Pet Peeves

Hotplant

College students so beholden to their educational goals they refuse to work and can't see the bigger picture.

I. Don't. Refuse. To. Work.

I. Never. Said. That. I. Refuse. To. Work.

I. Can't. Find. A. Fucking. Job. In. This. Economy.

I. Want. To. Work.

I. Am. Sick. And. Tired. Of. Saying. This. Over. And. Over. Again.

I. Don't. Refuse. To. Work.

I. Never. Said. That. I. Refuse. To. Work.

I. Can't. Find. A. Fucking. Job. In. This. Economy.

I. Want. To. Work.

I. Am. Sick. And. Tired. Of. Saying. This. Over. And. Over. Again.

Whereabouts are you seeking employment? I'm going to get you a job.

Whereabouts are you seeking employment? I'm going to get you a job.

Anywhere. My application has been submitted to numerous fast food places and other restaurants, grocery stores, department stores, businesses as a file clerk, internships at Record Labels, and so on and so forth.

I should warn you though that I am not in a position to relocate. I must seek employment around where I live and go to school because I do not have a car of my own and I am still in school.

Anywhere. My application has been submitted to numerous fast food places and other restaurants, grocery stores, department stores, businesses as a file clerk, internships at Record Labels, and so on and so forth.

I should warn you though that I am not in a position to relocate. I must seek employment around where I live and go to school because I do not have a car of my own and I am still in school.

I'll PM you.

I think it's a little hypocritical, for sure! LOL

It's kind of like, "don't smoke pot, kids," as you're taking a HUGE toke.

I'm seriously ready to kill the neighbor's dog. (You know...not really kill, but it's annoying the shit out of me!)

I'm irate about it. I'd like to go over to her house and talk to her, but I'm afraid I'll get bitchy about it.

I don't think you're spoiled. I'd rather say that my approach to any housework is to flegmatic that I don't even care about all those little improvements that would probably make my life even happier.

I was hanging my clothes the other day and my alreadly mentioned soon to be mother-in-law told me that I should make my work more methodical ("you can't put underwear next to a shirt"). WTF? :coffee: Important is the result. I want it to dry, I don't need neighbours to admire my "methods."

I was going to say "WHAT THE HELL?" about not putting the underwear next to the shirt. Then I remembered some of the things my Mom has told us about going to Catholic school/church in her day. For example if your boyfriend came over for dinner with your family, you couldn't use a white tablecloth, because it would make them think of bed/sex. So I bet there's something Catholic about not putting underwear next to shirts on the clothesline. I remember how nice and fresh clothes smelled after they were hung outside. In our neighborhood you can't do that anymore, unless you don't mind them smelling like smoke (people burn stuff outside, so I don't even open my windows much anymore-I have asthma/allergies and usually just have to close them anyway). When it's so gorgeous outside (not so hot you need AC on), like it's been this summer, it would be nice to be able to keep the windows open. GRRRRR.

I think it's a little hypocritical, for sure! LOL

It's kind of like, "don't smoke pot, kids," as you're taking a HUGE toke.

I'm seriously ready to kill the neighbor's dog. (You know...not really kill, but it's annoying the shit out of me!)

I'm irate about it. I'd like to go over to her house and talk to her, but I'm afraid I'll get bitchy about it.

You may want to see if there's a recourse for anonymously complaining about the excessive dog noise. Something similar happened in my neighbourhood. Complaints were made to the town so a town rep called the house. Mind you the issue was excessive noise in the middle of the night, still there must be some provisions for good neighbourly conduct. A dog won't teach itself to stop barking constantly, so the owners definitely have to take responsibility for their pet disturbing everybody within earshot.

Generally speaking it is a non-marketable degree by societies standards, not mine. I'm the messenger.

OK, since you think I keep making assumptions about your posts, let me point out an assumption of your very own. English is one of the most marketable degrees there is. It's one of the most desirable degrees with regard to getting into law school, it's desirable in any management or marketing position, because it shows among other things that the graduate has communication skills and the ability to think critically. There's also a large market for English teachers on all levels. Then there's fields like publishing, where English degrees are gold.

Frankly, you're talking here about something you know nothing about. I do, on the other hand, because I have English degrees from both British and American universities.

I'm pissed off with my stupid fucking job, and because I'm pissed off about that, I'm also pissed off with people who make ridiculous and stupid posts in a stupid fucking way. And that includes me! Sometimes I'm totally pissed off with me!!!

