A Brief Interrogation

fuzzman

1. How long have you been listening to Led Zeppelin?

Since about 1979/80

2. What would you say is your favourite album of theirs?

Tie between Presence & IV

3. Your favourite song(s)?

Candy Store Rock & Battle Of Evermore

4. In terms of design, what would you say is their most powerful album sleeve?

Presence

5. What colours or colour schemes would you generally associate with the band?

Light & shade ;)

6. During which period of their career would you say they were at their creative peak?

From IV through HOTH, PG & Presence, so roughly 1971 to 1976

7. In general, what do you think would be the most effective means of introducing the band’s music to the younger generations?

Don't mess with it. The music is its own medium and already exists in its own space. Trying to 'package' or 'market' it can only cheapen its value. When people are ready to listen to it, they will find it - folks have been finding without trouble for the 28 years since the band broke up.

8. Who or what made you start listening to them?

My friend Neil Hayes, in 5th form at school. He played me Zeppelin, Hendrix & Sabbath.

9. Apart from the obvious iconic image of the zeppelin, what do you think is the strongest form of imagery associated with the band?

The four symbols - no contest really, is there?

10. Finally, in no more than five words, what do you love about Led Zeppelin?

Drama. Light. Shade. Passion. Beauty.

about 32 years, I think.

2 What would you say is your favourite album of theirs?

Presence

These are a few of my favourites today..Trampled Underfoot,In the evening,Your time is gonna come, Celebration day,all of Presence

Presence

Black and white,stark and simple.

6. During which period of their career would you say they were at their creative peak?

1968-1980

7. In general, what do you think would be the most effective means of introducing the band’s music to the younger generations?

there's no 'simple'method other than let them hear it. More radio play? Availability for legal downloads probably helps.

heard songs from Zep4 on radio and at a youth club.Then linked 'top of the pops' theme with Zeppelin...

9. Apart from the obvious iconic image of the zeppelin, what do you think is the strongest form of imagery associated with the band?

Presence object and swansong logo

their music and their performances.

Thanks everybody, I massively appreciate this.

Since I was 13 (1973), the year Houses of the Holy was released.

2. What would you say is your favorite album of theirs?

1975 Physical Graffiti (double studio album).

I remember in the very early 80’s (long before CD’s and CD Box Sets), a local radio station did a number called “Taken It to the Streets”.

Each week, they would ask people different questions.

One week, the question was “If you were stranded on a deserted island and could only have one album to listen too, what would it be?”

Mine was Physical Graffiti, since it was a double album.

Double the pleasure and many, many great songs!!!

3. Your favorite song(s)?

Kashmir (my all-time favorite).

Close 2nd Are: Achilles Last Stand & Carouselambra.

Followed by:

When the Levee Breaks

Stairway to Heaven

Ten Years Gone

Over the Hills and Far Away

Since I’ve Been Loving You

Whole Lotta Love

Dazed and Confused

LZ ‘III’ is cool, with the turning wheel. Also, Presence with all the different pictures and the placement of the “Object”, ‘Physical Graffiti’ with the windows along with all six (6) different album covers of ‘In Through the Out Door’.

Black, brown, gray & white.

1969 (LZ- I) through 1975 (Presence). However, Joneys creative peak had just been unleashed on ‘In Through the Out Door’.

What is each individual’s musical taste?

Start with ‘Mothership’, since it has most of the more popular songs and spans their entire career (1969-1979).

Led Zeppelin has at least one song, which covers almost every musical spectrum imaginable!!!

Once exposed to ‘Mothership’, will lead them too Led Zeppelin’s other material.

Just hearing songs from the local radio stations (in 1973) and some close friends during this time.

The ‘Led Zeppelin’ semi blocked logo and the Swan Song Record label picture.

“Well versed all around musically” and/or “Covering all spectrums of music”.

1971 but really became a fan when I heard Black Dog for the first time.

Never liked Coda. Not 100% partial to Zep3. But love all the rest including the live The Song Remains the Same.

