Pet Peeves

Hotplant

I have never heard a white person say you know repeatedly in an interview. NOT. Chalk it up to nervousness or simply being inarticulate but it's definitely not an issue of race. Not to mention the previous poster said "ballplayers and rednecks". Last I checked not all ballplayers are black and just how many black rednecks do you know, you know?

Yeah, I see what you're saying. But if there were any way to compare the use of this phrase between white and black people, I am pretty sure the black people would come out on top. Especially if you use variations like "you know what I'm sayin?" etc.

Yeah, I see what you're saying. But if there were any way to compare the use of this phrase between white and black people, I am pretty sure the black people would come out on top. Especially if you use variations like "you know what I'm sayin?" etc.

I've heard just as many white folks say that as blacks, if not more. Know what I'm sayin'?

Some women can carry it. You did.

Others, aren't so lucky. :(

Actually, I couldn't. I could post some really bad pictures of me, but I don't feel like it. :lol:

Notice I stopped posting pictures for a big period of time? I stopped posting them for about a year or so...unless I could get a REALLY good face shot.

I have some that are not good. Really NOT GOOD. I didn't even recognize myself in some of those pictures. That's how "NOT GOOD" they were. :D

yeah, but you're a woman. Women never like how they look. Almost never. So, you gotta let the man judge.

I know. Men are vain too. Sometimes I feel like I look like crap, but then I realize that I don't.

Everyone has bad days. However, some people are just ugly. You're not, so everything is alright. :D

yeah, but you're a woman. Women never like how they look. Almost never. So, you gotta let the man judge.

I know. Men are vain too. Sometimes I feel like I look like crap, but then I realize that I don't.

Everyone has bad days. However, some people are just ugly. You're not, so everything is alright. :D

Oh really?

:hysterical:

I'm glad that my entire life revolves around whether I'm ugly!

Oh Mandy! If you were actually ugly, then your life might actually revolve around being ugly. then again, I have seen plenty of ugly people not let it bother them one bit. Who knows?

I'd rather talk to an ugly girl then a hot one who's an idiot anyway.

Oh Mandy! If you were actually ugly, then your life might actually revolve around being ugly. then again, I have seen plenty of ugly people not let it bother them one bit. Who knows?

I'd rather talk to an ugly girl then a hot one who's an idiot anyway.

Quite the charmer.

I have never heard a white person say you know repeatedly in an interview. NOT. Chalk it up to nervousness or simply being inarticulate but it's definitely not an issue of race. Not to mention the previous poster said "ballplayers and rednecks". Last I checked not all ballplayers are black and just how many black rednecks do you know, you know?

QFT.

I think most of us can find a few pet peeves about forums in the following (sorry if this has been posted a million times, it's new to me :) ) :

How many online forum group members does it take to change a lightbulb?

1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed.

14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently.

7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs.

27 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs.

53 to flame the spell checkers.

41 to correct spelling/grammar flames.

6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb"...another 6 to condemn those 6 as anal-retentive

2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "lamp".

15 know-it-alls who claim *they* were in the industry, and that "light bulb" is perfectly correct.

156 to email the participant's ISPs complaining that they are in violation of their "acceptable use policy".

109 to post that this group is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a lightbulb group

203 to demand that cross posting to hardware forum, off-topic forum, and lightbulb group about changing light bulbs be stopped.

111 to defend the posting to this group saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts *are* relevant to this group.

306 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique, and what brands are faulty.

27 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs.

14 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL's.

3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group.

33 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too".

12 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy.

19 to quote the "Me too's" to say "Me three".

4 to suggest that posters request the light bulb FAQ.

44 to ask what is a "FAQ".

4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"

143 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs".

1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again....

How many online forum group members does it take to change a lightbulb?

1 Jahfin to post NMEs list of 100 top light bulbs of 2008.

6 to point out that they've never used any of those light bulbs and 8 posters to point out why the list is shit.

1 Joelmon to relate how he changed a light bulb in the winter of 1973 (with pics).

20 to post pics of themselves changing light bulbs.

80 to congratulate those 20 on how good they look changing light bulbs.

1 to start a thread on how the elderly shouldn't be allowed to change light bulbs.

1 Del to post kinky pics of girls and light bulbs.

1 Hermit to comment on how he was about to post those very pics.

1 newb to point out that this is a Zep forum and why don't you all F*CK off if you're not interested in discussing Zep.

