Pet Peeves

Hotplant

My main pet peeve:

Passive smoking in non-smoking areas like bus shelters and cigarettes in general. :angry: Sorry to all smokers on here, but the public smoking ban was the best thing the previous government ever did.

Others things that annoy me:

Bumping into people and not apologising

Generally being rude

People who lack patience

Dropping litter

I'm sure that there's lots of others but I can't think of them now!

P.S. I'm sorry Kiwi, I do occasionally bite my nails!! :blush: I know it's a bad habit, but there are worse ones! :unsure: For the record, I do agree with all your other peeves! ;)

P.S. I'm sorry Kiwi, I have on occasionally bitten my nails!! :blush: I know it's a bad habit, but there are worse ones! :unsure:

That's ok, sweetie! :friends: That I don't quite mind! I mean sometimes people do have a good reason for bitting their nails like when they are extremely nervous about something! No worries! :D

And yes, I completely agree about smoking! I don't care if people like to smoke, just don't let your habit inconvenience others!

Oh and another pet peeve of mine is a rather sensitive one but I have to speak my mind! It is when people of certain ethnicities tend to lapse off into their own language when they meet someone else who belongs to the same community in a public place such as a super market, restaurant and even in a freakin' elevator making other people feel extremely awkward and uncomfortable! I have noticed this extremely crude habit in the case of folks who belong to the Indian and Chinese community, here in Auckland. I'm sorry but to me, this constitutes bad breeding! dry.gif It's ok if you are a tourist or an international student who has just arrived and feel like a "stranger in a strange land". But once, you are a citizen, my advice is "do as the Romans do" and learn the "local" language for God's sake! dry.gif

Oh and another pet peeve of mine is a rather sensitive one but I have to speak my mind! It is when people of certain ethnicities tend to lapse off into their own language when they meet someone else who belongs to their same community in a public place such as a super market, restaurant and even in a freakin' elevator making other people feel extremely awkward and uncomfortable! I have noticed this extremely crude habit in the case of folks who belong to the Indian and Chinese community, here in Auckland. I'm sorry but to me, this constitutes bad breeding! dry.gif It's ok if you are a tourist or an international student who has just arrived and feel like a "stranger in a strange land". But once, you are a citizen, my advice is "do as the Romans do" and learn the "local" language for God's sake! dry.gif

Kiwi I have to agree with you on that one as well. I have experienced that myself. I find it particularly rude when they start laughing in your presence while talking away in their own language! :angry:

Kiwi I have to agree with you on that one as well. I have experienced that myself. I find it particularly rude when they start laughing in your presence while talking away in their own language! :angry:

Me too, Magic! I have experienced that once at a pharmacy where there were folks of Chinese ethnicity attending to customers, talking politely and everything (mind you, some of them even had a "Kiwi" accent and most could speak English very fluently!) and BHAM! as soon as the poor customer left the shop, all those Chinese folks literally got together and started talking in that funny language of theirs, having a good laugh at the poor customer's expense! It's disgusting! :angry:

Me too, Magic! I have experienced that once at a pharmacy where there were folks of Chinese ethnicity attending to customers, talking politely and everything (mind you, some of them even had a "Kiwi" accent and most could speak English very fluently!) and BHAM! as soon as the poor customer left the shop, all those Chinese folks literally got together and started talking in that funny language of theirs, having a good laugh at the poor customer's expense! It's disgusting! :angry:

I can remember a time in Vancouver when not speaking english in public was frowned upon and people weren't hesitant to let other's know how they felt about it. My ma for instance would think nothing of lambasting people for doing so. As a kid, It used to make for some embarassing moments on the bus but at the time, she was more the norm than the exception.

I just noticed we must need this again.

See, I get all caught up in this board sometimes, and you sit here when no one is posting and it is dull as a bad kitchen knife, so as soon as someone posts you feel like telling them this or that.

That's when I back off the pc and take a break.

Come back, and people are still bitching but you can find a few new things. :lol:

I refuse to let some dingbat get me mad. Life is too sweet to get into it.

Though I do want to sometimes.

K, my pet peeve right now?

Petty doesn't have us on his tour. :angry:

*edited so Aqua doesn't get pissed at me for spelling.* :lol:

Gee Aqua must go mad with me and my aweydyfdful spelling lol.

Peeve 4 the day, aquaplaining in the wet in my car, then getting hooted for slowing down to prevent something bad happening.

Oh this isn't rude at all. "That funny language of theirs"? Speaking of bad breeding..............

