Pet Peeves

Hotplant

I think I've mentioned before how much I hate to see people riding bicycles on our curvy, twisty roads because of the danger they pose (to themselves and the rest of us). Well, today in order to dodge one, I had to run right over top of a dead skunk <_< (More of them this time of year, due to the foliage :rolleyes: ).

(We're talking 2 lane rural highways).

(My garage smells like skunk now).

I think I've mentioned before how much I hate to see people riding bicycles on our curvy, twisty roads because of the danger they pose (to themselves and the rest of us). Well, today in order to dodge one, I had to run right over top of a dead skunk <_< (More of them this time of year, due to the foliage :rolleyes: ).

I know. In town, I had someone riding in the smack middle of the lane. He wasn't in the middle of the lane until I approached him. :rolleyes:

Most conspiracy theories annoy me. Some are interesting, but some are just stupid

I especially hate 9/11 conspiracies.

Ugh, me too. I mean, anything's possible, but I'm gonna go with the most probable answer, thanks.

On the cottage cheese issue...it is kinda weird tasting, isn't it? I still eat it, but it's not really the tastiest thing in the universe. It's not horrible either, at least not in my opinion, but...eh, it doesn't really enthuse me all that much. I agree with everybody who likes it better with pineapple - good combination.

Ha,ha! One of my pet peeves is people who seem to have ongoing anger issues with bicyclist. Maybe it's just another form of road rage.

Ha,ha! One of my pet peeves is people who seem to have ongoing anger issues with bicyclist. Maybe it's just another form of road rage.

Lol, you mean like me? :D I'm sorry, but there is an ongoing problem with motorists and bicyclists for a reason. I'm not going to place the blame on either party (even though I am almost always the motorist) - what the real problem is, at least around here, is that there's just not enough room for moving cars, parked cars, AND bicyclists!

It makes bicyclists get mad because cars try to run over them and punch it past them, and it makes drivers mad because they get stuck behind bicycles and can't get around. Now, after this has happened more than a few times, OF COURSE we're all going to start building up complexes and acting like jerks on purpose. Cars keep trying to run me down? Fine! Eff them, I'll stay in the middle of the road on purpose! Bicyclists won't get out of my way? Fine, I'll run their butts over! And so on and so on until the end of time. I don't see how this is NOT a problem. All I know is that "sharing the road" is not the answer, because obviously we can't. It's not road rage, it's just lack of bandwidth.

Lol, you mean like me? :D I'm sorry, but there is an ongoing problem with motorists and bicyclists for a reason. I'm not going to place the blame on either party (even though I am almost always the motorist) - what the real problem is, at least around here, is that there's just not enough room for moving cars, parked cars, AND bicyclists!

It makes bicyclists get mad because cars try to run over them and punch it past them, and it makes drivers mad because they get stuck behind bicycles and can't get around. Now, after this has happened more than a few times, OF COURSE we're all going to start building up complexes and acting like jerks on purpose. Cars keep trying to run me down? Fine! Eff them, I'll stay in the middle of the road on purpose! Bicyclists won't get out of my way? Fine, I'll run their butts over! And so on and so on until the end of time. I don't see how this is NOT a problem. All I know is that "sharing the road" is not the answer, because obviously we can't. It's not road rage, it's just lack of bandwidth.

I drive a car, ride a motorcycle and bicycle, so I see a few sides to the issue. It's often the case when I'm riding the bicycle, clearly out of the way of motorists, minding my own business, that I get treated as if I'm causing some sort of problem. When this happens I think they must be taking their anger, at someone else, out on me.

When I'm driving the car I notice a lot more problems with the other car drivers than I do with the bicyclists.

it's a shame, and i really hate to say it actually, but i think the time has come for bicycles to be taken off the streets in cities. it's just too dangerous. the roads are designed for cars, and i for one would never try to ride a bike on a busy road. it's not only annoying for the motorist, but dangerous. i wish this wasn't the case, but it is. bike riding should be kept to bike lanes, tracks and quieter roads. i feel sorry for those that need to use their bike for transport, but i really think they need to be banned from main roads.

it's a shame, and i really hate to say it actually, but i think the time has come for bicycles to be taken off the streets in cities. it's just too dangerous. the roads are designed for cars, and i for one would never try to ride a bike on a busy road. it's not only annoying for the motorist, but dangerous. i wish this wasn't the case, but it is. bike riding should be kept to bike lanes, tracks and quieter roads. i feel sorry for those that need to use their bike for transport, but i really think they need to be banned from main roads.

