Pet Peeves

Hotplant

I’ll probably get some flak from some of the dog loving people on this forum. But when I’m out jogging or walking, it irritates me when dog owners let their pets run up to me, or chase after me. It happened to me again today while I was out walking in a wooded area(with the owners walking about 10-15 feet behind), despite there being a sign posted to keep dogs on a leash.

I know it's not a major problem, but all the same. I feel like I'm entitled to be ticked off about it.

People should control their animals you know. There's one girl here who has a pit bull and it's mean as hell. Was coming at me one day and her hanging on to it. Today I said to her "Oh no there's that mean hateful mutt" "No it's just protecting me" "Not for long it wont" "Huh" "Because I am about to call and have him carted off, you taught him to be mean and I hate it."

I'm afraid it's gonna bite one of the kids.

And proud!

archie-bunker.jpg

Just off the cuff, I was going to come up with a funny line to respond but as I was about to do so, I was listening to the Seattle late night news and they were doing a story on where registered sex offenders can and should live. Jail sounds pretty good to me...Duh

I'm mad at classic rock radio stations. Believe it or not, there were actually more than 10 songs written between 1965 and 1979! You sure wouldn't know it from listening to them, though! <_< You'd think that station managers would be cashing in on the younger generation's renewed interest in music from that era, but noooo. They just play Don't Stop Believing or Come Sail Away for the 50th time that day and turn everybody off, young and old.

Or if they do try to appeal to a younger audience, they go about it completely the wrong way by playing stuff like Nirvana and the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Kids are turning to Zeppelin because they're tired of the same old crap and are looking for something different. Instead of piquing their interest by playing some lesser-known, underground sort of music, the stations play the EXACT songs that kids are trying to escape from! I guess it would take too much musical knowledge in this day and age, when DJs phone in their shows from 1,000 miles away. It's a shame. A lot of people I know who like the White Stripes and the Black Keys would probably be really interested in hearing the sounds that spawned them, but you just can't hear that kind of stuff anywhere. I would think a "sounds from the underground" sort of show would be perfect for a late-night slot on a classic rock station, but apparently nobody shares that opinion, and that irks me.

I may have posted a similar peeve, but today I'm pissed off at PEOPLE WHO LIVE IN THE UNITED STATED AND DON'T SPEAK ENGLISH.

GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE IF YOU DON'T EVEN BOTHER TO LEARN OUR LANGUAGE!

I just had dinner at at coffee shop where they were having a lot of problems in the kitchen. Turned out the new cook had such a language disability that he couldn't even read the tickets made by the servers, or even understand their instructions. The guy was pretty much just guessing.

Our waitress was so upset about the situation, and managments failure to forsee this, that she didn't charge us for the meal or the drinks.

IF YOU ARE PLANNING TO COME TO THIS COUNTRY YOU NEED TO SPEAK ENGLISH. IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW, OR DON'T PLAN TO LEARN ----- DON'T CROSS THE BORDER!

IN FACT, DON'T EVEN LOOK ACROSS THE BORDER. JUST TURN AROUND AND GO BACK!

FUCK UP SOMEBODY'S MEAL IN YOUR OWN COUNTRY!

ASSHOLE!!!!!

Maybe the guy WAS planning to learn (or already learning) to speak the language.

Personally, I wouldn't dare to move somewhere (or immigrate, whatever) without knowing the language. Or at least some of the language. I'd be quite scared.

Maybe the guy WAS planning to learn (or already learning) to speak the language.

Planning to learn didn't help me out none too much when it came to getting my food order correct. Maybe he should have planned to get a job where it doesn't take reading and language skills.

Like picking lettuce or something.

Personally, I wouldn't dare to move somewhere (or immigrate, whatever) without knowing the language. Or at least some of the language. I'd be quite scared.

I agree. But we should all be scared of people who can't read a road sign who are living among us.

I figure if you can't read the instructions on a can of soup, you have no business handling food or preparing food for other people. In fact, a person like that shouldn't even be within a mile of what I am going to eat in my opinion.

Planning to learn didn't help me out none too much when it came to getting my food order correct. Maybe he should have planned to get a job where it doesn't take reading and language skills.

Maybe, but why don't you complain about those who employed him?

I agree. But we should all be scared of people who can't read a road sign who are living among us.

Road signs are generally (or usually) pictograms. You don't need to know the language to be able to read them, you need to have a driving licence.

