the river

Where they feel safe and sound

And the dont need no friends

As long as they gaze on waterloo sunset

They are in paradise

KINKS.jpg

How's it going "dragster?" Long time no hear! I LOVE THE KINKS! I saw THE KINKS live in L.A. in the 1970's, GREAT BAND. Sometimes I truly believe that Ray Davies is the BENNY HILL of Rock n' Roll. ROCK ON!

The Kinks would have been my third concert (back in 1979) except i got grounded for "sneaking" to see YES two weeks earlier. Was worth it, too! I did see the Kinks in 1981 with Foreigner at the JFK Stadium, an outdoor venue that held over 100,000 people (you may have heard of it from Live Aid!)... really great show and i still enjoy their music today.

Misfits is a great album, and that song is one of my all time favorites, period! Whatever album you get (The Kinks have good greatest hits albums, too) make sure one of them also includes "Victoria"...another fantastic song! and for Spats, lol :) "Low Budget"!

Cool Kinks story! I'll have to get Misfits, sure seem like a great album.

Victoria can be found on Arthur, which is an outstanding record.

This is a very good greatest hits collection covering 1977-1986. I purchased it to avoid buying all the rock-opera concept albums(see below)

618ENP0A84L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

This is another great one with a couple of classics. Celluloid Heroes and a personal favorite Supersonic Rocket Ship. The two LP set includes a two live sides. For what it's worth here is what the wikipedia entry says..."Everybody's in Show-Biz is often seen as a transition album for The Kinks, marking the change in Ray Davies' songwriting style toward more theatrical, campy and vaudevillian work, as evidenced by the rock-opera concept albums that followed it. It is also considered by most critics as the end of The Kinks' "golden age."

51ewZTJa7KL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

:D:D:D The Davies bros and the gang were farout in their day.....and even today!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kinks

My fave song (among many others!)......Waterloo Sunset

Dirty old river, must you keep rolling

Flowing into the night

People so busy, makes me feel dizzy

Taxi light shines so bright

But I dont need no friends

I am in paradise

Waterloo sunsets fine

Terry meets julie, waterloo station

Every friday night

But I am so lazy, dont want to wander

I stay at home at night

But I dont feel afraid

I am in paradise

Waterloo sunsets fine

Millions of people swarming like flies round waterloo underground

But terry and julie cross over the river

Where they feel safe and sound

And the dont need no friends

As long as they gaze on waterloo sunset

They are in paradise

KINKS.jpg

How's it going "dragster?" I really truly love THE KINKS but I just wish that the Davies Brothers could have gotten along a lot better rather than duke it out on stage like they did frequently so many times throughout the band's history. The Robinson Brothers from THE BLACK CROWES took right where the Davies Brothers left off and carried on the Rock n' Roll fighting tradition brilliantly. It would be a great idea to book both of these bands together and have them both tour together as the "WHO WILL FIGHT FIRST TOUR?" I would pay to see this tour, how bout all of you? ROCK ON!

That was excellent. It appears there are other youtube clips from the same performance. I'll check them out tomorrow. And the Apeman video was also excellent.

Yeah, I watched every Rainbow clip I could find on youtube. Great performance, I'll have to check if it's available on DVD.

I love Dave's backup vocals on this. Sadly it's not a live recording, but a great song.

Kinks - Supersonic Rocket Ship (1972)

Cool song, I've never heard it before.

BTW, this weekend I bought Sleepwalker, Misfits and Low Budget. Been listening to Sleepwalker and Misfits, both are sounding great. I still have to listen to Low Budget.

BTW, this weekend I bought Sleepwalker, Misfits and Low Budget. Been listening to Sleepwalker and Misfits, both are sounding great. I still have to listen to Low Budget.

can't wait to hear your in-depth and always perceptive impressions. i busted my copies out this weekend, what with all the ramalama ding-dong about them here. some things get better with age, like the kinks, and me.....

Yeah, I watched every Rainbow clip I could find on youtube. Great performance, I'll have to check if it's available on DVD.

Cool song, I've never heard it before.

Should I add those to my list then? :D

The Crowes already did something like that, they toured with Oasis.

how's it going "Jahfin?" DAMN, I missed that tour too! Now we need a "WHO WILL FIGHT FIRST" tour featuring OASIS, THE KINKS and THE BLACK CROWES, I would definitely pay a lot of money to see that one. ROCK ON!

can't wait to hear your in-depth and always perceptive impressions. i busted my copies out this weekend, what with all the ramalama ding-dong about them here. some things get better with age, like the kinks, and me.....

LOL, thanks beatbo, but I think I'll have to listen to them a couple of times to live up to your expectations. :D

I agree with you that some albums really grow with time. There are many albums by artists that was overlooked at the time and got bad reviews and all. But in time with another perspective they can even top the albums that got rave reviews back then.

Should I add those to my list then? :D

Not yet, my first list should be in priority. :D;)

LOL, thanks beatbo, but I think I'll have to listen to them a couple of times to live up to your expectations. :D

I agree with you that some albums really grow with time. There are many albums by artists that was overlooked at the time and got bad reviews and all. But in time with another perspective they can even top the albums that got rave reviews back then.

Not yet, my first list should be in priority. :D;)

:thumbsup: Gotcha!

Cool Kinks story! I'll have to get Misfits, sure seem like a great album.

Victoria can be found on Arthur, which is an outstanding record.

Yeah, i was so bummed! I had to give my best friend my Kinks ticket to sell at the show. I told her if you want to, just give it away (my guess is at that time the ticket cost either $6.50/$7.50 or $8.50, lol) because that was what ticket prices were back in 1979. So some lucky person got to see the show for free!