Carouselambra Live question.

Pb Derigable

Ray Manzarek did it for the entire live career of the doors...I know Jonesy is just as capable...

Did Ray Manzarek attept to play Carouselambra? Like I said, Jones did it for numerous other songs live (STH, Trampled, No Quarter, MMH/SIBLY). But they clearly didn't work out that song live for Tour Over Europe for one reason or another (too tough to play the bass lines/keys at the same time? too long for the scaled-down, streamlined setlist?).

Did Ray Manzarek attept to play Carouselambra? Like I said, Jones did it for numerous other songs live (STH, Trampled, No Quarter, MMH/SIBLY).

Uh, you might have to ask him that, not sure. However, he did play keys and bass pedals for every doors song ever played live...so what do you think? You cant mess with Ray. He was a true professional, schooled at the prestigious Chicago Conservatory...i'll leave the rest of his credentials out, dont want to bore you. The point being is, I have as much respect for Jonesy's skill and professionalism as I do for Ray m, I was merely pointing out that if ray could do it and play keys for every song they played live, it would then stand to reason that jpj could do it for one song...

Uh, you might have to ask him that, not sure. However, he did play keys and bass pedals for every doors song ever played live...do what do you think? You cant mess with Ray. He was a true professional, scooled at the prestigious Chicago Conservatory...i'll leave the rest of his credentials out, dont want to bore you. The point being is, I have as much respect for Jonesy's skill and professionalism as I do for Ray m, I was merely pointing out that if ray could do it and play keys for every song they played live, it would then stand to reason that jpj could do it for one song...

But, have you listened to how complicated and awesome the bassline is to Carouselambra? I doubt its easy to recreate with bass pedals while playing the keyboards too. I know a cpl of Doors songs but dont really remember the basslines to em. Either way, its a mint song

It's doable.

JPJ could trigger samples or MIDI sequences with pedals while playing bass. The main keyboard riffs in the song are just repeated phrases. There is no need for him to physically play each note. For all I know the original performance used sequencers. It sure sounds like it in parts, like he just sets the key and it runs on its own.

He wouldn't have to go into fulltime keys until the 7 minute mark.

Im pretty sure it would have been similar to the version that’s one the rehearsal outtakes. With a simplified bass line just like when they did In the Evening live. Case closed.

Why do it with a simplified bassline? You mean without the best part of the song and possibly the best bassline JPJ plays? Im glad they didnt.

I'd say they'd do it mid-medley,in the middle of D & C instead of the crunge they could do Carouselambra,i'd love to see that! B)

I know it's crazy but hear me out,D & C,very heavy and powerful to long,introspective (In a stoned way) bow solo,a building bass and... BAM,full version of Carouselambra,extends D & C by 10 mins!What a great addition that would be to the live set!

:D

• 8 years later...
3 hours ago, Pilotmike said:

I would've paid extra money to see them play it, just to see Jimmy work the Gizmotron. That thing was awesome.

The Gizmotron was on the intro to In The Evening and wasn't used on Carouselambra. Jimmy didn't use it live when they performed In The Evening. (He just used the tremolo bar)

1 hour ago, sixpense said:

The Gizmotron was on the intro to In The Evening and wasn't used on Carouselambra. Jimmy didn't use it live when they performed In The Evening. (He just used the tremolo bar)

Meh, throw ITE in the imagined D&C medly as well and while we are at it, a bit of The Night Chicago Died & Billy, Don't be a Hero too..

On 10/24/2016 at 8:36 PM, IpMan said:

Meh, throw ITE in the imagined D&C medly as well and while we are at it, a bit of The Night Chicago Died & Billy, Don't be a Hero too..

Doesn't In The Light seem like a precursor to In The Evening?

Both start off with a drone with a "violin type" lead over them? 

3 hours ago, sixpense said:

Doesn't In The Light seem like a precursor to In The Evening?

Both start off with a drone with a "violin type" lead over them? 

I agree, however I actually prefer the original, harpsichord type into to Everyone Makes it Through to the finished version. The original intro to ITL sounded like a cross between his Lucifer Rising stuff and the Egyptian themed music as well. Interesting stuff.

Archived