Look, it's one thing when they make no attempt to learn English and will only converse in their native tongue, thereby making it difficult for people in service industries especially, to help them. It's another when they speak English and do speak English, but when talking with someone of their same ethnic makeup, decide to speak their native tongue. There isn't a damn thing wrong with that. Not a damn thing. My great-grandparents on both sides of my family emigrated to the US; one set from Hungary, the other from Denmark. My grandparents then, spoke both English and then their parents' native tongues. They all spoke English in school, when they were out shopping, basically any time they weren't around people who also spoke their native language. When they were, they spoke that language. Did my grandparents have "bad breeding"? Was that "disgusting"?

BTW, if you don't speak Chinese (which I'm assuming you don't), how would you know that those employees were laughing at the customer? Isn't a tad paranoid to assume that when someone starts talking in a foreign language around you, they're gossiping about you? Maybe they think the way you speak English is disgusting, and think it's a "funny" language.

I have been on both sides of this, having lived abroad for a number of years, and usually when people break into another language they are not criticising or making fun of others. Also, some groups have very different notions of manners than we do and this leads to misinterpretation and misunderstanding.

However IMHO, and I am sure at least BIGDAN will agree with me, English is God's language!

Actually, God's language would be closer to Hebrew or Aramaic than English. I'm an atheist, but if the stories/tomes are to believed, Jesus was Middle Eastern and surely wouldn't have spoken English, as English didn't exist at that time. All Abrahamic religions (Christianity, Judaism, Islam) have their roots in the same part of the world, and English most definitely was not the native tongue of anyone living there, either then or now.

That's actually something that has always bothered me, so I guess that is my pet peeve -- people who think God/Jesus is some white guy. If such a person actually existed, he wouldn't look like a brown-haired, blue-eyed, pale-skinned man. Didn't the Bible say something about Jesus having skin of bronze and hair like lamb's wool? That doesn't sound anything like how Jesus has been traditionally depicted, either in paintings/pictures or in contemporary media.

Oh this isn't rude at all. "That funny language of theirs"? Speaking of bad breeding..............

Look, it's one thing when they make no attempt to learn English and will only converse in their native tongue, thereby making it difficult for people in service industries especially, to help them. It's another when they speak English and do speak English, but when talking with someone of their same ethnic makeup, decide to speak their native tongue. There isn't a damn thing wrong with that. Not a damn thing. My great-grandparents on both sides of my family emigrated to the US; one set from Hungary, the other from Denmark. My grandparents then, spoke both English and then their parents' native tongues. They all spoke English in school, when they were out shopping, basically any time they weren't around people who also spoke their native language. When they were, they spoke that language. Did my grandparents have "bad breeding"? Was that "disgusting"?

BTW, if you don't speak Chinese (which I'm assuming you don't), how would you know that those employees were laughing at the customer? Isn't a tad paranoid to assume that when someone starts talking in a foreign language around you, they're gossiping about you? Maybe they think the way you speak English is disgusting, and think it's a "funny" language.

Look Electro, before you get all judgemental, let me tell you something about me. I am an immigrant. I am originally from India. I have been in New Zealand for the past 11 years of my life. I do not go about lapsing off into Hindi or whatever Indian language is out there with a bunch of Indian women and laugh at people behind their backs. I was on an elevator once with this "white Kiwi" woman (who was around the same age as me, by the way) and 2 Indian women were pointing at her and laughing at her and called her a "whore" and a "bitch" in Hindi because of her low cut t-shirt. I understood every fuckin word that was spoken unfortunately and that women looked so puzzled and hurt and she even tried asking me (since to her, I "looked Indian") what those two women were saying and whether she was a part of the discussion! It was the most uncomfortable and fuckin awkward moment for me in my life!!! I had to make up a lame excuse saying that there are so many Indian states with so many languages and those women and I might be of the same ethnicity but we are not from the same state and we speak "different" native languages! I'll be damned if you can sit there and tell me that an incident like this doesn't leave a bad taste in the mouth. Oh and by the way, FYI, I have a couple of Chinese friends at University and yes, I've learnt a couple of Chinese words and phrases (thank you very much) and calling a Maori man "a big fat mongrel beast" right after he leaves a shop after being so polite to him, isn't very flattering now, is it? And also, while I was crossing the street one day, 3 Indian men were right in front of me, eyeing another "white Kiwi" woman and one of them said in very loud Hindi, "Hmmm...I do wonder what is underneath her top! I bet she has great big breasts!". I bet your last dollar that they wouldn't have had the guts to say that to her, straight to her face in English! I don't know. Maybe, this sort of shit doesn't affect you and maybe you might even tell me to shut the fuck up and stop bothering! But I (because of this type of nonsense) have been put into extremely awkward and embarassing situations! Maybe you are completely ok with it but I sure as hell am not and whatever you or any one might say, isn't going to change my opinion. Period.

Actually, God's language would be closer to Hebrew or Aramaic than English. I'm an atheist, but if the stories/tomes are to believed, Jesus was Middle Eastern and surely wouldn't have spoken English, as English didn't exist at that time. All Abrahamic religions (Christianity, Judaism, Islam) have their roots in the same part of the world, and English most definitely was not the native tongue of anyone living there, either then or now.

