Pet Peeves

Hotplant

Waitrose now do the same as all the other supermarkets "Their Own Brand", so posh people can buy cheaper, but still get a good carrier bag. :lol:

Do what I do go to "LIDL" just take a posh bag, nobody knows what's in your bag. :)

That's a very good tip Fool. I do that when I shop in Poundland! :D

That's a very good tip Fool. I do that when I shop in Poundland! :D

You can liken that to when I pop into HMV with my Led Zeppelin bag, but inside its full of Justin Bieber and Kylie cds :bagoverhead::)

I'm thinking we are all closet snobs, worrying about our carrier bags...:)

True story, I went in to Harrod's bought the cheapest thing I could find, I think it was a comb, just to get a bag.

They had the nerve to try giving me a paper one, I was not having that, I did get a plastic one in the end, the smallest they did, :lol:

Maybe I'm overreacting here but I do find it sad that people in general, term people who suffer from problems like blindness or who are confined to a wheel chair as "disabled". I prefer to term these people as "differently-abled". Why, you ask? Well, think of a child who suffers from blindness. That child may not have the ability to read or do other things what "normal" children are able to do, but terming them as "disabled" is wrong in my book!

I was fortunate enough to interact with children who suffer from blindness, once when, back in India, a teacher of mine (during a field trip for 5th graders) took us to a centre which cared for children with "special" needs. These children had no where else to go because their parents found them to be a financial burden and hence chose to give them up for care to this centre. Those children are far from "disabled". They could read Braille (which looked to be a rather complex task, IMHO) and carry out other more complex tasks with exceptional ease and I was amazed at their grit and determination! And my teacher told us something which continues to ring in my ears even today : "If Helen Keller had chosen to think of herself as "disabled", she would have been filled with feelings of negativity and hopelessness and hence wouldn't have been able to accomplish the things which she did and set herself apart from the so-called normal human beings out there. Hence, the term "differently-abled" is more appropriate rather than "disabled"".

Maybe I'm overreacting here but I do find it sad that people in general term people who suffer from problems like blindness or who are confined to a wheel chair as "disabled". I prefer to term these people as "differently abled". Why, you ask? Well, think of a child who suffers from blindness. That child may not have the ability to read or do other things what "normal" children are able to do, but I was fortunate enough to interact with children who suffer from blindness once when a teacher of mine (during a field trip for 5th graders) took us to a centre which cares for children with "special" needs. Those children are far from "disabled". They could read Braille and carry out other more complex tasks with exceptional ease and I was amazed at their grit and determination! And my teacher told us something which continues to ring in my ears even today : "If Helen Keller had termed herself as "disabled", she would have been filled with feelings of negativity and hopelessness and hence wouldn't have been able to accomplish the things which she did and set her self apart from the so-called normal human beings out there. Hence, the term "differently-abled" is more appropriate rather than "disabled"".

You have a good heart :)

• 3 months later...

I have some issues about personal space. I always try to be very aware of where I am standing or walking, and I very rarely accidently bump into people, or even get too close to them. So I can't understand people who just "plow" their way through stores and out on the sidewalk, bumbing into people and then don't even have the courtsey to say excuse me.

The other day I was waiting in line at a fast food place and the man behind me (who was talking with a friend and had his back to me) bumped into me not once, but twice and never said excuse me. After the second collision I asked him if he would please not stand so close to me. His reply to me however was, "what's YOUR problem?"

Imagine that, "what's my problem". Why do people need to crowd you while standing in a line? It doesn't make the line move any faster. I don't get it.

It was aggressive and confrontational behaviour on his part. I usually walk away from people like that. It sounds like he purposely violated your space. That guy wasn't interested in being courteous. You need to remember that not everyone thinks like you do. Some of them can be a threat, in which case it's wise to distance yourself and realize that they are looking at the situation in a predatory way, while you are merely being polite and sociable.

I don't think he did it on purpose; he basically backed into me twice. But you're correct to say that some people just enjoy being aggressive... and unwilling to acccept responsibility for their mistakes.

As long as he didn't do it on purpose there's no need to worry. Sometimes people react without thinking.

• 2 weeks later...

My pet peeves!

Teenagers who swear constantly and talk like they were brought up in the British equivalent of the ghetto. Where I live is usually very well spoken.

People who use text-slang. Proper grammar doesn't take much effort! The odd 'lol' is fine, but not 'ppl hu tlk lyk dis'.

Kids who ask me if I will go to the shop and buy them cigarettes. No, I will not.

1. I'm not old enough to buy cigarettes legally (I'm 17).

2. These kids are about 12 years old. I'm not buying cigarettes for children.

3. The people who ask are often total strangers.

People who seem to think I'm scum because of my dress sense/tattoos. I get it far too often. Just because I have tattoos doesn't mean I'm any less of a human being. I'm studying a physics degree for crying out loud!

People who call me an emo! angry.gif

Teenagers (again) who think that they deserve everything on a plate just because they're teenagers. I moved out of my family home last year, and now I'm completely independent, I work hard and I study!

Forums that treat new members as complete and utter dunces. Present company excluded! :) On the flip-side, I detest new members of forums who think they're all high and mighty. Hopefully that's not how I've poised myself so far!

Homophobia.

Wow, it felt good to get that off my chest. :P

People with strollers who think they can use them as weapons so to speak.

Same goes with electric wheelchairs. I'm all for respecting disabilities, but some of the people in these jazzy type things think because they are in a wheelchair they can hog the road, the aisles everywhere, run you over etc. C'mon I respect you, show others the same.

And a lot of them are in the things because they are so fat they can't walk anymore. GAWD!

People who say they "really like" so and so because they "call people out" on the board. Yet THEY are too chicken to do the same to save their butts from scrutiny.

It's like they sit on the side lines to keep their "position" yet never ever say a friggen word. " Scaredy " cats. :wizard::dont:

Speak up chickens.

One more....the rain. I'm so so sick of it.

Able-bodied people who park in disabled bays because they can't be bothered walking. They should have their car wheels clamped. :angry:

Hi Magic,

Pisses the hell outa me to.

I once saw this guy pull up in a disabled bay in Asda's car park, small red sports car type, so i made the local Mrs Hitler who ticketed the car park aware of him. So off she goes to have it out with the said fella, only to come away red faced as the guy got out of his car on a pair of crutches it made my day i'll tell you. :D

Kind Regards, Danny

Able-bodied people who park in disabled bays because they can't be bothered walking. They should have their car wheels clamped. :angry:

Hi Magic :wave:

Those people who park in the Parent & Child bays are just as bad. :angry:

I don't think that these people realise that those types of bay are bigger for a reason, or maybe they just don't care, which is probably nearer the truth.

That would be me, yes I'm guilty. And with all the people texting and distracted while driving I am even more cautious. I try to make sure there is no cross traffic going to kill me. But one reason I do this is because I actually witness a guy killed when a car ran a red light and t-boned the car just ahead of me at about 40mph. The guy was killed instantly, and his car was smashed so hard that it was only about 2 feet wide in the middle. I found out later that the guy who was killed just had a baby a few week before.

Me too. Especially when it's a fresh green and I'm first to proceed. Seen it too many times and like you, seen some horrendous results dry.gif . These days, it's one foot covering the brake and one hand on the horn for me

Archived