Road signs are generally (or usually) pictograms. You don't need to know the language to be able to read them, you need to have a driving licence.

I think you can take the test in multiple languages I was lucky when I moved to Germany, I just had to have my American licence translated to German or it would have cost a pretty penny.

I may have posted a similar peeve, but today I'm pissed off at PEOPLE WHO LIVE IN THE UNITED STATED AND DON'T SPEAK ENGLISH.

GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE IF YOU DON'T EVEN BOTHER TO LEARN OUR LANGUAGE!

I just had dinner at at coffee shop where they were having a lot of problems in the kitchen. Turned out the new cook had such a language disability that he couldn't even read the tickets made by the servers, or even understand their instructions. The guy was pretty much just guessing.

Our waitress was so upset about the situation, and managments failure to forsee this, that she didn't charge us for the meal or the drinks.

IF YOU ARE PLANNING TO COME TO THIS COUNTRY YOU NEED TO SPEAK ENGLISH. IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW, OR DON'T PLAN TO LEARN ----- DON'T CROSS THE BORDER!

IN FACT, DON'T EVEN LOOK ACROSS THE BORDER. JUST TURN AROUND AND GO BACK!

FUCK UP SOMEBODY'S MEAL IN YOUR OWN COUNTRY!

ASSHOLE!!!!!

OMG Del!!!,.. your meal wasn't just right? :o

Did you survive the ordeal, friend? :unsure::huh::unsure:

Oh, goodness sakes, I surely do hope so.. because your every

meal being just right is soooo very, very,... VERY.. important!!

:rolleyes:

drc_starvation.jpg

I think you can take the test in multiple languages I was lucky when I moved to Germany, I just had to have my American licence translated to German or it would have cost a pretty penny.

I don't have a driving licence, so I have no idea.

My point is that pictograms as road signs, information systems in hospital (well, information systems in general), tourist guide signs etc., are often designed in a way to make it possible for anyone to read them, regardless of the language you speak. That's the whole point of them.

I agree, if I moved to another country and planned to work and take a job away from an indigenous citizen, I would make sure to have learned their language.

I agree, if I moved to another country and planned to work and take a job away from an indigenous citizen, I would make sure to have learned their language.

I did not know how to speak German when I moved here but I learned it. In America, I don't think the people that don't, speak english, feel like they need to learn it because there are large areas where certain groups of foreigners reside. I, myself, felt like if I was living here I need to learn the language even though I don't work in a job that I would taking a job from a local citizen.

I don't have a driving licence, so I have no idea.

My point is that pictograms as road signs, information systems in hospital (well, information systems in general), tourist guide signs etc., are often designed in a way to make it possible for anyone to read them, regardless of the language you speak. That's the whole point of them.

That was also my point. If I don't even have to take a drivers test to get my licence. Same as when you get an international licence, there is no test involved. Road signs are international.

Yeah, but this is not a matter of principles for me. I'm just saying that I would feel completely lost if I weren't able to communicate with people around me.

On the other hand, I don't blame people who emigrate to another country without this knowledge, because they are unhappy where they are. However, it probably is their duty to learn it once they are there.

I'll probably get some flak from some of the dog loving people on this forum. But when I'm out jogging or walking, it irritates me when dog owners let their pets run up to me, or chase after me. It happened to me again today while I was out walking in a wooded area(with the owners walking about 10-15 feet behind), despite there being a sign posted to keep dogs on a leash.

I know it's not a major problem, but all the same. I feel like I'm entitled to be ticked off about it.

I totally agree with you.

I also hate the people who insist on bringing their dogs everywhere because their dogs are part of the family.

I mean really? Who the fuck needs to bring their dog to breakfast (so the dog can just sit outside in the hot summer heat in the car)? Why does Fifi need to come with you shopping for a swimsuit at Macy's? Most people don't bring their kids shopping at Macy's if they're shopping for themselves if it can be helped because it's a pain in the ass to have to supervise children (let alone dogs) while trying to shop.

I also know someone who takes their dog with them everywhere they go--to visit friends, to run errands, etc. When I first met them, some mutual friends were really upset becuase they brought their dog over for the Superbowl party the mutual friends were hosting. The mutual friends had to lock their dog outside because he didn't like crowds of people, yet the other friends didn't even get the hint that they didn't want a dog in the house during the party. So while the dogs that lived there were banished outside for convienece and sanitary sake, the "uninvited" dog guest was trying to eat off people's plates and attempting to jump up on the couches.