1 Electrophile to dress down the newb good and hard.

2 random posters to make strange allegations about light bulb discussion threads on previous forums.

20 posters to chime in and discuss people who have been banned over light bulb discussions on previous forums.

1 mod to pull the thread.

:blink:

What really gets me is people who are interviewed on TV for news, whatever, who say "YOU KNOW"!

NO I DON'T KNOW

It seems that ball players and rednecks on the news say YOU KNOW a lot.

(I don't mean to offend ball players and rednecks...sorry if I did)

Reminds me of another saying that really irks me.

I had a friend who constantly said "You know what?", after hearing this for the millionth time my reply would be, "Nope, never met him". <_<

I didn't mean to dis rednecks but where I live--US midsouth region--they are abundant.

this is NOT a racial issue...sorry some of you think that....

I've heard more teens and young adults of ALL types (and races) use this phrase -- I chalk it up to our educational system--their english teachers should put a stop to it.

Nuff said

6 to point out that they've never used any of those light bulbs and 8 posters to point out why the list is shit.

1 Joelmon to relate how he changed a light bulb in the winter of 1973 (with pics).

1 to start a thread on how the elderly shouldn't be allowed to change light bulbs.

1 newb to point out that this is a Zep forum and why don't you all F*CK off if you're not interested in discussing Zep.

2 random posters to make strange allegations about light bulb discussion threads on previous forums.

20 posters to chime in and discuss people who have been banned over light bulb discussions on previous forums.

and 1 Spats to say he never uses light bulbs because all the women in his life look better without them.

:lol:

Overall your list was pretty good, Fuzzy. :beer:

But obviously when it comes to me you aren't very.. well.. illuminated. Never have I commented on how 'I was about to post those very pics'.. whatever 'those pics' may have been. A more fitting way to work me into your list would have been..

1 Hermit to point out that the light bulb has no inherent existence.

B)

^_^

and if'n ya don't mind me adding to your list...

1 Magic Sam to remind everyone to use energy efficient light bulbs. ;)

I got 'em....that's for sure. B)

'73 ? Yep, that's when the light in my brain went off !!!

My pet peeve is abundant Communication Breakdown.

I'm having a nervous breakdown, and going insane !!!!!! :wacko:

and 1 Spats to say he never uses light bulbs because all the women in his life look better without them.

Spats: "I had a light bulb once but it went out on me. You have no idea how rejected I felt. Forget it, I'm not changing any light bulbs ever again. Light bulbs are too needy and clingy anyway. Trust me, I know what I'm talking about. I've seen all the hassles my buddies go through with their light bulbs and afaic it aint worth it. Besides I've never found a light bulb that meets my standards anyway. I want a really really hot light bulb and most light bulbs just aren't hot enough for me. And if I ever did have a hot light bulb and an even hotter light bulb came along, I'd remove my hot light bulb and put in the hotter one.. in a heart beat! But like I've said.. I've been burned in the past, you know. So when I see a brand new light bulb on the shelf at the store.. the truth is that I'm just way too afraid to approach it or try to pick it up. I don't wanna risk getting burned again, ya know. Its too humiliating."

:P

Spats: "I had a light bulb once but it went out on me. You have no idea how rejected I felt. Forget it, I'm not changing any light bulbs ever again. Light bulbs are too needy and clingy anyway. Trust me, I know what I'm talking about. I've seen all the hassles my buddies go through with their light bulbs and afaic it aint worth it. Besides I've never found a light bulb that meets my standards anyway. I want a really really hot light bulb and most light bulbs just aren't hot enough for me. And if I ever did have a hot light bulb and an even hotter light bulb came along, I'd remove my hot light bulb and put in the hotter one.. in a heart beat! But like I've said.. I've been burned in the past, you know. So when I see a brand new light bulb on the shelf at the store.. the truth is that I'm just way too afraid to approach it or try to pick it up. I don't wanna risk getting burned again, ya know. Its too humiliating."

1 Hermit to point out that the light bulb has no inherent existence.

1 Magic Sam to remind everyone to use energy efficient light bulbs. ;)

1 Scratch to say, " I love lightbulbs like I love women. Because I love to bask in the glow of their warm light."

.... "and I like to screw them in and turn them on too."

~natch

Archived