That's actually something that has always bothered me, so I guess that is my pet peeve -- people who think God/Jesus is some white guy. If such a person actually existed, he wouldn't look like a brown-haired, blue-eyed, pale-skinned man. Didn't the Bible say something about Jesus having skin of bronze and hair like lamb's wool? That doesn't sound anything like how Jesus has been traditionally depicted, either in paintings/pictures or in contemporary media.

If we were to accept that Jesus was God, you would surely be correct about his native language and ethnic background. I personally think he was an alien.

Look Electro, before you get all judgemental, let me tell you something about me. I am an immigrant. I am originally from India. I have been in New Zealand for the past 11 years of my life. I do not go about lapsing off into Hindi or whatever Indian language is out there with a bunch of Indian women and laugh at people behind their backs. I was on an elevator once with this "white Kiwi" woman (who was around the same age as me, by the way) and 2 Indian women were pointing at her and laughing at her and called her a "whore" and a "bitch" in Hindi because of her low cut t-shirt. I understood every fuckin word that was spoken unfortunately and that women looked so puzzled and hurt and she even tried asking me (since to her, I "looked Indian") what those two women were saying and whether she was a part of the discussion! It was the most uncomfortable and fuckin awkward moment for me in my life!!! I had to make up a lame excuse saying that there are so many Indian states with so many languages and those women and I might be of the same ethnicity but we are not from the same state and we speak "different" native languages! I'll be damned if you can sit there and tell me that an incident like this doesn't leave a bad taste in the mouth. Oh and by the way, FYI, I have a couple of Chinese friends at University and yes, I've learnt a couple of Chinese words and calling a Maori man "a big fat mongrel beast" after he leaves a shop after being so polite to him, isn't very flattering, is it? And also, while I was crossing the street one day, 3 Indian men were right in front of me, eyeing another "white Kiwi" woman and one of them said in very loud Hindi, "Hmmm...I do wonder what is underneath her top! I bet she has great big breasts!". I bet your last dollar that they wouldn't have had the guts to say that to her, straight on her face in English! I don't know. Maybe, this sort of shit doesn't affect you and maybe you might even tell me to shut the fuck up and stop bothering! But I (because of this type of nonsense) have been put into extremely awkward and embarassing situations! Maybe you are completely ok with it but I sure as hell am not and whatever you or any one might say, isn't going to change my opinion. Period.

Holy wall of text, Batman.

Maybe you need to learn not to attribute the part to the whole. For every one person who acts the way you described, there's 10 who don't. Painting everyone with the same brush and saying "well, because these people do this, no one should do it" is really quite ridiculous. Bad manners are bad manners, regardless of where you're from or what ethnic make-up you are. If those women were saying things about the woman in their native language, intentionally so she wouldn't understand them, that's wrong. Does that mean then NO ONE should speak their native tongue with other people who know it as well?

I'm glad you have the manners not to do what those women did. There are many, many, many others out there just like you who shouldn't be penalized because of boorish behavior you had to personally witness.

Kiwi-

How awkward for you! People should realize that they might be understood no matter how obscure the language they are speaking. I guess there is no shortage of idiots out there.

Holy wall of text, Batman.

Maybe you need to learn not to attribute the part to the whole. For every one person who acts the way you described, there's 10 who don't. Painting everyone with the same brush and saying "well, because these people do this, no one should do it" is really quite ridiculous. Bad manners are bad manners, regardless of where you're from or what ethnic make-up you are. If those women were saying things about the woman in their native language, intentionally so she wouldn't understand them, that's wrong. Does that mean then NO ONE should speak their native tongue with other people who know it as well?

I'm glad you have the manners not to do what those women did. There are many, many, many others out there just like you who shouldn't be penalized because of boorish behavior you had to personally witness.

I wouldn't even dream of acting the way those Indian women did. I know what it's like to be judged on the basis of your looks, the way you dress, etc. It is a very horrid thing to experience. In fact, Electro, I choose to adopt the following principle : "Before judging someone else about their attributes, take a good hard look at yourself in the mirror and ask yourself "Am I perfect?". And in the case of all human beings on this earth, the answer will be a big fat "no"!".

Look, I'm not stupid. I am not saying that NO ONE should be allowed to talk in their native language in public. I myself, can speak 3 languages (English, French and Hindi) and also a smattering of Chinese (thanks to my Chinese friends at University), if that counts for anything. For instance, if tomorrow, this Indian kid (who has just arrived in New Zealand as an immigrant or an international student) comes to me seeking help and comfort and chooses to communicate with me in his/her native language (if they are not comfortable with conversing in English), you bet your ass I will help that kid out in every way possible, if in fact I happen to be from the same state, speaking the same "native" language and if I am indeed able to understand his / her difficulties. Afterall, I know what all immigrants go through when they move to a new country. The transition phase can be rather difficult to cope with! I certainly wouldn't be so heartless and tell that kid to shut the fuck up, stop talking in his/her native language and speak English instead! That would be a very mean and cruel thing to do on my part!