I love animals as much as the next person, but GEEZ! Keep your freakin' dog at home!

You don't see me walking around with my cat in the grocery store or my dog at the hair dresser's. :rolleyes:

A dirt-poor, uneducated, unemployed person emigrating from a third-world country hoping for an opportunity for a better life in a foreign country may not have the luxury (in time or resources) of learning a new language before setting out on such a courageous and frightening journey.

And upon arriving in a foreign country, that same dirt-poor, uneducated, unemployed, courageous and frightened immigrant may not have the luxury (in time or resources) of learning a new language before going out and seeking a job.

..just saying. :whistling:

A dirt-poor, uneducated, unemployed person emigrating from a third-world country hoping for an opportunity for a better life in a foreign country may not have the luxury (in time or resources) of learning a new language before setting out on such a courageous and frightening journey.

And upon arriving in a foreign country, that same dirt-poor, uneducated, unemployed, courageous and frightened immigrant may not have the luxury (in time or resources) of learning a new language before going out and seeking a job.

..just saying. :whistling:

Not trying to start an argument but, if the tables were turned and we emigrated to their countries would we be treated with the same tolerance. Probably not.

My mother emigrated here from Germany and she learned English out of necessity; back then things were not as lax as they are now.

I dated a guy who was in the military in Iraq and one of his comrades, who was a woman, made the error of not wearing their traditional clothing, they promptly beat the shit out of her. There was nothing her comrades could do but stand and watch. We were there to help them! Geez!

Hermit, look. It's one thing if he had been working in agriculture or doing one of the other jobs that we Americans won't do.

However, the job this immigrant was doing requires a certain knowledge of English. Why? Well, it's quite simple.

When you are in the restaurant business, you are in the retail business. In the retail business, the MOST IMPORTANT part of that business is the customer service (at least, it should be... unfortunately that's becoming less and less the case). Is your customer satisfied? In the restaurant, the easiest way to lose a customer is to fuck up an order. As such, the restaurant needs to hire people who can understand an order and make it correctly, in order to satisfy the customer.

So does that mean the restaurant should take pains to translate the order to the immigrants native tongue? I'm sure you Liberals would love to think so, but (and I do actually HATE to say this) the Conservatives are right on this one. The immigrant looking to work at the restaurant in whatever propensity (with the exception of Janitor) should have enough of a basic knowledge of English to know what it means when the ticket says that the customer ordered a 12 oz. New York Strip, medium-rare, with a side of Mashed Potatoes, Green Beans, and a side Caesar Salad (and now y'all know what I've been craving for... well... a long time... :D ).

In fact, like Del, it is also one of my Pet Peeves, because I have also experienced it. It's not good.

I didn't need to as the waitress did not charge us for the meal afterall. She was so embarrassed by the poor performance of the kitchen that she said the cook should be fired.

I of course gave her the customary gratuity...

...plus she had a nice butt.

In many areas along the U.S./ Mexican border pictograms have caused more problems than they have solved. For example this pictogram while meant to be a warning to motorists that there might be "stupid people" crosssing the highway -- some of those "stupid people" they think it's where you are supposed to attempt crossing 8 traffic lanes with cars going 75 plus miles per hour in both directions with your children and elderly parents in tow:

hispanic_crossing.jpg

And that is why the signs have needed to be changed to add "prohibido" or prohibited.

bordercross.jpg

But every month another whole family of stupid people end up getting run over by a car.

Yet for those "rocket scientists" that make it through -- they arrive here just to fuck up my meal.

That last part was for Hermit :D

How about the Elementary school students who, by not and/or refusing to learn English are holding back other students that do speak English. I don't know how big of a problem this is in other places but here in the Midwest it is a huge problem.

Last year there was a large apartment building fire and several people died because they didn't speak English, therefore did not understand the fire fighters trying to save them. The building was reported to house people who spoke 87 different/various dialects. I shit you not.

Learning English not only enhances their chances for a better life but also in some cases to save it.

No one is saying that these people shouldn't learn English. I wouldn't move to Sweden and speak Italian. I think what some people are saying is that English is the hardest language to learn, if you have absolutely no grasp of it at all. Not every person you come across that doesn't speak it well if at all is deliberately not learning it.

Archived