Pet Peeves

Hotplant

And how was your trip? I hope the weather wasn't too unkind to you? :unsure:

My pet peeve, though still in keeping with accents, is when people try and imitate our accent and get phrases/words badly wrong. Makes it all the more cringeworthy.

Cum en den Luv, give us a clue den, watcha meem by it all, can ya post a link matey, cor blimey me ole mucker. :wtf:

Regards, Danny

Being a native of North Carolina, I can't say I've ever heard anyone I know say "crick" instead of "creek", at least knowingly. The only places I've ever heard it are on old reruns of The Beverly Hillbillies and the old saying, "if the good Lord's willin' and the crick don't rise..." That's not to say it isn't used in the mountainous region of the state but even then, I can't say I've ever really noticed it up there either.

Being a native of North Carolina, I can't say I've ever heard anyone I know say "crick" instead of "creek", at least knowingly. The only places I've ever heard it are on old reruns of The Beverly Hillbillies and the old saying, "if the good Lord's willin' and the crick don't rise..." That's not to say it isn't used in the mountainous region of the state but even then, I can't say I've ever really noticed it up there either.

Cum en den Luv, give us a clue den, watcha meem by it all, can ya post a link matey, cor blimey me ole mucker. :wtf:

Regards, Danny

Example: when people say 'bullocks' instead of 'bollocks'. If you can't say it... just don't. Argh. I'm sure if you look for them, you'll find plenty of examples on this site.

Yeah, I've never noticed any Southerners saying "crick" (although that's not to say none of them do), but I have heard Midwesterners (specifically my grandma, who's from Nebraska, and my dad) say crick. Can't tell you how many times I've heard about fishin' in the crick behind the barn, heh.

I love Southern accents, myself...sometimes you wonder if the Alabamans and Mississippians are ever going to spit it out, but they make it sound good while they're hummin' along. :D And I love that North Carolina "O" sound...it's almost kinda English sounding! There is one that cracks me up a little because it's so different, though, and that's the Virginia Piedmont accent. I can't begin to explain it...look up Hermie Sadler or Ward Burton on YouTube (they're NASCAR drivers), and you'll see what I mean. My dad and I try to say stuff like Hermie does all the time, but whoa...we just can't imitate that!

As long as we're insulting each other's accents, can I say that Chicago accents drive me nuts? For a long time I didn't know that Chicago had its own accent, but eventually I heard one and was like, "What in GOD'S name is THAT?!?!" It's like that upper Midwest "oyah" accent thrown together with the Brooklyn/New Joisey accent - weirrrrd! Feel free to make fun of Valley Girls all you want, now. ;)

As long as we're insulting each other's accents, can I say that Chicago accents drive me nuts? For a long time I didn't know that Chicago had its own accent, but eventually I heard one and was like, "What in GOD'S name is THAT?!?!" It's like that upper Midwest "oyah" accent thrown together with the Brooklyn/New Joisey accent - weirrrrd!

That is not how our accent sounds at all. It's your typical Midwestern accent, although far less pronounced than Wisconsin or Minnesota, places with Scandinavian immigrant history. We're the watered down version of that. The most pronounced Chicago accent I've ever heard belongs to our esteemed mayor, and even then I don't see where you're coming from. We most certainly do not talk like we're from New York. We pronounce all our letters.

That is not how our accent sounds at all. It's your typical Midwestern accent, although far less pronounced than Wisconsin or Minnesota, places with Scandinavian immigrant history. We're the watered down version of that. The most pronounced Chicago accent I've ever heard belongs to our esteemed mayor, and even then I don't see where you're coming from. We most certainly do not talk like we're from New York. We pronounce all our letters.

Yeah, but you've got that "Da Bears" thing going on. You're right, it's mostly Midwestern, but there's just that hint of the "th" to "d" sound, plus a couple of other things that aren't readily coming to mind, that differentiate you (at least to me) from the rest of the Midwest. You definitely don't say things like "New Joisey," no, but there's that extra kind of harder bite to it that makes it sound unlike the other Midwestern states to me. I don't know...hard to explain. And sorry to pick on your accent - I knew somebody here was going to be from Chicago, darn it.

