Pet Peeves

Hotplant

As I said DD. I stated my opinion. I'm entitled to that. He responded, I responded back

I actually like to know the sex of the person I am talking to also. But on a forum or the internet in general, you can never be sure of who of you are talking to....... and many people abuse it.

I actually like to know the sex of the person I am talking to also. But on a forum or the internet in general, you can never be sure of who of you are talking to....... and many people abuse it.

That's fair enough. We have a constitution which protects us from being harassed or exploited because of age, sex or income. Not too sure about Germany.

That's fair enough. We have a constitution which protects us from being harassed or exploited because of age, sex or income. Not too sure about Germany.

I am talking about the virtual world Mary. And I am not too sure of the German constitution because I am not German, I just live here. And what I said was not directed at anyone. It is just a fact that anyone can be whoever they want to be in this virtual world that we did not have back in the day. This is the first forum that I have ever been in and I have learned a few things since I have been here.

I am talking about the virtual world Mary. And I am not too sure of the German constitution because I am not German, I just live here. And what I said was not directed at anyone. It is just a fact that anyone can be whoever they want to be in this virtual world that we did not have back in the day. This is the first forum that I have ever been in and I have learned a few things since I have been here.

Just saying. The U.S.A is currently going through some changes on personal information and how people are discriminated against is why I brought it up. I know you are cool.

http://www.nolo.com/article.cfm/objectID/6...18/304/190/ART/

Just saying. The U.S.A is currently going through some changes on personal information and how people are discriminated against is why I brought it up. I know you are cool.

http://www.nolo.com/article.cfm/objectID/6...18/304/190/ART/

So what the hell sex does a transgender person want to be considered? Is it a day to day identity, at your whim, or are you inventing a new perfect being? Yeah, tits and a dick, all in one, is soooooo cool!?!?!?

So what the hell sex does a transgender person want to be considered? Is it a day to day identity, at your whim, or are you inventing a new perfect being? Yeah, tits and a dick, all in one, is soooooo cool!?!?!?

Never said I was trans gender. I will say you're an asshole though.

<fixed your on edit>

:P

Never said I was trans gender. I will say you're an asshole though.

<fixed your on edit>

:P

Haven't enough people brought up how weird you're making things, here? I don't see why we have to play along with your nonsense. If that makes me an asshole to you, or others who will tolerate every freaky notion that comes into some peoples' minds, that's fine. I'm not bothered by what I am.

The issue for me is quite simple, I like to know whether or not I'm talking to a man or a woman. For the obvious reasons, I think most people do.

Ally, let me ask you this. I use tangerine as my name. As my friends and i became huge Zeppelin fans in the late 70's in our preteens, we gave each other nicknames. I picked tangerine for obvious reasons. A Led Zeppelin love song that Robert sang so beautifully (i was in love with Robert, at the time i didn't know Jimmy wrote it about a girl) but doesn't change anything. I have a friend here from the original board named tangerinedream (a female). Last year i found another Tangerine here. Turns out this Tangerine is a guy. I thought that was odd. I pm'd and asked why he chose the name since it's a song Jimmy wrote about a girlfriend, and he said because he loves the song. It was like a guy using "Layla" for his name in my mind. How many people on this board use Robert, Jimmy, John and John's names in their username as well as LZ? Unless these people make posts that reveal their gender through their statements, many are unidentifiable. As far as setting your gender, that is a personal preference and is something that some wish to keep private. That is their business. I have never set mine for no reason in particular. I am easily spotted as a female i believe.

One last thing. I have loved Clint Eastwood since i was ten. Would i be violating some rule by calling myself Clint Eastwood? People would likely think i was a male unless i stated otherwise. If i was to use that name, i wouldn't feel like i am going against any gender rules.

I don't care what you call yourself. I never claimed I was a woman.

You assumed I was a woman.

That is simply not true. The problem isn't so much gender as an outright misrepresentation of yourself from your previous identities so that you could get on with people. Had you just been up front about it, and said you were trying to start fresh, people could have given you the benefit of the doubt. But you started with outright deceit. I think that's what some of us are having a problem with. Not cool. Just sayin'.

I don't care what you call yourself. I never claimed I was a woman.

You assumed I was a woman.

You are absolutely right .

That is simply not true. The problem isn't so much gender as an outright misrepresentation of yourself from your previous identities so that you could get on with people. Had you just been up front about it, and said you were trying to start fresh, people could have given you the benefit of the doubt. But you started with outright deceit. I think that's what some of us are having a problem with. Not cool. Just sayin'.