Fool in the Rain. Becasue I'm such a big fan, i think this song is very under-rated. How do you go from Whole Lotta Love to that? Unbelieveable!

Physical Graffitti

Black & Brown

IV through Physical Graffitti.

Zeppelin IV re-release with some kind of innovative high technology re-engineered sound that is easily accessible to the masses. Parents will buy it. Also gaming technology might be the way to go, or tie the two together, re-engineered sound technology tied to a game.

I heard Black Dog at a house party back in '1975 and from there it was over. I went from IV to II to I to III to Houses to Physical to Song etc.

The band members on popular magazine covers and t-shirts (particularly Page and Plant) in all of their unmistakable glory which spawned a generation of '80's hair bands.

Their music never gets old.

Hi. I was just wondering if some of you fine folks would like to answer a few questions relating to the band. I'm doing a graphic design project on the Zep and I've got to produce a multitude of items for a mock promotional campaign, so it's here that I'm going to start some market research. I'm sort of basing the project on the Mothership compilation, only with a redesigned advertising campaign.

Thanks ever so much if you could help me out. It's only ten simple questions afterall. :)

28 years...

The first one

Heartbreaker

Since I've Been Loving You

Kashmir

The first one

Burgundy

1971-1972

Show kids how their current music wouldn't existe without Zeppelin. Remind them that Rock and Roll wasn't a Cadillac commercial.

My buddy Robert in his wood-panelled basement in Montreal. We were 12 or 13 in 1979.

The symbols from the 4th album.

Uh...the guitar, voice, bass, drums, the sum of all fourt.

Since 1970, when I heard "Immigrant Song" on the radio.

Physical Graffiti.

No Quarter, Achilles Last Stand

Physical Graffiti.

Never thought about that one.

I think the reissues of the band's material, while useless for us old farts, has brought the music to a younger audience.

See #1.

That would depend on the individual songs.

Diversity and commitment to perfection.

Since 1970

This is a hard one -- I would have to say depends on the events in my life when albums were released. Probably III

See #2 but I think overall Kashmir

IV

never though about that. Earth tones ?

69-71

One way I've introduced the band to my nieces and nephews is playing their albums when they are visiting and telling them stories about concerts, etc.

I started by listening to the all album station in my city in 1969--then it was a rebel thing...against the soft rock of the day.

Beauty

They changed music forever.

off and on for 25 years..seriously on for 1-1/2

can't pick just one

Bron Y Aur, IMTOD, GTC, Gallows Pole, Immigrant Song, Levee, Thank You, That's the Way, No Quarter, Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, STH, Ten Years Gone, Achilles Last Stand, Good Times Bad Times, Hey Hey What Can I Do

III

brown, green, orange, purple

can't-it's all amazing

a much better variety of songs on the radio; bring back Closet Classics on MTV

my step-brother

Robert-all of him, Jimmy with his bow in laser lights, runes, man with sticks

passion power beauty integrity phenomenal talent

Sounds like a great project. But some of your questions need limiting to some degree since you are asking about such a huge degree of variance (i.e. your favorite LZ song(s)). For some of us it could take forever to decide because it can be constantly changing. And you may get way more information than you need making it difficult for you to go through or judge your data (but you may also get some terrific information). This seems like an impossible task for me, but I'll give it a try just for you.

Thanks ever so much if you could help me out. It's only ten simple questions afterall.

1. How long have you been listening to Led Zeppelin? 1976ish

2. What would you say is your favourite album of theirs? Physical Graffiti

3. Your favourite song(s)? In no paticular order: Custard Pie, In My Time of Dying, Kashmir, Bron-yr-aur Stomp, In the Evening, South Bound Saurez, Fool in the Rain, All My Love, D'yer Mak'er, Hangman, Nobody's Fault But Mine, Stairway to Heaven, Black Dog, Living Loving Maid (She's Just A Woman), Dazed and Confused, What is and What should Never Be. I give up, the list is too long.