Yeah, I've never noticed any Southerners saying "crick" (although that's not to say none of them do), but I have heard Midwesterners (specifically my grandma, who's from Nebraska, and my dad) say crick. Can't tell you how many times I've heard about fishin' in the crick behind the barn, heh.

I love Southern accents, myself...sometimes you wonder if the Alabamans and Mississippians are ever going to spit it out, but they make it sound good while they're hummin' along. :D And I love that North Carolina "O" sound...it's almost kinda English sounding! There is one that cracks me up a little because it's so different, though, and that's the Virginia Piedmont accent. I can't begin to explain it...look up Hermie Sadler or Ward Burton on YouTube (they're NASCAR drivers), and you'll see what I mean. My dad and I try to say stuff like Hermie does all the time, but whoa...we just can't imitate that!

As long as we're insulting each other's accents, can I say that Chicago accents drive me nuts? For a long time I didn't know that Chicago had its own accent, but eventually I heard one and was like, "What in GOD'S name is THAT?!?!" It's like that upper Midwest "oyah" accent thrown together with the Brooklyn/New Joisey accent - weirrrrd! Feel free to make fun of Valley Girls all you want, now. ;)

:lol: Hello! Footsteps of Dawn! :wave: How's it goin'? Always nice to hear from you! :) Hey, I like your spelling of New Jersey! haha. I know I have a Brooklyn accent. Everyone tells me so. I just hope people understand me when I talk! LOL! I love all accents, long as I can understand them! I LOVE "Valley Girl" accents! My favorite term is tubular!.

BTW, Once I was eating in a restaurant and I overheard some out-of-towners saying to each other where you can hear the "worst Brooklyn accents". I felt like turning around and saying, "Hey, whadaya mean 'worst' Brooklyn accents?" :P

Yeah, but you've got that "Da Bears" thing going on.

That was parody, though. No one actually talks like that unless they're exaggerating it for comedic effect. The "SuperFans" thing started on SNL after they won the Super Bowl in '85.

The only thing that is exclusive to our accent that at least separates us from other Midwestern accents is the way we pronounce our short a's. People not from Chicago will say "Chi-caw-go". We say "Chi-cah-go". It's a little more drawn out.

:lol: Hello! Footsteps of Dawn! :wave: How's it goin'? Always nice to hear from you! :) Hey, I like your spelling of New Jersey! haha. I know I have a Brooklyn accent. Everyone tells me so. I just hope people understand me when I talk! LOL! I love all accents, long as I can understand them!

BTW, Once I was eating in a restaurant and I overheard some out-of-towners saying to each other where you can hear the "worst Brooklyn accents". I felt like turning around and saying, "Hey, whadaya mean 'worst' Brooklyn accents?" :P

Hi! Doing good, how about yourself? Yeah, I wouldn't call any accents "bad," per se - there are just some that sound a little stranger to my ear than others, but nobody should feel bad about theirs! I like Brooklyn accents - it just wouldn't be New York City without them! And I don't think they're too hard to understand...nowhere near as hard as Cockney, like everybody's said.

I probably slip into one of the most loathed "accents" in America every now and then - the Valley Girl "like, totally!" Syndrome - so I'm definitely not trying to position myself as having superior English here. You can all thank your lucky stars you're not from Southern California during the Clueless years, hehe.

That was parody, though. No one actually talks like that unless they're exaggerating it for comedic effect. The "SuperFans" thing started on SNL after they won the Super Bowl in '85.

The only thing that is exclusive to our accent that at least separates us from other Midwestern accents is the way we pronounce our short a's. People not from Chicago will say "Chi-caw-go". We say "Chi-cah-go". It's a little more drawn out.

Ok, I'll believe you! You live there, after all. :) Good point about the "aw" vs. "ahhh" thing, too.

Like you're from Chicahgo! :D

My girlfriend's from southern Wisconsin. Beloit. I love how her sister pronounces money "muhnny". I can't explain in type. Her brother's name is Mike. She calls him Muyk. The stress on the o's is clear with her family as well. Supper's on the stooooove. I spent a few months there recently. I was awash in diphthongs! :lol:

The accent that is most grating to me, in an endearing way, is a Boston accent. A really good friend of mine is from Boston and when he says things like "Wheah did you pahk the cah?" I just want to smack him. It's cute but then it's annoying at the same time. I almost want to ask him when they all decided the letter R was no longer in their alphabet.

