The Thin Lizzy Thread

The Bomber

Former Drive-By Trucker guitarist/vocalist/songwriter Jason Isbell and his band the 400 Unit tear Jailbreak a new asshole in concert. This is the only clip I could find of them doing it, unfortunately the sound quality isn't the best.

I adore Thin Lizzy, they were one of the first bands I ever got in to. I think Jailbreak was the first album I ever bought for myself!

Phil's death was a real shame, but he left a lot of good stuff behind. A lot of great songs; Killer on the loose, Southbound, Cowboy Song, the list goes on. If I had it my way, I would be wearing my Thin Lizzy t-shirt every day.

This video always sticks out in my mind, it has so much energy

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oDxjcZ71ZyI

Those are some sweet vids lads! :lol: I dunno if it's just me but i love the dual guitar solos at the end of Emerald on Live And Dangerous,the other great part is the best pick-up line ever,"Is there anybody here with a bit of Irish in them?Is there any of the girls who'd like a little more Irish in them?",Phil was great,brilliant musician all around,best artist this country has ever produced,they're almost as influential on me as zep.

R.I.P. Phil.

I love the multiple guitars, thats one of my favourite things about Elizabeth (as I like to call them).

Oh god yeah!They had the best guitar harmonies ever!2nd best is Page when he did multi-tracks.Lizzy amaze me,Scott Gorham,Brian Robertson,Eric Bell,Gary Moore,John Sykes,Snowy White,all their guitarists are underrated,very underrated,Phil of course was a musical,lyrical and poetic genius,as a lyricist he is second to none,as a vocalist his deep,smooth voice was perfect,as a bassist,few bassists could ever muster such a soulful bassline as the one in Dancing In The Moonlight,he is sorely missed,and he could play anything!I even like the synth-pop he did because it was so lyrically beautiful,Lizzy were,are,and always will be truly amazing

• 2 weeks later...
No Gary Moore lovers here??!

In terms of ability,this is the Lizzy hierarchy:

1.Gary Moore

2.Scott Gorham

3.Brian Robertson

4.John Sykes

5.Snowy White

6.Eric Bell

but in terms of who was best in their work with Elizabeth alone:

1.Scott

2.Brian

3.Gary

4.Eric

5.John

6.Snowy

Probably my least favorite Thin Lizzy song, not to mention one that Classic Rock radio played into the fuckin' ground eons ago. Like Stairway and Freebird and many others, I could go for years without ever having to hear it again. No fault of Thin Lizzy's own but that of radio programmers who are under the misguided notion that we want to hear the same exact shit over and over again.

I think I’ve heard that song more times then Stairway to Heaven, but its still puts a smile on my face. It probably never get dated and sound forever fresh in my ears.

Massacre is also brilliant tune.

Edited by The Wizard

Agreed B)

(can't decide if I would switch Eric and John though :unsure: )

I put Eric ahead because John only did one album in the studio,Eric did a good few,if you look at the classic songs,most are Scott & Brian,then Scott & Gary,then Scott & Eric,Scott was on all of the great line-ups and was second only to Phil for me,Brian was the other one from the "classic" line-up,Gary was just incredible,and i only put John behind Eric because Eric got them off the ground,i'd say John was more talented.

Ah come on,Metallica's version,while good,is just in existence because they think Thin Lizzy wrote it,its actually a very old Irish folk song,as old as the hills,The Dublinners covered it,then Thin Lizzy,then Metallica,all good versions,but i [personally] prefer Lizzy's

Ah come on,Metallica's version,while good,is just in existence because they think Thin Lizzy wrote it,its actually a very old Irish folk song,as old as the hills,The Dublinners covered it,then Thin Lizzy,then Metallica,all good versions,but i [personally] prefer Lizzy's

The Grateful Dead also do a very kick ass version of the song.

I just think it's a great song, and imagine that I would enjoy any version of it. It gets me fired up, for some reason. I saw a special on Ireland last night, where they said traditional Irish music is the most infectious and spirit lifting.

THINLIZZYWAREHOUSE80.jpg

Not thier best lineup but still a good show in a small venue Thin Lizzy warehouse New Orleans La 1980

WOW!You saw Lizzy with Phil,i'm impressed,i only saw the Sykes thing,must've been incredible,not their best line-up,but a good 'un none the less.

Same here; that song never fails to make me smile :D . I wish Thin Lizzy were played more often, they're a brilliant band.

I like John better but I suppose Eric does deserve the credit!

It gets so confusing when people talk about Brian because I don't know whether or not you mean Robertson of Downey! (I understand that here you are talking about Brian Robertson)

I love TBABIT as well,also WITJ,they were great.

I prefer John to Eric by far,but Eric did much more than John in the band,i showed my own picks for the best guitarists and the best just in the band alone,John only wrote one song (Cold Sweat) and did one album (Thunder & Lightning) with them,but he was better overall.

I just think it's a great song, and imagine that I would enjoy any version of it. It gets me fired up, for some reason. I saw a special on Ireland last night, where they said traditional Irish music is the most infectious and spirit lifting.

True,but being Irish i've heard enough and now i can only associate it with a teacher i used to liken to an Irish nazi,he cracked down on English-speakers for no reason and would only play Irish folk,he turned me almost completely off it,i like the celtic sound,but a little known fact:

The irish patterns of unusual hammer-ons and pull offs originated from a simple sound that was just massively fucked up by drunken musicians who would speedily return to the correct note creating a distinctly Irish feeling to it,just my theory,our musicians would bastardize a song but return directly to the messed up note to cover up,now its done intentionally.

I love Black Rose and Emerald though,great celtic rock songs.

Listen to Dearg Doom (Red Doom) by the Horslips,great celtic rock song.

