Pet Peeves

Hotplant

Sounds as if you lack experience as a shopper. She takes her time because she is reading labels and comparing products for value. She actually stops to think.

Ah, but she doesn't. She usually picks the worst value items. So, employing my lightning-quick accountant's brain, I review her selections, politely explain her errors, and adjust her choices accordingly. Thoroughly tedious, and quite possibly humiliating for her, but it has to be done.

And btw, I've been shopping for about 35 years.

This has happened to me lots of times. I wait patiently for a moment, then very politely asked "Pardon me ma'am, may I please move your cart a bit? Thanks so much!" and most likely she would have said "Oh gosh I'm so sorry! Sure!".

That said, I really think the stores need to widen the aisles.

Yes, I do most of my grocery shopping in the evening. Temperatures in southern Nevada in the day soar above the hundreds in June and July, and the evenings are more comfortable. One day last July the mercury rose to 118 degrees; way too hot to go outside. Explains why I tend to be a night owl, I guess.

118 degrees!!!God almighty,you cook the food at those temperatures not shop for it. :D

Well I disagree with you Electophile. First of all I politely asked her to please move her basket as I was obviously trying to get to the products that her basket was in the way of. And when she IGNORED me and I said I "pushed" her cart to the other side of the aisle, maybe I didn't word that very well. I did not shove the cart angrily or with undo force, I moved it out of my way since she chose to rudely ignore me and continue to INTENTIONALLY block me from getting to the items I needed to get to.

In what world that you are from is that type of passive/aggressive behavior acceptable?

Of course you would have. Because that naturally would be the"adult" way to respond

I live in the type of world where I don't act like a spoiled child throwing their toys out of the pram because a complete stranger in a store doesn't do what I tell them to. If I ask someone to move and they don't move, I leave and go do something else. I don't put my hands on them or anything that is with them, I don't shout back, I don't do shit. I leave. That's the grown-up thing to do. It's a fucking greeting card aisle, not Checkpoint Charlie. I'll come back to that aisle later after I've finished the other things I need to do there. That way she gets to act like a little brat, and I get the high ground by not instigating anything. Real freakin' simple, here.

So yeah, I would have broken out into hysterical laughter at the sight of two grown adults acting like kindergarteners.

If this woman blocking the way is acceptable behavior, and by that, I mean that one would just walk away and allow it, why not participate and get your items by being just as brash or more? Don't cower down, match the action or supercede. Some people don't understand reasoning, so you have to fight fire with fire and burn your opponent. PREVAIL !. ;)

Ah, but she doesn't. She usually picks the worst value items. So, employing my lightning-quick accountant's brain, I review her selections, politely explain her errors, and adjust her choices accordingly. Thoroughly tedious, and quite possibly humiliating for her, but it has to be done.

And btw, I've been shopping for about 35 years.

After you thoroughly decipher the nutritional labels?

I think the problem is that most people lead such vacuous existences that they actually enjoy wasting two hours of their day dithering in the aisles. Possibly it's even the highlight of their somnambulistic week. That's fine, but if that's their choice, they should be prepared to be jostled & harried by those of us who have more important things to get on with.

My approach, regardless of the time of day or the crowdedness of the shop, is similar to that 'trolley dash' TV show, can't remember what it's called - hurtling around corners on two wheels, grabbing shit off the shelves whilst still moving, jogging without the trolley through log-jammed aisles to get stuff, then back down the next aisle to hook up with my abandoned trolley. It helps keep me fit, too.

Of course, some people look at me like I'm doing 90 in a 30 zone, and it's always unfortunate when I smack into a kid. But I've yet to maim anyone, or even come to blows - although there are regular shouts of 'wanker' :lol:.

I think the problem is that most people lead such vacuous existences that they actually enjoy wasting two hours of their day dithering in the aisles. Possibly it's even the highlight of their somnambulistic week. That's fine, but if that's their choice, they should be prepared to be jostled & harried by those of us who have more important things to get on with.

My approach, regardless of the time of day or the crowdedness of the shop, is similar to that 'trolley dash' TV show, can't remember what it's called - hurtling around corners on two wheels, grabbing shit off the shelves whilst still moving, jogging without the trolley through log-jammed aisles to get stuff, then back down the next aisle to hook up with my abandoned trolley. It helps keep me fit, too.

