Pet Peeves

Hotplant

I was born in Virginia, but my parents are from up North, so I don't have much of a southern accent (maybe just a little); my children don't really either. :) My husband is highly southern though, lol.

There are quite a few accent variations within Virginia; if you're familiar you can tell which part of the state someone is from (Tidewater, Southwest, Richmond especially; I'm not as familiar with the North Eastern/North Western areas).

I used to live in Virginia--Charlottesville, to be specific--and I just loved it there. (I'd go back in a heartbeat if there were any jobs in my field!) You're right, the accents varied widely--though not as much as Louisiana accents. I absolutely love to hear a real Cajun accent. I wonder if Alwizard could oblige us? :D

Southern accents are a cool breeze on a hot summer day with a glass of tea as she looks at you and says "Are the kids asleep?"

People in Europe seem to be fascinated with the southern accents too. This I know because I was always asked if I could do one.

Yes. And one of my sisters could do both a yankee and a southern accent. You get used to it if you travel a lot. And I've been on the road as long as I can recall.

Gives you a really good view of the world. Seeing it as a whole.

Think global. Buy local. Got a Tar Heels NCAA hat today from my lesbian friend Sheila. Cool hat, cost me 25p.

Now there's a deal for you Tar Heels Baseball Cap 25p...her and her friend are getting married very soon. That's too cool :wub: I am so happy for them.

I used to live in Virginia--Charlottesville, to be specific--and I just loved it there. (I'd go back in a heartbeat if there were any jobs in my field!) You're right, the accents varied widely--though not as much as Louisiana accents. I absolutely love to hear a real Cajun accent. I wonder if Alwizard could oblige us? :D

Cajun accents are wonderful!

Ditto, even some professional journalists say that. Mandy could probably remember what it is called. There is a term used for some of the black dialect in the south that at one point, they were going to

teach this...language, I think it was in Florida. Slips my mind.

But then again, listening to any southern dialect can drive me crazy. For instance, the word LIKE...they say Yike, and THAT...at. "Yike at." Or OIL...oal.

:slapface:

I'm so glad I got out of the south. :)

We encourage people to come visit. Long enough to spend all their cash. But do return home. It's getting too much like a large city here. Come enjoy the lakes and mountains bring plenty of moolah..

Then vamoosh :lol:

There's been alot of outrage toward Walmart over this local "Black Friday" death suit, where the security guard and a pregnant woman were trampelled by thousands of frenzied shoppers. But not one news article questioning just what the fuck is wrong with people, that this would happen over getting a good deal on a stupid TV set?

There's been alot of outrage toward Walmart over this local "Black Friday" death suit, where the security guard and a pregnant woman were trampelled by thousands of frenzied shoppers. But not one news article questioning just what the fuck is wrong with people, that this would happen over getting a good deal on a stupid TV set?

From what I understand, the prosecuter for the case settled the criminal suit out of court for 2 million dollars, to go into a fund of some sort. And this settlement prohibits the victim's family from filing a civil suit against Wal-Mart for his death.

How terrible is this?

This settlement benefits the prosecuter's office, but the blameless victim's family gets zilch from one of the richest corporations, run by the richest family in the United States.

The victim's family was sold down the river by the greedy prosecuter.

I refuse to shop a Walmart. It's ran by a bunch of fascist retro hippies. Well the retro hippie part is fine by me, but to hurt other people to make a profit is dirty dirty business.

But then again I'm not afraid to hike along the side of a mountain either. There's other places to buy things. People are just too lazy to go get it is all.

Poof Walmart here POOF Walmart there. Kills local stores too.

From what I understand, the prosecuter for the case settled the criminal suit out of court for 2 million dollars, to go into a fund of some sort. And this settlement prohibits the victim's family from filing a civil suit against Wal-Mart for his death.

How terrible is this?

This settlement benefits the prosecuter's office, but the blameless victim's family gets zilch from one of the richest corporations, run by the richest family in the United States.

The victim's family was sold down the river by the greedy prosecuter.