I actually have to agree with this. Bike paths need to be put up because a bicyclist on a main road can cause a lot of issues. I saw a stubborn bicyclist on a one-lane, 35-mile-an-hour road. He was riding in the middle lane, causing a long line of cars behind him. I was right behind him and honked. He didn't even acknowledge me, so I went on the grass to go around him, and he flipped me off. The car behind me was little less polite, and lightly "tapped" his (the bicyclist's) back wheel, causing him to swerve and fall on the grass. The long line of cars then sped up to the speed limit, alleviating the traffic back-up. I had to pull over 'cause I was laughing so hard, but it also reminded me that bicycles and motorized vehicles just should not be sharing the road, period.

I drive a car, ride a motorcycle and bicycle, so I see a few sides to the issue. It's often the case when I'm riding the bicycle, clearly out of the way of motorists, minding my own business, that I get treated as if I'm causing some sort of problem. When this happens I think they must be taking their anger, at someone else, out on me.

When I'm driving the car I notice a lot more problems with the other car drivers than I do with the bicyclists.

Yep, that's totally what I mean - everybody's on the defensive because they've had people be jerks to them so many times in the past, so they take it out on anybody and everybody, no matter if they've personally been rude or not. And that's the fault of the underlying cause here, which is the size of the streets and the amount of cars on them.

I also hate to say it, but unfortunately I, too, think that's the only viable answer. I DO think people should definitely, in a perfect world, be able and encouraged to use bicycles as a mode of transportation, but it's just not practical in a big city anymore. I just don't want to see anybody get hurt, and I see way too many near misses these days.

I just don't want to see anybody get hurt, and I see way too many near misses these days.

So you're seeing too many accidents these days, then?

near misses

Okay, I'm sorry... but this is another pet peeve of mine.

Look at that phrase: "near miss"

You know what a near miss is? When two cars hit each other, that's a "near miss". They came close to missing each other, but they ultimately hit.

What I think you mean is a "near hit". They're not actually hitting each other, but they're coming pretty fuckin' close.

Okay... taken care of... carry on...

I ride my bike to commute, sometimes. I live in a smaller town with less traffic and fewer congestion, and I never felt there was ever that much conflict between myself and other motorists(maybe because I don't ride like an obnoxious jerk with an entitlement complex). I am very very much aware that a lot of prejudice exists against cyclists. I try as hard as I reasonably can not to cause any unnecessary conflicts, like not riding in the middle of road("taking the lane" as it is often called among cycling community) Nor do I go thought red lights. The only think you can criticize me for. I'll sometimes slowly roll through a stop side(and I mean really slow, at about walking pace), but Only if I make absolutely sure it's safe to do so, otherwise I have no problem stopping completely.

I'm a bit curious and just feel like to ask here, there're no cycleways for the bicyclists? Why would the bicyclists and drivers stay on the same path?

That's the situation I was talking about; a 2 lane, rural highway with blind curves and no bike lanes and a 55mph speed limit. I have no problem with cyclists in the city who ride in bike lanes, but they are also supposed to obey traffic laws (stopping at red lights, riding with, not facing, traffic; riding on roads as opposed to sidewalks etc).

This guy today was riding a recreational (as opposed to racing) bike, sticking out in the lane, and wobbling. A few years ago I saw a cyclist on the same road who was killed about a mile later. Some roads are just too dangerous. I am not a road rage person; I would hate for my 16 year old newly driving daughter to come around a blind curve and find a wobbly cyclist in her lane, with another car coming towards her, and not have the experience to get through it safely. There are also a LOT of deer out our way right now (rutting season).

Yep, that's totally what I mean - everybody's on the defensive because they've had people be jerks to them so many times in the past, so they take it out on anybody and everybody, no matter if they've personally been rude or not. And that's the fault of the underlying cause here, which is the size of the streets and the amount of cars on them.

I think it has to do with confidence in your own driving skills. Good, confident drivers don't get into road rage.

I also hate to say it, but unfortunately I, too, think that's the only viable answer. I DO think people should definitely, in a perfect world, be able and encouraged to use bicycles as a mode of transportation, but it's just not practical in a big city anymore. I just don't want to see anybody get hurt, and I see way too many near misses these days.

This is hilarious!

it'sa shame, and i really hate to say it actually, but i think the time hascome for bicycles to be taken off the streets in cities. it's just toodangerous. the roads are designed for cars, and i for one would nevertry to ride a bike on a busy road. it's not only annoying for themotorist, but dangerous. i wish this wasn't the case, but it is. bikeriding should be kept to bike lanes, tracks and quieter roads. i feelsorry for those that need to use their bike for transport, but i reallythink they need to be banned from main roads.

