Pet Peeves

Hotplant

"Parent and child bays" what are those?

I've only seen them at Harris Teeter. Those spaces are usually marked with signs saying reserved for parents with children. The sign depicted below is not from Harris Teeter but is very similar.

06051703.jpg

There's also this:

hybrid.jpg

All the grocery stores around here have them, not just Harris Teeter. Basically it lets you get the kid in and out with the door wide open without fear you'll smack the car parked next to you.

I've seen loads of people park in them that are neither pregnant, nor traveling with young children....which to me is no different than able-bodied people parking in handicapped spots.

I have a friend that thinks nothing of parking in handicapped parking spaces (though it's usually at less busy times) because of his dog. He also insists upon parking as close as possible to whatever store, bar, restaurant, etc. he is visiting because of the dog factor. While that is somewhat understandable, I've never understood why he just doesn't leave the dog at home. Oftentimes, just because he's parked close it doesn't always mean he can even see his car from inside any better.

If the dog is a guide dog or service dog, that would be one thing. If he's just parking there because he doesn't want Fifi or whatever the dog's name is to have to get their paws too dirty in the parking lot, well.....he's beyond selfish. I don't get people like that. I take the first available parking spot I can find that's NOT a handicapped or otherwise restricted spot. If that means I have to walk a country mile, so be it. The exercise won't kill me.

Why would you leave your dog for any length of time in a hot car? Is the dog too feeble to left home alone, even for the shortest possible length of time?

I love my dog, I love both my cats. They're members of the family. However the only time they go in the car is when they're going to the vet.

Why would you leave your dog for any length of time in a hot car? Is the dog too feeble to left home alone, even for the shortest possible length of time?

I'm not saying he leaves the dog in a hot car but he doesn't seem to leave the dog at home very often. The dog is deaf but I don't see why that would be a problem in leaving her at home. He takes very good care of the dog and isn't one of those types that would leave their pet in a hot car.

Splitting a lot of fir for firewood and the little slivers that get in your fingers (even with gloves)

Tacoma has enacted a law for the loud idiot car stereos and the fine is $500.

Now, if only the rest of the country would get on the ball.

My biggest pet peeve right now are drivers who slow down while going through a green light. What are you waiting for or worried about? Just go!

Yes, and the drivers who go 30 mph on the entrance ramp of the expressway where the traffic is moving at 65 mph.

My pet peeve today is my job, it's 2 months of more work than we can handle, followed by 2 months of scrounging for something to do.

That would be me, yes I'm guilty. And with all the people texting and distracted while driving I am even more cautious. I try to make sure there is no cross traffic going to kill me. But one reason I do this is because I actually witness a guy killed when a car ran a red light and t-boned the car just ahead of me at about 40mph. The guy was killed instantly, and his car was smashed so hard that it was only about 2 feet wide in the middle. I found out later that the guy who was killed just had a baby a few week before.

That's true. I understand where you are coming from. I will keep that in mind when I get frustrated in that situation. I just get impatient because I invariably get behind the slowest car, esp when I have to be somewhere on time. I hate being late but I have to say that I don't run red lights. That is another pet peeve of mine.

I just get impatient because I invariably get behind the slowest car, esp when I have to be somewhere on time. I hate being late but I have to say that I don't run red lights. That is another pet peeve of mine.

You've got to factor in slow drivers, traffic jams, wrecks etc. when going to a destination. If you get to your terminus early, great, hang about. If you're too busy to leave early, cut out things in your life, allow time.

To take your frustrations out on other's because of your poor planning is boorish at best. We have all the right in the world to go slower than the speed limit, but NOT faster. That's what LIMIT means.

Is it against the law for other people to park in them like in a handicapped space?

I think it would have to be something that is enforced by Harris Teeter. Plus, the "Parent with Child Parking" signs I've seen are moveable.

The culprits are usually women.Why,oh why when they shop in a supermarket can they not move their bl***y trolley out of the way of the middle of the aisle.If only they could,every other poor soul in the place would be able to get past them.Drives me around the twist,end of rant. :slapface:

Well, you were rude. Just because she did something rude to you first doesn't mean you turn into a five year old and do something rude in return. I mean, children act like that, not grown adults. If she wants to act like a brat, that's her problem. You don't need to do the same thing and then claim the moral high ground in the aftermath.

If I'd have been there watching this, I'd have busted out laughing just at the sight of it.

The culprits are usually women.Why,oh why when they shop in a supermarket can they not move their bl***y trolley out of the way of the middle of the aisle.If only they could,every other poor soul in the place would be able to get past them.Drives me around the twist,end of rant.

When someone is in the middle of the aisle blocking traffic, I usually either wait for them to move, or go in the opposite direction. In my experience, it was a man who deliberately rammed his shopping cart into me, even when the aisle was teeming with people and I had no space to escape. Perhaps if men were less aggressive in the grocery store, it would be good.