My favorite flavor of southern accent is found around the Montgomery area. Almost drips like molasses. Having lived in the deep south the majority of my life, I would be hard pressed to name an actor who has successfully imitated a southern accent on the big screen. Some may have been in the ballpark, but most attempts are hokey.

Like you're from Chicahgo! :D

My girlfriend's from southern Wisconsin. Beloit. I love how her sister pronounces money "muhnny". I can't explain in type. Her brother's name is Mike. She calls him Muyk. The stress on the o's is clear with her family as well. Supper's on the stooooove. I spent a few months there recently. I was awash in diphthongs! :lol:

See, that almost sounds vaguely Minnesotan to my ears. My father's brother moved to Wisconsin when he graduated from high school, so he married there and that's where my cousins are from and their accents are vastly different from ours. If I didn't tell you they were from Madison, you'd think they were from Minneapolis. Part of that has to do with because my aunt is of Norwegian extraction.

See, that almost sounds vaguely Minnesotan to my ears. My father's brother moved to Wisconsin when he graduated from high school, so he married there and that's where my cousins are from and their accents are vastly different from ours. If I didn't tell you they were from Madison, you'd think they were from Minneapolis. Part of that has to do with because my aunt is of Norwegian extraction.

My best friend's family are Nooorweeegians from Minnesooota! Pelican Rapids to be precise. They've lived in California for 30 years. No escaping their roooots thooogh! :lol:

Oh and it's pronounced Baahstin! ;)

My aunt has lived on the west coast for 50 years. She still sounds like she's spent her whole life in the Jewish Bronx! Accent thick as molasses! "Yuz kidz" :hysterical:

My favorite flavor of southern accent is found around the Montgomery area. Almost drips like molasses. Having lived in the deep south the majority of my life, I would be hard pressed to name an actor who has successfully imitated a southern accent on the big screen. Some may have been in the ballpark, but most attempts are hokey.

YES! I LOVE Montgomery accents! One of my favorite country singers (Jamey Johnson) is from Montgomery, and GOD I love listening to him talk in interviews. Ashton Shepherd, another country artist, isn't from Montgomery, but she's from another town in South Alabama, and she sounds super rad, too. (There I go with the "rad" shit again, haha.) I want to move there just so I can start talking like that, seriously.

Lol at the Minnesooota Nooorweegians... my family are Norwegians from Nebraska, so they sound a little different, but they still get an "oyah" in there every once in a while. :D

My best friend's family are Nooorweeegians from Minnesooota! Pelican Rapids to be precise. They've lived in California for 30 years. No escaping their roooots thooogh! :lol:

Oh and it's pronounced Baahstin! ;)

My aunt has lived on the west coast for 50 years. She still sounds like she's spent her whole life in the Jewish Bronx! Accent thick as molasses! "Yuz kidz" :hysterical:

New Yorkers say Bawstin, Bostonians say Baahstin. Chicagoans say "PRONOUNCE YOUR R'S!"

Where's Magic Sam? He runs tours of old Boston. Freedom Trail I think it's called. I miss that guy! :(

We all miss Magic Sam. He was cool. And as much as I pick on Bostonians, it's a very historical city and since I'm a nerd like that, I would love to take a tour. Just keep me away from Fenway. ;)

Sam was banned, remember?

The funny thing about Sam's accent:

He grew up in the Bay Area, but he's lived in Boston, yes, working for the Freedom Trail for a while now.

He HAS A BOSTONIAN ACCENT! He will deny it tooth and nail, but he's got it!

He says "cahr" and "haugh-bar." I made fun of him for it, and he still denied it. However, I was there, and MY EARS DON'T LIE!

:lol:

...and it's actually called The Freedom Trail Foundation.

...and my stepdad was born and raised in the Chicago area, and he calls is "Chicaaagoo."

He says "cahr" and "haugh-bar." I made fun of him for it, and he still denied it. However, I was there, and MY EARS DON'T LIE!

Hee hee, I love the "haugh-bar" interpretation there! Yep, there's no denying it - I've never heard a San Franciscan say "pahk the cahr"! Although when talking about parking, a San Franciscan would probably be more likely to say, "There's no $*%# place to park the car!" because it's true, but I digress.

Archived