4. In terms of design, what would you say is their most powerful album sleeve? Led Zeppelin II

5. What colours or colour schemes would you generally associate with the band? Blue Jean, Black, Red

6. During which period of their career would you say they were at their creative peak? 68-75

7. In general, what do you think would be the most effective means of introducing the band’s music to the younger generations? Connect it with I-Pod, I-Phone, I-Lost my mind?

8. Who or what made you start listening to them? RADIO

9. Apart from the obvious iconic image of the zeppelin, what do you think is the strongest form of imagery associated with the band? The Swan Song Emblem (Poppy to some)

10. Finally, in no more than five words, what do you love about Led Zeppelin? Lyrics, Music, Feelings, Fantasy, Mystery

Best of luck!! :D

since 1986 (21 yrs)

presence, if i had to pick one

achilles last stand

In through the outdoor

orange, white, black, brown, grey, cement colour (?),(from presence album cover)

aug 1968 - sep 1980

obviously more radio play on british radio, always listened to the radio as a boy in the late '70s and early '80's; never once heard a zep tune.

i searched for a fresh sound to listen to, picked up led zep II on the off chance and was hooked.

plant and page bowed back on each others shoulder blades whilst playing live, bonhams flailing arms, jones' discreet distance at the back.

freshness, excitement, passionate, mantric, pioneers

since '73, like 35 years

That's hard! III, Grafitti and Presence

Lemon Song, Tangerine, Levee, SRTS, Rain Song, Rover, Down by the Seaside, In the Light, Achillies, Nobody's Fault, Hots on for Nowhere, Royal Orleans, In the Evening

Grafitti, Presence and ITTOD(Multiple covers!)

Black and Red

During the '70s (too hard question!)

Video is what they "listen" to.

Come on! It was 1973! Everyone loved the Zeppelin (except disco dorks)

The band's symbols from the fourth album

Powerful, Mystical, Beautiful, Intelligent, Challenging

about one year

III

immigrant song, gallows pole, bron-yr-aur stomp, any good dazed and confused live versions

IV(Zoso)

nothin specific, the full spectrum if anything

'70-'73

playing zeppelin at parties, learning how to play pages guitar compositions, and just feeling the energy of the music seem to do the trick

i got into a few songs and wanted to learn to play them myself. from there i got into all the rest which i hadn't heard before

the four symbols, or if videos count i think the song remains the same dvd is a great platform to see zeppelin 'through their eyes'

originality (even with the many tunes they cover), energy, passion, musicianship, overall love for music. and i dont care if it wasnt 5 words :)

1. How long have you been listening to Led Zeppelin? Since mid 1970's

2. What would you say is your favourite album of theirs? Physical Graffiti

3. Your favourite song(s)? Today it's Dazed and Confused

4. In terms of design, what would you say is their most powerful album sleeve? Led Zeppelin I

5. What colours or colour schemes would you generally associate with the band? Black/White

6. During which period of their career would you say they were at their creative peak? Early to mid 70's

7. In general, what do you think would be the most effective means of introducing the band’s music to the younger generations? Reunite for a World Tour

8. Who or what made you start listening to them? I heard Stairway to Heaven on the radio... which made me buy Zep IV.

9. Apart from the obvious iconic image of the zeppelin, what do you think is the strongest form of imagery associated with the band? The Zeppelin crashing on the first album.

10. Finally, in no more than five words, what do you love about Led Zeppelin? Jimmy, Robert, Jonesy, John, Jason

Since I was 12/13 - so about 9/10 years ago.

PG.

The Rover, Sick Again, Trampled Underfoot, Kashmir, Dazed and Confused, How Many More Times, We're Gonna Groove, Tangerine, Friends, Since I've Been Loving You, Achilles Last Stand, Thank You...

III

Blue, Black, White, Red, Purple.

'68-'75.

Radio. iTunes wasn't a bad idea, either.

Dad, he played Trampled Underfoot and I fell in love with it.

Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, Four Symbols, Double Neck.

Page, Plant, Bonham, Jones.

Hope I can help!

