Pet Peeves

Hotplant

Certain words/phrases are pet peeves of mine...

Irregardless

Supposably

"Jeez, tell us how you really feel!"

Been There, Done That

There's more, they'll come to me...

Irregardless of what you and my wife's opinions are on the word irregardless -- I have made it my personal mission in life to save that particular word for future generations.

So I guess my pet peeve is when people are always attempting to correct my somewhat off-beat way of saying things.

Some other terms/phrases that I use to the dismay of my wife are:

Do you want I should talk to your boss about that thing he said to you?

Let's go have a look-see at what the problem is.

I ain't givin' out hugs here!

I gotsta go! and I got no... (dropping of the I have / I've)

A soda/soft drink is a 'pop'

And of course calling the refridgerator 'the ice box', even though they haven't had to put ice in them for almost one hundred years now.

But I agree with you on using the word 'supposably'. Pertineer as bad as the imporper use of the word 'ValenTIMES Day'.

.... dumber than a bag of hammers. :D

Well, we all call it "pop" here, but that's a midwest thing.

Yeah, I like to throw in quirky ways of saying things, I also throw "gotsta" out there a lot. And "sez", as in "so I sez to him..." or "yeah, that's what I was sezzin' to you yesterday, remember?"

One of my big pet peeves is people who have bad eating manners. Like talking with their mouth full or just being sloppy. Or eating too loudly.

How about spitting on the ground? What is it with some people who think that hacking a big loogie is acceptable behavior. I heard that in Singapore that will get to whacks with a cane and six months in jail.

Souns like a good idea to me.

How about spitting on the ground? What is it with some people who think that hacking a big loogie is acceptable behavior. I heard that in Singapore that will get to whacks with a cane and six months in jail.

Souns like a good idea to me.

Yes, spitting is another one. I remember doing it when i was a kid but then i grew up and realized how disgusting it was. But i see people do it all the time. Men AND women. It's horrible.

Another thing i can't stand is different behavior and actions at the movies. I go to the movies a lot and see it all..

1. Talking during the movie

2. cell phone going off during the movie

3. Rustling their popcorn bags constantly thinking it will taste better i guess.

4. Bringing very young children to the movies. Children don't usually have the attention span to sit through movies and they start talking loud or whatever.

5. And couples hanging all over each other during the movies. As if it's "makeout time". I saw this at Juno and 27 dresses. Every time a "sweet" thing happened during the movie the couple would look at each other smile, kiss each other and go back to watching the movie and she would rest her head on his shoulder. It happened over and over.

Yes, spitting is another one. I remember doing it when i was a kid but then i grew up and realized how disgusting it was. But i see people do it all the time. Men AND women. It's horrible.

At one point I thought that the habit had all but faded away in our society. Years ago it was even outlawed (as a casual habit) due to serious health problems associated with spreading diseases. But now with an influx of some immigrants to Southern California I have noticed that it is almost a common and acceptable practice with some people again. I see people without any reservation just spitting everywhere and at anytime. As if people are really interested in what disgusting fluids come out of another persons body. What's next; thaking a shit by the bus stop?

I can't stand loud snuffling. That sound drives me mad. Why do people do that??! USE A HANDKERCHIEF, FOR GOD'S SAKE!

Or really loud nose blowing. Like they are honking a horn or something. it is possible to do it pretty quietly. But i see people just honking away like they are oblivious to anyone around them.

People who abuse their kids in public. They should be throttled. Well actually people who abuse others no matter who they are should be locked down in a mental place and never let out. Make the fences super high, have motes with gators.

By "abuse" I hope you don't mean spanking?

I actually had a woman yell at me one time after I smacked my five year old son on the butt for throwing a rock at a little girl. The rock just missed the girls head so I gave my son a pretty good swat. And then this woman runs up and starts yelling at me like I just burned my son with matches or somthing. I personally think that my action was correct... he has never done anything as dangerous as that again.

