Music Festival

lzfan715

Unfornuatly I missed any and all of these. That's why I started the thread.

It's a good thread. Give it a little time. I know there are posters out there with some great stories :)

Of course we copied the SF be-ins in Australia, but I still remember the sweet smell of the improvised 'coffee houses', hang out bars, incense, etc. at our annual high school Human Be-In(Gs) = as opposed to the PLASTIC meetings the "squares" used to dish out!! :)

Of course we copied the SF be-ins in Australia, but I still remember the sweet smell of the improvised 'coffee houses', hang out bars, incense, etc. at our annual high school Human Be-In(Gs) = as opposed to the PLASTIC meetings the "squares" used to dish out!! :)

Yeah ,they morphed into different forms and got laughable when as you say "The Squares" got involved. I just went to them because of the music...and they were free :D

So a fast showing then you leave?

Yes. For example we all meet at the local Barnes and Noble snack area at noon on Saturday. Everybody is wearing a black Led Zeppelin t-shirt. At 12:05 we all yell out in unison, "Does anyone remember laughter". Then we all disperse and go about our business. :)

Id be interested in any posts of anyone that was at Watkins Glen. They tried to build it up as the second coming of Woodstock back in the early 70s. I had a chance to get tickets as it isnt far from me but was still too young in the sense that I couldnt drive myself to it. If memory serves me correct Id say it was around 70-73, somewhere in that area. I know that The Dead and the Band and Allman Brothers were there or at least some of the headliners. The biggest heartbreak I ever had was having to tear up Pink Floyd tickets. I was 15, so it would have been around 72 and we had tickets to see them in Hamilton, Ontario/Canada. On the day of the concert our ride japped out on us. Boy were we pissed. I would learn later that there was much trouble at that show. Lots of senseless violence and pure bedlam.

Altamont Speedway 1969. Most people think the murder of Meredith Hunter took place during this song. It took place at the end of Under My Thumb. Author: jwko Keywords: the rolling stones Sympathy for Devil Altamont Speedway Concert 1969 Meredith Hunter Hells Angels Murde Added: January 28, 2008

Id be interested in any posts of anyone that was at Watkins Glen. They tried to build it up as the second coming of Woodstock back in the early 70s. I had a chance to get tickets as it isnt far from me but was still too young in the sense that I couldnt drive myself to it. If memory serves me correct Id say it was around 70-73, somewhere in that area. I know that The Dead and the Band and Allman Brothers were there or at least some of the headliners. The biggest heartbreak I ever had was having to tear up Pink Floyd tickets. I was 15, so it would have been around 72 and we had tickets to see them in Hamilton, Ontario/Canada. On the day of the concert our ride japped out on us. Boy were we pissed. I would learn later that there was much trouble at that show. Lots of senseless violence and pure bedlam.

was anyone at Watkins Glen?

Altamont Speedway 1969. Most people think the murder of Meredith Hunter took place during this song. It took place at the end of Under My Thumb. Author: jwko Keywords: the rolling stones Sympathy for Devil Altamont Speedway Concert 1969 Meredith Hunter Hells Angels Murde Added: January 28, 2008

I can't stand the Rolling Stones, but were you there?

was anyone at Watkins Glen?

My husband was at Watkins Glen and I shared what he has told me about it here:

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com//index.php?s...c=3767&st=0

He readily admits that because of the amount of partying that went on, his memories are hazy :hippy:

Another music fest (this one ill-fated):

My husband attended a fest that was up on the ID/WA border in the mid-70's. One of his high school friends was in college and living in Spokane and my husband was up there visiting him for the summer. Blue Oyster Cult was to perform at the fest along with some other bands (BTO?).

From what my husband can remember, the promoters took off for Canada with the money from the ticket sales. The bands weren't paid and they either didn't show or showed up and left. There were amps and other equipment already set up on stage.

According to my husband, when the crowd learned that there was to be no concert, a full-scale riot broke out. He said the kids/fans went on a rampage. Destroyed the equipment that was on the stage, set fires, broke into the concession stand and stole kegs of beer, and hot-wired a truck which they rode around until someone was run over. He said that it was the worst violence he'd ever seen anywhere. No cops anywhere! Everyone split leaving the kids to go berserk! He has some photos of that day but they are at his parents house.

That's terrible. Cops react when they aren't needed but when they are they don't seem to show.

MSG, did you say that your husband also went to Woodstock?

LZ, yeah, my husband said that he and his friends were actually frightened by the scale of the violence - especially when they watched the guy get run over and people getting hurt. I'll ask him again but I seem to remember him telling me that it didn't calm down until the place had been burned to the ground.

Interesting that you ask about Woodstock; we were just talking about it this weekend because we saw a documentary about Jimi Hendrix. No, he wasn't at Woodstock - like me, he was too young. I did mention that he was at the Watkins Glen fest in '73, though.

I've been to quite a few UK festivals over the years, from the anarchic free festival at Stonehenge, many times at Glastonbury, Reading and plenty of others. Glastonbury is certainly my favourite as it offers so much more than just big rock names (there must be over a dozen stages now, although it has grown out of all proportion to when I first started going in '83). Here is an aerial photo of Glastonbury, the main stage is the pyramid. There are at least two other open stages and lots of tented ones:

glastonbury.jpg

I went to Knebworth twice (sadly not in 1979), firstly to see Queen at what would be their last show with Freddie. This was the year after Live Aid and they were then a huge draw in Europe. They'd played two nights at Wembley Stadium, along with others, and Knebworth was an extra date. There was a huge crowd, possibly up to 200,000.

I also attended the 1990 Knebworth Silver Clef Award Winners show. Pink Floyd headlined; also playing were Paul McCartney, Robert Plant (with Jimmy Page), Dire Straits, Genesis, Eric Clapton, Elton John, Status Quo and, er, Cliff Richard & The Shadows. The weather was very bad in patches, plenty of rain, and Floyd's circular screen, which had been lying flat above the stage all day, collected rain water like a giant paddling pool. The screen was in danger of bursting so a decision was made to remove the actual screen from the circular frame. So when the Floyd played there were none of their films showing:

Archived