1. How long have you been listening to Led Zeppelin? In 2003 I was 16 years old and that's when I bought my first Zeppelin CD, I'm almost 21, so that's close to 5 years now.

2. What would you say is your favourite album of theirs? Led Zeppelin IV

3. Your favourite song(s)? Dazed and Confused, Immigrant Song, That's The Way, Bron Y Aur Stomp, Kashmir, Black Dog, The Battle of Evermore, What Is And What Should Never Be, Night Flight

4. In terms of design, what would you say is their most powerful album sleeve? Presence

5. What colours or colour schemes would you generally associate with the band? brown, grey, red, white

6. During which period of their career would you say they were at their creative peak? 1970 - 1976

7. In general, what do you think would be the most effective means of introducing the band’s music to the younger generations? Unfortunately music appreciation classes are pretty much unheard of now, so I suppose just showcasing the band's work on television and playing their hits on the classic rock radio stations. The MySpaces, Facebooks, and the YouTube's all have groups or pages that pay homage to Led Zeppelin, which could spark interest in younger generations, seeing that's where they get their music from.

8. Who or what made you start listening to them? I grew up listening to my mother's collection of classic rock. Although Zeppelin wasn't something she had a huge collection of, one 70's band leads to listening to another 70's rock band and eventually I discovered I had been actually listening to Led Zeppelin my whole life unknowingly. There was a Time Life commercial and they had a half hour segment on Zeppelin's hits, and I couldn't believe it was "them" that I had been listening to and was admiring so much.

9. Apart from the obvious iconic image of the zeppelin, what do you think is the strongest form of imagery associated with the band? The Hermit

10. Finally, in no more than five words, what do you love about Led Zeppelin? A rush of passion, adrenaline.

Don't know if you're still collecting responses, but it looks like fun so here goes...

A little over 20 years

JUST ONE??? Hmmm, I'll have to go with Physical Graffiti

When the Levee Breaks, The Rover, No Quarter, Going to California, Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, Ramble On...

Led Zeppelin III AND IV

GREAT question: deep blue with beams of dusty light, dark red, and very bright light, which to me connote mystery/chemistry, passion, and joy...honestly I don't know how they do it, but whatever it is, they've got "IT"

1968-1980, Dec. 10, 2007 :D ; though since I listed PG earlier, 1974-75

Just put the music on with people around and watch them come closer. They can't help themselves. Internet is great, especially with Facebook, My Space, and You Tube. Torrent sites are blazing with their concerts. These are the ways people connect rapidly today, but the longevity has been and always will be because of the quality of the music, no matter the format of dissemination

At some point back in the day, I used to be into Def Leppard, and in wanting to know their influences (ie/ Mott the Hoople LOL), I stumbled upon Led Zeppelin, leaving poor DL in the dust. Never took to MtH. Surprisingly...

The four symbols, the font of the band name, and the old man with the sticks on his back

An alchemy of the numinous + intelligence + instinct + creativity + passion

This is a really cool project. Thanks for letting us share our thoughts, it was a joy to do. GOOD LUCK, and let us know how things go!

Cheers

Hi. I was just wondering if some of you fine folks would like to answer a few questions relating to the band. I'm doing a graphic design project on the Zep and I've got to produce a multitude of items for a mock promotional campaign, so it's here that I'm going to start some market research. I'm sort of basing the project on the Mothership compilation, only with a redesigned advertising campaign.

Thanks ever so much if you could help me out. It's only ten simple questions afterall. :)

39 years

physical graffiti

the ocean

Led Zep 3

GRAY AND WHITE

72-75

Judgeing by this website i would say thats already well on its way

My first cousin Woody also introduced me to the Allman Brothers and Jethro Tull

The Four Symbols

power,visuals,power

Since before I was four so about 11.5 years.

Led Zeppelin 4.

Stairway To Heaven, The Rain Song, Ramble On, Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, South Bound Saurez

In Through The Out Door. It's perfect because the bag creates the mystique of what cover will you get, showing the power and mystique of the band. The bar scene is very simple, and shows you just how it is. The band itself isn't complex. Just four guys, there to make music.