According to the narrator of the show I watched, even at informal pub gatherings, the musicians are expected to be very familiar with the proper structure of the songs. Although it sounds like they are "jamming", improvision is not encouraged and usually a veteran player scrutinizes the rest as they go. Living in suburban New York, I have had little exposure to this part of culture - but it was very interesting and enjoyable to view and hear. I seem to be getting much more out of exploring music going backwards in time...

And if I told you that my Band was 'The Boys', that I met Phil and 'Tin Lizzy' as the band was originally called back at the beginning of the seventies. That was after the band 'The Boys', me and Phil hit it off right from the beginning, and I told him about my band and that I'd left the 'straight' world to join the 'Peace Convoy'. Phil was always courting me, he told me a lot of the songs for for me and on some, we sang about my traveller friends and my Family.

The year he died, I was having a lot of trouble with 'Thatcher', who smashed up the 'Peace Convoy' and me, I was locked away, no trial, no charges!

When I got out eventually, everything had moved on, the 'lads' didn't want to know me, they would rather employ someone the 'play the part' for them, than give me any recognition.

I expect they'll be the same here, there are just too many plagiarists doing that these days.

'Bomber'?, my Dad was in the R.A.F., 'Bomber Harris' is a war veteran, 'Stevie Harris' of 'Iran Maiden' claims he is 'Bomber Harris', there's another here and God know how many people using names connecting themselves to me/and or Phil.

I don't suppose you'll believe me, but I know the truth and I know that most of you never will.....

(That includes Phil's so-called 'friends', I know he wouldn't have shut me out the way they have, because the songs are about my life and family too, people they will never know.........)

Congratulate the plagiarist frauds if you will, to me they are blood sucking monsters, that don't know anything about the people the songs are about and never will.

Edited by Roisin Dubh

And if I told you that my Band was 'The Boys', that I met Phil and 'Tin Lizzy' as the band was originally called back at the beginning of the seventies. That was after the band 'The Boys', me and Phil hit it off right from the beginning, and I told him about my band and that I'd left the 'straight' world to join the 'Peace Convoy'. Phil was always courting me, he told me a lot of the songs for for me and on some, we sang about my traveller friends and my Family.

The year he died, I was having a lot of trouble with 'Thatcher', who smashed up the 'Peace Convoy' and me, I was locked away, no trial, no charges!

When I got out eventually, everything had moved on, the 'lads' didn't want to know me, they would rather employ someone the 'play the part' for them, than give me any recognition.

I expect they'll be the same here, there are just too many plagiarists doing that these days.

'Bomber'?, my Dad was in the R.A.F., 'Bomber Harris' is a war veteran, 'Stevie Harris' of 'Iran Maiden' claims he is 'Bomber Harris', there's another here and God know how many people using names connecting themselves to me/and or Phil.

I don't suppose you'll believe me, but I know the truth and I know that most of you never will.....

(That includes Phil's so-called 'friends', I know he wouldn't have shut me out the way they have, because the songs are about my life and family too, people they will never know.........)

Congratulate the plagiarist frauds if you will, to me they are blood sucking monsters, that don't know anything about the people the songs are about and never will.

I've stopped caring about you abusing me for nothing,I NEVER said i knew Phil,you do it all the time,look at you fucking screen name!I explained my name in my sig and in a PM to you AND a comment on your page,now if i say "Alright,i'm a shitpile who doesn't deserve an opinion on art and you were Phil's best and only friend ever and no one else deserves the honour of being allowed listen to his sacred music" will you shut up?

Oh,one quick guess,are you Phil's mum?If so,your son has fans,and no disrespect,but get over it,i'm allowed like his music.

Oh,wait,his mum wouldn't mind the fans as much as you do.

Pleased to see this Thin Lizzy thread.

Saw them many times over the years with their evolving line up, with Robbo, Gary Moore,Snowy White and finally with John Sykes providing that unmistakable twin lead sound along with, the ever constant, Scott Gorham.

One of the finest live bands ever, typified on 'The Live and Dangerous' recordings.

Was really saddened by Phil's passing but was lucky enough to meet the guys in Manchester back in 1982.

I have some treasured memorabelia I've kept hold of too.

Read something last year about Phil 's mum, Philomena , allowing Phil's revered black bass to be played for the first time since his death by a guy from an up and coming Irish band called The Answer - read JP was taking a lot of interest in them too.

I've stopped caring about you abusing me for nothing,I NEVER said i knew Phil,you do it all the time,look at you fucking screen name!I explained my name in my sig and in a PM to you AND a comment on your page,now if i say "Alright,i'm a shitpile who doesn't deserve an opinion on art and you were Phil's best and only friend ever and no one else deserves the honour of being allowed listen to his sacred music" will you shut up?

Oh,one quick guess,are you Phil's mum?If so,your son has fans,and no disrespect,but get over it,i'm allowed like his music.

Oh,wait,his mum wouldn't mind the fans as much as you do.

This IS 'ABUSE'!!!!!

My 'username' was given to me by Phil Lynott himself, his Mother is NOT his 'teen dream' etc, you are the usual IGNORANT PIG 'FAN'.........

The 'BAD' thing about Phil, was that he was a 'Headonist', now he's dead!!!! You are following the abusers that follow in his footsteps, that care NOTHING for the 'real' people in his life or that the songs are about them, all you care about is the Plagiarists and FRAUDS who make a claim on his

life or claim to be NATZI BOMBERS!!!! It suits you!

That Music is as much mine as it was Phil's, but you show me NO respect!

Go back to Hell with Hitler, where you belong with your NATZI WAR PLANE,

Don't throw your ignorant pig abuse at me!