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

OK, carry on.

Aquamarine, I'll be pulling for you to have a great week ahead of you.Hope you were able to retool over the weekend.

Aquamarine, I'll be pulling for you to have a great week ahead of you.Hope you were able to retool over the weekend.

Thanks, jabe :beer: --I can't say things got better over the weekend, but as far as work goes, I'm hoping they've reached a point where they can't get much worse! (Famous last words, I'm sure . . .)

OK, since you think I keep making assumptions about your posts, let me point out an assumption of your very own. English is one of the most marketable degrees there is. It's one of the most desirable degrees with regard to getting into law school, it's desirable in any management or marketing position, because it shows among other things that the graduate has communication skills and the ability to think critically. There's also a large market for English teachers on all levels. Then there's fields like publishing, where English degrees are gold.

Frankly, you're talking here about something you know nothing about. I do, on the other hand, because I have English degrees from both British and American universities.

Steve, I have to say she's right.

If you advertise that you've got an English degree in looking for pretty much any job, people are likely to snap you up because you are able to communicate in written form and read others' written forms critically.

It's a very good all-around degree to have.

VERY good one.

^Your sister doesn't enjoy stopping Stairway to Heaven before the end. She enjoys your reaction to it.

Just a thought.

Pet Peeve:

When your computer decides it's tired and wants to go to sleep in the middle of you uploading a very, very big file to the internet.

I nearly put a hole in the damn thing...

For about the third time, I'm reading a thread in which someone is accused of making a statement of fact when they were clearly stating their opinion. I think we've lost sight of common sense on this one. When someone says, for example, "Jimmy Page is the sexiest human being on earth," that is clearly their opinion, and nobody demands they back up this alleged "fact"--we KNOW it's an opinion. (The fact is that it's obviously Robert Plant. ;) ) The same with other declarative sentences that refer to feelings or interpretations or judgments--they're obviously IMPLIED opinions. It would be stultifyingly boring and repetitive, and soon meaningless, if every post had to begin "IMO, . . ." Clearly it's the person's opinion, and clearly it's their OWN opinion--if it was someone else's, they'd say so.

If, on the other hand, the statement is not about feelings, interpretations, etc., and is instead stating an objectively verifiable event, quantity, date, or whatever, as a fact when it's only speculation, THEN it should be stated that it's the writer's opinion. For example, if I say, despite the lack of evidence, "Jimmy hasn't been playing much lately because he's too busy writing his memoirs," then I should be challenged for presenting my own guess as a fact. But even then, if I use a word like "probably," it becomes clear that it's only my not-so-bright idea.

In other words, lighten up! IMO.

For about the third time, I'm reading a thread in which someone is accused of making a statement of fact when they were clearly stating their opinion. I think we've lost sight of common sense on this one. When someone says, for example, "Jimmy Page is the sexiest human being on earth," that is clearly their opinion, and nobody demands they back up this alleged "fact"--we KNOW it's an opinion.

I agree. Everyone knows that it is my boyfriend who is the sexiest man on earth. I would have thought that was a no-brainer.

I suppose I should clarify my point about facts and opinions. I'm specifically referring to people who make statements like "Led Zeppelin will do a world tour in 2010 in support of the 02 dvd that is coming out in the Spring". Either say that's your guess, or tell me where you got that "fact". It's no big deal, really. It just bugs me. :lol:

People who just can't let things go. :rolleyes:

Aw crap! GUILTY!! :bagoverhead:

I suppose I should clarify my point about facts and opinions. I'm specifically referring to people who make statements like "Led Zeppelin will do a world tour in 2010 in support of the 02 dvd that is coming out in the Spring". Either say that's your guess, or tell me where you got that "fact". It's no big deal, really. It just bugs me. :lol:

Wasn't referring to your comments, Ev, but in any case that's in agreement with what I said just now about verifiable facts. :beer:

The most recent instance had nothing to do with you or me, in fact.

Aw crap! GUILTY!! :bagoverhead:

Same here. Particularly when they make a politically incendiary remark in a political thread. They should expect some blow back. If I was to say "the root of all the problems we have in this country right now are due to a bunch of idiots voting in a guy who's not only a Muslim but wasn't even born in this country and shouldn't be president in the first place". Well, that would obviously be my opinion but I highly doubt that those "idiots" would let it go without saying "where's your proof? Post a link to where you got that info." etc. It's to be expected in political arguments.

Archived