Pet Peeves

Hotplant

The governor is going to cut services to the elderly and disabled in order to prevent the state from going bankrupt.

This means that people's grandmothers will be losing their homes and likely be abandoned in institutions where absolutely no one gives a damn about their well-being other than God in heaven.

I was taught when I was young that in government, police, fire, services to the frail elderly, the fragile young and the severely disabled come first.

I would never have dreamed of disrespecting my grandparents.

The governor is going to cut services to the elderly and disabled in order to prevent the state from going bankrupt.

This means that people's grandmothers will be losing their homes and likely be abandoned in institutions where absolutely no one gives a damn about their well-being other than God in heaven.

I was taught when I was young that in government, police, fire, services to the frail elderly, the fragile young and the severely disabled come first.

I would never have dreamed of disrespecting my grandparents.

my last grandparent died when i was 7, i would have given anything to have had them around into my adult years. actually, both my grandfathers died before i was born ( my mothers dad died when she was 5 ), and my paternal grandmother died when i was only 4, so i don't remember her at all. i have a few memories of my maternal grandmother still, she was a tough old thing, brought up nine kids, ( a few were still quite young when her husband died ). no single parent pension in those days. and still had time to knit socks for the aussie soldiers and deliver ( walk ) them to the prison camp nearby. they just don't make em like her anymore.

I never knew my mom's dad, he died way before I was born but the rest of my grandparents, especially my dad's mom, were very very important to me and a big part of my life. I think it's criminal how the elderly are often treated in this country.

I never knew my mom's dad, he died way before I was born but the rest of my grandparents, especially my dad's mom, were very very important to me and a big part of my life. I think it's criminal how the elderly are often treated in this country.

crazy when you think we will all ( well, most ) be elderly one day.

on a side note, did anyone else notice that the font on the forum just changed, got smaller ? or is it my old pc being stupid again?

^the forum was down or something for a afew hours tonight, so that could have been a change.

If you want to see the forum in larger font, hold down the crtl key and scroll the scrolly thing on your mouse up or down. I totally learned this by accident. I do it all the time on our desktop computer because we have a 22" screen on the desktop, and I hate it when the font's small on it.

I don't like that either. I get that from a lot of people and it's just a waste of energy. Everyone has good points and things they want to improve on. It's much better to be positive for others and support and embrace their successes. It can even be motivating to see someone make changes in their life.

You are right - it sets a great example not just to your kids, but improving yourself affects many things in a good way!

Thanks, nine :wave:! Yes that's just it, where are you going to put your energy, right? I guess some people don't like it when their pesky inertia gets rattled :D Oh well, ever onward as someone once said ;) Good luck with your efforts, ripple effects are important

When you get on the scale in the morning and it reads several different weights.

Which one is the right one?

My metabolism increases simply by getting on and off the scale over and over again trying to obtain a correct measure.

If you stand on the scale for a few seconds longer it should come to a stop and that is your weight.

People who disrespect their grandmothers.

Just wait until they get to be that age and have had a few children of their own and see if they sing the same tune.

Something tells me this is about the post that I made saying that my grandmother and I don't get along.

If it is not about me, please don't read the following.

I want to set something straight, I don't disrespect my grandmother. She is the one who makes the remarks. I don't really want to get into what she has said to me because it isn't really anyone's buisness but the kinder things to come out of her mouth include saying that I was a "damn liar just like your father". I will not be told that I disrespect my grandma when you don't actually know the real situation.

I hate that! I've recently lost 35 pounds, and I have a grandma who doesn't really like me and all she does is say things like "must be nice to do that." or "Wish I had the time but I'm too tired" and my personal favourite "I smoke and I'm just too fat to exercise." I hate the excuses because I hated being as big as I was so instead of letting weight mbeat me I beat the weight. I have come a long way and have a long way left to go but I made time to do it. I could've been busy watching tv or sleeping but I got up and exercised so I could lose weight. My grandma is too fat to exise and her smoking isn't stopping her, she is and I hate to hear about it. She can't hate being so out of shape because she isn't doing a single thing about it.

In this post I think I made an error that I want to correct. I meant to put that she isn't too fat to exercise. That completely changes the nature of the sentence. I don't think my grandma is that big.