Whatever is going on with this "Mary Hartman" is not cool. I don't know if it's deceit, or just confusion about their own identity or lifestyle. It's not just about a misleading name, as some are trying to defend and justify. Nutjobs don't bother me, they can even be entertaining. But don't go giving this discrimination crap over your sexual preference - especially when you don't seem to have figured it out for yourself, even...

Ally, let me ask you this. I use tangerine as my name. As my friends and i became huge Zeppelin fans in the late 70's in our preteens, we gave each other nicknames. I picked tangerine for obvious reasons. A Led Zeppelin love song that Robert sang so beautifully (i was in love with Robert, at the time i didn't know Jimmy wrote it about a girl) but doesn't change anything. I have a friend here from the original board named tangerinedream (a female). Last year i found another Tangerine here. Turns out this Tangerine is a guy. I thought that was odd. I pm'd and asked why he chose the name since it's a song Jimmy wrote about a girlfriend, and he said because he loves the song. It was like a guy using "Layla" for his name in my mind. How many people on this board use Robert, Jimmy, John and John's names in their username as well as LZ? Unless these people make posts that reveal their gender through their statements, many are unidentifiable. As far as setting your gender, that is a personal preference and is something that some wish to keep private. That is their business. I have never set mine for no reason in particular. I am easily spotted as a female i believe.

One last thing. I have loved Clint Eastwood since i was ten. Would i be violating some rule by calling myself Clint Eastwood? People would likely think i was a male unless i stated otherwise. If i was to use that name, i wouldn't feel like i am going against any gender rules.

The issue for me is more one of portrayal than the fact that anyone uses a particular username. I'm not the ghestapo and it is not necessary for people to tell all to me or anyone else. However, portraying yourself to be a woman when in fact you are a guy or vise versa just seems a bit strange to me. My parental insincts kick in and I start to question things. Can't help it.

Let's be clear about something, other than stating that I think it's weird, I have not accused Mary of anything. I just wish Mary had been upfront from the get go. If he was and I just didn't catch it, then my aps for flogging a dead horse.

The issue for me is more one of portrayal than the fact that anyone uses a particular username. I'm not the ghestapo and it is not necessary for people to tell all to me or anyone else. However, portraying yourself to be a woman when in fact you are a guy or vise versa just seems a bit strange to me. My parental insincts kick in and I start to question things. Can't help it.

I misinterpreted your statement. I can understand your concern. I find that the internet is weird, period. Reason obviously, you never know, and so you can be easily deceived (just look at myspace as my classic example of trouble).

QUOTE (ally @ May 26 2009, 03:04 AM)

The issue for me is quite simple, I like to know whether or not I'm talking to a man or a woman. For the obvious reasons, I think most people do.

I misinterpreted your statement. I can understand your concern. I find that the internet is weird, period. Reason obviously, you never know, and so you can be easily deceived (just look at myspace as my classic example of trouble).

QUOTE (ally @ May 26 2009, 03:04 AM)

Yep, the internet is a weird place alright. I've learned the hard way :lol:

Who gives a rat's ass if "Mary Hartman" (whoever the hell that is) has a female screen name but is really a guy? Why does anyone get bothered enough to care? Is that something worth being annoyed over?

It seems to me that some of you are stretching here.

The Mary Hartman name and the pic in the avatar is from a 70's tv show that was popular.

I thought he was a woman at first but then when he responded to me about women i realized he was a guy.

The key to this is to agree with her Spats. She is right on this one.

No she isn't. I don't think i have ever met a woman or known a woman or known anyone that has met or known a woman who hasn't played hard to get.

Playing Hard to get = Saying no when you don't really mean it.

No she isn't. I don't think i have ever met a woman or known a woman or known anyone that has met or known a woman who hasn't played hard to get.

Playing Hard to get = Saying no when you don't really mean it.

Yes, she is, idiot. No matter who you met, I've never played these games (neither did any of my friends), and that's what counts, because I'm actually a woman, so I know better.

Whatever is going on with this "Mary Hartman" is not cool. I don't know if it's deceit, or just confusion about their own identity or lifestyle. It's not just about a misleading name, as some are trying to defend and justify. Nutjobs don't bother me, they can even be entertaining. But don't go giving this discrimination crap over your sexual preference - especially when you don't seem to have figured it out for yourself, even...

If what's in your pants controls yours and everyone you meets destiny then I can suggest many better places to entertain your impressions of what a dick means. I do not owe you any sort of explanation for a user name I use, how much I make, where I live either. You wanna take a stab at me, fine. But like I said before the proof is in the pudding pal and your just being troublesome.

I know who I am and I most certainly don't need some 9 year old twirp giving me a hard time over a user name Mary Hartman.

Like it, or don't look at it or my profile :rolleyes:

Archived