When someone is in the middle of the aisle blocking traffic, I usually either wait for them to move, or go in the opposite direction. In my experience, it was a man who deliberately rammed his shopping cart into me, even when the aisle was teeming with people and I had no space to escape. Perhaps if men were less aggressive in the grocery store, it would be good.

According to an old episode of Happy Days, deliberately ramming into a woman's grocery cart means we like you.

According to an old episode of Happy Days, deliberately ramming into a woman's grocery cart means we like you.

It means that he violated me. Fortunately, I was not injured, so I did not need to sue the man, since there were no damages. It was quite inconsiderate of him. It only demonstrated his lack of skill and finesse in navigating a grocery store, and the fact that he was too uncivilized for me to waste any of my valuable time dealing wih such a low-life as the grocery-store misfit that he was (me having better taste in men). Luckily I know how to shop for groceries and I understand how to prevent problem situations like that one from worsening.

However I did appeciate the nice man who complemented me on my skirt the other day as I glanced over grocery products in one of the aisles. I thought that was very sweet.

Well I disagree with you Electophile. First of all I politely asked her to please move her basket as I was obviously trying to get to the products that her basket was in the way of. And when she IGNORED me and I said I "pushed" her cart to the other side of the aisle, maybe I didn't word that very well. I did not shove the cart angrily or with undo force, I moved it out of my way since she chose to rudely ignore me and continue to INTENTIONALLY block me from getting to the items I needed to get to.

In what world that you are from is that type of passive/aggressive behavior acceptable?

I agree entirely with you, Brad.

If I'd been you, I'd have said, 'Ok, I'll come back later, shall I?', in my most witheringly scornful, sarcastic tone. Then I'd have stared her out. If there was no response, I'd have moved in right next to her and invaded her Personal Space to intimidate her. If that didn't work, I'd have rammed her out of the way. Her trolley, I mean.

Someone else commented that it's usually women who do this. Too damn right. You know why? Cos they take so bloody long to shop. When I go shopping, I make a list. I know exactly what I want, which brand, and I know exactly where to find it. I can do the weekly shop, queue and pay in 30mins flat. That also covers looking for good BOGOFs. But if my wife comes, it takes over an hour. She picks things up, looks at them, and puts them down again. Then picks another one up, puts it down (x3........)....then picks the original one, and puts it in the trolley. WTF.

I think shopping for some women is a quasi-masturbational ritual.

However I did appeciate the nice man who complemented me on my skirt the other day as I glanced over grocery products in one of the aisles. I thought that was very sweet.

You hadn't just visited the restroom, had you?

SuperStock_1775R-13180.jpg

You hadn't just visited the restroom, had you?

No, I was just browsing the labels on the products.

If I'd been you, I'd have said, 'Ok, I'll come back later, shall I?', in my most witheringly scornful, sarcastic tone. Then I'd have stared her out. If there was no response, I'd have moved in right next to her and invaded her Personal Space to intimidate her. If that didn't work, I'd have rammed her out of the way. Her trolley, I mean.

Someone else commented that it's usually women who do this. Too damn right. You know why? Cos they take so bloody long to shop. When I go shopping, I make a list. I know exactly what I want, which brand, and I know exactly where to find it. I can do the weekly shop, queue and pay in 30mins flat. That also covers looking for good BOGOFs. But if my wife comes, it takes over an hour. She picks things up, looks at them, and puts them down again. Then picks another one up, puts it down (x3........)....then picks the original one, and puts it in the trolley. WTF.

I think shopping for some women is a quasi-masturbational ritual.

No, it's just that some of us are grown-ups. We have seen children throw tantrums in the grocery store, which makes perfect sense, due to their age. But we prefer that grown men resist the urge to resort to infantile tactics in the grocery store. It's bad enough when the kids do it. Sounds as if you lack experience as a shopper. She takes her time because she is reading labels and comparing products for value. She actually stops to think.

Have you tried going shopping later and not at peak times?

UK stores are open 24 Hours a day, I usually go about 1am, not many screaming Children, Slow Oldies, or Aisle Hoggers.

There is however the late night Drinkers who have to pop in for extra supplies & snacks, not usually any trouble, so all in all late night shopping is the way to go. ;)

Have you tried going shopping later and not at peak times?

UK stores are open 24 Hours a day, I usually go about 1am, not many screaming Children, Slow Oldies, or Aisle Hoggers.

There is however the late night Drinkers who have to pop in for extra supplies & snacks, not usually any trouble, so all in all late night shopping is the way to go. ;)

Yes, I do most of my grocery shopping in the evening. Temperatures in southern Nevada in the day soar above the hundreds in June and July, and the evenings are more comfortable. One day last July the mercury rose to 118 degrees; way too hot to go outside. Explains why I tend to be a night owl, I guess.

Archived