In this post I think I made an error that I want to correct. I meant to put that she isn't too fat to exercise. That completely changes the nature of the sentence. I don't think my grandma is that big.

So she's too fat. Tell her so she will know she needs to lose weight. That's part of the problem nowadays people are told all the wrong things.

Tell her.

"Grammy get on the treadmill old woman." She will respect you for it.

If you stand on the scale for a few seconds longer it should come to a stop and that is your weight.

It comes to a stop at a different weight each time on some mornings, not all.

Maybe a magnetic force is active on some mornings to throw the scale off.

It comes to a stop at a different weight each time on some mornings, not all.

Maybe a magnetic force is active on some mornings to throw the scale off.

The key is to become one with the scale.

Here we go, 1,2,3 AHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHM.

So she's too fat. Tell her so she will know she needs to lose weight. That's part of the problem nowadays people are told all the wrong things.

Tell her.

"Grammy get on the treadmill old woman." She will respect you for it.

In my original post I did accidently say she was too fat to exercise, but then I corrected what I meant to say in a later post. Talking to my grandmother like that would be disrespectful and I'd get smacked for it. I feel no need to be rude to my grandma, I might as well be the bigger person. Plus, it elimates the argument "I was only treating her like she treated me.". If I am nice she looks like the idiot.

*sigh* yeah that and when a kid is screaming it's head off in tears and the parent is nonchalantly pushing the stroller through the store, or just walking along while the kid is rolling along on the floor in fits because he didn't get the toy he wanted. What can you do, lady? Plenty. What will you do? Let's see that instead. Good times...

Sometimes the best way to handle a toddler tantrum is actually to just keep walking along nonchalantly and ignore it.

In my original post I did accidently say she was too fat to exercise, but then I corrected what I meant to say in a later post. Talking to my grandmother like that would be disrespectful and I'd get smacked for it. I feel no need to be rude to my grandma, I might as well be the bigger person. Plus, it elimates the argument "I was only treating her like she treated me.". If I am nice she looks like the idiot.

Sorry, you lost me on that one kiddo. If your grammy smacks you for being honest then you may truly have a problem. However you can be nice to make her look like an idiot.

Am I right on this thus far?

Sorry, you lost me on that one kiddo. If your grammy smacks you for being honest then you may truly have a problem. However you can be nice to make her look like an idiot.

Am I right on this thus far?

If I told her she was fat and needed to exercise she would smack me for being disrespectful is basically all that I meant. And for the last part, yes you are right.

If I told her she was fat and needed to exercise she would smack me for being disrespectful is basically all that I meant. And for the last part, yes you are right.

Oh ok love. Actually I think your a nice kid. That' why I pulled titty girl and stuff. My people are brutally honest. A lot of feelings get hurt I guess. I don't think she'd smack a good kid like you. Give you a good tongue lashing lol

Sometimes the best way to handle a toddler tantrum is actually to just keep walking along nonchalantly and ignore it.

Yeah I hear that - kids do what works. It's just that while they're learning that the full-on tantrum isn't going to get the desired effect, aisles clear, ears bleed...it just happened too often in a shopping week for me, I guess

Yeah I hear that - kids do what works. It's just that while they're learning that the full-on tantrum isn't going to get the desired effect, aisles clear, ears bleed...it just happened too often in a shopping week for me, I guess

Once when she was about 2, my oldest daughter flung herself down on the floor in the middle of WalMart, screaming "HELP! HELP!" because she wasn't getting her way. Fortunately the other customers around us could tell what was happening and were just laughing hysterically; I was so horrified that someone would think we were trying to kidnap her though! :o

Children do not have the patience for supermarkets.

All the sights and sounds overwhelm their senses.

It's sometimes more than they can handle when they are very young.

Yes, and that applies to sensitive adults, too. I don't think that is at issue here though. Thanks for adding that, though let's face it, kids can be tricky in trying to get their way...see below :D

Once when she was about 2, my oldest daughter flung herself down on the floor in the middle of WalMart, screaming "HELP! HELP!" because she wasn't getting her way. Fortunately the other customers around us could tell what was happening and were just laughing hysterically; I was so horrified that someone would think we were trying to kidnap her though! :o

Hahaha! Now that's one creative little rascal, Virginia! :lol: Such nascent intelligence being honed so fervently. I wonder what she's like now?

Archived