I don't think this should be about going after the rich corporations - stores will always have crazy sales. Although, yes, the victim's family will ultimitely lose the most in the end. If Walmart had hired a huge security force for that day, the community there would have made an issue over being harrassed. I just think it's up to each individual to make the commitment to be civilized.

I believe the point here is it's a large profit store that makes much of their profits from stealing from their employees through insurance scams etc' Remember the employee that got ran over by a Wal Mart truck and they sued her?

Come on this is ludicrous, these shit holes should run right or have actual people like the ACLU take em for a hefty lesson.

Okay, so we can all agree WalMart is owned and run by greedy, inhuman assholes.

But I think we're all forgetting the gist of jimmie ray's point. Please, let me highlight it.

And repeat it:

"But not one news article questioning just what the fuck is wrong with people, that this would happen over getting a good deal on a stupid TV set?"

So WalMart sucks, but none of you are disgusted with the people who ran into the store for a deal on a freakin' TV?

I think this story is less about WalMart and more about the idiocy of some human beings, namely those dumb-asses who went flooding into the store for a fucking deal. That is, quite frankly, sad and pathetic. They should be the ones being sued, not WalMart, because WalMart didn't ask thousands of people to go trampling over security and a pregnant woman for a goddamn TV set.

Have you ever been in a Walmart Superstore? Women will run over you with half ton carts running towards these blue spinning lights which have them hypnotized into thinking 10% off is more important than a human life. You can lose major body equipment and god help you if they hit the floor wax section.

I just know bowling for dollars will merge very soon and all which will be spoken is Spanish.

Amazing really.

I was born in Virginia, but my parents are from up North, so I don't have much of a southern accent (maybe just a little); my children don't really either. :) My husband is highly southern though, lol.

There are quite a few accent variations within Virginia; if you're familiar you can tell which part of the state someone is from (Tidewater, Southwest, Richmond especially; I'm not as familiar with the North Eastern/North Western areas).

I was born and raised here in Virgina also, although I lived in Ohio for several years, and when I first moved to Ohio, some people used to laugh at my accent. I do have a bit of a southern twang I guess you could say. I do agree about the accent variations in different parts of the state. I had a few relatives in the Tidewater area and they used to get a kick out of hearing the southern twang of those of us who lived in SW Va!

The fact that Mothers Day is rammed down people's throats but Fathers Day is a after thought. They promote Mothers Day way more than Fathers Day. Not really fair. And the constant promotion is just plain annoying. <_<

The fact that Mothers Day is rammed down people's throats but Fathers Day is a after thought. They promote Mothers Day way more than Fathers Day. Not really fair. And the constant promotion is just plain annoying. <_<

Oh, it's always a case of 'always the bridesmaid, never the bride' with you, isn't it? You'll get your turn to be a mother soon enough. Don't you worry.

I've missed you, Spats :mellow:

Funny, I find Father's Day to be just as promoted as Mother's Day. Probably because Father's Day occurs in June, so you have better weather so there's more emphasis on doing outdoorsy stuff with Dad....barbeques, baseball games, lawn work, football, stuff like that.

On Father's Day, my dad always grills and we always go to a baseball game, if the local team is playing. If not, we camp out and watch a game on TV.

I honestly think spats hates women, or at least has "mommy issues" that are the root of all his problems. I mean, why else complain about Mother's Day.

Funny, I find Father's Day to be just as promoted as Mother's Day. Probably because Father's Day occurs in June, so you have better weather so there's more emphasis on doing outdoorsy stuff with Dad....barbeques, baseball games, lawn work, football, stuff like that.

On Father's Day, my dad always grills and we always go to a baseball game, if the local team is playing. If not, we camp out and watch a game on TV.

I honestly think spats hates women, or at least has "mommy issues" that are the root of all his problems. I mean, why else complain about Mother's Day.

I find it promoted pretty equally too. Spats complains about everything. I have yet to read a post of his that he actually likes something without a clause attached to the statement.

Archived