Of course, some people look at me like I'm doing 90 in a 30 zone, and it's always unfortunate when I smack into a kid. But I've yet to maim anyone, or even come to blows - although there are regular shouts of 'wanker' :lol:.

Actually, the less time a person spends in a grocery store, the less money they are likely to spend.

Yes, I do most of my grocery shopping in the evening. Temperatures in southern Nevada in the day soar above the hundreds in June and July, and the evenings are more comfortable. One day last July the mercury rose to 118 degrees; way too hot to go outside. Explains why I tend to be a night owl, I guess.

How do you manage in those Temperatures, are your freezer Aisle full of people just hanging about to keep cool!! :)

IMO men should not be allowed in the Supermarkets, they are far to rude.

If shopping is such a chore for them they could always shop on line, and leave us Ladies in peace to Browse at our Lesiure. :lol:

Anyone from the Southwest will tell you "it's a dry heat" meaning it's hot but not humid, as a means of explaining why they don't mind how hot it actually it gets. However, let's be real here. 118 in the shade is hot, whether there's 100% humidity or 2% humidity. Last summer, the heat indices around here got up to near 120, and that's beyond absurd for this part of the country. I hope it's not like that again this year. <_<

IMO men should not be allowed in the Supermarkets.

I couldn't agree more ! I haven't been in years and have no desire to do so :D . I think men should also stay away from laundry and diaper changes :shifty:

I couldn't agree more ! I haven't been in years and have no desire to do so :D . I think men should also stay away from laundry and diaper changes :shifty:

LOL, I guess my dad's not a real man then because he's done more than his fair share of laundry and diaper changes. In fact, according to my mom, when my sister and I were babies if either of us cried during the night, my dad got up....not her. He knew his place. :lol:

LOL, I guess my dad's not a real man then because he's done more than his fair share of laundry and diaper changes. In fact, according to my mom, when my sister and I were babies if either of us cried during the night, my dad got up....not her. He knew his place. :lol:

I just changed a poopy diaper when I got back from the grocery store. Good thing I'm not lactating....

B)

:lol: My husband does laundry and has done plenty of diapers (my dad, on the other hand ...) fortunately for both of us we are long past the diaper stage :lol:

I think women should stay away from ironing. <_< I would rather paint the garage, take out the trash and unclog all 3 toilets than iron.

Haha Brad, you've incurred the wrath of Electrophile. Having read some of her posts, it seems she has a bit of a rep here.

Actually I'm amazed (and a little disappointed, to be honest) that she hasn't flamed me yet....:nuke:

Haha Brad, you've incurred the wrath of Electrophile. Having read some of her posts, it seems she has a bit of a rep here.

Actually I'm amazed (and a little disappointed, to be honest) that she hasn't flamed me yet....:nuke:

We all know she has in the past - she doesn't need to do it with your new identity.

How do you manage in those Temperatures, are your freezer Aisle full of people just hanging about to keep cool!! :)

Yes, usually until the end of August. Ice skating rinks are also popular during the summer, and any place that is air conditioned as well.

IMO men should not be allowed in the Supermarkets, they are far to rude.

Well, that's true, but then, who would buy their groceries?:lol:

Hazards of the grocery stores

• Men who think they are on the football field
  • Children who think they are on the playground
  • Anyone on a skateboard
  • Clerks who follow you around the store to purposely annoy you (most are helpful, but there is an occasional grocery clerk who views the store as an opportunity for aggression (envision Cartman as a grocery store clerk, and you get the idea). When this happens, I find another store with cordial staff.
  • People on cell phones
  • Children throwing tantrums
  • Spilled liquid, fallen fruit, paper wrappers on the floor, and any other slip-and-falls waiting to happen

If shopping is such a chore for them they could always shop on line, and leave us Ladies in peace to Browse at our Lesiure. :lol:

• They could, but they won't.:lol:

:lol: My husband does laundry and has done plenty of diapers (my dad, on the other hand ...) fortunately for both of us we are long past the diaper stage :lol:

I think women should stay away from ironing. dry.gif I would rather paint the garage, take out the trash and unclog all 3 toilets than iron.

Na, truth be known, I talk a good game but in reality, I'm just Mrs Ally's pool boy :D

Archived