Pet Peeves

Hotplant

That's ridiculous. I would tell them to throw it away and start over,and it's also my job to help out with making writing better, (I'm anEnglish teacher).

It crossed my mind, believe me. It was one of those "It's due tomorrow" situations arrgh... Even though the student's not too far removed from ESL, still, most of the many errors were simply from lack of effort not knowledge. I did send a note back with the essay. Seems to have cleared things up ;)

Congrats, by the way, on getting the English job(s)! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Dear fellow movie theatre goer: if you're so sick that you're coughing and blowing your nose loudly throughout the movie to the point that I miss parts of the dialogue as your illness wafts my way - have some sense and stay home...especially if it's a packed house. Thanks. Thanks a lot.

Dear fellow movie theatre goer: if you're so sick that you're coughing and blowing your nose loudly throughout the movie to the point that I miss parts of the dialogue as your illness wafts my way - have some sense and stay home...especially if it's a packed house. Thanks. Thanks a lot.

:angry::console: What movie were you trying to see? I'm sorry you got germified and interrupted.

SMOKING. When it is done around me. I hate hate hate having to hold my breath when I'm walking outside through a cloud of smoke, especially on my campus, because there is a gaggle of people smoking. They aren't even allowed to be smoking on campus, it's banned, but they all do it anyway and nobody stops them. It's not fair that I have to be subjected to it when I choose not to willingly destroy my lungs with smoke and carcinogens. It really, really annoys me and I really don't understand why people do it in the first place. I'm baffled by the amount of people my age who smoke when it is well known nowadays that it causes SO many health problems and ultimately, death. Ugh, I could go on and on...

Another pet peeve of mine is when people chew loudly. It's disgusting and very annoying.

SMOKING. When it is done around me. I hate hate hate having to hold my breath when I'm walking outside through a cloud of smoke, especially on my campus, because there is a gaggle of people smoking. They aren't even allowed to be smoking on campus, it's banned, but they all do it anyway and nobody stops them. It's not fair that I have to be subjected to it when I choose not to willingly destroy my lungs with smoke and carcinogens. It really, really annoys me and I really don't understand why people do it in the first place. I'm baffled by the amount of people my age who smoke when it is well known nowadays that it causes SO many health problems and ultimately, death. Ugh, I could go on and on...

Another pet peeve of mine is when people chew loudly. It's disgusting and very annoying.

It usually starts as an acceptance amongst peers, then it forms into a habit ultimately to become an addiction.

After 30+ years of habit/addiction I am so glad that I have been able to quit, don't even have the urge any longer.

I can taste and smell things like never before and yes smoke is most horrible smell to me!sad.gif

Aww thanks, Nine :). Well it was "Invictus" (which was ok) and the audience was for the most part great -- attentive, courteous, quiet. Except for, you know...

Aaaaahhhaa choooo :oops::wave:

Idiots in front of me in lines.

I was in Starbucks earlier this evening (save your rants about Starbucks, please.....I don't care if you don't like them) and the woman in front of me had no goddamn idea what she wanted. It's Starbucks. You can get coffee.....or a hot chocolate, since they offer it this time of year. It's not rocket science. Iced is over ice. Blended is.....fucking blended with ice. Mocha is chocolate. White mocha is white chocolate. Tall is small, grande is medium, venti is large. Again, not rocket science. She must have stood there for a good 10 minutes arguing with the barista about what it was she wanted and what it was supposed to look like. Meanwhile, all I want is my damn venti mocha frapp so I can get the hell out of there.

These are the same mental midgets who stand in front me in any fast-food restaurant the few times I patronize them. There's always ONE person who can't figure out what they want from the McDonald's menu and must stand there staring or going back and forth from one side to the other. IT'S HAMBURGERS!!!!!!!!!! ORDER ONE!!!!!!

I was in Starbucks earlier this evening (save your rants about Starbucks, please.....I don't care if you don't like them) and the woman in front of me had no goddamn idea what she wanted. It's Starbucks. You can get coffee.....or a hot chocolate, since they offer it this time of year. It's not rocket science. Iced is over ice. Blended is.....fucking blended with ice. Mocha is chocolate. White mocha is white chocolate. Tall is small, grande is medium, venti is large. Again, not rocket science. She must have stood there for a good 10 minutes arguing with the barista about what it was she wanted and what it was supposed to look like. Meanwhile, all I want is my damn venti mocha frapp so I can get the hell out of there.

These are the same mental midgets who stand in front me in any fast-food restaurant the few times I patronize them. There's always ONE person who can't figure out what they want from the McDonald's menu and must stand there staring or going back and forth from one side to the other. IT'S HAMBURGERS!!!!!!!!!! ORDER ONE!!!!!!