Iagree. There have been like 30 people hit by cars this summer in theBoise area. Our metro area is about 900K. That's craziness.

I'm a bit curious and just feel like to ask here, there're no cycleways for the bicyclists? Why would the bicyclists and drivers stay on the same path?

People ride them on the streets if there is no bike lane. In the US, that's perfectly legal. At least in Idaho.

We have bike lanes, but people are still being hit and killed while riding in them.

We have bike lanes, but people are still being hit and killed while riding in them.

You guys or shall I say gals, remind me of my older sister who doesn't like motorcycles in front of her when she's driving. She's afraid she'll run them over. Of course with her there's a high probability. :hysterical:

You guys or shall I say gals, remind me of my older sister who doesn't like motorcycles in front of her when she's driving. She's afraid she'll run them over. Of course with her there's a high probability. :hysterical:

Umm, the difference between bicycles and motorcycles is that motorcycles are motorized, and can therefore drive the speed-limit. So if someone on a motorcycle is in the middle of the road, they aren't holding up traffic and everything's fine. A bicyclist, on the other hand, is just gonna piss a hell of a lot of people off if (s)he tries to do that.

The road is (or should be) ONLY for motorized vehicles.

And if your sister is afraid she's gonna run over a motorcyclist, then she should consider slowing down. Almost every single motorcyclist I know is a speeder... shit, when I get one, I'll probably be a speeder, too, especially as the bike I want is the Kawasaki Concours 14 (ABS) [supersport Touring].

Umm, the difference between bicycles and motorcycles is that motorcycles are motorized, and can therefore drive the speed-limit. So if someone on a motorcycle is in the middle of the road, they aren't holding up traffic and everything's fine. A bicyclist, on the other hand, is just gonna piss a hell of a lot of people off if (s)he tries to do that.

The road is (or should be) ONLY for motorized vehicles.

And if your sister is afraid she's gonna run over a motorcyclist, then she should consider slowing down. Almost every single motorcyclist I know is a speeder... shit, when I get one, I'll probably be a speeder, too, especially as the bike I want is the Kawasaki Concours 14 (ABS) [supersport Touring].

Yes, I know the difference between a motorcycle and a bicycle. I have at least one of each. My main bike is a Harley-Davidson Softail Custom.

Around here, a bicycle is allowed to be driven on the road as long as there are no signs prohibiting it. May I suggest that if you are a motorist and you can't deal with bicycles on the same road which you are traveling on, then maybe you are the one who should not be there. Know your limitations and capabilities.

As far as my sister goes, she should consider slowing down alright, slow down to a stop and then get out of the car and walk away. :hysterical:

Feeding the trick or treaters should be mandatory for any home owner.

No it shouldn't. I can think of about 100 things I'd rather do than spend all night sitting on my porch freezing my ass off passing out candy to a bunch of kids I don't know and don't particularly like.

Yes, I know the difference between a motorcycle and a bicycle. I have at least one of each. My main bike is a Harley-Davidson Softail Custom.

Sorry. I should have assumed you knew the difference.

How do you like Harley's? They seem okay to me, but I have no problem with laws that say you have to wear helmets and other safety gear while riding, so I don't think I'd be allowed to get a Harley...

Around here, a bicycle is allowed to be driven on the road as long as there are no signs prohibiting it. May I suggest that if you are a motorist and you can't deal with bicycles on the same road which you are traveling on, then maybe you are the one who should not be there. Know your limitations and capabilities.

No! I'm sorry, but absolutely not! It's one thing if they are off to the side, on the sidewalk, or on a bike path. But as soon as they get in the way, they are the problem, not the people in cars. Speed limits and roads are not made for bicycles, otherwise the highest speed limit would be around 20, maybe 25, and roads would be a lot fucking smaller. Because bicycles are, by default, slower and less safe then motorized vehicles, it should be bicycles who stay off the fucking road, not cars, as the road were made for fucking cars, not bicycles.

So absolutely not. They can stay off the road. I have places to be and don't need to be held up by some ignorant, arrogant green-peace jackass thank you very much.

I don't mean to snap at you, but cars are bigger, stronger, and faster then bicycles. So it will ultimately be the bicycle that is the safety hazard, not the car. So, as far as I'm concerned, it is the bicycles that need to stay off the road and on their own paths. If I hadn't had personal experience with bicyclists who hold up traffic on a one lane road 'cause they think it's funny or whatever, then maybe I'd have a different outlook.

But even for their own safety, bicyclists should stay off the roads, because cars will win every time.

Archived