But what I hate is when people of my ethnicity and other ethnicities use the fact that they are bi-lingual or tri-lingual or whatever and literally abuse their ability to speak 2 or 3 languages to make rude and disgusting remarks about a person who is right there in that same restaurant or elevator or walking on the same pedestrian crossing who has absolutely no idea why the fuck they are being pointed at, laughed at and why the fuck they are probably the subject of intense discussion in some foreign language! And these people (like the jerks I mentioned in an earlier post) are such cowards that I bet they wouldn't have the guts to trash talk in English for fear of being understood!! Now this to me, is disgusting (irrespective of whether or not I am in fact put into a really awkward situation thanks to the insensitive actions of those fuckin bi-lingual or tri-lingual numpties (like the ones I mentioned) who just can't keep their traps shut!)! I hope I've made myself clear.

My main pet peeve:

Passive smoking in non-smoking areas like bus shelters and cigarettes in general. :angry: Sorry to all smokers on here, but the public smoking ban was the best thing the previous government ever did.

The best thing the previous Government did was to ban Fox Hunting, the worst they did was not not to implement it, oh I need a fag.

Others things that annoy me:

Bumping into people and not apologising

Then get out of their way and say sorry, you, you, bumper of people you.

Generally being rude

Oi Oi shut it OK Gobby?

People who lack patience

Cant you wait even for a minute? I'm a doctor, I have many Patience you know.

Dropping litter

Then pick it up then likes the rest of us does. :rolleyes:

I'm sure that there's lots of others but I can't think of them now!

I'm sure there is to, now please do be quiet numpty nut.

P.S. I'm sorry Kiwi, I do occasionally bite my nails!! :blush: I know it's a bad habit, but there are worse ones! :unsure: For the record, I do agree with all your other peeves! ;)

What's worse that biting your nails? scratching your Ars-en-al first, :lol:

I hope that helps, Kind Regards, Danny

The best thing the previous Government did was to ban Fox Hunting, the worst they did was not not to implement it, oh I need a fag.

Then get out of their way and say sorry, you, you, bumper of people you.

Oi Oi shut it OK Gobby?

Cant you wait even for a minute? I'm a doctor, I have many Patience you know.

Then pick it up then likes the rest of us does. :rolleyes:

I'm sure there is to, now please do be quiet numpty nut.

What's worse that biting your nails? scratching your Ars-en-al first, :lol:

I hope that helps, Kind Regards, Danny

Whens the next stand up gig ?? Ill be there lol

Hi all,

Hot little numbers from Waleska, Georgia,who won't flirt with me, off-line,... :P:D

KB ;)

Look here you, you promised me when I was in Boston a home cooked meal!! I happen to be in NY and CT...and to say that with this weather I am not a happy camper is putting it mildly!!

Just wait until Boston in April :yesnod:

Hi all,

Look here you, you promised me when I was in Boston a home cooked meal!! I happen to be in NY and CT...and to say that with this weather I am not a happy camper is putting it mildly!!Just wait until Boston in April :yesnod:

Yes,...missy. :D

Menu of your choosing.

Deb J,with the most compliments your da best. :notworthy:

KB

I have been on both sides of this, having lived abroad for a number of years, and usually when people break into another language they are not criticising or making fun of others. Also, some groups have very different notions of manners than we do and this leads to misinterpretation and misunderstanding.

However IMHO, and I am sure at least BIGDAN will agree with me, English is God's language!

Hi Janet,

Now don't get me started on this will you? OK you already have so I'll reply if only out of courtesy. ;)

If God could choose I'm positive he would choose English because its the most colourful, dramatic, and all encompassing language ever devised, and its still evolving. :D

But as Electro said, if we are talking about the Judo/Christo/Muslimo God then He probably talked in "Riddish" a language of Riddles and Beigel's and Matzo's and Salt Beef.

http://www.google.co.uk/images?num=100&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=mMg&rlz=1R0GGGL_en-GB&channel=s&q=beigel+bake&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=JTgrTbDZEMmwhQf9gY3pAQ&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=3&ved=0CDYQsAQwAg&biw=1024&bih=503

But what God are we talking about? there are so many, can they all be alive and kicking? or are they all the same God but a God who appears and appeals to each and every different type of creed and people as and when needed? do we need to devote a New Topic to discus this never ending Question? OK then I'll be the one to start it off.

See Here.

Regards, Danny

Archived