Navy, Black, Orange, Yellow, Red, Rich Green.

Physical Graffiti. They were really at a constant in their creativity but PG just shows the vastness of it.

I don't know. I am the younger generation but I learned about it from my dad. I'd say tv, but I do NOT want Zep on tv like that.

My dad.

The Object from Presence

Power, mystique, magic, whirlwind, majestic

Hope I helped.

1. How long have you been listening to Led Zeppelin? Since about 1974

2. What would you say is your favourite album of theirs? The Song Remains the Same -

3. Your favourite song(s)?Achilles Last Stand, Black Dawg , Whole Lotta Love , Dazed and Confused (Live)

4. In terms of design, what would you say is their most powerful album sleeve? Houses of the Holy

5. What colours or colour schemes would you generally associate with the band? Black and Gold

6. During which period of their career would you say they were at their creative peak?1969-72

Allowing some new artist to work with them and their old stuff. Maybe someone from a different genre like the Puff Daddy Kashmir track (Come With Me) could breathe new life. Also just expose them to more than STH then they will get it.

8. Who or what made you start listening to them? My older brothers and sisters listened to them. Plus there was no escaping their Presence in The Seventies.

9. Apart from the obvious iconic image of the zeppelin, what do you think is the strongest form of imagery associated with the band? The symbols. In high school kids would tag symbols all over the parks where we lived. Our cross country course even had a hill named for this Physical Graffiti. We called it Misty Mountain Hop after the symbols that were emblazoned on the abandoned building at the top.

10. Finally, in no more than five words, what do you love about Led Zeppelin? Wanton heedless, reckless abandonment Music.

1. How long have you been listening to Led Zeppelin? About 30 years

2. What would you say is your favourite album of theirs? Mmm, LZ III

3. Your favourite song(s)? Kashmir, Thankyou, and The Immigrant song have always had the ability to stop me in my tracks. Whole lotta love is awesome, love Gallows Pole and Bron y aur Stomp, Celebration Day and the Lemon Song have amazing leads, guess I could go on and on

4. In terms of design, what would you say is their most powerful album sleeve? LZIV

5. What colours or colour schemes would you generally associate with the band? Dark earth tones

6. During which period of their career would you say they were at their creative peak? Really all the way through, though I favor early to mid 70's

7. In general, what do you think would be the most effective means of introducing the band’s music to the younger generations? Just like I heard it, on the radio

8. Who or what made you start listening to them? My radio. Would listen in my room for hours waiting for a LZ song instead of doing homework

9. Apart from the obvious iconic image of the zeppelin, what do you think is the strongest form of imagery associated with the band? The zeppelin

10. Finally, in no more than five words, what do you love about Led Zeppelin? They touch me deep inside where no one else ever has or ever will. Sorry about breaking your word limit.

Thanks everybody, I massively appreciate this. Thank you, I love the chance to talk about LZ any chance I get! Have a good one.

I was born in '67 and I just remember them as always being there since early childhood. I'd have to say, almost my entire life. 40 years.

Really got into them in the late 70's though.

That is such a tough question. It's like picking a favorite child.

I'd have to say III and Physical Graffiti if backed against the wall.

It would be easier just to list the 5 songs I don't like by Zep. :)

Some of my favorites:

Dazed & Confused

Kashmir

The Rain Song

Ten Years Gone

In The Light

Gallows Pole

Tangerine

Battle of Evermore

When the Levee Breaks

For Your Life

You mean cover right?

Physical Graffiti

Can't really think of any color schemes that come to mind.

69-76

Tell them to sit down, smoke a joint, and have a listen to the best music they will ever hear. :)

Seriously though, I think LZ's rep has always gotten around by word of mouth and think it's been very effective.

The radio

For me that would be the Swan Song or the 4 symbols, especially Jimmy's Zoso.

I could narrow it down to 2~Jimmy Page B)

but here's the other 3 words

Depth, heavy, timeless.