You need to see Kicking and Screaming!

Midgets? Maybe they can't see the menu.

• 3 weeks later...

A message for the Jonas Brothers and/or Adam Lambart:

FUCK YOU

and merry Christmas

hysterical.gif

Personally I hate it when I've invited a friend or friends to do something, and all they do is just text other people while I'm right in front of them. It makes me wonder why people would agree to go to the movies or something if they really wanted to talk to other people? mad.gif

Omg, what really peeved me off today, was when I was in town w/ my freinds and we were sitting against a wall drinking coffee, it was cold so we were wearing hoodies and people kept giving us really dirty looks...Oh yeh, just b/e we're teenagers wearing hoodies we're obviously going to stab the next person who comes round the corner :wall:

Yes I know that there are cases where hooded teenagers go round w/ knives and whatever, I live there, but it doesn't mean every teenager who wears a hoodie does! It's sterotypical and stupid.

Omg, what really peeved me off today, was when I was in town w/ my freinds and we were sitting against a wall drinking coffee, it was cold so we were wearing hoodies and people kept giving us really dirty looks...Oh yeh, just b/e we're teenagers wearing hoodies we're obviously going to stab the next person who comes round the corner wall.gif

Yes I know that there are cases where hooded teenagers go round w/ knives and whatever, I live there, but it doesn't mean every teenager who wears a hoodie does! It's sterotypical and stupid.

You mean you don't wait in dark alleys to stab people like every other teenager? blink.gif One of my favorite hobbies is sneaking up on random folks and stabbing them as they walk by. tongue.gif

duel.gif

Omg, what really peeved me off today, was when I was in town w/ my freinds and we were sitting against a wall drinking coffee, it was cold so we were wearing hoodies and people kept giving us really dirty looks...Oh yeh, just b/e we're teenagers wearing hoodies we're obviously going to stab the next person who comes round the corner :wall:

You'll get those dirty looks because people are intimidated. Unfortunately, hoodies are the required dresscode for intimidation nowadays. The less people see of you, the more weary of you they are.

You'll get those dirty looks because people are intimidated. Unfortunately, hoodies are the required dresscode for intimidation nowadays. The less people see of you, the more weary of you they are.

I guess that I don't understand the hoodie issue in Britain and Ireland.

In the US, all college students wear hoodies with their school insignias on them. My sons collect hoodies from different colleges that they have visited. The college "uniform" in the US is t-shirt, jeans, and hoodie. And most kids wear sneakers, or trainers or tennis shoes with their jeans. I know that in the UK, trainers are un-stylish, and only worn for sports.

My son reported that when he was in Ireland for the summer of 2008, the tough thugs wore jogging warm-up suits, something that would only be worn in the US for running or exercising. He said that you could tell the leader of the gang because he was the one with the most Addidas insignia apparel on. In the US, the thugs tend to wear hip-hop outfits, lol (baggy pants, underwear showing, chains on their belts, bandanas hanging out of their pockets).

Its funny how clothes indicate different things to different cultures.

This was hilarious...and I am also a Starbucks person... :coffee:

My pet peeve right now is this weather.I just flew into Atlanta this evening from a business trip and I am staying at a hotel 16 miles from my home in north Ga. because the roads are iced over :freezing:

I guess that I don't understand the hoodie issue in Britain and Ireland.

In the US, all college students wear hoodies with their school insignias on them. My sons collect hoodies from different colleges that they have visited. The college "uniform" in the US is t-shirt, jeans, and hoodie. And most kids wear sneakers, or trainers or tennis shoes with their jeans. I know that in the UK, trainers are un-stylish, and only worn for sports.

My son reported that when he was in Ireland for the summer of 2008, the tough thugs wore jogging warm-up suits, something that would only be worn in the US for running or exercising. He said that you could tell the leader of the gang because he was the one with the most Addidas insignia apparel on. In the US, the thugs tend to wear hip-hop outfits, lol (baggy pants, underwear showing, chains on their belts, bandanas hanging out of their pockets).

Its funny how clothes indicate different things to different cultures.

That's exactly it. In the UK you were hoodies because you're part of a gang. Of course any one can wear a hoodie, but if there's a gang of you -- you're up to no good. The assumption isn't always a fair one to make, but it's one you help but make.

I remember watching an Canadian comedian last year who joked that Wolverhampton was the healthiest looking town he'd ever seen because everyone wore jogging pants, sports clothes, hoodies, tracksuits, etc. Here you wear that stuff because, and again not a fair assumption to make, but one you do, you're usually a bit... rough. Hoodies are also the ideal way to hide your face and most of the kids that are up to no good don't want to be seen.

Linky

Archived