My pet peeve. People who don't control their children in public.

btw Shadow, I hate real abuse of children too. But now that my 16 year old son is 6'5" I have to think twice about smacking him. :D

Smokers who expose their kids to their habit. You want to kill yourself, fine, but don't do it to your kids. When I see someone smoking in their car with their windows closed, then see a kid in a carseat in the backseat, I want to beat them. And last week I went to a Mexican restaurant. As we were waiting to be seated, I looked over at the smoking section and see this table with three dirtbags smoking, with two kids at their table, one looked about 5, and the other was a toddler in a high chair. I wanted to strangle those turds.

By "abuse" I hope you don't mean spanking?

I actually had a woman yell at me one time after I smacked my five year old son on the butt for throwing a rock at a little girl. The rock just missed the girls head so I gave my son a pretty good swat. And then this woman runs up and starts yelling at me like I just burned my son with matches or somthing. I personally think that my action was correct... he has never done anything as dangerous as that again.

My pet peeve. People who don't control their children in public.

btw Shadow, I hate real abuse of children too. But now that my 16 year old son is 6'5" I have to think twice about smacking him. :D

Well,

There should be discipline. But I see it go to extremes in public too. And people who dont keep their kids in line are bad too. You can spank and not abuse. I was abused. And not just physically.

Shad :unsure: w

Smokers who expose their kids to their habit. You want to kill yourself, fine, but don't do it to your kids. When I see someone smoking in their car with their windows closed, then see a kid in a carseat in the backseat, I want to beat them. And last week I went to a Mexican restaurant. As we were waiting to be seated, I looked over at the smoking section and see this table with three dirtbags smoking, with two kids at their table, one looked about 5, and the other was a toddler in a high chair. I wanted to strangle those turds.

Both my parents smoke, and I hate it because it's a filthy contemptable habit, but at least they never smoke around us, in restaurants or in the car. They'll go outside or in the garage if it's too cold/inclement to stand outside. My sister and I don't need to develop health problems due to second-hand smoke.

I don't understand how someone can do that. My parents both smoke, but they've NEVER smoked at home.

When I was a kid everyone smoked. My parents, all their friends, just about everyone. I think the times were just different back then, but it wasn't like it was an evil thing.

Both my parents smoke, and I hate it because it's a filthy contemptable habit, but at least they never smoke around us, in restaurants or in the car. They'll go outside or in the garage if it's too cold/inclement to stand outside. My sister and I don't need to develop health problems due to second-hand smoke.

I just steer clear of them. Arrrrrgh. I mean come on now, what wins here, do you let a cigarette tell you how to kill yourself.

Shows no self control.

Shad :unsure: w

A soda/soft drink is a 'pop'

Well, we all call it "pop" here, but that's a midwest thing.

I say "pop." Everyone in my family says it.

I hate it when I see people spitting on the sidewalks or I've even seen them spit on floors inside buildings! I've seen them hork a big old loogie on the concrete outside my store's front doors. Nice. I don't really mind the spitting as long as it's not on the floor or on designated walkways. It's gross, and I may think, "man, that's classy," but it's the spitting on walkways or floors that gets me! It's just wrong. If you're spitting on floors, you deserve to be bitch slapped.

My mom gets so pissed that I complain when she smokes in the car when I'm in it with her. :rolleyes: She just doesn't get it. Both my parents smok(ed), and while I was growing up, they smoked IN THE HOUSE! Ugh. :wacko: It's just gross! By the time I had moved out, they had stopped doing that. :rolleyes:

My best friend smokes and has a five year old daughter. When her daughter was a baby, her mom would babysit her while she was at work. She would go straight to her mom's after work, (a twelve hour shift at a tobacco-free hospital), and pick up her daughter. Well, long story short, by the time she'd get home and have a chance to sneak outside for a cigarette, she'd have gone without one for up to fifteen hours.

So one day, she was dying for one by the time she left her mother's house to go home. Knowing she lived about a half an hour away, she pulled over on the side of a semi-busy road outside of town to smoke in the middle of the night and in the middle of the winter. She was sitting outside her car, smoking on the side of a state highway and a cop pulled up. He asked her if everything was all right, and she was mortified because she just explained to him that she'd pulled over to smoke a cigarette and she didn't want her baby exposed to the smoke. The cop was like, "Okay..." and left. :lol:

Classic. ROFL. :hysterical:

Archived