Since 1979

Physical Graffiti

Ten Years Gone

Kashmir

In The Light

Babe I'm Gonna Leave You

Since I've Been Loving You

Bron YR-Aur Stomp

When The Levee Breaks

The Song Remains The Same

Rain Song

Lemon Song

In My Time Of Dying

Custard Pie

Sick Again

Achilles Last Stand

For Your Life

Tea For One

Carouselambra

I'm Gonna Crawl

Wearing and Tearing

Travelling Riverside Blues

-These are some of my favs.

Houses of the Holy

5. What colours or colour schemes would you generally associate with the band?Various ones. Black, brown, grey and red

6. During which period of their career would you say they were at their creative peak? 1971-75

Years ago it would be radio, but not anymore. The internet is now the most effective way. Zep's entire catalog is on iTunes so that's a good place to start. A site like this is very good and the direction and design Sam is putting into this will make it amazing shortly

In the fall of 1979 for some reason I switched from listening to Top 40 hits on AM radio and went to FM. It was about the time In Through The Out Door was released and I really liked In The Evening. I loved that solo. The whole song was quite powerful. Before that I only knew STH. I liked it but never got into Zep before that. I guess I was too young. I was 15 when ITTOD was released.

Jimmy's Zo-so symbol, Swan Song image, Led Zeppelin logo that originally came from Houses (on an obi strip on vinyl release) and The Object from Presence

Their originality, light and shade

I was born in '67 and I just remember them as always being there since early childhood. I'd have to say, almost my entire life. 40 years.

Really got into them in the late 70's though.

That is such a tough question. It's like picking a favorite child.

I'd have to say III and Physical Graffiti if backed against the wall.

It would be easier just to list the 5 songs I don't like by Zep. :)

Some of my favorites:

Dazed & Confused

Kashmir

The Rain Song

Ten Years Gone

In The Light

Gallows Pole

Tangerine

Battle of Evermore

When the Levee Breaks

For Your Life

You mean cover right?

Physical Graffiti

Can't really think of any color schemes that come to mind.

69-76

7. In general, what do you think would be the most effective means of introducing the band's music to the younger generations?

Tell them to sit down, smoke a joint, and have a listen to the best music they will ever hear. :)

Seriously though, I think LZ's rep has always gotten around by word of mouth and think it's been very effective.

The radio

For me that would be the Swan Song or the 4 symbols, especially Jimmy's Zoso.

I could narrow it down to 2~Jimmy Page B)

but here's the other 3 words

Depth, heavy, timeless.

I wanted to add something to this question.

7. In general, what do you think would be the most effective means of introducing the band's music to the younger generations?

My son is 9 and he loves Zeppelin. Kashmir is his favorite song and many of my LZ is downloaded to his ipod.

It's timeless and my love for Zep, and love of Zep my hubby has has been handed down to our son.

Great music will never go bad.

Since Birth, I was born the day of our lord June 12,1968 and I swear I heard the doctor playing Zeppelin in the background.

It's a Toss Up between II,IV(ZoSo) and Houses of the Holy.. take your pick

Once again too many to list. I recently started playing guitar so I'll go

Over the Hills and Far away for the moment.. BUT WAY TOO MANY TO LIST(RambleOn, DyerMaker,BATTLE OF EVERMORE)

ZoSo.. the Hooded Druid with the Lantern is burnt into your consciousness.

Black,Grey and Light Blue- Wizardry seems to play a theme.

Not sure on Timelines I was like 7 <g> ZoSo... Houses of the Holy what's that ? 75-77?

First OFF LET them Hear it but given Tech nowadays.. You have to get it on YouTube and Itunes... Apple's king.

First song I remember hearing was Ramble ON. The Tolkien Influence really hit home since I'm a huge fan and so was the band. Plus the Icarus design T(Honorable mention for Graphics category) .. I'll always remember that one.

Just said it last question.. the Icarus with his head pointed skyward figure and the Druid obviously.

UNRIVALED INFINITELY GREATEST ROCK BAND.

Archived