Pet Peeves

Hotplant

Maybe because mothers are the ones who give birth to the children. :) Moms are also predominately (now realize, i'm not saying this is in every case) the ones who nurture the children. If that's not enough for you, how about the fact that there are way more "dead beat dads" in the world than dead beat moms. Men can "forget" they have a child and move on like it's nothing. One that note, my father is fantastic, but mom will always be more special to me.

I think in addition to Father's day we should have a DEAD BEAT DAD Day! Oh yeah, dead beat dads are a definite pet peeve!

There are plenty of lousy mothers out there too even if they don't abandon the kids. And there are plenty of great dads out there too.

Just saying it shouldn't be hyped more than Fathers day.

Is not rammed down my throat. I think your best bet is to man up and let the women and children go first my friend.

Trust me on this one, 1000 hungry mothers can chew you up and spit you out. When you can have a baby, and feel that bond only mothers and their babies share. Then and only then can you make judgment on how they don't deserve a Mothers Day. As far as I care Fathers Day is cool for another BBQ.

Let the girls and kids go first Spats ;)

I didn't say they don't deserve a Mothers Day. Just saying that Fathers Day is not less important. And should be hyped just as much which it isn't. Cool for another BBQ??? :rolleyes:

There are plenty of lousy mothers out there too even if they don't abandon the kids. And there are plenty of great dads out there too.

But the point is, most women don't abandon their children, too many men do. However, i have come to realize that it may be for the best that many of those children who are abandoned by their fathers are BETTER OFF! :)

Mother's Day isn't hyped more than Father's Day - get over it :blink:

But the point is, most women don't abandon their children, too many men do. However, i have come to realize that it may be for the best that many of those children who are abandoned by their fathers are BETTER OFF! :)

And there are plenty of kids who would be better off being abandoned by their mothers too. Not all women that raise their kids are great mothers.

Mother's Day isn't hyped more than Father's Day - get over it :blink:

I have compared the coverage for a couple years. There is a big difference. Just watch tv and listen to the radio when Fathers Day comes around next.

I have compared the coverage for a couple years. There is a big difference. Just watch tv and listen to the radio when Fathers Day comes around next.

I just think you have major anger issues against women. You take every available opportunity to say something negative about them. It's really boring and exhausting. We're not all bad just like not all men are bad. Some are, some aren't.

I just think you have major anger issues against women. You take every available opportunity to say something negative about them. It's really boring and exhausting. We're not all bad just like not all men are bad. Some are, some aren't.

I agree. I am not saying all women are bad.

I was just giving a pet peeve. I have plenty of pet peeves that have nothing to do with women.

Do you realize that over 80% of the posts on this page are you whining about something?

God damn.

It wouldn't have been that way if people had not challenged my pet peeve. I accept everyone else's pet peeves.

My favorite movie theatre in Toronto has been The Scotia Bank Theatre. it got all the best movies, best seating and so on. But now a a Big AMC theatre opened up and now it's taking most of the good movies. And to top it off i have coupons for The Scotia Bank and not the AMC. How does this work. Why is AMC getting all the best movies/ Do they pay more money to show them???

With you on that one, YC. :yesnod:

And guess what, pigs flew--I agree with Spats that Mothers' Day is a bigger deal in the media than Fathers' Day, possibly because it's been observed for far longer. This does not mean I have any other thoughts on, attitude to, opinion of, or relationship with Spats whatsoever. I just mention it in the spirit of full disclosure. Please don't thank me for the support, Spats, or I won't dare show my face here again.

I didn't say they don't deserve a Mothers Day. Just saying that Fathers Day is not less important. And should be hyped just as much which it isn't. Cool for another BBQ??? :rolleyes:

I tell you what-When you have a child, you can determine in your household whatever holidays you wish to celebrate or not celebrate with that child. Or which holidays you wish to make a big deal of or not.

The fact of the matter is, when it comes to raising children, most of the time, it's the mother who does the majority of the work. Which is why people bond with their mothers, and want to give their mothers a special day. Who are you to judge a person if they want to celebrate their mom or not? If you want to ignore your Mom on Mother's Day, and spend a ton of money on your Dad on Father's Day, fine. More power to you. But don't harsh on other people's day.

Mary Hartman, I know. I try to ignore him, but when the predictability and ignorance is so prevalent, I just can't.

My pet peeve:

I just got done reading a newstory that's less than 300 words, and found about 40 grammatical errors. YOU'RE JOURNALISTS! SINCE YOUR WRITE FOR A LIVING, YOU SHOULD KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THEIR/THEY'RE/THERE; PEAK/PEEK; NELSONS/NELSON'S; FAMILY/FAMILY'S; AFFECT/EFFECT...

and also, a man named "Peter" was mentioned, but he was called "Pete." I know he doesn't go by "Pete" because his wife was one of my beloved professors.

I could go on, but that means I'd have to pay more attention to it and re-read it. :rolleyes:

Edited by manderlyh

I tell you what-When you have a child, you can determine in your household whatever holidays you wish to celebrate or not celebrate with that child. Or which holidays you wish to make a big deal of or not.

The fact of the matter is, when it comes to raising children, most of the time, it's the mother who does the majority of the work. Which is why people bond with their mothers, and want to give their mothers a special day. Who are you to judge a person if they want to celebrate their mom or not? If you want to ignore your Mom on Mother's Day, and spend a ton of money on your Dad on Father's Day, fine. More power to you. But don't harsh on other people's day.

Well said, Bonnie!

^ @ Manderlyh: Not that it's the bastion of journalism, but Yahoo news has been pretty brutal of late. I get that deadlines are much tighter online, but couldn't they hire a copy editor? Or replace the ones they have??

Pet Peeve: I must have hopped on the stupid train because assembling my new printer has proven to be rocket science despite pictures and written instructions. I really don't know how to get the damn ink in :slapface: :slapface: . Anybody need some furniture assembled? :D

Edited by Patrycja

I blame the over abundance of grammatical and spelling errors these days in the print and web media on spellcheck. I think there's also probably less people doing more jobs which leads to not having the time to thoroughly proofread copy before it's published.